Just for Today

Options
I once heard a very wise person say that she was just one cookie away from being 300 lbs again (she was about 150 lbs at the time). I thought that statement was a little drastic at the time. However, I have come to realize the truth of it. I followed a very rigid eating plan to lose the weight after my 4th child. But when my baby turned one, that piece of birthday cake that I ate quickly turned into 30 lbs gained. I know now that if I don't keep control of the food, it will control me. That being said, I find the thought of eating healthy for the rest of my life to be a little (okay, a lot) daunting. That's why tomorrow has become my best friend. I tell myself that I'm going to eat healthy forever, so I will enjoy one last day of treats today. Unfortunately, today has lasted for several months.

So my new mantra is "For Today". I will not think about eating healthy tomorrow (until tonight when I plan tomorrow's food). I will decide to eat healthy "for Today". When I get through today, I will recommit tomorrow, and the next day and the next. Hopefully, when I've chosen the right enough times, I will forget to have to choose, it will just be my life.

Replies

• Llamos4110
    Llamos4110 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    What a wonderful idea! I have a really hard time resisting food "in the moment" myself. My mantra for the last few weeks has been, "Don't give up what you want MOST for what you want right NOW". It doesn't work every time, but it works often enough to see me losing weight instead of gaining it! Good luck!
  • CricketKate
    CricketKate Posts: 3,657 Member
    Options
    Just for Today: I will make a difference.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Just for Today: I will make a difference.
    you already have have Hon, you already have!:heart:

Just for Today: I will be myself.
  • FancyPantsFran
    FancyPantsFran Posts: 3,687 Member
    Options
    Just for day I will not care what my scale says
  • uhl3357
    Options
    I really like this. I have lost 75 pounds and I can totally relate with the "one cookie away". It's never one of anything. So I am going to try your advice...just for today, and tell myself maybe tomorrow I will eat that cookie, but I am not going to today.
  • uhl3357
    Options
    "Don't give up what you want MOST for what you want right NOW".

Yes! Thanks for the addition to the positive affirmation list!!!!
  • lambchoplewis
    Options
    Love this. I have to be rigid as I will binge eat or binge drink. I have to say NO!! I stopped for a while and gained back 10 lbs. Tomorrow will NOT be my best friend. It is today.

I have been alcohol free for 4 days and I feel great. I decided that today is going to be a great day!!!
  • CricketKate
    Options
    Just for Today: I am unstoppable.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Just for today: I will not eat the coffee cake in the break room. Maybe I can have a piece tomorrow if it fits my calories.
  • FancyPantsFran
    FancyPantsFran Posts: 3,687 Member
    Options
    Just for today I will not let fear & doubt stand in the way of my success!
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Love this. I have to be rigid as I will binge eat or binge drink. I have to say NO!! I stopped for a while and gained back 10 lbs. Tomorrow will NOT be my best friend. It is today.

I have been alcohol free for 4 days and I feel great. I decided that today is going to be a great day!!!
    Fantastic!

Just For Today: I will accept not being perfect.
  • cpanus
    cpanus Posts: 19,437 Member
    Options
    Just for Today: I will walk past the candy bowl in HR.
  • Takes2long
    Takes2long Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Just for today...I"m done eating and my diary is closed!. Just for today, I logged ALL my food. Just for today, I"m happy with those 2 things :smile:
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Just for today...I"m done eating and my diary is closed!. Just for today, I logged ALL my food. Just for today, I"m happy with those 2 things :smile:

LOVE this!
  • 1longroad
    1longroad Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Just for today, I will love myself enough to make myself proud!!
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    Just for today,I will log my food .
  • shell_mc
    shell_mc Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Just for tonight, I will stay out of the kids' Halloween candy :)
  • JessiBelleW
    JessiBelleW Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    Just for today I will stay under my calories and eat healthy foods :)
  • cpanus
    cpanus Posts: 19,437 Member
    Options
    Just for Today: I will find the positive side of everything.
  • CricketKate
    Options
    Just for Today: I will track everything.