Pastry Chef: Immoral and Unethical?

Options

Replies

• Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Here is the situation I’m currently facing and I don’t know what to do.

So I have a friend who announced that she was moving into a new profession. SHE IS BECOMING A GOURMET PASTRY CHEF!

So everyone is congratulating her on this big step in her life and all I can think is…WHY!? So she will be preparing pastries and directly contributing to the obesity epidemic in America. What’s next, should I congratulate the Marlboro man on the new gourmet cigarette brand he is coming out with? I just think it’s wrong for someone to knowingly provide sugar laden treats to others knowing the harm it causes. And even worse, these are gourmet treats which people are likely to eat even more of!

I don’t know. If it were me, I don’t think I would be able to live with myself if I knew I would be harming people like this long term. They are throwing her a going away party in a few weeks and she is going to be providing a sampling of her work for us. I’m still undecided if I should attend with these concerns. I’m not sure what kind of message that will be sending ya know?

What you guys think? Am I right? Or should I ease up, be happy for my friend and go to the party even if I feel like I’m compromising on my morals and ethics?

Go to the party.. bring me your goodies.. i will make sure they are properly disposed of..
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options
    tumblr_m7fkgr8SKa1qb4p3ko1_500.gif
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    tumblr_lyahnn6QfA1r5t3iw.gif

This is coming from a girl who's currently looking into going to pastry school herself. Just cause you're on a diet doesn't mean people can't indulge once in a while on great food they love. What about birthday cake or wedding cake? Bakers do those and if everyone had the mentality you do, everyone would have to eat packaged stuff...which is probably worse for heath in my honest opinion because at least food from a bakery is made with real ingredients. It's like rolling your eyes at a person for becoming a mechanic because he puts cars on the road for all the drunk and reckless drivers. She's not stuffing chocolate into people and making them fat, people are doing that themselves. I get your point of view but I don't agree with it at all and if someone told me they disagree with me following my dream because it makes people fat.....I'd throw a cupcake at them.....but I'm aggressive that way.

Honey, I already went to school. What he means is that I just got offered a position in a restaurant.

Trust me, DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY. It cost me $26,000+interest and there are so many self-taught chefs out there now. You can teach yourself. Just think about it. If I could do it over again, I would never have gone to culinary school.

I'm sorry. I hope I did not offend you guys :flowerforyou:

I've just gotta do what is right for me ya know?
  • feelin_gr_8
    feelin_gr_8 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Sounds a bit overboard...no pastry chef or candy company made me fat, I did that on my own but not learning self control!
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    My only comment would be: do you pay her bills?

If not, then it's none of your business as long as what she is doing is legal.

To think only of yourself is a little shortsighted don't you think? Will you pay for her to get trained in another profession?

My wife and daughter eat carbs at night, but I don't shun them....get over it.

I think the legality of sugar needs to be looked into...it should basically be banned as a controlled substance.

Only makes sense considering how many people are addicted to it.

Naturally
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Also, Pop Tarts arent pastry!!!
  • BaoCat
    BaoCat Posts: 42
    Options
    Give her congrats.

Pastry is an art form. Don't confuse it with the fact that people may not have self control. It's no where like smoking...

It's not like they're the crack dealers of the food world.

Seriously, wouldn't you condemn ANY chef with that kind of reasoning? Because quite realistically, many things deemed 'gourmet' are hellaciously bad for you. And most folks get fat off of everyday stuff, not exclusively treats made by an actual pastry chef.

I, for one, would tell her good luck as a friend, and also laugh and ask that she practice 'healthy treats' so I don't balloon up as her test subject.

She's a friend, right? Then you can say stuff like that. Or tell her OMG - don't let me be your test subject! If it's a matter of will.

But I wouldn't be judging her / projecting your anger at the world over bad eating on her. Well... maybe if she gets a job with Little Debbie or something... heh heh. But seriously, WE are in control of our choices. No pastry chef stuffed a Palmier down my throat.

I'd be more worried (as her friend) about whether she was prepared for a potentially rough road ahead. There's alot of low paying jobs in food service, and if she's starting this new career from scratch, with no experience to give her an edge, it's definitely a risk.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options

Says who?

geyW9wG.jpg?1
  • lousoulbody
    lousoulbody Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    bump
  • magerum
    Options

Now you're talking.

5083524217_693ae41807_z.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ1vfADblFHkyZUItCP7u16IdMZJ1GkCSIQ6__7UcCFXuZxT4_2
  • emjay6x3
    emjay6x3 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    :laugh:
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

Says who?

geyW9wG.jpg?1

Sugar Cookie????

Oh hells yes.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    What you've got to do is cut the hamstring on the back of her leg right at the bottom. She'll never make pastries again, because her weight displacement goes back, all her weight is on her right foot, and she'll push everything off to the right. She'll never make anything even with the rolling pin. She'll quit her job.

bwhahahahahaha +1,000,000 then you can be the Cinderella kid straight out of nowhere
    It looks like a mirac- it's in the hole!
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options

Now you're talking.

5083524217_693ae41807_z.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ1vfADblFHkyZUItCP7u16IdMZJ1GkCSIQ6__7UcCFXuZxT4_2

I just licked my monitor. That is a thing of beauty...
  • magerum
    Options

Says who?

geyW9wG.jpg?1

Sugar Cookie????

Oh hells yes.

You might like these too

gingpop01.png
  • Howdoyoufeeltoday
    Howdoyoufeeltoday Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    tumblr_lyahnn6QfA1r5t3iw.gif

This is coming from a girl who's currently looking into going to pastry school herself. Just cause you're on a diet doesn't mean people can't indulge once in a while on great food they love. What about birthday cake or wedding cake? Bakers do those and if everyone had the mentality you do, everyone would have to eat packaged stuff...which is probably worse for heath in my honest opinion because at least food from a bakery is made with real ingredients. It's like rolling your eyes at a person for becoming a mechanic because he puts cars on the road for all the drunk and reckless drivers. She's not stuffing chocolate into people and making them fat, people are doing that themselves. I get your point of view but I don't agree with it at all and if someone told me they disagree with me following my dream because it makes people fat.....I'd throw a cupcake at them.....but I'm aggressive that way.

Honey, I already went to school. What he means is that I just got offered a position in a restaurant.

Trust me, DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY. It cost me $26,000+interest and there are so many self-taught chefs out there now. You can teach yourself. Just think about it. If I could do it over again, I would never have gone to culinary school.

I wouldn't be doing full culinary school, I have a school where I live (Quebec) they teach specific training for pastry making so it would be just learning the basic techniques behind pastry and baking. It's a one year program and it's not NEARLY as expensive as culinary school. However, I may or may not be doing that cause I just discovered I might have a slight allergy to dairy..which is not a good allergy for a pastry chef to have. We'll see where the wind takes me. Might have to self teach. I bet your food is Kick *ss though. :tongue:
  • BaoCat
    BaoCat Posts: 42
    Options

Says who?

geyW9wG.jpg?1

Says the french bakery down the road from work. :P

Seriously... when you get a really NICE pastry, suddenly junk food is so totally NOT worth it. And tasteless in comparison.

If I'm going to have an occasional treat, it's going to be a REALLY good one. I have the same mentality about chocolate.

It at least helps filter out some of the junks in life. 99% of what's brought into my office falls into the 'meh' category.
  • ryry_
    Options
    You should kill her to save the others. It's the right thing to do.

LOL at first I was thinking this is a joke post but then I got kind of upset over the post and the sanctimonious tone.

Then I read this and it made me laugh, and now I dont care.

Why is this a joke?
  • ThePlight
    ThePlight Posts: 3,593 Member
    Options
    Food can be art if you let it be. Simply don't eat it if you do not want it. People need to be taught to eat in moderation and that is not her job. If she made a gorgeous batch of cupcakes, I would admire them, but only eat enough to get a taste of them and count my calories. Otherwise, I'd be setting myself up for failure.
  • ryry_
    Options
    Wow... Pretty soon people will not be held accountable for anything they choose to do. Just because she makes delicious pastries doesn't mean they have to eat them to the point of obesity. Or would you have us all just living in a bubble having ****ing lean cuisine slushies pumped into our stomachs???

I 100% believe people should be accountable for what they do, including tempting people into eating foods they should not.