Skipping Thanksgiving

Options
12346»

Replies

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Seriously? Just go eat some food, yo.

Stuff like this is what makes all of your families sit you down and say that you don't need to lose anymore weight. Its not your actual size, its your messed up attitudes towards food. Its being so scared of food that you will skip an entire holiday so you aren't faced with the horrible prospect of pie. Not someone force-feeding you pie, just being in the same room with pie.

However, if you want to skip the holiday because your family is crazy and its stressful, well, join the club. We meet at the bar.

:laugh:

All of this.
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Stuff like this is what makes all of your families sit you down and say that you don't need to lose anymore weight.
    :laugh: True.
    Be grateful that you have family close enough to see. Isn't that what Thanksgiving is about? Being thankful for all you have?

I would give anything to see my family over the holidays, but they're states away.
    She doesn't owe anything to her relatives. She's allowed to spend the holiday by herself. Just bc you don't have family doesn't mean that everyone else has to spend time w theirs. :angry:
    You could just eat the food and get over it. How on earth is one day going to ruin you?
    OP, DON'T GO!!! This is what you'll have to put up w the entire time. She doesn't want to eat any fattening Thanksgiving Day food. She obviously doesn't trust herself to eat just one "normal" serving. Why are y'all trying to force her to go? :laugh:

Who said I don't have family? I will be with my Husband and my Son.

The rest of my family is spread across the country. My Aunt is dying of brain cancer and probably will never have another Thanksgiving. So excuse me for thinking it might be a good idea to spend time with loved ones if you can. I forgot Holiday's no longer have any actual meaning.
  • teamAmelia
    teamAmelia Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Stuff like this is what makes all of your families sit you down and say that you don't need to lose anymore weight.
    :laugh: True.
    Be grateful that you have family close enough to see. Isn't that what Thanksgiving is about? Being thankful for all you have?

I would give anything to see my family over the holidays, but they're states away.
    She doesn't owe anything to her relatives. She's allowed to spend the holiday by herself. Just bc you don't have family doesn't mean that everyone else has to spend time w theirs. :angry:
    You could just eat the food and get over it. How on earth is one day going to ruin you?
    OP, DON'T GO!!! This is what you'll have to put up w the entire time. She doesn't want to eat any fattening Thanksgiving Day food. She obviously doesn't trust herself to eat just one "normal" serving. Why are y'all trying to force her to go? :laugh:

Who said I don't have family? I will be with my Husband and my Son.

The rest of my family is spread across the country. My Aunt is dying of brain cancer and probably will never have another Thanksgiving. So excuse me for thinking it might be a good idea to spend time with loved ones if you can. I forgot Holiday's no longer have any actual meaning.

I was joking, sort of. But, you just reinforced my point. Because your aunt is dying, you're trying to get the OP to spend time w her own family. I'm pretty sure that she and everyone else knows that their loved ones could die at any moment. It still doesn't mean that she has to spend her holiday with them. Besides, if people truly care about their families, they wouldn't wait until Thanksgiving to spend time with them. There are so many ways to keep in touch with your family, regardless of how far away you are. I'm right. The-end.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I used to love spending time with my family at Thanksgiving. Then we acquired some crazy step family and they kind of ruined it all for the rest of us.

This^^

I do get to see my family on the regular, we live close by and spend time together weekly. I know my mom is going to be upset for abandoning her with the Step-family, but she married the guy, not me.

I think I got it worked out. I'm going to go into work. They just started taking volunteers for Thanksgiving day, so I put my name on the list. I'll put in 4 hours, and not have to go spend the whole day walking on verbal egg shells because I have nothing in common with my step-family.

Oh, I'm a bartender. The boss is serving everyone who works on Thanksgiving a turkey dinner (and all the customers will get dinner for the price of the cover charge). I'll keep all the Orphans company on Thanksgiving.

win/win/win!
  • bombedpop
    bombedpop Posts: 2,185 Member
    Options
    why not travel? I haven't had "thanksgiving" in 6 years - have been in Spain, France, China, etc. It is a half work week - good time to go away and international flights are fairly empty on holidays.

This year am having 1st thanksgiving with the family in forever, my mom asked what I wanted, I had to ask what they normally eat - I forgot.
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    truly, faking the flu is probably your best bet if you are serious. I might do that too.. I been trying to think of a good excuse to dodge the in laws and their judgemental comments, comparing me to his ex, and horrible food.
  • Fivepts
    Fivepts Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Or....

You could just go and enjoy your time with your family and not eat that much.

But hey, whatever. Don't go if you don't want to. You're a grown woman.

This is the real issue for me. Going and not eating that much. Maybe you can sneak in the bathroom and enter every bite you put in your mouth on MFP and at least you will be holding yourself accountable and seeing if you are splurging. That's what I'm going to try to do.
  • leadiax3
    leadiax3 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I feel the same exact way about wanting to just stay home ... I want to cook the turkey in a low calorie manner, have vegetables that don't include a stick of butter, and other side dishes for my two children and husband. I am stressed out that I would disappoint my larger family by choosing to stay home.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Cherish these times while you still have your family to attend these events.

So very much this...

I have a pretty neat trick to stop well meaning relatives from piling my plate up to the roof though. I say "no thank you."

If you want to skip the holidays then fair play to you but there is nowhere else I would rather be than with them on those days.
  • gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    cause skinny people skip holidays all the time :huh:
  • Lives2Travel
    Lives2Travel Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I won't be skipping Thanksgiving this year or any other. I don't see the logic in skipping Thanksgiving (or any other event for that matter) just to avoid the food. I'd rather learn how to deal with the temption than avoid it. Now if you want to skip it to avoid certain family members, that I can understand!
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    However, if you want to skip the holiday because your family is crazy and its stressful, well, join the club. We meet at the bar.
    :laugh:

All of this.

omg....yess. Ever since we were kids, we would hang out with the family, but when we could slip away, we'd meet down at the neighborhood corner store that sold beer. It was perfect. Parental units never caught on and we there would always be stuff they needed from the store, milk, butter, etc.

I remember ALL holidays were spent with family first & then the beer/bar later, just like funerals & wakes :ohwell:
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I used to love spending time with my family at Thanksgiving. Then we acquired some crazy step family and they kind of ruined it all for the rest of us.

This^^

I do get to see my family on the regular, we live close by and spend time together weekly. I know my mom is going to be upset for abandoning her with the Step-family, but she married the guy, not me.

I think I got it worked out. I'm going to go into work. They just started taking volunteers for Thanksgiving day, so I put my name on the list. I'll put in 4 hours, and not have to go spend the whole day walking on verbal egg shells because I have nothing in common with my step-family.

Oh, I'm a bartender. The boss is serving everyone who works on Thanksgiving a turkey dinner (and all the customers will get dinner for the price of the cover charge). I'll keep all the Orphans company on Thanksgiving.

win/win/win!

I don't think anyone ever would have an issue with this. This comment just seems radically different from, "I just want to curl up with a book because I don't want to deal with so much food."
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

This^^

win/win/win!

I don't think anyone ever would have an issue with this. This comment just seems radically different from, "I just want to curl up with a book because I don't want to deal with so much food."

Pretty much everyone, including yourself, misunderstood what she initially said. I don't know why. I got it right off the bat. Everyone focused on the food. She didn't. She said avoiding the food was a bonus, but that she just wanted to curl up with a book and enjoy a quiet day home alone.

Yeah. Curl up with a book. Food being the bonus. Her "I have crappy family" and "I want to go out and work" doesn't line up with the initial post. Understood pretty clearly--now the story changes. Whatev.
  • calliekitten9
    calliekitten9 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I understand what you mean....and the choice is really yours....I will be going to my mom's and yes, I will record (albeit estimates) all I eat.

These are the things I plan to do:
    -Fill only 1/2 to 2/3rdsof the plate
    -Focus more on turkey and vegetables this year
    -Cut back on potatoes, stuffing and creamed onions
    -Wait 15 minutes before getting seconds
    -Drink lots and lots of water
    -For dessert, I'll focus on fruit rather than pies (although I will have one blondie).
    -Go for a nice long walk with my sister in law and nieces while my brothers and step father are watching football.
  • ashedw425
    Options
    Curl up with a book any regular day of the week, or pick up an extra shift some other day, spend time with your family...