Wedding Ring Debate

Options

Replies

• mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    I would resize the traditional band at least. Part of the point of wearing a wedding band is letting others know your "taken" (at least, to many people), and wearing on the "wrong" finger may give some weird vibes concerning that.

But ask your wife if she's willing to compromise and let you keep the other ring for the right hand on the different finger, if you want.
  • docsandy
    docsandy Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    A dramatic change , such as the one you've made and continue to make, can make your life partner feel insecure. She may view your reluctance to wear your wedding on your "ring finger" as a subtle signal that the "new" you is available. If her concerns are important to you, get your ring sized and put it back where it belongs.
  • just_Jennie1
    Options
    Get them re-sized when you're at your goal weight. Let your wife know that once you hit your goal weight you'll be putting the rings back on the correct finger.

The only time I wear my wedding ring now is when I get dressed up.

My husband rarely, if ever, wears his. He's not a fan of jewelry and he almost lost it once so he's kind of banned from wearing it.

In all honesty I don't see what the big deal is when it comes to wedding bands and whether or not some people choose to wear them. I get that it's boasting to the world "I'M MARRIED! HANDS OFF THE GOODS!" but in reality it's just a symbol. Not wearing a ring doesn't make you not married.
  • mrsamanda86
    mrsamanda86 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't care, but it's not my opinion that counts. If it is important to your wife, I would have them resized when you are at maintenance.

^^This.
    My hubby can't wear his rings most of the time because of the job he does. It doesn't bother me, he doesn't give off a single guy vibe and I know I can trust him so whatever. It sucks that he doesn't get to wear it that often because it's a super cool looking ring, but that's about the only reason I care lol I take mine off when going to the gym now because I recently cracked the band of my engagement ring, luckily it doesn't pinch and it's sodded together to my wedding band so not a huge deal... just gonna wait till I need to get it resized and have all of it done at once.
  • steveinct
    steveinct Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I can't believe this is even an issue for you. There is about 1 million things a guy must do to ensure your woman feels happy and secure and we, as men, don't understand 99.9% of them. This is in the0.1% of things that is freaking easy! Do it!
  • Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    Get your left-hand ring sized, at least. If you want a conversation starter then wear a loose watch, or get an "Ask me about my weight loss!" button made or something.
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    I think it really just depends on how important it is to your wife and what the two of you decide together.
    My husband has lost his wedding ring TWICE and is now on his third ring. Each time, he went a few months in between without any ring at all, but it was important to both of us that he have one, so we replaced it.
    Now that I've lost as much weight as I have, my wedding/engagement rings are VERY lose and often slide around on my finger. I intend to get them sized, but for now, I went to the grocery store and bought a $10 ring to match in a smaller size and plopped it on top of the other two rings to hold them in place. It works perfectly, but I'm not sure many guys would accept that as an adequate solution.

Actually, it might. The prongs on my diamond/set need to be replaced (so I don't lose the stone) and we haven't been able to do that. I bought a $10 band at Wal-Mart a few years ago and usually wear just that. Even when we do the the diamond ring fixed, I'll probably wear just the band for most things so I don't damage my fancy ring. (I think wearing the diamond all the time is a generational thing … my grandma was a post WWII bride and had a diamond and a plain band. She always wore the band, but added the diamond just for special occasions/dressy and it seems like most of her generation did the same)
  • gobonas99
    gobonas99 Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    But if it's important to her, ask yourself if it's worth fighting over.

And is a conversation piece more important to you than making sure the woman you love is happy?

Just compromise. Get the wedding band resized and wear the other for conversation :P

QTF. Re-size your wedding band. Which finger you wear the claddaugh on doesn't really matter now that you have a wedding band. :smile:
  • ethompso0105
    ethompso0105 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I agree with the couple of people who suggest resizing your wedding ring (that WOULD make a difference to me) but keeping your other ring on your middle finger. Presto--conversation starter AND a happy wife! :)

PS--congrats on your weight loss!!!
  • Julzanne72
    Julzanne72 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Get your left-hand ring sized, at least. If you want a conversation starter then wear a loose watch, or get an "Ask me about my weight loss!" button made or something.
    ^^^^^ This !! LOL!
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    My husband has lost about 30 lbs which has made his wedding ring quite loose. He doesn't need to lose more weight. He's a mail carrier and as the weather chills, it's not uncommon for his ring to fly off. Thankfully, it's been at the office before he's delivering. I've actually encouraged him to leave it off. Even knowing there are ladies where he works that fancy him. I would rather he wear it when he's not at risk of losing it. And, we are too cheap to pay for resizing. So, personally it doesn't matter. But, like everyone else (just about) has pointed out...if it matters to YOUR wife, you should probably pay attention to what she's saying.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    But if it's important to her, ask yourself if it's worth fighting over.

And is a conversation piece more important to you than making sure the woman you love is happy?

Just compromise. Get the wedding band resized and wear the other for conversation :P

QTF. Re-size your wedding band. Which finger you wear the claddaugh on doesn't really matter now that you have a wedding band. :smile:

Just a Note: The claddagh is more significant to me than the band. (It's a wedding ring too, after all). She got it for me when we got engaged (because it's an engagement ring too). At the wedding ceremony, when we did the rings, I also flipped the claddagh around too. But, I'm on my 3rd wedding band. I HATE the original, and never really wore it - there was a mistake, and it was a 2mm (instead of 5mm) wide ring - looks ridiculous on my snausage fingers.
  • sullus
    Options
    I can't believe this is even an issue for you. There is about 1 million things a guy must do to ensure your woman feels happy and secure and we, as men, don't understand 99.9% of them. This is in the0.1% of things that is freaking easy! Do it!

It's not even a big issue for me. I wouldnt resize the wedding band, I'd just buy a new one, but - I don't want to touch the claddagh. And I can't really explain why to myself, nevermind to all y'all ...
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I wear 2 rings; a standard wedding ring on my left hand, and a claddagh on my right. For a couple years, I wore neither, because they didn't fit. Well, I lost enough weight to start wearing them again, but then something happened; I kept losing weight and now they are too big. They were spinning around, falling off - I've had to fish 'em out of the disposal, trash at work, etc ..

Well here's the debate. To solve this issue, I started wearing them on my middle fingers instead of my ring fingers. My wife however, is insisting that I get them resized so that I can wear them on the correct fingers, but I've decided I kind of like them on the "wrong" fingers. (I have to say I kind of like the .. "Hey, what's up with the rings?" .. well, I used to weigh over 300 .. "nooo ****. wow.") This debate has not gotten heated, nor do I think it will .. it just exists, and comes up from time to time.

So anyway I figured I would post the question here because MFP'ers tend to be quiet and reserved in their opinions, and will treat me gently, with dignity and respect.

Does it REALLY matter which finger you wear the ring on?

I think whenever your wife complains you should display both the fingers the rings are currently on and tell her she's always gonna be your #1. Be sure to check back to tell me how it goes.

(P.S. You can also tell your wife you don't need rings on correct fingers to keep the ladies at bay. You've got that great shirt and glasses going for you. This is not mean but an honest observation as everyone knows women only like men in tight Tshirts and shades and skinnyjeans. You are dressed in the official "off the market" uniform and have no needs to worry about the "single ladies".)
  • sullus
    Options
    I wear 2 rings; a standard wedding ring on my left hand, and a claddagh on my right. For a couple years, I wore neither, because they didn't fit. Well, I lost enough weight to start wearing them again, but then something happened; I kept losing weight and now they are too big. They were spinning around, falling off - I've had to fish 'em out of the disposal, trash at work, etc ..

Well here's the debate. To solve this issue, I started wearing them on my middle fingers instead of my ring fingers. My wife however, is insisting that I get them resized so that I can wear them on the correct fingers, but I've decided I kind of like them on the "wrong" fingers. (I have to say I kind of like the .. "Hey, what's up with the rings?" .. well, I used to weigh over 300 .. "nooo ****. wow.") This debate has not gotten heated, nor do I think it will .. it just exists, and comes up from time to time.

So anyway I figured I would post the question here because MFP'ers tend to be quiet and reserved in their opinions, and will treat me gently, with dignity and respect.

I think whenever your wife complains you should display both the fingers the rings are currently on and tell her she's always gonna be your #1. Be sure to check back to tell me how it goes.

(P.S. You can also tell your wife you don't need rings on correct fingers to keep the ladies at bay. You've got that great shirt and glasses going for you. This is not mean but an honest observation as everyone knows women only like men in tight Tshirts and shades and skinnyjeans. You are dressed in the official "off the market" uniform and have no needs to worry about the "single ladies".)

That's just how I dress. I've been an old man since I was 15 ...
  • Sovictorrious
    Sovictorrious Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Just wear the ring
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    My husband never wore his wedding ring.

We're divorced now.

Care to play "Choose Your Own Adventure?"
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options

That's just how I dress. I've been an old man since I was 15 ...

I know what you mean. My kid is an old man and he's only 6. It took quite a convo to get him to concede to NOT wearing a tuxedo to kindergarten. Still can't get him out of polo's and buttondowns. It's cute though. I like the preppy style personally, but yeah out there in the dating world your outfit is like woman repellant.
  • run2bfree
    run2bfree Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    personally I wouldn't care. BUT if it bothers the wife - you should make it a priority. get'em sized.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    Just wear the ring

OMG for some reason this response from this user just gave me the PERFECT answer. Maybe you can wear the ring on your 21st finger that way it's right where it needs to be when it needs to be seen. OTherwise it's none of anyones business, but when it's go time, it's right where it would get the most attention and be a deterrent, yes?