I need to quit drinking to get healthy!

Options

Replies

• anybeary
    anybeary Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I don't get it: you only drink 3-4 times a year and you need help "giving it up"? You've already managed to give it up on 362 or361 days of the year. What's so tough about abstaining on those other 3 or 4 days? If you really feel like you have to drink on those 3-4 occasions, I suggest you bring your own fixings for some sugar free non-alcoholic mocktails to the party. This is what I did to quit drinking (and I drank 2 or 3 times a WEEK), and it's worked for me without too much agony.
  • AlyssaJoJo
    AlyssaJoJo Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Since joining MFP I haven't given up drinking, but drasticlly cut down. Now it's just another thing I make a treat. And when I do go out and drink, or have drinks at home, I have a glass of water between each drink. Yes, sometimes I get a weird look from the bartender when I'm constantly ordering a beer and a water, but it paces me and helps me never over do it!
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I usually do log all foods.

No you don't - which is where your problem lies. And that's where your problem has always been. Every single time you have asked for advice on MFP the answer is always the same:

Track everything and be consistent.

You have trouble with that. So, you make threads to ask (in different ways) how to solve your problem of not seeing results. But no matter how you ask the question, the answer isn't going to change. Track everything - accurately - and be consistent.

Tracking everything means scanning barcodes, using entries or making them when necessary, even for baked goods and fast foods. Tracking everything means every bite you take, every single day, gets logged.

Being consistent means tracking every single day and sticking to a workout routine for an extended period of time. Being consistent also means sticking to your calorie goal. Every single day.

Once you can track everything (EVERYTHING) and be consistent for an extended period of time, you will see results. Until then, you will continue to be frustrated and jump to conclusions about things that are actually immaterial to your progress.

^ THIS

This.gif

2v8Gz4d.jpg

Emma_Watson_THIS_Gif.gif

Dianna_this.gif

Okay done resynthesizing....NOPE, still ^this agggh.gif

hey_heisenberg_was_this_gif_overused_in_the_bryan_cranston_ama-58107.gif
  • KeViN_v2pt0
    KeViN_v2pt0 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I've come to finally realize that I totally need to quit drinking in order to reach my fitness goals. Even though I only drink 3-4 times a year, each one a is a gooder and too much alcohol is involved which leads me to do/feel the following: Smoke cigarettes. Eat junk during drinking. Eat junk the next day and lay in bed. Feel fat the next day. Feel like a loser the next day. Im even pretty sure that if certain drugs were present while im drinking, that I would do them.
    These are all good reasons not to drink. Now here is one VERY important reason I should not drink. D I A B E T E S - I have it! Type 1. Other very good reasons are: sabotaging my healthy eating all week by bombarding with junk food from drinking, not exercising due to hangover and feeling like lazy loser. Alcohol is BAD on both my mental and physical health! It is not worth it to feel good for a few hours at the bar dancing and stuff. I need to learn to dance sober and that's it!
    Anyways, Im looking for people's thoughts and advice on how I can make this happen! I don't consider myself an alcoholic but sure enough, it does run in my family. I just think that drinking isn't for me because it's ruining my fitness goals and messing up my diabetes.

34556247.jpg
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

No you don't - which is where your problem lies. And that's where your problem has always been. Every single time you have asked for advice on MFP the answer is always the same:

You have trouble with that. So, you make threads to ask (in different ways) how to solve your problem of not seeing results. But no matter how you ask the question, the answer isn't going to change. Track everything - accurately - and be consistent.

Tracking everything means scanning barcodes, using entries or making them when necessary, even for baked goods and fast foods. Tracking everything means every bite you take, every single day, gets logged.

Being consistent means tracking every single day and sticking to a workout routine for an extended period of time. Being consistent also means sticking to your calorie goal. Every single day.

Once you can track everything (EVERYTHING) and be consistent for an extended period of time, you will see results. Until then, you will continue to be frustrated and jump to conclusions about things that are actually immaterial to your progress.

^ THIS

This.gif

2v8Gz4d.jpg

Emma_Watson_THIS_Gif.gif

Dianna_this.gif

tumblr_mtsfkez0Tq1sf5h7zo1_500.gif
  • BarbaraCarr1981
    BarbaraCarr1981 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    8. Eat less, move more. Lather, rinse, repeat. : I guess i should try more of a 15% cut even though LOTS of people say i shouldn't when i im so close to goal. Not sure what to do here.

NO

You should try actually tracking every bit of food and staying within your calorie allowance EVERY SINGLE DAY.

And seriously - using cleaning to increase you TDEE - this means you could be wrong with that amount. BUT you won't know unless you accurately log and stay at your calorie goal.

You know exactly what to do - you just choose not to do it.

I haven't chose anything yet. im reading all ur posts first, then i will chose. But i definately am going to try logging EVERYTHING and staying within calorie goal EVERYDAY. Except for this weekend. As for TDEE increases from cleaning. Um ya, of course my TDEE is gonna be higher on a day that im cleaning and running after my 2 year old. And TDEE is gonna be lower on a day that I sit in the office for 8 hours.

Another except. You ALWAYS have an except...

I think you should be more conservative with your TDEE, especially since there are days you DO sit in an office for 8 hours.

This is the TDEE calculator i used today. http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/. For couch potato is gave me BMR 1457 and TDEE 1747 and wen i set it to exercise 3 times a week i got TDEE of 2002. I do StrongLifts 3 times a week and I play badminton once a week and I go for a couple afternoon walks with my son (chasing him). Anybody see anything wrong with my TDEE calculations? I only do if i should really be set at couch potato cause then im really just maintaining my weight. Which is not what i want.
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    lots of people can drink responsibly...and lots of people in fitness give up alcohol altogether. either find a healthy balance...OR go cold turkey. i quit for reasons not related to getting physically healthy, but emotionally and mentally healthy. its had wonderful results in the way i physically feel too.

6+ years of sobriety right here :)
  • LePetitCochon
    Options

^ THIS

This.gif

2v8Gz4d.jpg

Emma_Watson_THIS_Gif.gif

Dianna_this.gif

Santittany_THIS_Gif.gif
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    How's your lifting going?
  • KindredSouls
    KindredSouls Posts: 188 Member
    Options

^ THIS

This.gif

2v8Gz4d.jpg

Emma_Watson_THIS_Gif.gif

Dianna_this.gif

Yes%2Bsir%2BD%2Bthis%2Bgif%2Bwas%2Bgolden%2B_483d2e3ead21878f296690ac04d468c4.jpg

57921-Oprah-you-are-absolutely-right-Vu6s.gif
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    hunger-games-quotes-20_large.gif
  • BarbaraCarr1981
    Options
    Honestly, Barbara, what is boils down to is hard work.

When you go to McD's for dinner, are you working hard? No
    When you choose not to log, are you working hard? No
    When you are strolling around the block with your 2 year old and calling it exercise, are you working hard? Yes! Walking fast with the stroller/sometimes jogging. If no stroller, im chasing him so he doesn't run away and get onto the road.
    When you are sitting at a desk for 8 hours, are you working hard? No
    Is an hour and a half of Badmitton a week really working hard? I do it because i enjoy it. If it was everyday of the week, i would totally be there.
    I'd also like to ad that i do StrongLifts 3 times and week and that it hard EVERYTIME, Espeically those squats!

Losing weight, getting fit, reaching goals...ANY GOAL...requires hard work. If it isn't hard, you aren't doing it right.
  • BarbaraCarr1981
    Options
    How's your lifting going?

My current lifting stats are
    Squats 95lbs -up 5lbs each time
    OHP 55lb -trying to master and strengthen here for the last 3 weeks
    Bench 60lbs -trying to master and strengthen here for the last 3 weeks
    Deads 150lbs-increasing 5lbs each time
    Rows 75lbs.-increasing 5lbs each time although i think im gonna have to redo 75lb again this wed.
  • iamanadult
    iamanadult Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Ignore the haterz, OP!!! :noway:

Their will always be jealous people tryin to bring you down. Good luck and keep up the good work! :flowerforyou:
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options

When you are strolling around the block with your 2 year old and calling it exercise, are you working hard? Yes! Walking fast with the stroller/sometimes jogging. If no stroller, im chasing him so he doesn't run away and get onto the road.
    Is an hour and a half of Badmitton a week really working hard? I do it because i enjoy it. If it was everyday of the week, i would totally be there.
    I'd also like to ad that i do StrongLifts 3 times and week and that it hard EVERYTIME, Espeically those squats!

Losing weight, getting fit, reaching goals...ANY GOAL...requires hard work. If it isn't hard, you aren't doing it right.

1. I have a hard time believing that walking with you son in a stroller is an intense workout. Sorry. Why not just chalk that up to a bonus and set aside some time to do actual cardio for yourself?

2. Strong lifting does not burn nearly as much as you would think. An hour of CrossFit is only 375 calories and that's strong lift AND cardio. When I don't add the intense cardio element, it's in the 200s. That's not a lot, so I supplement my CrossFit with running 1-2 times per week. So CF 3-4 times/week, running 1-2 times per week. I noticed that when I started adding the running in regularly, I started dropping pounds in addition to cutting the inches.

3. Unless you are running around the court like crazy for a prolonged period of time, Badmitton is not that cardio intensive. It just isn't. Tennis, on the other hand, will kick your butt.

If you don't believe me, get an HRM. It will blow your mind.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options

Their will always be jealous people tryin to bring you down. Good luck and keep up the good work! :flowerforyou:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Trust me - no one here is jealous, all the "haters" have just seen variations of this post from this op sooooooo many times. And she never truly follows the advice, which has always been.

Log everything, everyday and stick to your calorie allowance.

There is always an excuse for her not getting the results she wants - this time she is blaming it on drinking 4 times a year - I'm mean come on - seriously. :noway:

PMSL at jealous :laugh:
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options

I just wanna go on record to say this lady has never come to my place for dinner. The end.
  • KindredSouls
    Options

Actually there are no haters posting in this topic.... only people that have been around for quite some time and are trying to help. When someone doesnt take responsibility for what they are doing wrong, the results will always be the same. If people would simply ask a question and possibly follow the answers the outcome may be different and they wouldnt have to repost the same thing over and over expecting to get a different answer.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Ignore ALL the haterz, OP!!! :noway:

FIFY
  • KindredSouls
    Options

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Trust me - no one here is jealous, all the "haters" have just seen variations of this post from this op sooooooo many times. And she never truly follows the advice, which has always been.

Log everything, everyday and stick to your calorie allowance.

There is always an excuse for her not getting the results she wants - this time she is blaming it on drinking 4 times a year - I'm mean come on - seriously. :noway:

PMSL at jealous :laugh:

Exactly my point! Now if only the OP would follow the answers and listen considering we just gave the same answer at the same time