LOW CARB DIET from today.- who's with me?

Options

Replies

• vampirequeen1959
    vampirequeen1959 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Add me as a friend please.
  • Chris_B62
    Chris_B62 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I am a 51 year old Dialysis Nurse in Oklahoma doing Keto. I am 17 lbs into a 115 lb loss goal that began on 10/12/13, one day before my birthday. I am interested in making new friends, no matter what method you follow to attain your goals, and am especially interested in others doing keto w/ open diaries so we can exchange food ideas and expand our possibilities. I would be happy to be a part of anyone’s support team. Please feel free to send a friends request my way.
  • spottedkathy
    spottedkathy Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I do low carb. Feel free to add me!
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    No.
  • prettyface55
    prettyface55 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I did low carbs/ atkins a couple years ago, and lost weight quickly, and i felt awesome..

Today is my first day carb cycling.. going to give it a shot. I ate low carbs today, tomorrow ill go with normal carbs, then low carbs, normal..
  • KADouble88
    Options
    where is the group? i would love to start up this plan. ive never low carb dieted before however. is anyone willing to help a n00b
  • Boxerlove72
    Options
    Me, me, me!!!!! Add me! Need all the help I can get!
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    best for whom?
  • Ralthor125
    Ralthor125 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    To all those wishing to start a low carb diet, here are some resources for you to consider:

http://www.ketogenic-diet-resource.com/ketogenic-diet-plan.html

http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/1160-keto

http://peaceloveandlowcarb.blogspot.com/p/re.html

Feel free to add me if you want, I like having new friends!
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Carbs are difficult to digest which then can cause it to come and stay on our tummy, thighs and other fatty areas of our bodies.
    Um, what? Care to explain?
    A calorie controlled diet can be depriving and leave us still hungry. So it makes sense to be able to eat as much food as we need to feel full (low carb foods) in oppose to depriving ourselves and constantly counting the calories before putting anything in our mouth. Consequently, once you finish a calorie controlled diet and get back to eating normal all the weight is bound to come back on so its more of a quick fix rather than a long term solution. A low carb allows you to eat without feeling hungry and poorly. It does not make sense to eat "anything" as eating junk food is hardly a way of lpsing weight. Making it a diet which can take a very long ime to lose weight.
    I can't speak for everyone, but I'm not counting calories until I hit my goal weight, then going back to how I ate 2 years ago. I've changed how I eat. Keeping a food diary keeps me in check so |I don't go back to how I used to eat and be 300+ pounds.

What you've said can be said about any diet type that you're not going to continue.
  • TArnold2012
    TArnold2012 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    What are does this group define "low carb" numbers? I am currently doing no more than 100 and 100 or more protein daily.
  • JoJo__Fit
    JoJo__Fit Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I did it for 7 weeks , I was at 30 carbs a day, I lost 8lbs. I missed carb so much now I'm at 100g a day and I very much enjoy Complex carbs :) . I'm still trying to burn some more fat then it's maintance for me. But I'll join you :)
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Carbs are difficult to digest which then can cause it to come and stay on our tummy, thighs and other fatty areas of our bodies.
    Um, what? Care to explain?
    A calorie controlled diet can be depriving and leave us still hungry. So it makes sense to be able to eat as much food as we need to feel full (low carb foods) in oppose to depriving ourselves and constantly counting the calories before putting anything in our mouth. Consequently, once you finish a calorie controlled diet and get back to eating normal all the weight is bound to come back on so its more of a quick fix rather than a long term solution. A low carb allows you to eat without feeling hungry and poorly. It does not make sense to eat "anything" as eating junk food is hardly a way of lpsing weight. Making it a diet which can take a very long ime to lose weight.
    I can't speak for everyone, but I'm not counting calories until I hit my goal weight, then going back to how I ate 2 years ago. I've changed how I eat. Keeping a food diary keeps me in check so |I don't go back to how I used to eat and be 300+ pounds.

What you've said can be said about any diet type that you're not going to continue.

Agreed. Also I consider low carb to be the essence of deprivation, so it seems odd to me that you (OP) would see it the other way. To each their own I suppose.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Please add me, I have just been reading about carbs and how the wrong kind can make us fat and unhealthy!
    I would think there needs to be a balance?

While I respect that people try different things, I disagree with your statement that the wrong kind of carbs can make us fat and unhealthy. The only thing that makes us fat and unhealthy is eating too much of any food at a calorie surplus. We lose weight when we eat at a calorie deficit, and it does not really matter what we eat.

However, I can understand how certain foods can be triggers to eat more. When we eat more we gain weight.

Eating a well balanced diet and at a calorie deficit is definitely the key to losing weight.

Everyone has their own opinions and ideas of how and what works and doesnt. Therefore o leave that upto you to go along with your ideas. I am merely giving suggestions to people to suggest what does work. If you look at research you will see the negative effects of white carbs (unhealthy) carbs such as rice pasta and bread whixh makes you gain weight so if you are just going to do calorie controlling you may lose weight but will not learn to eat the right foods for our body. Carbs are difficult to digest which then can cause it to come and stay on our tummy, thighs and other fatty areas of our bodies.

Really?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

This makes no sense.

How does eating in moderation make it a 'diet', yet eating very low carbs not? How about when you go back to eating 'normally' after low carb?

And no, the weight is not bound to come back on. You are eating normally with a calorie controlled diet - you just have portion control. No difference than eating at maintenance.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Please add me, I have just been reading about carbs and how the wrong kind can make us fat and unhealthy!

A caloric surplus makes us fat.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    when i'm not eating, i am very low carb. however, during meals and while snacking, i allow myself to eat carbs without counting or tracking them.

i figure i eat for perhaps 20-25 minutes per day in total, so for the other 23 hours and 35 minutes, i'm very low carb. would this count for your challenge? if so, i'm in!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options

While I respect that people try different things, I disagree with your statement that the wrong kind of carbs can make us fat and unhealthy. The only thing that makes us fat and unhealthy is eating too much of any food at a calorie surplus. We lose weight when we eat at a calorie deficit, and it does not really matter what we eat.

However, I can understand how certain foods can be triggers to eat more. When we eat more we gain weight.

Eating a well balanced diet and at a calorie deficit is definitely the key to losing weight.
    If you look at research you will see the negative effects of white carbs (unhealthy) carbs such as rice pasta and bread whixh makes you gain weight so if you are just going to do calorie controlling you may lose weight but will not learn to eat the right foods for our body. Carbs are difficult to digest which then can cause it to come and stay on our tummy, thighs and other fatty areas of our bodies.

Carbs in and of themselves do not make us gain weight. It's eating at a calorie surplus (above maintenance) that causes us to gain weight. You can lose weight on twinkies all day if you eat at a calorie deficit, just as you can gain weight a low carb diet if you eat more calories than you burn.

I have no trouble digesting carbs.
  • Kotuliak
    Kotuliak Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    A low carb diet can be as strict as you personally want it and depends a lot on your will power. The general rule I like to follow is:

No bread
    No pasta
    No rice
    No potato
    No junk
    I'm in the same boat - for the most part. For me it's the complex carbohydrates that cause me to gain weight - but as long as I stick with sugar (preferably brown sugar, but honey is even better - wholesome and delicious) the weight comes off with virtually no effort. I'd like to join the group...
  • ahalling81
    ahalling81 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I started to carb cycle on Monday. What version of cycling do you do?