Do you "lie" on your food diary?

Options

Replies

• carolina822
    carolina822 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    If I'm logging, I tell the truth but if you see 1000 calories worth of quick add, it's probably because I drank a bunch of beer and would rather not be judged for it even though it may have fit into my calories for the day.
  • s3girl
    s3girl Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have in the past, but for the latest push, I've been tracking more metrics than just calories and use them in a 7-day running average which does two things for me:

1) It means I can have that cheat day without throwing off my running average too much.
    2) It looks at my diet over an entire week and allows me to figure out where and why I cheat.

Pretty cool.
  • Michealwho
    Michealwho Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    The only time I have not added something is when I have finished logging for the day and it was a late night treat, and I knew I had enough calories left to stay under my limit. If it was going to push me over my 1800 cals, I would either not have it or log it.

:smile:
  • TigerBite
    TigerBite Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    If I'm logging, I tell the truth but if you see 1000 calories worth of quick add, it's probably because I drank a bunch of beer and would rather not be judged for it even though it may have fit into my calories for the day.

Ha, ha, I on the other hand am quite proud when I kill a bottle of wine by myself, and log it with pride!
  • ellskiNZ
    ellskiNZ Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I generally am honest, unless I binge, in which case I just leave it blank.
  • Chris_B62
    Chris_B62 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    As others above have said. If you lie on your diary, you're lying to yourself. It has no effect on anybody else. I try to log everything. It gives me a better view of what I need to eliminate or add to. I don't add in sugar free gum, this keeps the munchies at bay and has no effect on calories consumed I do have to estimate portions sometime. For example, today, I was at a meeting where lunch was served. I had to estimate the amount of sliced brisket I at based on practice w/ weighing all my food portions in the kitchen.
  • michellelandis33
    Options
    I do not lie on my journal. I am noting everything...if I want to have a bite I have to write. I would only be cheating myself and I want this to work for me...I thought that mine wouldn't be seen...but even if it is..I hope to be an inspiration at some point...I am not perfect....doing this for me and my health.
  • BekaBooluvsu
    BekaBooluvsu Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I'd rather make my diaries private than lie on them. Accountability is key and for me it's a constant reminder of what I am doing right or wrong. I think some people put quick add calories because they don't want other people to know what they actually consume or they eat under on because they have a perception that less is more.
  • Karababy51
    Karababy51 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I'm always honest & try to be as accurate as possible in my food diary. I bought myself a digital food scale & weigh everything, except for things like hamburger buns, cheese slices etc. Those things are already in single servings, so it's not needed. If there's something that's not in the database, but I can find it by online research (ex. my weekly trip to Subway), I'll log it as quick calories and post a food note of what I ate. My recipe ingredients are always weighed, then combined and calculated mathematically for single servings to be accurate as well.

Lying would just defeat the purpose of what MFP was designed to do, help me keep within my calorie deficit goals to lose weight and lead a much healthier lifestyle.

At the moment I'm at a maximum of 1200 calories a day. I try to come as close to that as I can, with a little leeway for database inaccuracies, so most days I hit around 1050-1100. I lead a pretty sedentary lifestyle at the moment with little to no exercise, so I don't need anymore than that.

Once I begin a consistent exercise program, I'll modify my goals. But for now, I'm always satisfied, never hungry, I'm not losing my hair, I don't feel weak, tired or constantly cold etc. I take a daily multi-vitamin and drink water all day long. I actually feel better than I have in decades, my skin is softer and I don't get headaches anymore from being in a constant state of dehydration. I used to drink 6-8 RC colas every day and NO water.

So, my food diary might seem as if I'm starving myself to some people, perhaps not logging everything, etc., but believe me, that's exactly what I eat every day since I started this journey 60 days ago. There's even a few days included at the beginning before I actually began when I logged out of curiosity to see exactly how many calories I was actually consuming. It was shocking and opened my eyes to just how terribly I was treating my body. So glad I found MFP!

*Note - My food diary is open if anyone cares to take a look. There's a few recipes (which I'll gladly give to anyone) and it's not very exciting, I'm a creature of habit. Except last week Hubby was on vacation so it was a little different and I went over for the first time one day because of an intestinal situation... if you get my drift. o.O
  • carolina822
    carolina822 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I will add that I just bought a real food scale and have used it to weigh things like deli meat, cheese, cereal, pasta, apples (because the ones I got from the mountains last week are HUGE!) and so I suspect I've been underestimating some things.

I'm not going to weigh every bowl of lettuce, slice of onion, or red pepper than I eat. If I get fat from eating too many leafy veggies, well, I guess I'm just supposed to be fat.
  • zorbaru
    zorbaru Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    usually if im having a bad day i just stop logging.

that way i dont get to down on myself and keep it going into the next day.

write it off and move on.
  • benefiting
    benefiting Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    If I do lie it's because I don't measure everything. I estimate. Apparently it isn't healthy to be on anything under 1200 (for woman) so no, it's not considered healthy. With that being said I can be under my 1200 at times but I do try and not to be.
  • Just_Kim_
    Just_Kim_ Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Why lie? How would that benefit me?
  • grammagie
    grammagie Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    NO. there is no reason to lie..not beneficial
  • padams2359
    padams2359 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    It seems I have to track more now in Maintanance than I did when I was loosing. In some aspects I am a creature of habit. Breakfast is always the same, coffee w/ sugar, suppliments, and yogurt w/ pumpkin flax seed. 305 calories. Snacks are usually the same. It is the foods I am adding to get to my extra calories that I need to track. So, if you think you get to your goal, you can stop, wrong. It is the same as when you started the plan, unless you want to go back a dig or go shopping for more Fat Pants. JMO
  • xmysterix
    xmysterix Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Nah, if anything I try to give myself some wiggle room (overestimation). But now that I have my nifty new digital food scale, that'll happen less.

I want this to work. Not exactly sure what lying/cheating accomplishes.
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    I used to! I dont anymore
  • Debbie_Ferr
    Debbie_Ferr Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    If you don't log it, there's no proof that you ate it.
    If there's no proof that you ate it, guess you didn't eat it.
    If you didn't eat it, then you didn't consume the calories.

isn't that how it works ? :wink:
    doesn't get any easier than that.

:
  • Wildgypsie22
    Options
    I don't lie, and my calories some days are low and reason being is I don't feel like eating. If I have a sandwich I can only eat half, if I have soup I only have a cup full. And some times If I go out and enter my meal and I get many various calorie counts I put in the highest. Why? Because I don't want to go over that way I still stay under, if I see it written down I won't go over. If that makes sense lol.:smile: if I cheat, I'm cheating myself so no point I'm cheating
  • vampirequeen1959
    vampirequeen1959 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I don't lie. If anything, like a lot of others, I over estimate. The diary is a working tool for me so it would be foolish to lie on it as it would fail in it's purpose.