Pastry Chef: Immoral and Unethical?

Options

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Speaking as someone who never eats pastries: good for her. It's an art. If it's her passion. Great.

Pastry chefs didn't cause the obesity epidemic. People have been eating them for years.

Many things contribute to the fact that 1 in 3 (or whatever the number is today) Americans are overweight. Why begrudge one person and one food?

If she worked for Monsanto I'd have a hard time saying "yay good for you". But pastries?

(no I'm not saying monsanto caused the epidemic, just saying it's more than a little icky.)
  • abetterluke
    abetterluke Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    That was quite possibly the most ridiculous post I've ever read.

I haven't even ready any of the responses but I'm sure there's a large influx of hilarity ensuing.
  • MaiLinna
    MaiLinna Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Pretty sure cigarettes and a few pastries are two completely different things. Perfectly healthy people can eat pastries and not become sickly and weigh 500 lbs.

Equivalent of what you just said:

"Crafting guns is immoral and unethical because guns kill people."

Remember, guns don't kill people. Pastries don't kill people. Stupid people kill people, including themselves.
  • Flab2Fab27
    Flab2Fab27 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    You should kill her to save the others. It's the right thing to do.

carol-2.jpg
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    Pretty sure cigarettes and a few pastries are two completely different things. Perfectly healthy people can eat pastries and not become sickly and weigh 500 lbs.

Equivalent of what you just said:

"Crafting guns is immoral and unethical because guns kill people."

Remember, guns don't kill people. Pastries don't kill people. Stupid people kill people, including themselves.

Exactly, which is why we need to ban both to save us from ourselves.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

carol-2.jpg

Well played.
  • FirecrackerJess
    FirecrackerJess Posts: 276 Member
    Options

carol-2.jpg

Well played.

Hahahaha! That was brilliant lol.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    I own a cake bakery... does this make me a bad person?

In for cake!

(Pops up head) Did I hear someone say CAKE!!!????
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options

carol-2.jpg

hey, give us all a spoiler alert heads up! :laugh:
  • chirosche
    chirosche Posts: 66 Member
    Options

What you guys think? Am I right? Or should I ease up, be happy for my friend and go to the party even if I feel like I’m compromising on my morals and ethics?

Come on...you can't wipe treats off the face of the earth and obesity is related to food addiction and other health/psychological issues. Most people don't overeat treats. They're treats. We all have to learn balance and that has more to do with understanding food and how it affects your body's health. Everyone on this site is not battling with obesity and food addiction. Food is medicine and if we learn to eat right 80% of the time, 20% of the time we can splurge on treats your friend is so nice to become in expert in preparing. I applaud her for being a pastry chef and making people happy with her sweet concoctions.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    bump

i HAVE to know if you go to the party and what you bring.
  • funkyspunky872
    funkyspunky872 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    Is this a joke??

I don't get it.
  • funkyspunky872
    funkyspunky872 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    -Cracks knuckles-

Okay, are you saying that your friend is a horrible person with no morals or ethics just because she's gotten a job as a pastry chef? Am I horrible person for making cupcakes today for my family? Are you a horrible person for sitting on your a** typing up this post when you could be out shoving carrot sticks down fat kids' throats?

Hmmm.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

carol-2.jpg
    noooooooo not carol!!!!!!!!!!
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    I don't want to sound rude or mean.....

but YOU sound mean!

There are plenty of people in this world that deserve a damn pastry! Each one of us has to make our own damn decisions. If I know that pasty is bad for me, I wont eat it. Or maybe I will and it will be MY problem, not hers!

THIS is the problem with our country! It is always someone elses fault! The makers of Doritos and f*cking chocolate did not make me fat! My poor decision making made me fat.

Get over yourselves people!

Yeah people! Get over yourselves! $&*%*&#)%#!!!
  • rileyhunter169
    Options
    The OP makes me want to pillow scream. SO What? She can do whatever she wants, a pastry chef does not make people eat pastries; people make that CHOICE. So what if they do that's not your judgement call. With all due respect though, but your being dogmatic and obsessive. Now it's great that you love fitness, health and vitality; but at this point it goes to far and I recommend you see a psychologist. Now, you also failed to realize she can make and sell healthy and good tasting pastries with newly acquired skills. If not, I'll just have to consume them in MODERATION, while flexing my abs and pecs on camera which I will happily send to anyone who disagrees with my humble yet arrogant opinions and rantings. Flexible Dieting on the daily.
    But you should be more supportive, otherwise, you'd be a bad friend for being stuck up and looking down at things your not into, which I admittedly have that problem with World of WarCraft and other online games, none of us are innocent.
  • marye2021
    marye2021 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Here is the situation I’m currently facing and I don’t know what to do.

So I have a friend who announced that she was moving into a new profession. SHE IS BECOMING A GOURMET PASTRY CHEF!

So everyone is congratulating her on this big step in her life and all I can think is…WHY!? So she will be preparing pastries and directly contributing to the obesity epidemic in America. What’s next, should I congratulate the Marlboro man on the new gourmet cigarette brand he is coming out with? I just think it’s wrong for someone to knowingly provide sugar laden treats to others knowing the harm it causes. And even worse, these are gourmet treats which people are likely to eat even more of!

I don’t know. If it were me, I don’t think I would be able to live with myself if I knew I would be harming people like this long term. They are throwing her a going away party in a few weeks and she is going to be providing a sampling of her work for us. I’m still undecided if I should attend with these concerns. I’m not sure what kind of message that will be sending ya know?

What you guys think? Am I right? Or should I ease up, be happy for my friend and go to the party even if I feel like I’m compromising on my morals and ethics?

here are my 2 cents.

1. I think you are COMPLETELY trolling for posts ( seriously though some of the replies had me laughing REALLY hard, maybe a little tearing up happened) so get over yourself and grow up. The title itself is inflammatory and knowingly will incite either outrage in agreement and hence coming to your defense over others---> outrage in disagreement.

2. If-- and that is a VERY BIG if-- you are serious here are some things to consider when debating whether or not to attend your 'friend's' going away party and to alert her that she is 'directly contributing to the obesity epidemic in America".
    2a. Are you prepared to lose her (and potentially others) as a friend when this irreparably blows up in your face?
    2b. If you HONESTLY feel that you are compromising your morals and integrity by just BEING there (and not partaking of the delectable treats), then no, you should not go, it's like an alcoholic going to a bar where a going away party is being held...?
    2c. You need to remember that gourmet treats (like many others have said) are smaller in size, what that translates to, is they are the correct serving size of what desserts should be (but aren't). Also based on the price people are less likely to buy 7 boxes of them and eat them alone in the parking lot of Walmart.

Side note, since the correlation is pastry chef is to obesity epidemic I can only logically assume that finance/ stock market trading is to complete collapse of the American economy, I mean am I right? :drinker:
  • rileyhunter169
    Options
    I'd like to mention,
    Increase in organic food sales is correlated with increases in autism with a strong correlation.
    Think about it.
  • L257
    L257 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    OP- stop talking about pastries, you made me crave one and so I ate one and now it's your fault if I get fat and die! YOU KILLED ME!

I think you don't go far enough because you haven't looked at the bigger picture, not only should we boycott and socially isolate our pastry chef friends, but also anyone working in the field of sofa-production, car production, tv/cinema, spas and massage places, people who run an office, or any other business that encourages people to sit when they could be running laps. In addition, anyone involved in the production, disribution or marketing of any food except egg or lettuce.

But first, let's take a minute to remember all those poor souls who lived in the worlds pastry epi-centres, like France, Germany etc. They had lots of pastry chefs who made pastries.... wait for it.... AVAILABLE! I know! So obviously the entire population of those countries died out years ago............................................. oh, wait....... nevermind.

Now I'm off to write lines "i will not feed the troll" x 50

P.S: I'm realllllllly curious to know what moral and ethical job the OP holds?
  • Flab2Fab27
    Flab2Fab27 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I would kill for a gourmet pastry right now.