I hate Deadlifts and Squats

Options

Replies

• beekay70
    beekay70 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I appreciate (almost) all of the input. So far, only one a$$wipe with nothing more to do in her pathetic Internet life but to comment that the mere title of the discussion invoked nothing but pity from her. In person, I'm sure she's awesome. On the Interwebz, she comes off a bit in-your-face-b!tchy.

I will press on and progress through these lifts and I will ensure that my form is spot on before adding weight.

I hardly think you know enough about me to call me an a$$wipe (which violates TOS, by the way....but hey, whatever).

I do feel bad for you that you hate 2 of the most important lifts. They are very beneficial and I find them extremely enjoyable. When I know something is good, I feel bad for the people who don't see it that way.

Sorry for being in-your-face-b!tchy :flowerforyou:

Good luck finding suitable replacements for 2 important lifts that could be very, very good for you and your progress!

Well, I appreciate the less hostile tone.

Anyway, just because I expressed a dislike for these lifts doesn't mean that I won't do them. The responses on this thread have only confirmed the importance of these. That being said, I'm not going to suddenly start liking them just because I need to do them. Others have expressed dislike for the bench or the OHP. They still do them.
  • peachcats
    Options
    Don't do them.
    I absolutely hate deadlifts and never do them. They're the most overhyped lift possible.

And I think suggesting beginners to squat and deadlift without someone coaching them is horrible, they're going to snap the **** out of their back.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I do not understand this post. Hate DL and Squat? Just No.
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    It depends on where you want to go man. Squats and DL's are the foundation of building strength. If you have a crappy foundation then the structure on top will not be as sound as if you did IMO. Once you start putting on some big weight and see what your body can do with it you will like it more. I hated DL's with a passion but once I broke into lifting 200% BW I started liking them more. Same with Squats....once I broke into big weights and saw progression I got hooked. I also like the side effects of lifting big weight.
  • beekay70
    Options
    Thanks, Danny_Boy.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    No one said it was easy. When I say that after returning to them after a hiatus that I didn't enjoy them anymore goes back to the root of my query: why don't I enjoy them as much as I enjoy the bench press?

Honestly, I really don't get the point of this thread. Are you asking US why YOU don't enjoy Squats & Deadlifts as much the Bench Press? What are we mind-readers now?
    Hasn't happened yet. I don't know anyone stupid enough or big enough an *kitten* to call someone a whiner for not liking something. Only keyboard warriors do that.

You're whining about not liking something, period. Sorry, that's not being a keyboard commander, that's being factual.

This thread is full of a lot of WHINE.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one who is a bigger @$$ IRL than online? The MFP Community Guidelines (all hail) are a much stricter filter than what I personally use in real life. (I can even correct spelling and grammar there.)

I just don't understand the "keyboard warrior" comments that are thrown around here...(ironically, from keyboards).
  • beekay70
    Options
    No one said it was easy. When I say that after returning to them after a hiatus that I didn't enjoy them anymore goes back to the root of my query: why don't I enjoy them as much as I enjoy the bench press?

Honestly, I really don't get the point of this thread. Are you asking US why YOU don't enjoy Squats & Deadlifts as much the Bench Press? What are we mind-readers now?
    Hasn't happened yet. I don't know anyone stupid enough or big enough an *kitten* to call someone a whiner for not liking something. Only keyboard warriors do that.

You're whining about not liking something, period. Sorry, that's not being a keyboard commander, that's being factual.

This thread is full of a lot of WHINE.

I posted this to ask about alternatives, form, and other people's experiences. I didn't post to whine, didn't post to be insulted, and didn't post to ruin your day. I didn't tap you on the shoulder at the gym. I didn't even solicit your opinion, but you've provided it anyway. Thanks again. You've been very helpful.
  • SoLongAndThanksForAllTheFish
    Options
    Instead of squats, if you have a leg press machine that you can load with weights, you can do leg presses and all the other leg machines (calf raise at the same leg press station, leg curls, leg extensions at least). I got into a habit of doing this after a knee injury and not liking the rack available and I now tend to do this instead still, since I dont like bruising my shoulders each and every time even with a pad. You can usually do at least 1.5x the weight on a leg press machine though (depending on angle), so you need a lot of available plates. Sometimes its a pain in the butt trying to get enough if you go heavy and the gym is light on plates.
  • Hauntinglyfit
    Hauntinglyfit Posts: 5,537 Member
    Options
    Squats are kind'of like a crazy lover, you hate them, but the sex(results) is awesome.

Deadlifts are like a great lover with amazing personality. I put a ring on that finger long ago.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options

I posted this to ask about alternatives, form, and other people's experiences. I didn't post to whine, didn't post to be insulted, and didn't post to ruin your day. I didn't tap you on the shoulder at the gym. I didn't even solicit your opinion, but you've provided it anyway. Thanks again. You've been very helpful.

My first post was helpful-did you even bother to read it?

Thank you for insulting me for no reason other than trying to figure out why you started this thread.

Not a keyboard commander sweetie, nor did I make any inappropriate comments to you. You start a thread & ask for people's comments then you get pissed when you get comments you don't like & lash out at people (like myself ). Nice.
  • UCSMiami
    UCSMiami Posts: 97 Member
    Options

Thank you for insulting me for no reason other than trying to figure out why you started this thread.

Not a keyboard commander sweetie, nor did I make any inappropriate comments to you. You start a thread & ask for people's comments then you get pissed when you get comments you don't like & lash out at people (like myself ). Nice.

Too many people in this thread condescended the OP. Very few offered helpful advice but you have to wade through a lot of "LOOK How witty I am" to find them. I notice that sort of thing happens a lot here.

OP. I think you need to look back at all of the posts and extract the good info. Basically, either switch to other movements, look to your form, get on a structured program and look at all of the inputs, etc.etc.
  • beekay70
    Options

What are you even talking about? The only thing I complained about were the "whiner" posts. I thanked everyone for the constructive feedback.
  • jacklis
    jacklis Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Squats are kind'of like a crazy lover, you hate them, but the sex(results) is awesome.

Deadlifts are like a great lover with amazing personality. I put a ring on that finger long ago.

yup- besides, if someone I love was stuck on a train track I could now pick them up and put them down elsewhere.
    - or- my favourite is knowing that if a someone was really annoying the crap out of me, I could probably deadlift their spine out of their back... problem solved.

-shoot - will that get me banned? if so then, what I meant was something else. :wink:
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I appreciate (almost) all of the input. So far, only one a$$wipe with nothing more to do in her pathetic Internet life but to comment that the mere title of the discussion invoked nothing but pity from her. In person, I'm sure she's awesome. On the Interwebz, she comes off a bit in-your-face-b!tchy.

I will press on and progress through these lifts and I will ensure that my form is spot on before adding weight.

I hardly think you know enough about me to call me an a$$wipe (which violates TOS, by the way....but hey, whatever).

I do feel bad for you that you hate 2 of the most important lifts. They are very beneficial and I find them extremely enjoyable. When I know something is good, I feel bad for the people who don't see it that way.

Good luck finding suitable replacements for 2 important lifts that could be very, very good for you and your progress!

Anyway, just because I expressed a dislike for these lifts doesn't mean that I won't do them. The responses on this thread have only confirmed the importance of these. That being said, I'm not going to suddenly start liking them just because I need to do them. Others have expressed dislike for the bench or the OHP. They still do them.

The first post wasn't hostile. That's just how you chose to interpret it.

That's the thing about the internet. You can assume....but you never really know the true intentions of the poster. For example, I was feeling much snarkier in the second post than I was in the first post. But apparently using a :flowerforyou: and the word "sorry" negates that emotion from coming across. In my first post, I was just having a light-hearted laugh. But whatever.
  • born2drum
    born2drum Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    Standard deads are my fav I look forward to deadlifts because I kill it like a boss!!
  • beekay70
    Options

The first post wasn't hostile. That's just how you chose to interpret it.

That's the thing about the internet. You can assume....but you never really know the true intentions of the poster. For example, I was feeling much snarkier in the second post than I was in the first post. But apparently using a :flowerforyou: and the word "sorry" negates that emotion from coming across. In my first post, I was just having a light-hearted laugh. But whatever.

My apologies. I obviously took it the wrong way.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    There are no alternatives that are as effective as the squat. Considering it takes you less than 10 to 15 minutes of your workout time to get through a good number of sets of squats, why not just suck it up and grind through them?
  • beekay70
    Options
    There are no alternatives that are as effective as the squat. Considering it takes you less than 10 to 15 minutes of your workout time to get through a good number of sets of squats, why not just suck it up and grind through them?

Thanks. That's the plan.
  • FromHereOnOut
    FromHereOnOut Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    Try good mornings! I had horrible deadlift form that I just couldn't get right, so I tried these and they force you into the right position. I've seen HUGE progress in my hamstrings since I've been doing them. I think you might like them better than deadlifts, and not because they're easier ('cause they're not).

As for squats: Just gotta power through them. Leg days suck but I'd never skip 'em!

^^ This advice is worth trying. No substitute, but they were the first thing I thought of wrt deadlift.
    I heart good mornings! Also, maybe try weighted step-ups wrt squats.

General advice, if there is something you don't enjoy but ought to do anyway: choose great music and then just get on with it.

follow up, found this link. interesting.
    http://www.overspeedtraining.com/legsart.htm

again, "substitute"? I don't know. "Supplement"? surely