Vegetarian help for more protein?

Options
1235»

Replies

• kaylorraine44
    kaylorraine44 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Flexetarian here,
    On days I don't eat meat I typically eat foods like Greek yogurt, whey protein powder, Kashi Go Lean cereal, eggs, and soy milk/cows milk. I've found the introduction of protein powder to my diet to be very beneficial in terms of hitting protein goals and recovering from intense workouts. Good luck!
  • climbing_trees
    climbing_trees Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Vegan protein powder because shakes are perfect. :)

But things like, beans, hemp/flax seeds, Quinoa/whole grains, Lentils, Legumes, Tofu, Nuts/nut butters, seitan, tempeh, seeds,
    ^^^^^This

Quinoa especially. As far as I've heard, quinoa is the ONLY vegetarian COMPLETE protein. Make sure to have some quinoa in your diet if you are a vegetarian.

Eggs are a complete protein.
  • jamiesillimandunn
    jamiesillimandunn Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Vegetarian friendly
    Eggs - whites only 4.4
    Whey Isolate - standard 5.2
    Greek yogurt - 0% 5.7
    Cottage Cheese - non fat 7.2
    Milk - skim 10.3
    Mozzarella - part-skim 10.6
    Eggs - whole 11.0
    Milk - 2% 16.7

Vegan friendly

Plant-based protein powder (RawFusion) 5.5
    Seitan - generic 5.7
    Mushrooms - raw 7.3
    Spinach - raw 7.7
    Nutitional Yeast 8.6
    Tofu - firm 8.8
    Edamame - shelled fresh 11.1
    Lentils - dry 13.6
    Brussell Sprouts 14.3
    Beans - kidney 14.7
    Kale - raw 16.7
    Hemp Seeds - hulled 18.0
    Quinoa - dry 26.3

I'm not vegetarian by any means but my step daughter is so this ^^^^ is a goal I set for her so I know I'm feeding her well ;) would also suggest almond milk though you don't like nuts ...I don't taste nuts in it ...comes in vanilla ;)
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options

But things like, beans, hemp/flax seeds, Quinoa/whole grains, Lentils, Legumes, Tofu, Nuts/nut butters, seitan, tempeh, seeds,
    ^^^^^This

Quinoa especially. As far as I've heard, quinoa is the ONLY vegetarian COMPLETE protein. Make sure to have some quinoa in your diet if you are a vegetarian.

Trouble with eggs is cholesterol. To get the protein you need you are likely to overdose on it :-) Try eggs and protein powder :-) Unless you are vegan Whey protein should do :-0)
  • fxg20
    fxg20 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    "Quinoa? Gak. sick Tastes like sawdust. And what's with the non-intuitive pronunciation? grumble"

If it tastes bad you should try some different recipes. It's kind of like rice or tofu, not so much going on aside from what you surround it with. Great nutrition though.

As for the name...it's from the native South American language. Why would you expect pronunciation to be intuitive to a language it isn't sourced from?
  • fxg20
    fxg20 Posts: 61 Member
    Options

Who the hell do you think you are talking to little girl. It isn't my fault you are a poor excuse for a human. Hopefully you won't have kids, the world doesn't need more people like you.

I must have missed this little gem last night...

I wont bother retaliating against you, you most certainly are not worth much of my time, that's for sure.
    Karma seems to be taking care of you nicely (judging by the content of your profile) I hope you are having fun with all of that and long may it continue!

ETA - Aww you deactivated....I hope you're not drowning in your own bile or anything :drinker:

You are so hilariously mean. If you weren't a total snob, we could have been pals. :laugh:

I'm really sick of her coming into the "Make friends with Siansonea!" thread to post about these random tangents on vegetarian protein.
  • VeganLexi
    VeganLexi Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Vegetarian friendly
    Eggs - whites only 4.4
    Whey Isolate - standard 5.2
    Greek yogurt - 0% 5.7
    Cottage Cheese - non fat 7.2
    Milk - skim 10.3
    Mozzarella - part-skim 10.6
    Eggs - whole 11.0
    Milk - 2% 16.7

Vegan friendly

Plant-based protein powder (RawFusion) 5.5
    Seitan - generic 5.7
    Mushrooms - raw 7.3
    Spinach - raw 7.7
    Nutitional Yeast 8.6
    Tofu - firm 8.8
    Edamame - shelled fresh 11.1
    Lentils - dry 13.6
    Brussell Sprouts 14.3
    Beans - kidney 14.7
    Kale - raw 16.7
    Hemp Seeds - hulled 18.0
    Quinoa - dry 26.3

I'm not vegetarian by any means but my step daughter is so this ^^^^ is a goal I set for her so I know I'm feeding her well ;) would also suggest almond milk though you don't like nuts ...I don't taste nuts in it ...comes in vanilla ;)

Almond milk is nice, rice milk too! There's a lovely rice milk called "Rice Dream" their original organic milk is to die for :smile:
  • VeganLexi
    Options
    OP - If yo uare still checking this thread (I wouldn't blame you if you never came back :laugh:)

There are some nice recipes on here http://www.vegangela.com/tag/high-protein/
  • kingtermite
    kingtermite Posts: 82 Member
    Options

^^^^^This

You are correct. I was thinking "non-animal" (e.g. Vegan) sources, not vegetarian. Not paying close attention to OP. Going vegetarian, not vegan does provide more sources like eggs.

P.S. I could never go vegan because I'd never be able to give up eggs!
  • VeganLexi
    Options

^^^^^This

You are correct. I was thinking "non-animal" (e.g. Vegan) sources, not vegetarian. Not paying close attention to OP. Going vegetarian, not vegan does provide more sources like eggs.

P.S. I could never go vegan because I'd never be able to give up eggs!

http://thevegg.com

This is amazing!
  • runshellersrun
    Options
    Hi :-) Vegetarian here. You have gotten a lot of great ideas. I will throw in my favorites:

*protein powder mixed with water most days (120 cal)
    *Love cheese!
    *In colder months, I make a big pot of vegetarian chili with tons of beans and eat it over the week.
    *plain greek yogurt with a little granola
    *quinoa - just made some mixed with cheddar cheese and broccoli. Even my meat-loving husband loved it.
    *black bean burgers. I make them in the oven.
    *egg whites with avocado and cheese (made into a sandwhich if I have room for the bread calories.)
  • VeganLexi
    Options
    Hi :-) Vegetarian here. You have gotten a lot of great ideas. I will throw in my favorites:

*protein powder mixed with water most days (120 cal)
    *Love cheese!
    *In colder months, I make a big pot of vegetarian chili with tons of beans and eat it over the week.
    *plain greek yogurt with a little granola
    *quinoa - just made some mixed with cheddar cheese and broccoli. Even my meat-loving husband loved it.
    *black bean burgers. I make them in the oven.
    *egg whites with avocado and cheese (made into a sandwhich if I have room for the bread calories.)

I love black bean burgers, we have them quite a lot :smile:
  • lauraspberry
    lauraspberry Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    One word, SPIRULINA :) google it, it's kinda like an algae if I remember it correctly, but it has tons of protein in it.
  • VeganLexi
    Options
    One word, SPIRULINA :) google it, it's kinda like an algae if I remember it correctly, but it has tons of protein in it.
    Now this IS disgusting...we have it daily :sad:
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    i like nature's bounty chocolate protein and vitamin powder. it's good in smoothies and with oatmeal.

my protein comes from quorn products (egg white/microprotein they make veggie burgers and other meatless items).
    seitan made from wheat gluten - from there you can make seitan cheesesteaks, sandwiches, use it in a stir fry or in place of anything with beef tips, chicken or steak.
    eggs in various forms - omelettes, egg sandwiches, hard boiled on salads, over easy etc
    quinoa - quinoa risotto (cook quinoa in veg broth and then when it's cooked add in marinara sauce and grated parm, very tasty with spinach mixed in too), or quinoa patties found on skinnytaste.com. you can also use quinoa in a dish that would call for pasta or rice, it is very tasty and a full protein.
    beans are awesome, black bean burgers, quesadillas or burritos with black beans, sweet potato burrito with kidney beans (from allrecipes.com), beans used to make a chili or in a soup, can make dips with them too.
    tofu is meh, i say this just because i am not a big fan of soy. but i do use it in the slow cooker to make vegan soups (i just throw in veg broth, diced tomatoes with the juice, crumbled tofu, cabbage, eggplant, peppers, red onion, baby carrots, spinach, mushrooms) really whatever veggies are around, cook on low for 9 hours and season beforehand with random spices. tofu marinated in bbq suace and cooked on skillet is good on a sandwich as well or tofu in a stir fry.
    if you want you can also eat the packaged morning star or boca products. i use the boca crumbles now and then to make a taco salad or strogonoff.
    greek yogurt has good protein and can be used as a dip if you want to make ranch or french onion dip. also it is good in place of sour cream, in smoothies, also good with chocolate protein powder or unsweetened cocoa powder, almost tastes like a moussee or something.
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    i don't recommend it plain, but vanilla brown rice protein powder and mixed berry brown rice protein powder are decent blended into smoothies. i would never eat it mixed in my oatmeal, the nature's bounty chocolate one is good by itself with milk or mixed in oatmeal or anything else, just an fyi bc you can taste the rice lol
  • Eleonora91
    Eleonora91 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian too and I never exceed my protein intake, but I usually do quite fine! Those are the foods that increase my protein consumption looking at my diary:
    light feta cheese (10 gr with 50 gr);
    whole wheat bread (4 gr for 2 slices);
    parmesan cheese (7 gr with 20 gr grated);
    legumes: chickpeas (7 gr each 100 gr); peas (5 gr each 100 gr);
    Kellog's cereals (4 gr with 30 gr);
    Fiber pasta (11 gr with 70 gr);
    Activia fat free yogurt (5 gr with 125 ml);
    skimmed milk (5 gr with 150 ml);

Hope this gives you some ideas!
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    How much protein are you trying to get in?

I have been vegetarian my entire life and the absolute best price of advice I can give is DO NOT try to get all your protein in with excessive amounts of soy. I did this (around 100g a day for 6-7 months from soy ONLY) and it caused serious hormonal problems for me.

I get roughly 120-130 G protein daily and here's how I do it.

Breakfast- Fage 0% ( 100 cals 18 G protein) with a packet of Splenda.
    Snack- quest bar (20 G protein)
    lunch- black bean enchilada (I use the quorn fake meat made from mushroom), cheese lasagna, vegetarian chili etc. (25-30 G protein)
    snack- piece of fruit with 2 scoops Optimum Nutrition and almond milk (56 G protein)
    Dinner- quorn tacos, spaghetti bolognase (fake ground meat), Chik-n cutlets with stir fry veggies, a quorn Chik-n breast with veggies and quinoa, etc. (25-30 grams)

Total G protein from my meals;
    Breakfast 18
    Snack 20
    Lunch 25
    Snack 56
    Dinner 30

Total: 149 give or take some

Another thing I love to do is take 3-4 tablespoons pb2 1 scoop chocolate protein powder, just enough water to mix to a peanut butter consistency and spread it on apples. Nom nom nom
  • foreverunoriginal
    Options
    There are many meat substitions that still taste great. I have been a vegetarian for 3 years and the substitutes have made it so I dont even miss meat but still get all the protein I need.