Cabbage Soup Diet. What your experience? Thoughts?

Options

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Am I correct in thinking that the cabbage soup diet is a diet consisting only of the soup as your caloric intake for a set period? Or is the soup in addition to other foods?

It's soup plus other foods, but only certain foods on certain days. It has a lot of 'eat all you want' of certain food groups on certain days. It's low calorie and low fat and lasts only 7 days. It's not particularly unhealthy for a short term diet, but whether it leads to permanent weight loss is, of course, totally going to depend on what one does after those 7 days.

Because Eat all you want is a good habit to get into right?

It's a 7 day diet. I'm not sure habits are formed in 7 days.

Just for the record, I'm not suggesting anyone do this diet. I'm just answering questions because I'm familiar with it. I'm rather old so I know a lot of people that did this back in the day when it was new and all the rage. I thought about it because I happen to love cabbage soup, and back then I never had more than 10 lbs to lose. But I never tried it.

It is not unhealthy when done properly and for only 7 days. No one I know who did it ever lost much weight or kept it off.
  • AprilMae1975
    Options
    I hope this is a joke......

I'm sorry but I haven't read all the responses to the OP.....all I can say is DON'T DO IT!!!!!!!! It doesn't work and will only ruin your taste for cabbage for years to come. I am sure that anyone who has done this would not recommend doing it.

Please take the time to find a healthy way to lose weight. Use this site and it's tools to help you lose weight the right way.
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    Am I correct in thinking that the cabbage soup diet is a diet consisting only of the soup as your caloric intake for a set period? Or is the soup in addition to other foods?

It's soup plus other foods, but only certain foods on certain days. It has a lot of 'eat all you want' of certain food groups on certain days. It's low calorie and low fat and lasts only 7 days. It's not particularly unhealthy for a short term diet, but whether it leads to permanent weight loss is, of course, totally going to depend on what one does after those 7 days.

Just for the record, I'm not suggesting anyone do this diet. I'm just answering questions because I'm familiar with it. I'm rather old so I know a lot of people that did this back in the day when it was new and all the rage. I thought about it because I happen to love cabbage soup, and back then I never had more than 10 lbs to lose. But I never tried it.

It is not unhealthy when done properly and for only 7 days. No one I know who did it ever lost much weight or kept it off.

Just to clarify Bad habits are OK as long as its for a short time period? BREAKOUT THE HEROIN!!!! Daddy wants to chase the dragon!!!
  • csheltra26
    csheltra26 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Hmm, well if anyone has a good affordable diet plan then im open to suggestions. im 5'6 and i fluctuate between 155-160lbs daily lol. My goal is 130, and I want to get there in a few months.

You have 25-30 pounds to lose. Set your goal for 1 pound a week and eat back your exercise calories. Like others have said you don't have to eat low calorie, just weigh your food and eat at a calorie deficit. You'll keep your metabolism working the way it should be and maintenance should be easier than crash dieting. Eat foods you like!!
  • bcattoes
    Options

Just to clarify Bad habits are OK as long as its for a short time period? BREAKOUT THE HEROIN!!!! Daddy wants to chase the dragon!!!

*sigh* Seriously if that is what you got from my post I think you should do it. Chase it.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    Hmm, well if anyone has a good affordable diet plan then im open to suggestions. im 5'6 and i fluctuate between 155-160lbs daily lol. My goal is 130, and I want to get there in a few months.

Just eat foods that you like with a focus on nutrition, keep a calorie deficit, but not a huge one. Eat for health, but remember that mental health is important so allow enough treats so you don't feel deprived. Exercise regularly - it's important for heatlh and will allow you to eat more while still losing. Don't eat so little that you burn out and give up. Eat in a way that you can continue eating after you lose the weight. Your diet shouldn't end when the fat is gone, only the amount calories should change.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options

*sigh* Seriously if that is what you got from my post I think you should do it. Chase it.

Well, you've got to admit he has a point. Why bother to justify a diet that you know is unsustainable? It's like arguing just to argue.

It's not a sustainable diet. It's not good for long-term healthy and sustainable weight loss. So, what's the point in doing it at all?

I'd go as far as to say it IS unhealthy. It's not always about the ingredients in the soup or the fact that you can eat some additional foods. It's unhealthy because it promises unsustainable levels of weight loss. Inevitably, the OP will gain the weight back. Then she will do the diet again. Then she will gain it back. That kind of yo-yoing is terrible for your physical and mental health.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options

Says the person who was just arguing semantics on the previous page.
  • kittycutemo
    Options
    I was on 183 pounds (about 44 days ago). I'm on a challange of blogilates, I followed the beginers calendar for exercising and few days ago I ended it and moved to the monthly calendar. Right now I'm 174 pounds and my height is 5'7'', but I keep going 'cause my goal is 141 pounds, to me that has worked and I don't feel starving, and it's pretty flexible, it suggest foods and exercise, but gives you sustitutes or variations to suit your possibilities and needs. Hope it's helpful to you as it has been to me. :)

http://www.blogilates.com/blogilates-90-day-challenge-meal-plan-workout-calendar

Here you can print the plan:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AjcSou1AzAJQdE1WUVVyajduN2pUNUpHV0VtWFE0Mnc&hl=en_US#gid=3

Beginners calendar (You can print the sheet and down on the page there're the links for the video playlist of each day):

http://www.blogilates.com/calendar/beginners-calendar-for-popsters-just-starting-out
  • PapaverSomniferum
    PapaverSomniferum Posts: 2,677 Member
    Options
    Used to do this to drop water weight before cheer competition, a million years ago. It wasn't that bad. Need breath mints and easy access to a toilet, though.

and you won't want to eat soup for months afterwards.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    Well, you've got to admit he has a point. Why bother to justify a diet that you know is unsustainable? It's like arguing just to argue.

It's not a sustainable diet. It's not good for long-term healthy and sustainable weight loss. So, what's the point in doing it at all?

I'd go as far as to say it IS unhealthy. It's not always about the ingredients in the soup or the fact that you can eat some additional foods. It's unhealthy because it promises unsustainable levels of weight loss. Inevitably, the OP will gain the weight back. Then she will do the diet again. Then she will gain it back. That kind of yo-yoing is terrible for your physical and mental health.

No, I don't have to admit he has a point. He is being ridiculous. And I'm not justifying any diet.

What a diet promises can't make it unhealthy. Causing health problems makes it unhealthy. How's that for semantics? When I say "healthy" I'm talking about "health".
  • PRMinx
    Options

No, I don't have to admit he has a point. He is being ridiculous. And I'm not justifying any diet.

What a diet promises can't make it unhealthy. Causing health problems makes it unhealthy. How's that for semantics? When I say "healthy" I'm talking about "health".

First of all, I realize you make it a point every day to come on here and argue with people over semantics and whole lot of other crap. That's cool. Whatever makes you happy.

I was actually very reasonable in my response to you.

Rather than arguing over semantics and, obviously, subjective definitions of "healthy," I'm into giving advice that promotes a long-term, sustainable approach to weight loss. A fad diet that lures people in on the premise that they will lose a lot of weight in a short period of time is unhealthy to me for the reasons I explained above, which are all very logical.
  • RinnyLush
    RinnyLush Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    After my 7 days is up start exercising daily and go on a more long term healthier diet.

You seem to suggest that you KNOW this is better for you in the long run. Why wouldn't you just start right off the bat with long-term plan, and skip the crash diet torture?
  • bcattoes
    Options

First of all, I realize you make it a point every day to come on here and argue with people over semantics and whole lot of other crap. That's cool. Whatever makes you happy.

Rather than arguing over semantics and, obviously, subjective definitions of "healthy," I'm into giving advice that promotes a long-term, sustainable approach to weight loss. A fad diet that lures people in on the premise that they will lose a lot of weight in a short period of time is unhealthy to me for the reasons I explained above, which are all very logical.

Actually, you were more rude and insulting than reasonable in your replies. I just don't happen to believe that "healthy" is an opinion, or something that is based on what you think might happen later. I was discussing this 7 day diet. It's unlikely that a person of normal health would become unhealthy after doing it.

And I also provided advice on what I believe is a sustainable way to lose weight.
  • PRMinx
    Options
    Actually, you were more rude and insulting than reasonable in your replies. I just don't happen to believe that "healthy" is an opinion, or something that is based on what you think might happen later. I was discussing this 7 day diet. It's unlikely that a person of normal health would become unhealthy after doing it.

And I also provided advice on what I believe is a sustainable way to lose weight.

jennifer-lawrence-10.gif
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Im bad at thinking of low calorie foods, lol.
    Perhaps that's what you should post then! Ask for some like-minded friends with open diaries who are also eating at a deficit. Plus, you don't have to only eat low calorie foods. You can eat higher calorie foods just in smaller portions as well.

Yes - It's all about the portions.

Start by logging "regular" food. The nutrition information provided will point you in the right direction.

One major "hint"........protien, fat, and fiber all help you stay full longer. Highly processed foods generally have less (protein &/or fiber) and more fat (but not the healthy kind).

Example: white bread has less fiber & protein than whole wheat. Read labels and eat whole foods whenever you can.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    How is cabbage soup any different than any other soup? It is supposed to have special properties somehow?

Yes - it's supposed to be "negative calories" :laugh: .....that was the idea (back then). This diet has been around for ages.
  • Jewlz280
    Jewlz280 Posts: 547 Member
    Options

But you're missing the big picture. I've read all of your replies and what you're confusing is the other posters aren't saying this 7 day will kill you but rather that it's a waste of a week that could go to doing what in the end really needs to be done. She isn't going to die or anything, but she isn't going to lose real weight so why even bother? Why not just do what needs to be done and have those 7 days under her belt instead of wasting it on a pointless, short term gut-busting diet? Because unlike one poster, I have yet to meet a single person who ate cabbage in massive quantities and didn't have issues. What everyone is saying is not to waste that week -- not that it in and of itself is bad, just that it's a WASTE and not REAL and not EFFECTIVE and not LONG TERM.
  • bcattoes
    Options

But you're missing the big picture. I've read all of your replies and what you're confusing is the other posters aren't saying this 7 day will kill you but rather that it's a waste of a week that could go to doing what in the end really needs to be done. She isn't going to die or anything, but she isn't going to lose real weight so why even bother? Why not just do what needs to be done and have those 7 days under her belt instead of wasting it on a pointless, short term gut-busting diet? Because unlike one poster, I have yet to meet a single person who ate cabbage in massive quantities and didn't have issues. What everyone is saying is not to waste that week -- not that it in and of itself is bad, just that it's a WASTE and not REAL and not EFFECTIVE and not LONG TERM.

I don't feel it's up to me to decide what is a waste of time for the OP. I posted that I knew several people that did it and didn't lose much weight, and that none of them sustained the little they did lose. I posted the method that I thought was best for sustainable weight loss (which does not include this diet). I don't feel the need to post things I don't believe to be true, like this diet causing health problems.
  • Jewlz280
    Jewlz280 Posts: 547 Member
    Options

I don't feel it's up to me to decide what is a waste of time for the OP. I posted that I knew several people that did it and didn't lose much weight, and that none of them sustained the little they did lose. I posted the method that I thought was best for sustainable weight loss (which does not include this diet). I don't feel the need to post things I don't believe to be true, like this diet causing health problems.

*sigh* I'm not saying, and I don't believe the other posters were saying, it would cause 'health problems'. More that it is a waste of time when she could skip the fad diet and go into the real plan and do it the healthy way from the get-go. That's what I got from it. It may not be a 'waste of time' because she will learn from it that it isn't permanent, but from the stand-point of weight loss (which, btw, this forum is about weight loss and healthy habits to include diet and exercise), it's a waste of time because it isn't real and doesn't lead into real changes that last. If you're saying that she can try it just to figure out that it won't work, then move on to something else, then just say that. But the reality is she's wasting a perfectly good 7 day period where she could be losing real weight instead of wasting it on 7days of a fad.