What Are These 'so called' Parents Doing!!

Options

Replies

• JilloftheDead
    JilloftheDead Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    My oldest is in pre-K and only goes half days so we just pack him an afternoon snack.. always a fruit or veg, a bottle of water, a cheese string and a snack of his choice (often times cookies, yogurt or fruit snacks).. but he's MY kid and those are things I'd like him to eat. It's not my job to worry about what other children eat.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    Oh. My. Gahhhhhhd. Someone call child protective services right now. This is a travesty.

:indifferent:
  • 4homer
    4homer Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Immature moment here but am I the only person to notice op name is shart....snorts
  • ktsimons
    ktsimons Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    When my daughter was in grade school and day care, it was very difficult to send snacks that she would eat that didn't need refrigeration...I have a decent knowledge of nutrition and I was stumped most days. At least, now they have apple slices, and no sugar added fruits and stuff that are grab and go. Still, what protein can you send with a kid that won't spoil??
  • DeltaZero
    DeltaZero Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    Just curious OP, what does the '15 weeks after treatment' mean?

Hey now, no trying to judge her on the internet, she's already perfect, clearly.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    This is the kind of post that gives teachers a bad name. Where do you teach? I'd love to have a chat with your principal, and maybe your school board, I'm sure taking pictures in your classroom and posting them publicly on the internet is something they would love to know about, as well as your horrible attitude (and poor grammar, especially as a teacher who is supposed to be teaching first graders how to spell and proper grammar.)

Really pathetic.
  • ExtremePhobia
    Options
    So in other words, you're saying that the parents are packing calorie rich foods for small people looking to make massive gains in body size over the next several years?

Don't get me wrong, setting good habits young is important BUT so is eating junk food. Most of us here are trying to lose weight but most kids should be gaining weight and any of us can attest to the effectiveness of junk food in that department. The simple fact is that if children ate nothing but healthy foods all day then they wouldn't bring in enough calories to maximize their growth.

Perhaps that is their one snack a day because they are at school. Do you know if it is or not? Because if you don't then what you are saying is kind of moot.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    Immature moment here but am I the only person to notice op name is shart....snorts

nope. I saw that too and thought it unfortunate...now I'm starting to think 'under a bridge'....:wink:
  • Nouurann
    Nouurann Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I somewhat agree. My parents used to send me to school with the same kind of snacks, and when they stopped packing my lunch, I packed exactly what they used to pack me. It became a habit, and led me to be a chubby kid. Granted, other skinny kids had the same snacks. But they were probably more active or ate better meals at home. So without knowing the activity levels of these kids and their other eating patterns, I wouldn't really jump to a conclusion,
  • leesyc81
    leesyc81 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    So quick to judge. My 10 year old is about a stone underweight due to his fathers genes I assume, so I do give him healthy along with 'bad' foods in his packed lunch as he needs the extra calories. If however I had an overweight child then things would be different. I believe if u ban all junk foods from children then they might in adulthood binge on everything they were deprived of as a child...that's what I did! When my 10 year old comes home from school he has a home cooked meal and for extra calories toast with lashings of peanut butter, again to up his calorie intake. Some kids refuse to eat fruit, my 4 year old refuses but my other 2 love the stuff, I put fruit in my 4 yr old's packed lunch so teachers won't complain or judge, I know he won't eat it though! Moral of the story-don't judge :-)
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    Well aren't you special :noway:
  • TooMuchOatmeal
    TooMuchOatmeal Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    It is called moderation. These really aren't that bad depending on the context. If the kids have good nutrition at home on a regular basis and can have cookies for snack, is that bad? Even if the kids eat Lucky Charms for breakfast , have these snacks (many of which aren't that bad, sorry), and then have a pre-prepaired meal at home, you are in no place to judge. There is nothing wrong with Goldfish or cookies from time to time, especially not for snack. Now if these were their LUNCHES, I may be a bit concerned.

Honestly, I was expected a horror story-- not high-horse judgement. I'm a pre-service teacher and I have seen some upsetting nutritional standards from children's parents. Once I had 9-year-old twins at a summer daycare camp who always brought a Slim Jim, a bag of Dorito chips, one Go-gurt, eight Oreos, a bag of M&Ms/candy, and a Capree Sun for lunch every single day. They would often bring their own breakfast, consisting of one or two Dunkin' Donuts doughnuts, at 8am too because they did not like our healthy selection of cereals and/or yohgurt. THEIR nutrition I was concerned about, especially since they thought that a Slim Jim counted as a healthy source of protein when we did a nutrition unit with them. The kids were thin and played sports, so their parents weren't worried about their health. They would often go out for pizza or Burger King for dinner too.

As much as this concerned me, however, I would NEVER whip out my Instagram phone, take pictures, then post them on the internet to mock them and their parents. That is bullying. A teacher should never bully.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options

nope. I saw that too and thought it unfortunate...now I'm starting to think 'under a bridge'....:wink:

Nope. Not 'under a bridge', yes unfortunate & after reading OP's previous posts, some serious food related issues.
  • VBnotbitter
    VBnotbitter Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    You are going to get ripped to shreds for this piece of judgemental rubbish. I have no sympathy.
  • annmartinasara
    annmartinasara Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Your judgmental attitude is awful.
    My son is a finniky eater, I will send in sandwiches and sometimes these will come home in the lunchbox uneaten. So I supplement his lunch with rich tea biscuits or custard cream biscuits - two biscuits and two sandwiches. I alternate his drinks between water, juice or a little bottle of lemonade, because if he gets the same drink day after day, he gets bored too.
    If his teacher took a picture of his lunch and posted it online with a tag line 'so called parents' I would be very upset.
    It is unhelpful, judgmental and inappropriate.
  • Hestion
    Hestion Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    Looking through the OP's previous posts, as far as I can tell she is ' recovering ' from an ED, therefore I feel really she has no place in judging what our children eat even more than I did before.

I know we all have our own journeys for different things/reasons, but if you want to encourage our children of today to be healthy then really you need to start with yourself!
  • Hestion
    Hestion Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    Just curious OP, what does the '15 weeks after treatment' mean?

Obviously something to do with ED Treatment, looking through her posts and profile, those who judge shall be judged themselves!
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to add: The parents you speak of are not "so called" parents. They ARE parents. As a retired educator, it was very rare for me to meet a parent that did not truly love their child. Do we make mistakes as parents? Certainly. Shaming parents to change their behavior never works.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    PASS A TEST???
  • dawnsjourney
    dawnsjourney Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing you're not a parent. It's always the non-parents that seem to know how to do it all right and feel quite free letting the world know exactly which way that is.

I don't see candy. I see cookies, crackers and fruit. It's a snack, not a nutrition exam.

I was thinking the same thing. In small doses we can eat whatever we want. It's when it gets out of control that it becomes an issue. Let the kids have a freakin' cookie without guilt!
This discussion has been closed.