WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR NOVEMBER 2013

Options

Replies

• jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Jane, so sorry you haven't heard anything yet. Prayers being sent that everything will go well. When I was working and steam was beginning to come out of peoples ears because they were so mad that their loved one hadn't been taken in for their scheduled elective cardiac cath, I would just remind them that the reason they were 3 hours late was more than likely that some one else is in the cath lab because that person is in an emergency situation. And them I just ask them the simple question. If you were the emergency patient, would you like it that you were told 'sorry, we can't get you in to your life saving procedure because there is some one who has an elective procedure on the table right now? It makes the waiting a little easier, still not easy though for people waiting to get phone calls.

Got a cal from my doctor finally about my labs from last week. Since I hadn't gotten any call I just figured that no news is good news. They usually call me quickly on any tests whether normal or not. My hemoglobin is just a tad low, cortisol level is high...I looked that up and can be elevated with those with abdominal fat, diabetes, fatigue...thyroid a little high, blood sugar good. But my cholesterol was 164, triglycerides 91, HDL 62 and LDL 84!!!!!1 Jumping in excitement over my lipid profile, I am hoping some day I can get off my Lopid also. Would be so wonderful.

Will post my gratitude for the day when I get back from the Y, Joyce, Indiana
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    MIL did good,groggy but it`s behind her.
    Thanks for your love,support and prayers.
    HUGS
    jane
  • shapefitter
    shapefitter Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    I have been waiting patiently for my last bloodtest results as well. It ran out yesterday, and I made an appointment for Thursday. I need to find the yellow post it note the gp scribled on Jan 2011, to compare results. If I don't understand then I won't know what I can do to rectify things, for instance. I get the gp to explain in words, but unless I get it in writing it might as well be Greek. I can then look it up on Google and make changes to my health, without having to take medication, which the gp has so kindly threatened me with in the past for my cholesterol levels. But, I wouldn't have it, and law and behold three months later, my levels showed up normal. That was then, but I suspect something else this time, though.
    Google has helped me a lot, and I would recommend anyone to do a bit of research. It has helped me, to take action.
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    bump for later!
  • jmkmomm
    Options
    Nov 12th, what I am thankful for. Today I am thankful for music. music can take a person somewhere else, to another time in their life to spend some moments in memory with another person or parents gone years ago, a special time in life like that first kiss or when you held your baby for the first time. You can almost smell their little head again. Music can calm me, excite me, encourage me, stimulate me, sustain me. What music that moves me may not move another person at all and that's what is so wonderful about it. It's personalized, it's mine and no one can take it away. I love it when my husbands karaoke group, The Over The Hill Gang, go to nursing homes and sing those old songs to those people whose loved ones have been taken away, their body isn't what it was. they just sit there and may not have that lovely voice they used to you can hear them sing each word my memory. Or I sing Amazing Grace to them and you can see their hands lifting for God to take their hands and holding them to give them comfort. My daughter had a song, Hush little baby, that when I sang it to her and stroked her forehead that her body was preprogrammed to go to sleep. She would beg me at times not to sing it to her at times. But when a 3 year old is cranky sometimes Mom knows best. Right now my husband is in the bedroom listening to his favorite Karoake tapes planning on what he will sing tomorrow night. He loves the 60's. It's surprising how the young people of today will react when they hear his songs and they can actually understand the words and they appreciate it and what the message of a song. So go out and sing a song and love it for what it does to you. Your voice may not be worth a Grammy but to God it's beautiful

Joyce, Indiana
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    evening my friends,
    well when I got to work a mom had brought a toddler of say about 14 months or less, the baby had a fit,so grandma Alison had to take her out of the room, it took her about 5 minutes to calm down and then we were fine, but let me tell you she was sure happy to see mommy when she showed up.
    I kept busy today and stayed under the radar, even ate lunch by myself, just didnt want to deal with crap today...
    Kevrit and I have a tentative date of next thursday to finally meet, her lunchtime from work will meet her at Walmart so we dont need to eat, although we could get subway if its not horrible, I usually get the veggie delight when i get it...
    well got 12,000 steps in even though I said I wasnt going to exercise. I will get my butt to the gym tommorow ,2 days from the gym,but will go,going to rake leaves,tomorrow also.
    i have a list of what needs to be gotten for presents, and mostly it is Gift certificates, easier to send than presents,but might send a few things out to Taliah in Ohio
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    The barbershop was closed so I didn’t get my hair cut. Curt is usually reliable so I’m worried that something kept him away from his business. His mother is elderly and has had health problems recently. I hope it is something else entirely and he’s off visiting his daughter. DH traded his sister for a 40+ year old fishing boat and we thought we were going to have to replace the 40+ year old engine. The mechanic got it started after all, so there is hope! We’ll have to work with it and see what we think. At the very least this will buy us enough time to look for a bargain and it might even still be okay. Keep your fingers crossed for okay. New outboards are EXPENSIVE.:grumble:

Heather: I’m sorry you had to send the bread back and didn’t get to enjoy your planned treat. :flowerforyou: I wouldn’t sieve tomato seeds out from soup unless it helped me to feel closer to one of my children. I understand why you’re sieving out those seeds.:bigsmile:

Kalley: I love bike riding, too. I picture you enjoying your ride and your view of the kids enjoying the pool. It is a happy picture. I started yoga a couple of years ago when I was at my heaviest. I was blessed to have a teacher who would help me modify things within my physical limits. As I’ve gotten healthier I’ve been able to do more. On a related topic, perhaps your exercise is too close to bedtime.:flowerforyou:

Shapefitter: I agree with you about using Google search to find out health information. A little over a year ago I was having knee problems and it was the reading I did on the internet that helped me understand I was too heavy for my own knees and needed to lose weight. Then it was a Google search that helped me find MyfintessPal, and this group of women.:flowerforyou:

Grandmallie: Subway has some wonderful options for those of us who are calorie counters. They post nutrition and calorie information online. Did you know you can turn any sandwich into a salad? They put all the goodies into a bowl for you and leave out the bread. They also have calorie and nutrition information in some of the stores. Enjoy your time with Kevrit.:flowerforyou:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

November goals:
    1. Log every bite
    2. Focus on fitness: cardio and strength every week
    3. Drink 3 or more glasses of water daily
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    Hello to all: Joyce - Love your thanks for the music. You pretty much said what I believe. I have been told at work that I cannot sneak up on anyone because I am always humming or singing a song. I figure if people don't want to listen they don't have to. You might like this quote " Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday living".

Grandmallie - It seems to me you have been feeling down quite a lot lately. Hope things take an upturn for you soon.

I got kind of a nasty little surprise today when I went in for my one year sarcoidosis check up with the pulmonologist. I have been feeling well, no flares since last May and I was expecting that the tests would show improvement. However my lung function test showed a drop in lung function. It is still in the normal range but now is low normal. The CT scan showed that the supraclavicular lymph nodes were smaller (good) but the ones in the mediastinum were the same and there are very small but new nodules in the base of the left lung (not good). They also "incidentally" found a new lesion on the liver. Now I have to see the gastroenterologist to have the liver evaluated with blood tests and a different CT more focused on the liver. It could be just a spread of the sarcoidosis, a benign lesion or worse. I think what really bothers me about it is that I am planning to retire at the end of March and I don't want to be a sick old lady when I retire, I have things I want to do. Getting old is not for sissies as they say but then I am not too fond of the alternative either. Well nothing to do for now but wait and see.

Healing angels to all who need them and congratulations to those with victories. Sue in SD
  • jmkmomm
    Options
    This is my list of what I can eat and only eat tomorrow.
    Breakfast, two eggs, yogurt with no fruit,low fat mild cheese, whole wheat bread smooth peanut butter
    Lunch, 1/2 cup cooked white rice, chicken or turkey lunch meat, whole wheat bread smooth peanut butter, 1/2 cup ice cream
    Supper, mild low fat cheese, 2 eggs, 1 cup jello, 1/2 cup milk, yogurt or pudding

After 5 PM clear liquids which include jello, not red, koolaide or Hi C, not red, clear fruit juices, sprite, not diet, plain jello, not red, iced tea, chicken bullion

Fun, fun, fun

Joyce, indiana
  • AnneCarolOne
    AnneCarolOne Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies. Thanks for all the well wishes! I am mending slowly with great care from the home nurses. I started walking today with my walker. I went to the mailbox on the main road and back. It was slow going, but felt good to breathe in the fresh air. The rain held off until I was back home. Trust your instincts Barbie and take it slow. It will pay off in the long term. I found out the hard way that you can't take anything for granted. To the rest of you, keep up the good work and enjoy life to its fullest. I enjoy reading your blogs.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,984 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Vicki, when I read your account of the contractor who left everything lying around, it reminded me of a mystery book I read a few years ago when the murder victim was a local contractor and when someone asked if there was anyone who might have a motive to kill him, the reply was that probably every customer he’d ever had, had wanted to kill him at one time or another. Good luck on getting things back on track….Congrats on finding the perfect coat at the perfect price (free)…..I went to the chiropractor for the first time about 15 years ago when I moved wrong and did something to my back that made walking painful and made it impossible for me to lie down…..Jake had been going for years and I had been a skeptic but I was so uncomfortable that when he said he’d take me there the next morning I agreed and now I am a believer.

:flowerforyou: Anamika, you are so right about all the reasons to share our problems and solutions in this community of wonderful women. We are blessed to have found each other.

:flowerforyou: Sylvia, I will be thinking healing thoughts for you on Friday when you go for your heart procedure. You will feel so much healthier when it is finished.

:flowerforyou: Heather, we are very fortunate here that we can get flu shots at many of the local pharmacies so you can just walk in and don’t have to make an appointment.

:flowerforyou: Grandmallie, I had a friend who was seriously ill and used to set a timer for herself for a bout of self pity and when the timer rang, she’d say “That’s enough” and get busy with something positive.

:flowerforyou: Tammy, have you tried walking or dancing as a form of exercise?

:bigsmile: Rita, it sounds like there are a lot of really positive things about your new location.

:flowerforyou: Sandy, I keep a notebook to write down my workouts and it helps me remember what I’ve done and lets me know when I’ve made progress. When I can’t sleep, I turn on the light and read myself back to sleep.

:bigsmile: ane, glad your MIL got through her procedure and did well.

:flowerforyou: Joyce, one of the reasons I can walk for as long as I do, is that I have an mp3 player with my favorite music and it keeps me company while I walk the dogs.

:flowerforyou: Katla, I found MFP over four years ago when I used Google to find out how many calories in a food I was preparing…….I have been logging on and posting ever since.

:brokenheart: Sue in SD, sorry to hear all the troubling news from the doctor…..stay in the moment and don’t write a story with a depressing ending.

:heart: :bigsmile: AnneCarol, thank you for the encouraging wise words and best wishes on your continued recovery.

:bigsmile: My back is feeling better today…..Jake went out to do all the errands. He asked me if I wanted to go with him and I told him that I was looking forward to having the house to myself for a few hours. I used the time to do some housekeeping that I’d put off. I had the TV on loud so I could hear it from different rooms and when I missed something, I’d rewind and go back and watch the scene again. That would have driven Jake crazy. As soon as I finished, I put some chicken in the oven and lay down on the ice pack.

:brokenheart: This afternoon I called and backed out of a line dance performance next week that I was scheduled to do. I could probably have danced for the length of the program but not at the intensity level for a performance. Also, of the ten dances we were scheduled to do, there was one I've never done and several that I'd need to review and I know I couldn't practice enough to get up to performance level on the dances. And Jake is going out of town for five days right after the performance and the last thing I need to do is hurt myself dancing the day the before I have to take on all the dog walking..

:heart: Barbie from chilly NW Washington

2506167m2q75z4kbu.gif
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Today was strange. I started a new blood pressure pill that my new cardiologist added to my daily bucket of pills. So I was a little dizzy all day, but feeling better now. Still feeling some medicine head, but not unbearable. My son called this morning looking for space heaters because his heater went out. It's supposed to be 19 degrees tonight! He managed to get somebody out to fix it, so I feel better now. I managed to make some low salt bread today, so that's nice. Hubby had been worried that I'm not getting enough calories, so bread should take care of that. I already ate two slices with Smart Balance spread. Yummy.

I spent most of the day sitting and listening to an audio book. I sure miss going to the gym. Two more days to the procedure and then I can get back on track.

I hope everybody is doing great!

Sylvia
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,395 Member
    Options
    Did 1 hr of spinning today. Then went to volunteer at the Green Room, then went to play mahjongg. Then off to Lowe's, now to get ready to go to Rummikub tonight. Tomorrow is Newcomers general meeting, then senior bowling, then home for a bite to eat and back for Newcomers bowling. Phew!!!

Tomorrow I'm planning to do the Bob Harper Inside Out DVD.

Meg - I'm so sorry you had such a bad day! OK, how did you follow that car without being on the wrong side of the road????? Stay warm!

Vicki - how wonderful that that coat fits you! You're not the only one who wants to jump in and fix everything. Sounds like me to a tee! When my father owned his business, he just couldn't believe someone would steal from him until he saw it himself.

Anamika - someone once told me -- "a problem shared is a problem halved", and that is so true

Heather - happy early anniversary (don't want to forget)

grandmalle - ((((hugs)))))

shapelifter - I love my slow cooker. You'll really enjoy yours, too. Coming home to the smell of the food cooking -- priceless

goobs - welcome back! You've come to a great place for motivation and support, that's for sure

Rita - how good it is to hear from you!

katla - how right you are that free pets are worth it

teral - I put the pedometer on today, and I'm surprised at how few steps it's registering. Well, I know that I'm moving, and that's the important thing

Joyce - you SHOULD be jumping for joy over your lipid profile. Wonderful!!!

grandmalle - I love Subway! If you have to eat any place, that's a good place to go

Sue in SD (((big hug)))

Michele in NC
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies! Hope everyone had a good day. Not much went on; taught for 4 hours after the students had a test….they were a tough crowd! I did my weight lifting and my yoga. I really like that Rodney Yee DVD. I am grateful that Michele told me about him!

DD#1 came over a bit ago and took her sister out for a while. So interesting that she is making so many attempts to reach out and connect with us. I’m glad they are getting along better. It wasn’t that long ago (I think she was 15) when she actually complained that her sister was breathing her air. And she was crying when she said it.

Barbie: thanks for the information. I’m glad you are feeling better but don’t overdo it

Vicki: isn’t that so frustrating when contractors don’t show up on time….or ever??? DH took some construction classes at the community college and in the construction business class the teacher told them the #1 complaint about contractors and the #1 reason they go out of business is being late or not showing up

Texas gal: good for you!!!!

Anamika I am so grateful for the support of all the ladies here and you are so right that facing our problems together makes it so much easier

Heather; I would be a blimp if I ate all that fabulous food! OMG your menus sound so wonderful!

Grandmallie: I hope your mood lifts soon

Shapefitter: I too love avocados!

Goobs: welcome to our little group!

Tammy: keep looking for different exercises that you enjoy

Bj: your picture is beautiful and I can picture it with snow

Rita; so nice to see you again and to hear that you are settling in

Katla: you are so consistent; one naughty day won’t hurt too much!

Teral: hope you are having fun with the grandbaby!

Jane: sending good wishes for your friend!

SandY are you working out too close to bedtime? If I exercise too late, I can’t get relaxed

Joyce: I am jumping up and down with you over your lipid panel. I’m sure that is burning the calories!

Katla: hope you find a good boat soon

Sue: I sure hope your medical tests come out as good as possible! Sending you prayers and hugs

AnnCAroleOne: so glad you are on the mend

Well I think it’s time to get in the shower and relax. Hope you all have a good night and good start to your day. I am doing a test review at 7:45, so it will be a long one for me! Take care everyone meg from chilly Omaha
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,363 Member
    Options
    Hi folks! Off to London today. See you all later!
  • howe60
    howe60 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Wow
    Wow wow wow,
    I'm new to mfp day 10.
    Thought if I'm going to do it I must do it 100%
    So I cautiously left diary open.
    Chatted on my profile page.
    Made a few friends.
    Then I found groups!!!
    Over 50's is perfect
    What a communityxxxxxx
    What support.
    Feel a little like I've intruded on a coffee club but here goes.
    Hello to everyone of you lovely girls.
    Love it how you message each other individually in amongst your posts.
    Hope it's ok to just barge in like this.
    Oh well I digress, I do that a lot !!!!!
    My target for November is to still be here at the end of it and lose some pounds !!!
    I had a heart attack and I promised my dad I would lose 2 stones by when I see him at Christmas.
    Tall order but am seriously doing my best x
    Have fun, glad to have found you
    Josie
    Kent uk
  • Anamika703
    Anamika703 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Heather:flowerforyou:
    Wish you a very Happy Anniversary and many more joyous ones to come!!!:drinker:
    :love: :smile:
  • grandmallie
    Options
    im up and icing my heel, I do that every morning,but at least I can get on with my day, having my warm lemon water also. will get dressed and go to the gym, from there stop at walmart and then home to rake leaves and do laundry, then go to work at noon
  • grandmallie
    Options
    morning all again,
    I did go to the gym, only did the elliptical and treadmill for 45 minutes and a few of the machines,just not into as much, stopped at walmart first, and am home, have stuff in dryer and will go out and rake up the last of the leaves. then off to work at noon..
    well I know i havent been eating wonderful lately and maybe that is why the scale isnt really moving, to much sugar, but this plateau is driving me nuts :tongue:
    i try and move quite a bit daily... and have been sleeping good, and water, tea i feel like I will float away lol
    thats ok, will keep on truckin, wont let anything get me down..
    thank you all dear friends for your words of encoragement, Love you all:heart:
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Good morning beautiful ladies:flowerforyou:

Bj :smile: Snow….bet it was beautiful!!! We had a few snow flakes flying around late yesterday afternoon, of course nothing stuck to the ground, I was walking the dog and it was swirling around, just enough for the dog to get wet:laugh: .

Grandmallie :smile: A bald eagle:love: , I bet that was a beautiful sight! Hope things at work improve for you:flowerforyou: !!! I saw some inserts for heel pain in a catalog I get and I thought of you, have you tried any inserts in your shoes?

Rita :smile: So nice to see your post! Glad you`re getting settled in!

Heather :smile: I always adopt a family at Christmas, buy the gifts and dinner for them. We started it when my daughter was small and continued every year, now my granddaughters enjoy buying gifts for them:happy: . It`s just as special to us as it is the family we get.
    Have a wonderful time in London with the grandbabies!!! Sorry they had a mix up with the focaccias, I love Olive focaccia:love: , I would just eat too much of it though!

Katla :smile: A food sinner:noway: :laugh: , I just don`t believe it, you`re always so good!!! Hope the engine for the boat continues to work!!!

Teral :smile: So nice to get some snuggling in during the day:love: !

Jane Martin :smile: Hope MIL is doing okay:flowerforyou: !!!

Sandy in ON :smile: I will echo some others, maybe it`s too close to bedtime when you`re exercising. I have to get mine in first thing in the morning, keeps me energized most of the day! Ask you trainer, she may have some insights! Good luck and hope your sleep improves:flowerforyou: !!

Joyce :smile: So glad your labs came back good:bigsmile: !!! I love your gratitude posts!

Shapefitter :smile: I use Google a lot!!! Welcome to the best thread on MFP:flowerforyou: !

Sue in SD :smile: Hoping all your tests will come back good:flowerforyou: ! Sending you hugs and prayers!!!

AnnCarolOne :smile: Wonderful that you got out for a little walk!!! Take it easy and listen to your body, don`t push yourself too much:flowerforyou: !

Barbie :smile: I`m glad you`re feeling better:flowerforyou: ! Good for you for realizing that it might not be a good idea to do the dance routine quite yet! Keep going to the Chiropractor and icing, you`ll be dancing again in no time!

Sylvia :smile: I`m sorry you were dizzy, hopefully when your body gets used to the new meds., it won`t bother you! Sounds like your hubby is taking good care of you!!! Sending you hugs and prayers:flowerforyou: !

Michele :smile: Did you see the snow flakes:happy: ??? They were flying around me when I walked the dog late yesterday afternoon, of course the ground is much too warm for anything to stick! You are a busy woman!!!

Meg :smile: How nice the sisters are getting along better now! My two granddaughters are like that sometimes…”she looked at me”, “she`s in my space”:noway: :grumble: :laugh: , etc. etc. sometimes you just have to laugh!

Josie :smile: Welcome to the group!!! Hope you`ll come in often and chat with us! You share your name with my youngest granddaughter! Come in here and get motivation when you feel like yours is running out, everyone is so kind and supportive here, we`ll help you stick with it!

Amamika :smile: I always enjoy reading your posts! Congrats on the NSV, having an apple over apple cake…fantastic:bigsmile: !!! Hope you`re having a great day!

Vicki :smile: Sure hope they get your house put together soon, I would be so upset:angry: ! Congrats on the new purple coat, I bet you look lovely in it:bigsmile: !

Goobs :smile: Welcome back!!! Come in often and chat!!!

Tammy :smile: I would really like to fall in love with exercising too:grumble: , I don`t know that it will ever happen though:laugh: ! Hope you`re feeling better:flowerforyou: !

Well ladies, I know I missed a lot of you:sad: , I think of you all and wish you all well:heart: !!! Time for me to get myself off this computer and be productive, or at least pretend to be:wink: !

Have a wonderful day! Drink your water:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: and log your food!!!

Hugs,
    DeeDee in sunny:glasses: but cold (24 degrees) NC