eating more than you think....

Options

Replies

• kdsp2911
    kdsp2911 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Yeah, right now I'm losing without weighing but I realize as I get closer to goal, I'll need to invest in a scale.

^^^This. Maybe not the best habit to be in, but so far I haven't done terrible. I know as I get closer and closer to goal weight I will have to give in and buy a scale, but for now I will continue to eyeball. Or...if I stay on track and don't see a loss I will know that it's time to break em out.
  • JNettie73
    JNettie73 Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this! I have not been weighing my bread but I weigh everything else. I probably should start weighing my bread. :ohwell:
  • Inshape13
    Inshape13 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the post. I found the same to be true with calories burned from exercise as well until I got a HRM and saw what I was actually burning which was a good number less than what I thought. I was in the habit of weighing a lot of things anyway due to working in commercial kitchens for a while baking and going by what an actual cup was vs the weight within that cup. Both of those things combined can lead to going over very easily so I just stick with my food scale. Here is a link to a local news story about eating out and calories stated on menus vs lab testing of the entrees.

http://www.11alive.com/video/default.aspx?bctid=2832835549001&odyssey=mod|newswell|text|FRONTPAGE|featured
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    Wonderful post. When I bought a digital food scale, it was truly an eye opener. I hope this helps those who've been struggling get out of the rut and back to achieving success!!
  • lettinganago
    lettinganago Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this post I have been eating "1100" and haven't lost anything I was sure its because I was underestimating my calories so now I know to cut back!!
  • husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I know since I started measuring my coffee creamer in the morning that it lasts longer. So I know what I thought was 3 tbps was probably 5 or 6. It was really yummy, but I stayed the same weight for a long time.

I haven't gotten to the weighing of the creamer yet, but probably should. I've "stalled" at this weight for a long time. I wouldn't mind dropping another % of BF, but it's peanuts at this point. I already feel ridiculous with the amount of weighing I do, but I guess if I want to hit my ultimate goal badly enough, I should probably weigh everything.
  • FerretBuellerr
    FerretBuellerr Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Bumping for future reference. I may only be 6 pounds 'til GW, but I'm expecting that stall to happen at any time, and now I've got a new way to combat it! Thank you! :flowerforyou:
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    For the first time, I'm considering buying a kitchen scale! I know that (from a lifetime of baking) I am quite accurate at eyeballing measurements such as a cup, tsp, etc...but I usually take packaged foods at their labels.

Thanks for posting!
  • Fragilebird24
    Fragilebird24 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    This definitely saddens me. I've been considering a food scale for a while now, mostly for chips, crackers, meats, cereals, etc, but it scares me to think how much peanut butter I'm actually eating. I have apple slices with peanut butter every day, and usually use a measuring spoon or sometimes I guesstimate. I have been losing weight and I still have about 46 pounds to lose so I'll keep this in mind for if I start to plateau. Thank you for posting this even though it's kind of depressing!
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I don't even bother weighing things like the sandwich thins or snickers. Guess I've gotten lucky so far, because I never thought they'd lie like that... But that's pretty crappy of the companies. It kind of sounds like something they could get in trouble for.
  • Rogsman
    Rogsman Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Good post. The cause of most "i'm eating under" plateaus out there. Nutrition labels, anything processed and restaurant food can be up to 20% off of stated calories. It can make things aggravating.

Two related articles, there was a nice story/video making rounds a couple month ago I can't find.

http://content.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1951798,00.html

http://nutritionovereasy.com/2011/04/can-you-trust-the-nutrition-facts/

Quote:
    "The FDA allows manufacturers and packagers a surprisingly wide margin of error–the information can be off by 20% in either direction and still be in compliance. For example, if the nutrition facts label says that a food contains 300 calories, it may actually contain anywhere from 240 to 360 calories."

20% added to a TDEE -20 calorie deficit = "OMG I can't lose weight!" posts. It's a conspiracy.
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this post I have been eating "1100" and haven't lost anything I was sure its because I was underestimating my calories so now I know to cut back!!

I think before you cut back, you should try logging consistently. Youve got missing days, missing lunch, missing dinner and countless quick added calories. A day where you had nearly 3k calories. Weigh and measure your food, log consistently and prosper. Not logging isnt going to do you any favors.
  • jillianbeeee
    jillianbeeee Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    thank you for posting this! I seem to be going through the same thing right now and even though I am weighing most everything, there are things that I am just assuming, apples and going with what is on the package are two perfect examples. Maybe I am also getting a little lax with the "i know what is in there" or -gasp- "I've done so good so far, I know what I am doing." Yep, time to check everything and see what is slowing down my weighloss right now! :) Appreciate your honesty!
  • shellylb52
    shellylb52 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Bump and thanks! :smile:
  • favoritenut
    favoritenut Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    after reading this I know I better invest in a scale....thanks!
  • mcibty
    mcibty Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    Really great post, and definitely true.

I found some scales in my kitchen recently that I didn't know I had, and it's been both a blessing and a curse.

Now I know how truly little a 30g portion of cheese is! Before I'd been eyeballing, and it was probably closer to double that.

I don't weigh everything. I think I'd go insane, but I do weigh things like pasta, cheese, meat, rice, chocolate, and things that I'd use as toppings; olives, sweetcorn, and the small things that can make a big difference in calories. Tomatoes and salad... Not so much as the margin is so small.

Can definitely see the how easy it is to kid yourself when you don't measure!
  • starrylioness
    starrylioness Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this! I definitely need to invest in some scales.
  • ilovescarymovies
    ilovescarymovies Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Bump so hopefully more people read this!!
  • Cheeky_and_Geeky
    Cheeky_and_Geeky Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    That's why I have mine set at 1350. I probably eat 1600-1800 calories a day. I don't even measure my food at all, but it's worked out thus far. Once I stop losing weight, I'll start measuring.

Thank you for posting! If a person is really eating at a deficit & not losing, then they obviously aren't logging honestly and/or accurately.