New Clothes, New You? Or Not

Options
seltzermint555
seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
Have you found yourself changing style much since losing weight? For some people it seems like they totally transform into a different person with dramatic losses. Others may keep the same style.

I find that some of the fashions that worked best for me in a larger size no longer flatter, and different clothes seem to suit me. While my "personal style" remains much the same, my wardrobe looks a lot different!

Also...anyone like me who was in the same size range for many years (even a decade or more) and now find themselves in a totally new size? What challenges, if any, does that pose for you? Have you had any financial issues with replacing your wardrobe?

I know I've asked a lot of questions here but basically just wondering about your experiences with shopping and styling yourself in a leaner or different body.

Replies

• SNLover87
    SNLover87 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I'm not at a point yet where I'm ready to buy all new clothes, but I have assumed from the beginning that I would dress very differently once I lost all the weight. Since I was so heavy, I went for whatever not only fit me, but was comfortable. That was very limiting, obviously, so whenever I found a shirt that I liked that actually fit, I would buy 10 of them in the same color. Same thing with pants. And the result was that the way I dress is super boring.

But, one of my top three things I'm looking forward to is being able to fit into normal-sized clothes, which will expand my overall options significantly! And because I will have that freedom, I want to create a style for myself for the first time in my life. I've been overweight since middle school.

So far I've only made it back to the size I was in maybe high school, so I haven't exactly experienced the joy of fitting into a size that I never have before. But the new found confidence I already have has made me comfortable in trying new things. As I get thinner, I suddenly think "Oh, I can pull that off now", whereas before I just thought it would look stupid.

So part of it for me was that I was limited in options of what I could buy, and even sometimes I guess I could buy things in the right size but I thought because I was so heavy, I had no business wearing them. I think I will look like a completely different person in more than one way when I reach my GW.

I'm glad you posted these questions - I think it's an interesting topic. Clothes for overweight people can be such a pain, and a cause for stress and frustration.
  • seltzermint555
    Options
    So far I've only made it back to the size I was in maybe high school, so I haven't exactly experienced the joy of fitting into a size that I never have before. But the new found confidence I already have has made me comfortable in trying new things. As I get thinner, I suddenly think "Oh, I can pull that off now", whereas before I just thought it would look stupid.

Yes! This is exactly the sort of thing I'm talking about! Thanks for your post!

I have also been overweight since middle school (and before). Right now I'm about 20 lb smaller than I was in high school and hoping to get to my junior high weight soon. It is weird though for me to have a closet with nothing larger than 18 or 1X. That has definitely not happened in over 20 years for me!

As for pulling off certain looks, I feel that way too. Today I have on a dress that fit me when I was 60 lb heavier but it's pretty loose. This could be its last hurrah, I am not sure. But I have a smaller cardigan on, and leggings with ankle boots. A few years ago (my highest weight was almost 100 lb over my current weight), I would not have worn this getup. I would have felt like my legs resembled carrots shoved into tiny wedges of leather. I never hated my body even at my largest and I have always liked fashion and taking (small) chances with it - but yeah...I am starting to branch out, for sure.
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    I know my style will change because my clothes are BORING! They're for hiding in, and I am ready to be noticed! I've recently started to stay up at night looking at outfits on Pinterest to find my new style!
  • seltzermint555
    Options
    I know my style will change because my clothes are BORING! They're for hiding in, and I am ready to be noticed! I've recently started to stay up at night looking at outfits on Pinterest to find my new style!

Totally gonna admit a lot of my fashion ideas come from Pinterest the past year or so ;-D

Especially black/white gingham shirts and red jeans. OBSESSED, and never considered either item for myself until Pinterest.
  • farmgirlrrt
    farmgirlrrt Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I treated myself to a whole new wardrobe. Worth it.
  • chelstakencharge
    chelstakencharge Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    I have gone from a 20wp to a 4/6p. My style has totally changed. I love being able to shop in the "tiny" size. I also find it fun to shop at Old Navy and order a size small petite skirt, get it in the mail and it looks super cute.
  • Zelinna
    Zelinna Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    My style has definitely changed.

Partly because now I fit into clothes I always wanted to wear, but also because styles that used to look good on the bigger now don't look as good. For instance, I love wide leg pants, but now I look like I am just swimming in them.
  • heylookitsval
    heylookitsval Posts: 1,141 Member
    Options
    I dropped 4 pant sizes so far and I still haven't bought new clothes...I look like MC Hammer.
  • Broderick50
    Broderick50 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    I haven't bought new clothes for myself in years. I'm currently wearing pants that are a full two sizes too big. When I hit the 300lb mark I'm going to update my pants defintely and some of the shirts. I'm holding back on some of the shirts because I'm lifting also and as my chest and arm muscle grow that will affect my size more.
  • srobertking
    srobertking Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I've had to replace my wardrobe several times over the last year unless I wanted to look really silly. Thank god for thrift stores. They keep me from going broke. Plus, I find name brand stuff that I would never be able to buy new. I feel like a rock star walking around town now!
  • djeffreys10
    djeffreys10 Posts: 2,312 Member
    Options
    For me, new clothes equaled old me. But not after weight loss. When I was married, I didn't own a pair of wranglers or cowboy boots. Over the years, I became someone that, looking back on, I don't recognize. It was after my divorce that I started changing up my wardrobe. Then I lost weight and had to keep buying new stuff to replace the stuff that was too big. But I actually feel like me again, so it's worth it.
  • Donnaakamagmid
    Donnaakamagmid Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I used to never wear skirts and the only dresses I wore were maxi dresses to hide (HA like that works). Most days I now wear knee length pencil skirts to the office. I still wear jeans on the weekend but now I also wear denim skirts a lot. It's kind of freeing and definitely makes me feel more sexy. Oh the the best thing is I can now wear knee high boots! Could never get them up over my calves before.

I buy most stuff on clearance but for the past 2 years I've bought my winter coats at the Goodwill. $15 please another 15-20 to clean/mend them. Really nice coats. I gave Goodwill all my old clothes.
  • heylookitsval
    heylookitsval Posts: 1,141 Member
    Options
    For me, new clothes equaled old me. But not after weight loss. When I was married, I didn't own a pair of wranglers or cowboy boots. Over the years, I became someone that, looking back on, I don't recognize. It was after my divorce that I started changing up my wardrobe. Then I lost weight and had to keep buying new stuff to replace the stuff that was too big. But I actually feel like me again, so it's worth it.

Good choice on the wranglers and cowboy boots. :drinker:
  • purple180
    purple180 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I have grown very fun of "Thrift Shops" you will be amazed at all the great things I find, name brand (Banana Republic, GAP, Kenneth Cole, Ann Taylor, etc.) with the tags still on them. AMAZING. I love shopping now as before I dreaded it.
  • djeffreys10
    djeffreys10 Posts: 2,312 Member
    Options

Good choice on the wranglers and cowboy boots. :drinker:

Just getting back to my roots :wink:
  • tomwatso
    tomwatso Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    I have done it. Buying clothes now more than I ever have. Most people don't recognize me at first. I really like the change. Keeps people guessing.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    I used to wear baggy clothes that covered the bumps and bulges, now I can actually tuck in blouses and look good that way! So yes, I don't dress nearly as frumpy as I did when I weighed more.
  • wiscck
    wiscck Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I haven't gotten to maintenance yet, so no brand new wardrobe, but I've been wearing some things a bit too big and hitting thrift stores for the rest. I started at a size 18 and yesterday I was able to take off a pair of size 16 jeans without undoing the button, so I think it's time to pick up a few new pairs.

Thankfully I have a job where I can wear jeans and a t-shirt, because I probably wouldn't be able to afford to keep updating a professional wardrobe. But I graduate next month and am job-searching at the moment, so probably soon.
  • ingeh
    ingeh Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Im dressing more "emo/punky" styles now. Im only 22 so I hope I can pull it off. I love that style and coloured jeans and slogan tops. Im aiming for a uk size 8 jeans size as an ultimate goal. Im in 10s now so nearly lol At the moment clothes are more for covering my body but when I get happier and at my goal then il go out with abit of money and spend it on a new wardbrobe of staple mix and match pieces!
  • svsl0928
    svsl0928 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I was smart enough hold on to few of the smaller sizes (14/16). Now I am wearing them. I am really in between sizes but my smaller version of the larger size (16) are do able in most case. Some of my large 16s and 14Ws I have had altered. I don't like the way my 1x tops and coat fits. Also to save on money, I got some clothes from a cousin who has lost weight. She gave me her size 14 skirts which fit me just right.

It really helps to wear clothes that fit the new you. This helps you and others see change.

I hope this helps.