3 Days in and not inspired

Options
Hi all,

I'm serious this time.. if you look back on my diary you can see I started to do a low carb thing with gym and was sporadic about updating and then stopped. Starting Monday I have eaten nothing but spinach and grilled chicken with green bell pepper and red bell pepper for lunch with about a tablespoon of lite italian dressing, snacking on almonds (never more than 15) when I get cravings during the work day and drinking lots of water. At dinner I have had the same, except last night I had a can of light progresso chicken noodle soup. I've mixed in some grilled zuchinni here and there and eaten a banana and an apple here and there but that is pretty much it. I have also exercised all 3 days for at least an hour 2 of the 3 days doing high intensity interval type workouts on the tredmil elliptical and bike and follow it with lifting weights for my chest and arms to tone up and some hip abduction thigh machines. I feel like after 3 days I would at least maintain my weight or lose a couple of pounds but I seem to have almost gained a pound.

This is not helping me to get motivated and continue! I'm not eating any bread or processed foods and only drinking water and really cutting back on carbs... Any suggestions?

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Quit making it so difficult. Lean chicken and spinach have no magic weight loss properties. Eat whatever food you want that fits in your calorie budget. You've also taken on a new exercise program at the same time which probably along with the sodium filled chicken soup has you retaining some water. You don't need a special diet ie: low carb to lose weight and it isn't a 3 day event.
  • foremant86
    foremant86 Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    Don't be so strict with it.

You don't have to eat just spinach and chicken and whatever else you mentioned, eat a more normal but healthy diet.

The key to weight loss is to change your relationship with food, you can't go all strict and crazy with it unless you can actually eat that way for life, otherwise you need to find a balanced diet that you can maintain for life.

Also don't be in such a hurry to see the scale go down, my jumped 2lbs the first week.

Our bodies take time to adjust, especially when we start new workouts as we tend to hold onto water from sore muscles.

Calm down, it's not a sprint, it's a very long distance marathon. Weight loss is for life, not something to be rushed into. If you go all strict and quickly lose weight there is a good chance you will fail at the end and gain it all back because you aren't eating for life.
  • chelstakencharge
    chelstakencharge Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    You are making this way more complicated than it has to be......
  • fat2fit72014
    Options
    i started a tumblr and i follow other people that are on the same journey or have accomplished what i am trying to. it really does help!
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Find out how many calories you burn a day. Eat at a reasonable calorie deficit to lose weight. Eat whatever you want within those calories. Eat back your exercise calories.

If I did what you're doing right now, I'd have thrown in the towel 36 hours in. You're making weight loss miserable, and it doesn't have to be.
  • bekahlou75
    bekahlou75 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Not inspired after 3 days?
    You are a woman. Your weight will fluctuate like crazy. You should already know this. I can weigh first thing in the morning and an hour later I'm a pound or two heavier. It happens. Pick one day for weighing. Weigh at same time the next week. Take measurements. Compare them weekly. Notice little differences in the way your clothes fit. Pay attention to how you feel when you go up a flight of stairs. Are you as winded as you may have been a month ago? Is that 20 pound bag of rice/dog food/fertilizer easier to pick up and carry? The scale is NOT the only measurement. Stick with it and don't give up.
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    You are making this way more complicated than it has to be......

Exactly this.

Calories in vs calories out.
    Stick to your calorie deficit while hitting your macros while enjoying the things you like.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I'm not eating any bread or processed foods and only drinking water and really cutting back on carbs

I think I found the reason you're not motivated or inspired to continue.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    You're doing it wrong.

Expecting to lose a couple of pounds after 3 days, limiting your self to spinach and chicken? Where are these crazy ideas coming from?

Go back to step 1; Count calories. End.
  • rb16fitness
    rb16fitness Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I'm not motivated by your meal plan either and I didn't even have to suffer it!

Quit low carb as you're evidently not enjoying it so why endure it?
    Eat whatever takes your fancy and enjoy every mouthful but just stick to your mfp daily calorie allowance. There's no need to over complicate matters.
  • Hildy0724
    Hildy0724 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am also 3 days in and feel GREAT!!! I am working out in shorter intervals and not depriving myself of foods I like. I use moderation as mentioned in prior post. This combo is helping me with the "burned out feeling" I so many times would get. Hoping these simple changes will keep me on track longer. If you need motivation, I am here.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    You're doing it wrong.
    ^Absolutely. No wonder you're not inspired. I'm surprised you've lasted 3 days.

It doesn't have to be torture, Keep it simple. Eat the foods you like to eat. Log your food and keep to a reasonable (ie not crazy big) calorie deficit. That's it.
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    Can't see your diary.

Wait. That's all you're eating on top of exercising? Snap.

How many calories is that?

And it sounds miserable.

Is what you are currently doing something you want to do for the rest of your life? No, I'm serious. If what you are doing is not sustainable, you probably don't need to be doing it.

I've hit my base goal on things I like to eat; chocolate, wine, beef, pasta, bread, wine, cheeses, all kinds of veggies, an occasional piece of cake, ice cream, and did I mention wine? Granted, it took me almost ten months to drop forty-some pounds, and I've decided to drop my goal a little more, but I can do this for as long as I need to because I don't feel like this is a diet.

Just my $0.02. :smile:
  • Kamikazeflutterby
    Kamikazeflutterby Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    Don't completely overhaul your diet and exercise all at once. It took a long time to establish the habits that got you overweight, it'll take time to change it. Eat at a calorie deficit and don't worry about finding inspiration to keep you chewing food that sounds, frankly, boring.

Low carb is not a magical weight loss bullet, it's just very, very hard to over eat on calories when you have to save the small carb allowance you have for veggies and fruit. Work on finding easy to maintain lower calorie foods and then, when you've been doing this a while, see if you want to restrict your carb intake for whatever reason.
  • bekahlou75
    bekahlou75 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Can't see your diary.

Wait. That's all you're eating on top of exercising? Snap.

How many calories is that?

And it sounds miserable.

Is what you are currently doing something you want to do for the rest of your life? No, I'm serious. If what you are doing is not sustainable, you probably don't need to be doing it.

I've hit my base goal on things I like to eat; chocolate, wine, beef, pasta, bread, wine, cheeses, all kinds of veggies, an occasional piece of cake, ice cream, and did I mention wine? Granted, it took me almost ten months to drop forty-some pounds, and I've decided to drop my goal a little more, but I can do this for as long as I need to because I don't feel like this is a diet.

Just my $0.02. :smile:

Wine makes me happy!
  • bethannien
    bethannien Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    I'm not eating any bread or processed foods and only drinking water and really cutting back on carbs

[/quote]

I think progresso soup would qualify as a processed food, yo.

It takes months, not days, to see a real and significant difference. Motivation has to come from within or you'll never make it. To be honest, I really want to give up at some point MOST DAYS. But my health is important to me, so usually I ignore the voice that says to throw in the towel. We put ourselves here. No outside force is going to make us lose the weight just like no outside force made us gain it.
  • InForBacon
    InForBacon Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    tumblr_inline_mockzgE9IN1qz4rgp.gif
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Also, adjust your expectations in terms of time. This is not something that happens quickly, it's a long-term, even life-long thing. You can't expect big changes after 3 days.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
  • staceykristen
    staceykristen Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Jeez, I obviously am sticking to this longer than 3 days, I have lost 50 pounds in the past and can do it again. I was just surprised that I gained in the beginning when I drastically changed my exercise and eating habits. Please do not comment if you are going to be rude. This forum is for support.
This discussion has been closed.