Divorce: is it worth it?

Options

Replies

• UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    The single life doesn't suck nearly as much as it would if I had stayed married.
  • atb0821
    atb0821 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Getting a divorce was one of my best decisions ever.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Finishing up the process right now.

I would never thought I would say it, but yep, well worth it.

Life is simply brilliant and euphoric now that my boat doesn't have an anchor of drama and selfishness.
  • pobalita
    pobalita Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    I'm much happier now. I am me again and no longer trying to mold myself into something I'm not for someone else.

Best of all, I am finally in control of whether I am happy or not.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Best decision I ever made... but my life experience has zilch to do with yours, so please don't use an Internet forum in your decision making process if you're thinking of ending your marriage.
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,723 Member
    Options
    It wasn't my choice but I am so much happier now that it's over

Yup.

+1
  • pobalita
    pobalita Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Life is simply brilliant and euphoric now that my boat doesn't have an anchor of drama and selfishness.

this, exactly :drinker:
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    My first marriage? Absolutely worth it! 4 1/2 years of being miserably married.

I thought I wanted a divorce from my second husband after 20 years of marriage and 22 years total together. When it came down to the line though, I realized that he was the person I was meant to spend the rest of my life with. Several months of marriage counseling and lots of work on both of our parts and we are happier now, almost 2 years later, than we had ever been before.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Uhh..... I like being married. We are happier now than we've ever been after 9.5 years (11 being together). Just thought I'd throw that in. :embarassed:
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Uhh..... I like being married. We are happier now than we've ever been after 9.5 years (11 being together). Just thought I'd throw that in. :embarassed:

HI-FIVE!!
  • gabbygirl78
    gabbygirl78 Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    it depends on the situation. If your just bored and want something different or if you just disagree on certain things than I would think not but if your marriage has some pretty serious issues then divorce may be the better option for you both.
  • lobster888
    lobster888 Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    Getting a divorce was one of my best decisions ever.

This was me! I am actually a better person because it! I tried so hard to make it work...but we were both so unhappy.
  • tmm_0127
    tmm_0127 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    God yes it was worth it.

He emotionally and verbally abused me every day for almost 2 years. Got the hell out of there.

Hopefully my second marriage will be happy and sticks for life. :)
  • Khisalandra
    Khisalandra Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I am so much happier now. I would be a totally miserable person if I was still married to my ex. He's a good guy, but we just ended up wanting completely different things out of life.

Very much this. It's not that my ex was a bad person... he was just bad for ME. I finally stopped trying to be the "good wifey" after 9 years and realized that. I'm much, much happier now with my second husband. We fit together much better and want more of the same things.
  • 1dce
    1dce Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I'm happier, a lot less stress and tension and so forth. However I think this is something you shouldn't be basing on others experiences. This is not something that is a black and white area. You need to figure this out with your spouse. Good luck :)
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    YES YES YES.

I spent 10 unhappy, lonely years with my first husband. Now that I am happily married to my best friend? Best decision ever.

You gotta do what's best for YOU.
  • JewelsinBigD
    JewelsinBigD Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    The thing about divorce is that you without that other person is STILL YOU.
    If they are abusive, hateful worthless people- you are probably better off. If they are decent people, you are probably better off where you are. I have had MANY friends divorce decent people and live to regret it. I don't know of anyone who was actually better off. Many lost their children's trust, friends respect, the list goes on and on. Some of my friends kids even chose the other parent eventually and then they lost the joy of raising their own kids.
    Figure out why you think divorce is a good idea first. If it has anything to do with YOU - and not the other person - then work on you and don't get divorced. If it is the other person - they are mean, abusive, hateful, then consider it as an option.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    IME, grass is never greener, it's just different grass.

So it comes down to your ability to be happy given the situation. I'm happier on my own than I am with someone who sucks the life out of me. Not everyone is.

Part of me can't help but think that if you have to ask this question, your marriage isn't that bad.
  • missyj1115
    missyj1115 Posts: 1,220 Member
    Options
    ABSOLUTELY WORTH IT!!!

The grass will never be greener on the other side,
    the grass is greener wherever you choose to water it!
  • Silent1980
    Options
    I regret for not doing it sooner