Parenthood is it worth it?

Options
ldrosophila
ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
To copycat the other posts:

I'm about to give up my 36 some years of carefree childless days in less than two months. I was thinking about some of this things I'll miss such as sleep, being able to travel at the drop of a hat and staying out all night.

What to is it about your kids that makes them so much more special then the days of freedom? Do you miss your freedom? Just want to hear your story about your adorable progeny, and how they've turned your life upside down for the better.

Replies

• mrsamanda86
    mrsamanda86 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I didn't get much of an adult life minus children lol I had my first at 20... I love love love my kids, but be very happy you had your freedom, I still have at least 15 years before I get mine!! :yawn: <---I miss when sleeping in meant like ten, not like 7 LOL
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I'll never have children because I don't want to give up the life of a non-parent. I decided this when I was a teen and have stuck to it.
  • leachjg
    leachjg Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    The very moment you look your little one in the eyes your former life will disappear and you will wonder why you waited so long. I have three. They are frustrating, sometimes annoying, but the other 95% of the time they bring the greatest joy, wonder, excitement, and love to your world.
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    You miss your freedom, yes... but at the same time, you mature & your priorities change. You don't want the same freedoms you had before kids. Is the tradeoff worth it? Abosultely.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I couldn't imagine my world without my son. Sure there's somethings to miss, but what a great trade off to have this amazing little person in your life (okay my kid is a teenager now and not so little - about a foot taller than me!). So worth it!
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    I adore my boys so much. I am a divorced mother so I have some time when my boys are with their father....and I do take advantage of the time to have a bit of me time but I miss them like crazy too! And I always say all is right with the world when they're back home with me. They do put so much in perspective. As long as we're all healthy, we're good. I rarely sleep past 7, meals are not often hot when I'm with them and the saying cleaning with kids around is like shoveling during a snowstorm is very accurate....but I wouldn't trade it for the world. They have already grown so fast...and I know they will be out of the house before I know it! :)
  • steph6467
    steph6467 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Soo.. I assume this is done deal, right? You're not asking if you *should* have kids, you have an impending kid, no turning back?

If so.. it's AWESOME. Totally worth it!! So hard but fabulous.

(But for those of you reading that are just considering having kids.. run. run away. fast. do not look back.) Just kidding. Sort of.
  • CompressedCarbon
    CompressedCarbon Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Cheap entertainment. Also you get to play with toys again and no one looks at you funny.
  • SpecialKitty7
    SpecialKitty7 Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    I'll never have children because I don't want to give up the life of a non-parent. I decided this when I was a teen and have stuck to it.

ditto. my mom actually says that while she wouldn't trade my brother or i for anything, she really wishes she didn't cave to the pressure to have kids.
  • 4homer
    4homer Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Every day.
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    Wouldn't trade it for the world. As exciting as pre-kid adult life was, it was torturously boring compared to life with kids.

Rigger
  • ldrosophila
    Options
    Soo.. I assume this is done deal, right? You're not asking if you *should* have kids, you have an impending kid, no turning back?

If so.. it's AWESOME. Totally worth it!! So hard but fabulous.

(But for those of you reading that are just considering having kids.. run. run away. fast. do not look back.) Just kidding. Sort of.

LOL no turning back this acrobat is getting close to making a debut.
  • ldrosophila
    Options

ditto. my mom actually says that while she wouldn't trade my brother or i for anything, she really wishes she didn't cave to the pressure to have kids.

I was this way for a long time didnt have that desire, but for me when 29 hit I knew what the meant by a biological clock. TICK TOCK TICK TOCK!
  • usernameMAMA
    usernameMAMA Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    I didn't have my first until I was 32. I never planned on having kids because of the freedom I had. Like a previous poster stated, once you see their face and look into their eyes, it surpasses any other feeling of joy you have ever felt. There is nothing in my non-parent life that has ever compared to having my little man. He makes me laugh, and I mean belly laugh, every single day since he was born. Those laughs and his tight little hugs make parenthood totally worth it:)
  • beach_please
    beach_please Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of things I miss about life before kids, but they're the only people in the world who can drive me almost to the brink of sanity, yet I miss them like crazy the minute they're not right with me. Plus, they make me laugh every day.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    The best part of having children is that one day you will have grandchildren, and that is when the fun begins!!

I love my boys and I am very happy that I had them because they made the bond with my husband much stronger. Yes, they were a pain, specially during their teens ( I am sooo happy that those days are over), but they are great human beings, husbands and fathers. So everything was worthy.

Good luck with your little one; you will fall in love as soon as he is in your arms. :heart:
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    The fun of freedom is so not even close to the unspeakable joy of being called "Mama". I wish I'd given up a few years of freedom and started sooner. I adore, love, worship and cherish my little boy every second of every day, even when he's being obnoxious. I can hardly wait to give him brothers and sisters!
  • Sister_Someone
    Sister_Someone Posts: 567 Member
    Options

This.
  • goddessofsewing
    goddessofsewing Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    What I lost in terms of freedom I have gotten back a hundredfold in fulfillment, love, joy, and purpose. There are certainly hard times but they don't compare to the moments when one of them spontaneously throws their little arms around me and tells me they love me. And so, while I adore naptime, there's nothing quite like the laughter and happiness my three little ones bring into my life. Totally worth it.
  • RunBrew
    RunBrew Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    You literally cannot explain the sheer joy you feel as a parent when coming home after a long $hitty day and the minute you walk in the door your 2 year-old Screams "DADDY! (or MOMMY!) and runs full speed across the room to throw themselves at you in a big hug.

My wife and I tag-teamed a soul-crushingly long 9 months of a baby who didn't sleep through the night, switching off with the kid, first for bottles, then for crying over lost pacifiers and blankets.

None of those nights sleeping on the floor while they were teething and miserable matter when you go to leave or put them to bed and they say 'Love you Daddy, me kisses?" and "Twinkle Star Please?"