Parenthood is it worth it?

Options

Replies

• ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Yep, knew reading your stories would cause a few tears.
  • steph6467
    steph6467 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Smart *kitten*-ery aside, ;0) I'm a mom of 4 but I started young and gave up my freedom by 25. I do love my kids, but not sure I'd do that again. My husband and I only had a very few short years before our relationship went from being all about us to all about them. I think that was really the hardest part.

I *adored* my babies as babies. I was a great baby mom. Toddlers and preschoolers were tough for me because I'm not the most patient person in the world and human beings that are obstinate and unreasonable 95% of their waking hours are difficult to manage for impatient people. Now that everyone can speak in full sentences and control their bodily functions (ages 8 to 14), we get along pretty well. Although I maintain that sibling bickering is the definition of hell and I probably would have been a bang up mom if I'd stopped at one.

The sleep deprivation sucks balls but holidays are a lot more fun. Traveling will blow for a decade. I'd advise you to skip it all together and save your money for a friggin' FANTASTIC vacation when the kid turns 10 or 12. The toys are fun. Your photography will improve (because kids inherently look cute in pictures) until they hit the awkward tween stage. Go to the grocery store ALONE, even if that means you go at 1 a.m. Don't stop having sex, even if it's just quickies for the next four years. Don't buy goldfish because those g*da*n things are addictive and have 100,000 calories per handful.

I think that's it. Enjoy. ;)
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Soo.. I assume this is done deal, right? You're not asking if you *should* have kids, you have an impending kid, no turning back?

If so.. it's AWESOME. Totally worth it!! So hard but fabulous.

(But for those of you reading that are just considering having kids.. run. run away. fast. do not look back.) Just kidding. Sort of.

:laugh:
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I didn't become a father (at least that I know of.....) until I was almost 40, despite the grey hairs & wrinkles caused by my kids I wouldn't change a thing.

My son turned 18 this year & my daughter will be 16 tomorrow. Watching them go from being helpless little blobs of humanity to funny, bright, articulate (sometimes too articulate), caring human beings has been the greatest adventure of my life.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    No.
  • ElsaVonMarmalade
    ElsaVonMarmalade Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    We are struggling with whether to have a third (currently have 18-month-old twins), and the problem with this decision is that you can't make it logically. There is a long, long "con" list, mostly involving freedom and money and convenience, and only two things on the "pro" side:

1) Less chance you'll end up alone and neglected as an old person

2) A completely intangible thing that you cannot put into words, cannot explain to non-parents, cannot even really explain to yourself. It's totally different than anything else in my life and it's so good that it can make you consider having more even when both of your 18-month-olds are crying and you desperately need sleep and someone just pooped AGAIN. All that stuff passes. But this love, man - it's forever. And it's bigger than anything you ever imagined.

(Edited to add: I do not think everyone should have children. It's great if you're with the right person or just want children and have the love and resources to spare. I'd never tell someone that they SHOULD have children - and don't believe you need them to be happy or fulfilled - but if you're on the fence because of all those practical cons - I do say go for it.)
  • ravenribbs
    ravenribbs Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I never wanted children for some of the reasons posted. My marriage was not well-thought out, as my husband very much wanted children. Children, as far as I was concerned, were yet another thing for ME to deal with in this particular relationship--that is, he wants the theory, I get all the application. I was/am not wrong in that assessment. HOWEVER:

I've been solo parenting for 8 years and am absolutely confident that my boy is better off as is than he would be with the irresponsible person that is his father in his life.

Is parenthood worth it?? Damn straight.
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    I'll never have children because I don't want to give up the life of a non-parent. I decided this when I was a teen and have stuck to it.

ditto. my mom actually says that while she wouldn't trade my brother or i for anything, she really wishes she didn't cave to the pressure to have kids.

Me too! My husband and I might think about it later (we're only 26 and 27 right now and wouldn't even consider it until early to mid 30's), but for right now, I can't imagine it. School, work, moving around (military). I'll stick to animals for now and just babysit my nieces and nephews! I used to get the pressure until my they came along. Now I can just spoil!
  • mammamaurer
    mammamaurer Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    my kids are insaine, and have caused me to lose IQ points, my mind, money, and a clean house... i wouldent give them up for anything though... allthough i wouldent mind a night off sometime(or the chance to pee alone)... i havent not had one of them with in 5 feet of me for about 6 months now... we would love a date night ... anyone know a babysiter?
  • huango
    huango Posts: 1,007 Member
    Options
    DD: "I love you Mommy."
    Me: "I love you MORE".
    DD: "No, I love you more."
    Me: "Sweetie, you can't imagine just how much Mommy loves you until you have a baby of your own."

So worth it!
  • shining_light
    shining_light Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I'm a stepmom with no children of my own. I have never wanted children of my own, and I still don't really. Frankly, I never liked children. But something about loving the boy's father as much as I do makes me, by extension, love him too. So while I probably won't have biological children(though it could happen), I'd say it's worth it for sure. My partner says that he didn't want kids until he had one, if that makes sense. I believe that I will be the same way, so we'll see what fate has in store for me.
  • Erica0718
    Erica0718 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Not for me, I have never had the desire to be a mom.

Getting to leave on a trip on the spur of the moment, having extra cash, not having the responsibility, the list goes on...I enjoy my life so much the way it is I cannot imagine being tied down.
  • ktsimons
    ktsimons Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I was 31 when I had my daughter. I was told by numerous doctors that I would never get pregnant so when the line turned blue it was a stunning surprise...I wasn't married...what was the point! LOL...long story short, we married quickly, still together and my daughter is 17. I cannot even begin to think how horribly lonely my life would be without that amazing human! YES....everything - EVERYTHING is worth it to me. We have the most wonderful relationship and not many mom's of teens can say that!

I think that waiting until 30 or later is a good compromise. I would not be as good a mother if I had kids in my early 20's...that's just me, I was having too much fun! I feel like waiting a little while afforded me the best of both worlds.
  • markink81
    markink81 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    We have two a 20 year old girl and a 23 year old boy they have and continue to enrich our lives. Teaching both my children how to ride bikes, throw, fish, camp you name it we have probably done it TOGETHER.

Did it put a damper on things, did we feel like we gave up going places at a drop of a dime at times, sure but that comes with the responsibility of having children. The question should be did we feel deprived by not being able to do certain things that single folks don't give a second thought about...Well let me put it to you this way, when your daughter takes your face with both of her little hands and looks at you and says' " I love you Daddy" well that's more than enough for me.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    I hope so! My little one will be arriving in about three months!
  • Melionfire
    Melionfire Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I am 32 and just had my first. She will be five months on Monday and I still look at her in awe and can't quite believe my husband and I made this beautiful little person. The best part is when they smile at you for the first time and I don't mean those first reflex smiles! I mean when their face light up multiple times a day just at the sight of you. There are tough times and leaving the house will hold a new meaning for you but it is definitely worth it. And I agree with one of the other posters as soon as the doctor gives you the go ahead squeeze sex in whenever you can your relationship is also important even if your focus as shifted a bit from him to your baby!!
  • biorach
    biorach Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Totally brought me to life. I've never been one to party or act like a kid but I always said I wanted a career over having kids. I got pregnant in high school :noway: and am now about to start my second year of college. The moment I felt him kick, I knew that I was experiencing the best type of love... I never thought I wanted children but now I can't wait to have more... (after I get that degree of course) :bigsmile:
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Yep I miss my freedom. And flexible funds. And sanity.

But the pros? Looking at this person that YOU made. Seeing your attributes and those of your partners. Regailing their accomplishments because it's something YOU taught them. Knowing that how you raise and teach them directly affects how they turned out as a person. It's a lot of stress and a heavy load, but it's more than worth it. That child will love you unconditionally and you will know more love for that 1 little person than you ever imagined possible.

As a parent you will lose sleep. Lose money. Realize how little patience you really have. Learn that a little dirt really doesn't hurt. Realize that a messy house is okay because you're just too tired to clean up. Gain an amazing acceptance of puke, poop, and disgusting noises. Have converstations that consist completely of the smell, color, and consistancy of poop. Learn that the terms "Containment breech" and "complete blowout" mean the same thing.

Yes...it's absolutely worth it.
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I had my first kiddo at 23, and he will be 2 years old in Jan. Do I miss the carefree childfree life? Sometimes, but honestly, if it wasn't for him, I wouldn't have gone back to college. if it wasn't for him, I don't think I would have come out of my depression after losing my mom.

It's hard, I am not going to lie. But for me, it's well worth it in the end because I now have a reason outside of proving people wrong and a promise to my mom on her deathbed about graduating from college. I can now be a better mom then what my mom was.

Make sure your relationship gets attention though too as well as yourself. I make sure mine and my husband's marriage gets attention, but I often forget to give myself any attention because I feel selfish for it.

But i wouldn't trade my kiddo and hubby for anything in the world.
  • vbrent07
    vbrent07 Posts: 115
    Options
    My kid made me grow up and changed my life for the better. He has a disability and it's very hard at times but I wouldn't change it for the world. Yes it is so worth it!