Clean Eating Bashing?

Replies

• jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    yes, I've heard about how you train exactly the same after a major injury like fracturing your pelvis. Certainly there wouldn't have been any rehab or extra cross training that would have helped. :noway:

Helped what exactly? His power to weight ratio?

If you want cycle specific adaptations you do cycle specific training. Rehab and cross training have little if no impact on that.

You're right silly me - it was the slight increase in clean food alone that made the difference.

That's the lesson you want us to take isn't it..........

Not particularly.

The lesson was you don't have to take drastic steps when modifying your diet to reap positive results or get too caught up in eliminating things - it is balance which is important, even for high level performers.

Still, nothing like confirming your own biases eh?

Are you certain whose confirmation bias is showing?
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    yes, I've heard about how you train exactly the same after a major injury like fracturing your pelvis. Certainly there wouldn't have been any rehab or extra cross training that would have helped. :noway:

Helped what exactly? His power to weight ratio?

If you want cycle specific adaptations you do cycle specific training. Rehab and cross training have little if no impact on that.

You're right silly me - it was the slight increase in clean food alone that made the difference.

That's the lesson you want us to take isn't it..........

Not particularly.

The lesson was you don't have to take drastic steps when modifying your diet to reap positive results or get too caught up in eliminating things - it is balance which is important, even for high level performers.

Still, nothing like confirming your own biases eh?

You are attributing his increased success to how much cleaner he supposedly ate. Do you not see the problem here?
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member

You are attributing his increased success to how much cleaner he supposedly ate. Do you not see the problem here?

No, I am attributing his success to dropping weight which was facilitated by improving the ratio of his "clean" foods to "junk" food, not eliminating anything.

If you wanted clarification on what I thought or it was unclear you could have just asked me.
  • helpmeet2day
    helpmeet2day Posts: 33 Member
    OK, so I read part of the first thread...didn't get through all 20 pages, lol. I'll just list my reason....

I was diagnosed with stage IV endometriosis last May. They have found that eating "clean" can help with the pain. So I've been trying it. It's WORKING. I notice when I fall off the wagon and eat crap food, I don't feel as well. I'm trying my best to eat clean at all times. Weight loss for me is just a bonus (I've lost 20lbs, but just started on MFP today, so started with today's weight)

I also think that eating 90/10 or even 80/20 isn't going to kill you. Judge for yourself. If you feel ok , i.e. not nauseous, bloated, or in pain, eating some "junk" and it makes you happy, GO FOR IT!

I have endometriosis too how horrible that pain is I am so glad this is working for you!!! Seriously I would eat rocks if it would help no matter what anybody said!
  • msf74

Yes.
  • jonnythan

No, I am attributing his success to dropping weight which was facilitated by improving the ratio of his "clean" foods to "junk" food, not eliminating anything.

If you wanted clarification on what I thought or it was unclear you could have just asked me.

Wait. He lost 10 lbs because he ate cleaner foods?

Huh?
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Actually speaking of cyclists, Chris Horner springs to mind as an athlete who was notorious for fuelling his training on high amounts of "junk", staying lean and performing well. That is until a crash in 2009. Fearing his diet would accelerate weight gain he "cleaned" up his diet, dropped 10 lbs in the process and had one of his best ever seasons well into his late 30s.

Did he take any drastic steps? Not really. He just reduced his consumption of "junk" a bit and increased his consumption of "clean" foods in its place.

There's a lesson in that somewhere...

Dropping 10 lbs probably had nothing to do with it, and I'm sure his macro intake and training were identical before and after.

Dropping 10 lbs had nothing to do with it? How do you figure?
  • helpmeet2day
    helpmeet2day Posts: 33 Member
    I had endometriosis and DO I WISH IHAD KNOWN CLEAN EATING WOULD HELP!! Many hours spent writhing on the cool tile bathroom floor, passing out in the dorm, etc. would have been saved. Go for it!!! BTW--Rocks are a natural food!lol!:flowerforyou:
  • jonnythan
    Actually speaking of cyclists, Chris Horner springs to mind as an athlete who was notorious for fuelling his training on high amounts of "junk", staying lean and performing well. That is until a crash in 2009. Fearing his diet would accelerate weight gain he "cleaned" up his diet, dropped 10 lbs in the process and had one of his best ever seasons well into his late 30s.

Did he take any drastic steps? Not really. He just reduced his consumption of "junk" a bit and increased his consumption of "clean" foods in its place.

Dropping 10 lbs probably had nothing to do with it, and I'm sure his macro intake and training were identical before and after.

Sarcasm.
  • jofjltncb6

Yes.

This little discussion is a wonderful example of the problem. You have these variables at play, but you are convinced that it was "clean eating" that led to the improved results. The response is that you can't know that's the reason and that it could be other factors...and many will go further and say that it's more likely to be the other factors. You insist the cause is primarily "clean eating" and then accuse the other side of confirmation bias...even though the other side didn't actually make a definitive assertion for the improved results...but you did.

*sigh*

I'm sorry that you still don't see the glaring hypocrisy in your position. I won't belabor the point and will instead trust that most others reading this do (including many of those on the "clean" side of the argument).
  • msf74

Huh?

There was a reason I put the terms clean and junk in quotation marks...

He spontaneously achieved a greater calorie deficit by changing his diet composition with no drastic measures in my opinion. Just ate a bit more fruit, veg etc and a little less of what is considered "junk".
  • jonnythan

Huh?

There was a reason I put the terms clean and junk in quotation marks...

He spontaneously achieved a greater calorie deficit by changing his diet composition with no drastic measures in my opinion. Just ate a bit more fruit, veg etc and a little less of what is considered "junk".

You seem to be implying several different things, but failing to come out and say whatever it is you're thinking.

You said "there's a lesson in there." What's the lesson, to you? Specifically.
  • msf74
    you are convinced that it was "clean eating" that led to the improved results.

Am I?
  • msf74

You said "there's a lesson in there." What's the lesson, to you? Specifically.

That you can achieve good results without drastic measures simply by eating a little less "junk" and a little more "clean" food and without the need to eliminate anything, even if you are performing at a high level and without the need to be meticulous in tracking food intake.

ETA: And this is exactly what I intend to do when I begin my own cycle training plan in the New Year ;)
  • QuietBloom

Sarcasm.

*WHOOSH* :blushing:
  • jofjltncb6
    It's the same "logic" that leads to testimonials for bogus supplements.

1. took supplement...let's call it "Bowgussup".
    2. ate fewer calories (per the Bowgussup plan)
    3. exercised more (also per the Bowgussup plan)

Person loses weight.

"Bowgussup worked great for me! I lost weight and I felt great! Everyone should try Bowgussup because it really works!"

*sigh*
  • Haven't read the whole thing, but what the heck, I'll throw in an anecdote.

One of my good friends is really obsessed with clean eating and a Paleo lifestyle. She has a 4 year old daughter and feeds her this way as well. She spends a lot of time and energy obsessing over food, and finding reasons why certain foods are "bad". She is always picking fights with her daughter's school about snacks that they serve or that they allow other parents to bring in. She has forbidden the school from allowing her daughter to eat snacks brought by other parents unless they are "whole" foods.

The problem is, for herself, she lacks the willpower to stick to these restrictions 100%. She does not allow her child to "cheat" though. She feels really virtuous about this and is constantly bragging about her child's diet.

I suspect her daughter is not getting enough to eat. Children need a surprisingly large amount of calories to grow, and she is being fed her mother's weight loss diet. Not my business, she is taken to regular Dr.'s appointments and I will let them bring it up with her if it becomes a concern. It is still kinda sad to watch though. Her 4 year old weighs substantially less than my 2 year old (who is a bit tall for her age, but NOT overweight). She never plays. My kids will romp around at the park and play in the little creek and she will just stand by quietly and watch. She is this tiny, scrawny little thing with dark circles under her eyes.

"Clean eating" really isn't well defined. If we were to call it "Learn to love whole foods/nutrient dense foods and incorporate them into a balanced diet" there would not be a problem. But, "Clean Eating", however it is defined, tends to be based on foods that are AVOIDED not which foods are included. This is not a recipe for a healthy relationship with food, and, taken to extremes, can actually result in under nourishment.
  • jofjltncb6
    When I started eating super-clean-paleo at the beginning of 2012, I weighed 152. When I stopped eating super-clean-paleo in 2012, I weighed 174 pounds. Currently, after all of 2013 eating whatever I wanted (while still sometimes hitting my macros, or at least hitting my minimums for protein and fat), I weigh 170.

To summarize, I gained 22 pounds in one year eating "clean". I lost 4 pounds in almost a year eating "everything".

Should I spread the word that eating "clean" resulted in weight gain and that eating "everything" resulted in weight loss? Of course not. Instead, I spread the word that I gained weight in 2012 because I ate at a calorie surplus. I lost weight in 2013 because I ate right around maintenance.

Eating "clean" is great...it's delicious (or it can be when done right)...but it isn't magical. Proponents of it would likely be more effective in spreading the good news of clean eating if they stuck to claims that have support.
  • QuietBloom
    Haven't read the whole thing, but what the heck, I'll throw in an anecdote.

One of my good friends is really obsessed with clean eating and a Paleo lifestyle. She has a 4 year old daughter and feeds her this way as well. She spends a lot of time and energy obsessing over food, and finding reasons why certain foods are "bad". She is always picking fights with her daughter's school about snacks that they serve or that they allow other parents to bring in. She has forbidden the school from allowing her daughter to eat snacks brought by other parents unless they are "whole" foods.

The problem is, for herself, she lacks the willpower to stick to these restrictions 100%. She does not allow her child to "cheat" though. She feels really virtuous about this and is constantly bragging about her child's diet.

I suspect her daughter is not getting enough to eat. Children need a surprisingly large amount of calories to grow, and she is being fed her mother's weight loss diet. Not my business, she is taken to regular Dr.'s appointments and I will let them bring it up with her if it becomes a concern. It is still kinda sad to watch though. Her 4 year old weighs substantially less than my 2 year old (who is a bit tall for her age, but NOT overweight). She never plays. My kids will romp around at the park and play in the little creek and she will just stand by quietly and watch. She is this tiny, scrawny little thing with dark circles under her eyes.

"Clean eating" really isn't well defined. If we were to call it "Learn to love whole foods/nutrient dense foods and incorporate them into a balanced diet" there would not be a problem. But, "Clean Eating", however it is defined, tends to be based on foods that are AVOIDED not which foods are included. This is not a recipe for a healthy relationship with food, and, taken to extremes, can actually result in under nourishment.

WTF. That is horrible! Makes me feel quite ragey in fact. :mad:
  • jayrudq
    jayrudq Posts: 503 Member
    But I don't label food clean or dirty.

Then why are you so personally offended about all this clean eating stuff as if you were one of the clean eaters who bash non-clean-eaters?

You think I am personally offended? I had no idea you were so sensitive. I am not offended. I am engaging in a discussion, that for the most part has been fairly intelligent and interesting on a cold dark Wednesday. No bashing here, just some good fun.

How does you being offended count as me being sensitive? :laugh:

You have been consistently taking offense at the things we say about clean eaters. Now you say you aren't one.

Well, you would have to be a very sensitive person to consider read into my responses that I am offended. I think I have been expressing my POV, which is mine, and mine alone. I have never said I eat "clean." I have said I know what works for me - many times over. And, that does not include a lot of Subway. Personal choice.