For me, *this* is why WEIGHTS over CARDIO is KEY!

Options

Replies

• Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,947 Member
    Options
    I certainly lifted "heavier" when I was doing the NROL series (W, Abs, Life) - because the program was designed for heavier and heavier lifts, I guess!

I'm tall - for sure there are women my height that can bang out 225+ lb deadlifts and can bang out the same for squats, etc. For me, I wanted a "shape", a "look" if you will, so whether I can throw around big weight, for me, isn't my goal as compared to LOOKING LIKE I CAN, lol!
  • ccsick
    ccsick Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    No idea how to get started with weights, have flappy arms and hate it, I hate summer because of long sleeves. Any pointers, or ideas? I'm 56 and just started running last year. But cardio isn't the only answer, I know.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    ccsick, I started with the "Body for Life" program - which was (mostly) focused on the different weight-machines you can have access to at a gym. It really taught me about "muscles", for sure.

I then moved onto New Rules of Lifting for Women - seriously, I think it is a GREAT program for beginners, or for anyone who is just a bit intimidated by "free weights".

There are many MORE great programs that are on the shelves, now...."Body for Life" is at least a decade old, I think, and even NROL4W has been superceded by some of the other literature in the Lou Schuler NROL series!

I like Bret C's "Strong Curves" - just because it's full of data, data, data and I'm a data-hound!

Pick a program, print it out, and take it to a personal trainer at a properly-equipped gym and have THAT trainer walk you through the work-out you have picked! The personal trainer can help you with your form, can help design moves around injuries you may have, etc.

Once you've had a few sessions with personal trainer walking you through the moves - you can then do it on your own!! I've been "doing it on my own" for 2 years!
  • rocky503
    rocky503 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Wow, your before looks kinda like me now. It's great to see how the lifting, over a substantial period of time, has changed your body. We're you eating at a deficit as well? And we're you following a program? Congrats, you look great! And I love that it's not been a quick fix - it has become your habit... :)

When I waded into the free weights area, with my sturdy NROL4W bible in hand, I was NOT eating "at a deficit". I did follow the calories in that book, as well as the work-outs, but I gained 5- or 6- lbs on NROL4W. Which really means, I ate too much (and was not in a calorie-deficit, therefore).

Once I found Venus (Sept/12) I better managed/manage to eat in a calorie deficit, so most of the bodyfat loss has been in the last 12 months, actually.

What's "Venus" I'm interested. I am using NROWL4Life now. I want to gain some muscle now.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    You look great!
    Which program did you like more between NROL4 Abs or NROL4Life?
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    I liked NROL4Abs better than NROL4Life - although I think, in theory, the "pick one exercise that is a "pull", pick one exercise that is a "push", pick one exercise that is a "hinge", etc (i.e. the philosophy behind "Life" and "supercharged") makes a LOT OF GOOD SENSE!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    I AM 32.7% BODYFAT!

Ugggghhhhh.

5' 8 3/4" this morning and 146.6 lbs on the DEXA scale stuff.

And, yep, I am 32.7% BODYFAT - even my *lean* torso is not that f*cking lean - 28.6%. Each leg is 40%.

Sooooooooooo, I was HOPING I wasn't "30%" - for 2+ YEARS I've been aiming for "20%". And, in fact, I am 32.7% BODYFAT.

I am feeling AWFUL about myself right now - will perk up tomorrow (I also had my flu shot, today).

Unbelievable how DELUSIONAL I have been.

Also, totally UNBELIEVABLE what the "naked eye" sees, compared to a DEXA. Just sayin'....

(Can you IMAGINE what percentage I was at in my "before" photo??? Must have been close to 50-friggin'-per cent bodyfat!!"
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    So look at this way...you've made HUGE progress in lowering your body fat%.

As I'm sure you learned through all your reading/research that it can take years of healthy lifestyle to get body fat down in the "athletic" range. Don't be discouraged and keep lifting heavy!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    backphoto20131030_zps8416e6b2.jpg

^^^ My husband took this shot this morning (for my October-month-end photos/measurements/reporting) BEFORE my DEXA.

That "trunk" is 28.6% bodyfat.

I'll take it...
  • ksuh999
    ksuh999 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Find a place that has an InBody machine. Dexa is questionable for females.
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    great job!!! so happy for you i need to get my butt to the gym.
  • rogerbosch
    rogerbosch Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    That's why I'm joining you as from tomorrow...Ive heard enough of people telling me I will look like a man while I'm fat like an elephant.
    Welcome aboard!
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    You look great! You progress is amazing! Don't get hung up by the numbers!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Thanks! someone reminded me that, if a MAN had gotten those DEXA results, he'd have thought "callibration is obviously OFF", tossed them away, and gotten on with his day....

So, yes, there's something WRONG with me INTERNALIZING what really is "static data". (Just like the scale right? Is 150 lbs "overweight"?? Well, I guess that depends on if you are 6' tall or you are 5' tall, right?)

Anyway, thanks for the support - I remain happy with my progress. I acknowledge there's more 'work' to do (I've never said otherwise!). And I'm happy to carry on with:

1. eating at a calorie-deficit to lose bodyfat; and
    2. lifting heavy things to change bodyshape.

The end.
  • QuirkyD
    QuirkyD Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing! Super inspired. Please--what does the acronym mean in the description of your workout?
  • lrdavenport23
    lrdavenport23 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Wow!! Great Job!! You look awesome!!
  • mousemom18
    mousemom18 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I AM 32.7% BODYFAT!

Ugggghhhhh.

5' 8 3/4" this morning and 146.6 lbs on the DEXA scale stuff.

And, yep, I am 32.7% BODYFAT - even my *lean* torso is not that f*cking lean - 28.6%. Each leg is 40%.

Sooooooooooo, I was HOPING I wasn't "30%" - for 2+ YEARS I've been aiming for "20%". And, in fact, I am 32.7% BODYFAT.

I am feeling AWFUL about myself right now - will perk up tomorrow (I also had my flu shot, today).

Unbelievable how DELUSIONAL I have been.

Also, totally UNBELIEVABLE what the "naked eye" sees, compared to a DEXA. Just sayin'....

(Can you IMAGINE what percentage I was at in my "before" photo??? Must have been close to 50-friggin'-per cent bodyfat!!"

Huh? What the h*ll are you beating yourself up for? Who cares what some stupid machine says.

The most important things are 1) you look great in clothes and 2) you look great naked. (hey - I'm shallow!)

You have done a lot of great work to get to where you are. What does a machine know about that??

I got measured by a bf measuring machine back in March. I was (at the time) 5'7" and 148 lbs. And it came back with 24.5% BF.

Get back to the gym and lift something. You'll feel better.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Quirky - which acronym are you specifically referring to....I recognize I use a lot (too many?) of 'em!

mousemom18 - I appreciate that thoughts. I have now firmly moved off a "bodyfat % #" as my "goal" and am working to put good systems in place - and focus on the systems.

I really do want to focus on inputs (i.e. what I am eating and what exercises I am doing) and leave the outputs alone - but it takes practice! I'm not perfect...
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options
    Great transformation.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    On the left-hand side is me, after 25+ YEARS as a cardio-gym rat.

Yes, I still do SOME cardio, but my exercise-focus is on lifting heavy free weights.
    Same experience here. Even my first two months of barbell training did far more than years and years of cardio ever did.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!