Achieved Goal, feeling dissappointed

Options

Replies

• angie007az
    angie007az Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    It may take a while for your skin to adjust to the new you.
  • wjniii
    wjniii Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I kind of had this but then I directed my energies into my fitness level and seeing all I could now do with my "new" body. I learned, at this weight, I could do a lot of very enjoyable things (yoga, biking etc...) at a level I could not do before. This has become my motivation for maintaining my weight and gotten me away from how I "look" to what I can "do". By the way, doing all these new fitness things is bringing me the "look" I want without obsessing over it. Funny how that works. Best of luck and congratulations!
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    maybe switch the focus a bit. try some healthy exercise you have always wanted to be good at. for me, when i reach goal, i want to start ballet classes. : )

If you start ballet now, it can be healthy exercise sooner rather than later. Dance is wonderful for reasons beyond exercise too.
  • Annerk1
    Annerk1 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your support.

*sigh* weight training. I just can't seem to wrap my head around it.

1. I can't afford a gym membership right now.
    2. tiny little house, so no place to put a home gym
    3. the above two are my favorite excuses to use to deflect the fact that I don't like the idea of weight training! :wink:

I have 2lbs and 5lbs weights at home that I use irregularity...yes I know that won't cut it. I was thinking about Pilates or yoga in the new year.

I guess it's more about learning not to compare myself to other thinner people and learning to be happy with who I am...but is that settling? Should I always push myself? I agree, maybe I need to stop looking at the number now, I'll redo my measurements and I'll work at strengthening my core, and strengthening my mind.

You do NOT need to lift. Strength training comes in many forms, and includes pilates and yoga. For the cost of a mat, bands, and an exercise ball you can strength train. We're talking under $50 for items that will last with daily use for 2-5 years before needing replacement. Borrow DVD's from the library.

Spend 30 minutes a day in a core-centric yoga practice and in six months your abs will be amazing.
  • GoRun2
    GoRun2 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Appreciate how far you have come by taking before and after pics. If you don't have any before, take a pic of you in your old cllothes.

I reached my first goal and wasn't quite happy so lost another 5. I'm happy with the weight now.

Take up running, it's cheap and fun. You still have to strength train in between runs.
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    It's normal to feel this way-the day I hit my original goal weight it was a huge let down. I still had problem areas and I didn't all of a sudden feel any better about myself. I think many of us believe that once we hit goal, then everything magically changes and we'll look like VS models :laugh: Reality is we now have sagging skin, still have lumps and on top of that we now don't have a clue what comes next.

For me personally, I had to lose almost 20lbs more than my initial goal weight, start exercising (started walking the week I hit goal and now I walk, run and do some strength exercises), plus give my body several months to adjust, before I finally came to the point where I'm very happy with how I look, with and without clothes. Hitting goal is just one step in this process and now the next phase will start for you :smile:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options

3. the above two are my favorite excuses to use to deflect the fact that I don't like the idea of weight training! :wink:

I have 2lbs and 5lbs weights at home that I use irregularity...yes I know that won't cut it. I was thinking about Pilates or yoga in the new year.

I guess it's more about learning not to compare myself to other thinner people and learning to be happy with who I am...but is that settling? Should I always push myself? I agree, maybe I need to stop looking at the number now, I'll redo my measurements and I'll work at strengthening my core, and strengthening my mind.

you don't necessarily need weights...it's the most efficient way to resistance train, but you can do a lot with body weight and even just some resistance bands. Look into programs like, "You Are Your Own Gym" or "Convict Conditioning".

Also, take a look see here for some ideas...

http://www.nerdfitness.com/about-2/

nerdfitness has some great ideas for body weight stuff as well. The key is to provide resistance to all of the muscles in your body...over time, this will change the composition and re-shape your body.
  • summer8it
    summer8it Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    It took me a while to get out of the "I need to lose more weight" mindset, too. I think it's a pretty normal response to the start of maintenance, but it passes.

I've seen amazing changes in my body from strength training. I started with 5# dumbbells and a book on dumbbell exercises that I checked out of the library ("101 Ways to Work Out with Weights") and then got a 40# set of adjustable dumbbells. I was able to store all my workout equipment under a side table in my living room, and do my workouts while watching TV!

Gym memberships come at a lot of price points, too. Personally, I like working out at home (and have rearranged my space to make room for a real weight bench), but there are lots of other options. Many community centers have weight rooms, and gym memberships for no-frills places can be as little as $10 a month. Some universities and community colleges offer low-cost memberships to use their gym facilities, or perhaps you have a friend who lives in a housing community with a weight room who would like a workout buddy. Many health insurance plans also offer discounts on gym memberships, too. If you want to make it happen, you can.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options

Get a set of TRX bands and do body weight work with them at home. It will KICK YOUR BUTT.

I know that many women do not like the idea of weight training...honestly, 2 years ago I would have laughed if you told me that I would be doing strength training 4-5x per week. I will tell you, I feel totally bad *kitten* when I am squatting with 95lbs on my collarbone, or 140lbs on my back. Seeing the look on the boys faces as I am loading multiple 45lb plates on the leg press makes me smile.

You won't get all bulky (unless you want to) picking up heavy things. I promise you!
  • allicat1215
    allicat1215 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm not feeling disappointed, but I can definitely relate. I'm so close to meeting my goal (116, weighed 117.2 this morning), but I just know I'm not going to be completely happy when I get there. I now want to adjust my goal to 110. This puts me at the very bottom of the BMI chart for my height (5'4) but I just want to be thinner. I'm not starving myself, eating healthy and working out, so I don't see the harm in losing more. Below 108 is considered underweight for my height. I'm still happy with how far I've come and you should be so proud of yourself!
  • jmzz1
    jmzz1 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Bump for morr bodyweight sites
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    I felt the same way until I was at the gym today sitting on the AB X machine. I was watching a guy use a jump rope and from the corner of my eye it looked like someone was staring at me. To myself I said "what's that skinny b*tch staring at?" It was the wall mirror! I was looking at myself from another angle lol!
  • deepuckett1
    deepuckett1 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! You are awesome.

I find that maintaining is just as challenging as losing. If you need a goal, build it around maintenance.

Good Luck!
  • Siansonea
    Siansonea Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    I think once I'm in body composition mode, I'll do yoga. I like yoga because your own body is the "weight" you "lift". And you can do it almost anywhere. I just need to learn all the moves and whatnot.
  • bass_girl09
    bass_girl09 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Some dumbbells and resistance bands can go a long way. You might also want to check fitness blender for some that use body weight too!
  • PaLanteChica
    Options
    First off: you've done an amazing job and should be totally proud of yourself! I understand where you are coming from though; at one point I was maybe 20-25 lbs from goal and I let myself go. Stress, depression and all that factored in, but the main thing that I dealt with was the fact that I hadn't accepted myself at any level so I still didn't see what I had already accomplished, but rather what I hadn't. I kept seeing all the bad and even though I had lost 80+ lbs I still saw that girl that was "obese" instead of the new girl that had busted her butt and was "this" close to goal. Take it from me; look back at your journey with pride and focus on all that you have accomplished! You are awesome! :)
  • CoolHandSmouche
    Options
    First of all - congratulations on reaching your goal, that's brilliant to hear!

Sometimes it's easy to get "target fixation" when dealing with change, particularly something as personal as the ones we all work towards on MFP.

Remember, your expectations will have shifted during your "journey". Don't, however, judge your current achievement based upon your recalibrated expectations! Take a step back, look at where you started and where you are now....remind yourself its good to feel proud of your achievement!

Use your new expectations - they'll enable you set new goals that will push you towards reaching whatever your ultimate (and realistic!) destination might be.
  • tasharock
    tasharock Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Bump for ideas!
  • mcdebbie
    mcdebbie Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    Laurabrown66, thank you so much for your post! I was reading your reply and thinking no way I can go to the gym at my age and then saw YOUR age and my mouth dropped. Thanks for the words of encouragement.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Yeah, that skin under the chin is a bummer, isn't it?

Good news! Your body keeps changing in maintenance. My weight doesn't change any more, but I'm getting more muscle and the fat must be disappearing because I'm getting bonier and bonier. All the lose skin is disappearing. And moisturizer is your friend.

Work on fitness. The inches and the lose skin will go. The healthier body will stay.