Living with an unhealthy eater

Options

Replies

• mrserika721
    Options
    oh man I hear you there sistah! My husband is the same! He could stand to lose a few pounds too, but thats up to him. I need to take ownership of my goals and not expect anyone to help me or keep me from meeting those goals. Its up to me, day-in and day-out to make the choices that are right for me. With my husband its hard because he always wants burgers and fries, or fried chicken or pizza or pasta and its all delicious but not quite what I should be eating on a regular basis if I'm trying to cut down on my calorie intake. I think I need to just tell him to cook his own food and I'll make my own and we can still eat together, just be eating different dinners. That way he is happy and I am happy and maybe, just maybe, he'll see me lose weight and then want to make healthier choices when he eats too! You can't make anyone do something they dont want to do, but you can show them the benefits by demonstrating in your own behavior.

Plus I've just realized the only way Im going to get a workout in and feel good (not guilty with every bite I put in my mouth throughout the day) is if I work out in the morning. 30 - 45 min in the morning is all it takes! Do that, and you can afford to eat pizza with your man every now and then!
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    I am shocked at how many people are having visceral reactions to my desire to eliminate junk foods from my home. This speaks to the disordered way we deal with health and food in our society.

My husband is fully on board with clean eating. We occasionally indulge in sweets out of the house. Hell there are 4 (yes FOUR!) fast food places across the street from our apartments. There are dozens more within a 2 mile radius as we live in a dense urban area. Getting some sugary treats is not complicated or difficult or inconvenient. Burgerville isn't going to cut me off if I should want to spend my money there (or dairy queen or Baskin Robbins or Starbucks or Shair's Pies or...well you get the idea).

I choose to make my home a sanctuary of health. Here I can relax and enjoy the plethora of foods that won't kill me. It is not necessary for me to load up on chemical, gmo, HFCS, transfat laden foods in my own home.

I also don't let people use illicit drugs in my home (family included) or smoke cigarettes or other tobacco products. I also don't permit racial slurs be used within our walls.

Shocked! I am SHOCKED!

g600616996.gif
  • SchroederNJ
    SchroederNJ Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Food shop for the week and then plan to cook meals at home .... also don't eat at work unless you bring it from home --- i keep protein bars in my desk in case i get some extra hunger that needs to be squashed --- better that than candy from someone's desk jar
  • LiminalAscendance
    LiminalAscendance Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I am shocked at how many people are having visceral reactions to my desire to eliminate junk foods from my home. This speaks to the disordered way we deal with health and food in our society.

My husband is fully on board with clean eating. We occasionally indulge in sweets out of the house. Hell there are 4 (yes FOUR!) fast food places across the street from our apartments. There are dozens more within a 2 mile radius as we live in a dense urban area. Getting some sugary treats is not complicated or difficult or inconvenient. Burgerville isn't going to cut me off if I should want to spend my money there (or dairy queen or Baskin Robbins or Starbucks or Shair's Pies or...well you get the idea).

I choose to make my home a sanctuary of health. Here I can relax and enjoy the plethora of foods that won't kill me. It is not necessary for me to load up on chemical, gmo, HFCS, transfat laden foods in my own home.

I also don't let people use illicit drugs in my home (family included) or smoke cigarettes or other tobacco products. I also don't permit racial slurs be used within our walls.

I say each to their own, but as someone who doesn't buy into the concept of clean eating (it's not for me, I'd prefer to be balanced between whats good for me, whats handy and what I like but as I say each to their own and I do see the appeal)

I *am* a little offended that you liken that to drug use, smoking and racism. It's absolutely not the same. Not at all.I think that view is far too black and white, and there is a lot of grey here for most of us. I'm grey here - i'm not a druggie or a racist or a smoker, but I like the odd 'dirty' food.

I don't think the categorisation helps your case - and it's one of the reason 'clean' eaters do get attacked on here - that superiority.

I wonder where you come down on the whole "food addict" thing.

Were you here when there were many individuals that stated that being "addicted" to food is the same thing as narcotics? (yes, absolutely!)
  • nytrifisoul
    nytrifisoul Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I think it's absolutely ridiculous that someone mentions that she doesn't let her husband keep junk in the house, and in another comment specifically mentions that if she's alone she will binge eat (which is actually considered an eating disorder), and instead of being shown love and support she is ripped a new a-hole. Instead of people talking to her and trying to encourage her to find a happy medium she is torn into and ridiculed because she made a choice in her house (that her husband is obviously okay with because he supports her, not because he's whipped) that helped her with the binge-eating problem she was having. People make comments about how she must not have children, or how her husband will end up being fat when she already said that he is now eating healthier. How absolutely demeaning and presumptuous is that?

I'm absolutely put off by the comments in this thread and am shocked at the lack of love and support. We are all here together to help reach our goals and help our lives be better. It's not about keeping a perfect public diary so that everyone can bask in your ability to stay disciplined. It's about supporting each other -- something I'm seeing a HUGE lack of in this post.

Its how she posted how demanding she is and her word is final that most likely caused the backlash.
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options

I say each to their own, but as someone who doesn't buy into the concept of clean eating (it's not for me, I'd prefer to be balanced between whats good for me, whats handy and what I like but as I say each to their own and I do see the appeal)

I *am* a little offended that you liken that to drug use, smoking and racism. It's absolutely not the same. Not at all.I think that view is far too black and white, and there is a lot of grey here for most of us. I'm grey here - i'm not a druggie or a racist or a smoker, but I like the odd 'dirty' food.

I don't think the categorisation helps your case - and it's one of the reason 'clean' eaters do get attacked on here - that superiority.

Were you here when there were many individuals that stated that being "addicted" to food is the same thing as narcotics? (yes, absolutely!)

food addiction and clean eating vs 'dirty' (hate that term, I'd prefer to call it 'normal' but it's not normal for everyone) are NOT the same argument and it's ridiculous to claim that they are.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    I think it's absolutely ridiculous that someone mentions that she doesn't let her husband keep junk in the house, and in another comment specifically mentions that if she's alone she will binge eat (which is actually considered an eating disorder), and instead of being shown love and support she is ripped a new a-hole. Instead of people talking to her and trying to encourage her to find a happy medium she is torn into and ridiculed because she made a choice in her house (that her husband is obviously okay with because he supports her, not because he's whipped) that helped her with the binge-eating problem she was having. People make comments about how she must not have children, or how her husband will end up being fat when she already said that he is now eating healthier. How absolutely demeaning and presumptuous is that?

I'm absolutely put off by the comments in this thread and am shocked at the lack of love and support. We are all here together to help reach our goals and help our lives be better. It's not about keeping a perfect public diary so that everyone can bask in your ability to stay disciplined. It's about supporting each other -- something I'm seeing a HUGE lack of in this post.

How absolutely demanding and presumptuous are her house rules? PP never expressed any concern over her lack of will power, but instead likens it to alcoholism. She simply cannot exert any willpower over herself whatsoever, and it is all the junk food's fault. Or her husband's for leaving it in the house.

Sorry, I don't enable.
  • Briargrey
    Briargrey Posts: 498 Member
    Options

It's not your desire to eliminate foods from your home. It's your desire to force others to do it. if your husband also agrees and also wants it, that's great, but I'm pretty sure you started off all "I am woman, hear me roarz, that man don't get none here" and THAT is the biggest issue. If you've come to it together - then, meh, to each their own. I'm more of a moderation sort, but I do lean toward trying to have more fresh fruits and vegetables in the home. But, if the husband wants doughnuts, that's his choice and he can - why? because he's an adult. Just because I don't want one, doesn't mean he can't bring them in the house.

Illicit/illegal drugs are really quite different than foods. And smoke can add odor and do damage that way. So they aren't actually equivalent comparisons at all.

And really - did you just compare banning certain foods to banning racial slurs?

There really are no words for that one.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I think it's absolutely ridiculous that someone mentions that she doesn't let her husband keep junk in the house, and in another comment specifically mentions that if she's alone she will binge eat (which is actually considered an eating disorder), and instead of being shown love and support she is ripped a new a-hole.

The idea of a woman "not letting" her husband do anything is pretty bad.

When "I don't let my husband keep cake in the house" becomes "I literally throw away my husband's cake after he asks me not to" is when the line has been crossed to crazytown.

That is simply unacceptable behavior.
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options

The lovely miss Bloom has said it better than I could, so to you... I'm just going to say.
    tumblr_lnkmckaEM61qafrh6.png
    Also... More shock!!

SHOCKED!
    tumblr_mbgiklIXIK1riqizno1_400.gif
  • LiminalAscendance
    LiminalAscendance Posts: 489 Member
    Options

food addiction and clean eating vs 'dirty' (hate that term, I'd prefer to call it 'normal' but it's not normal for everyone) are NOT the same argument and it's ridiculous to claim that they are.

If food "addiction" is possible (hence my previous comment), someone throwing away a cake due to their addiction is not a "clean" vs. "dirty" eating scenario (regardless of how you try to spin it).

Note: This is not to imply that is what the poster is claiming occurred in this instance.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options

Eh, I feel like people are really not giving your husband enough credit here. I assume he is a strong, confident adult male who could also "put his foot down" if necessary and this is KIND OF a joint choice. I could be wrong, but that's what I'd assume. I don't know too many men who would just say "oh I'm so sad wifey won't let me have my Oreos, I'm just gonna sit here and cry and never eat them even at work or when I'm away from her...or she will divorce me".

Nah. I don't think he's probably thinking that.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    I choose to make my home a sanctuary of health.

To hell with what your husband wants! It's YOUR HOME, and if he breaks any rules you will throw his stuff in the dumpster!
  • trudijoy
    Options

If food "addiction" is possible (hence my previous comment), someone throwing away a cake due to their addiction is not a "clean" vs. "dirty" eating scenario (regardless of whether that's how you try to spin it).

Note: This is not to imply that is what the poster is claiming occurred in this instance.

The posters claims about 'I choose to make my home a sanctuary of health' etc and citation that her hubby supports clean eating, then goes on to slate everyone who isn't clean eating as being likened to drug users and racists is what i'm reacting to.

Food addiction doesn't enter into it there.

Food addiction I've seen people have and that's different. But still, throwing away someone elses portion of your 'poison' isn't really what I'd call reasonable behaviour.
  • mikeykhan2003
    Options
    I would definitely like to see a bit more genuine compassion in most of the posts around here, but honestly first and foremost this entire site is about accountability. Allowing this tread to pass without remark is tacit approval that as a community, we support someone attempting to control the behavior of everyone around them, and their environment at all times vs.the accountability of their own actions.It's fundamentally against the entire concept of long term success.

I'm not trying to be an *kitten*, or even trying for tough love... this IS compassion, if poorly presented.

She will NEVER control her surroundings and the people around her long term; supporting someone who predicates their long term success on such a behavior is a very, very special kind of cruelty.
  • MakaylaRae4
    Options
    My boyfriend does the same thing, despite being totally supportive of my weight loss goals. He doesn't need to lose any weight, and even if he did, I wouldn't expect him to change his ways. Some people are just like that.

What I do is simply give him a spot to put all of his junk food items that's out of the way, like a specific cupboard or a corner on the counter, and make him put away the pizza/donuts/fried chicken so that they're not just lying about. If I look into the fridge and I see a pizza box, but then I see my healthy foods next to it, I feel a lot less tempted to grab the pizza.

Over this summer, he and I worked similar hours at the same place and we took lunch together often. I always packed myself a healthy lunch, but he'd conveniently "forget" to pack a lunch and would insist that he needed to go to McDonald's to get food. When this would happen, I'd simply be sure to eat my lunch ahead of time so I'm not hungry anymore and follow him so he could get his greasy, fattening food. He'd sometimes insist that I get something too, so he's not the only one eating, in which case I'd get a bottle of water or something small and relatively not fattening.

It can be a challenge, but you can do it! Just moving things out of your immediate site or eating before he insists on going somewhere unhealthy can do a lot for you to keep you determined and away from bad foods. Good luck!
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options

It's not your desire to eliminate foods from your home. It's your desire to force others to do it. if your husband also agrees and also wants it, that's great, but I'm pretty sure you started off all "I am woman, hear me roarz, that man don't get none here" and THAT is the biggest issue. If you've come to it together - then, meh, to each their own. I'm more of a moderation sort, but I do lean toward trying to have more fresh fruits and vegetables in the home. But, if the husband wants doughnuts, that's his choice and he can - why? because he's an adult. Just because I don't want one, doesn't mean he can't bring them in the house.

Illicit/illegal drugs are really quite different than foods. And smoke can add odor and do damage that way. So they aren't actually equivalent comparisons at all.

And really - did you just compare banning certain foods to banning racial slurs?

There really are no words for that one.

Well, to be fair, I think she just mentioned those other dictates of hers to further illustrate her control issues for us.

I (for one) am extremely grateful.
  • CoolHandSmouche
    Options
    The only thing you can change is yourself - it sounds trite, but it's true!

My friends eat what they want when we go out, and it doesn't bother me now...but it takes time to form a habit. I used to get "dessert envy" but I just had to remind myself that I had a goal, that I could eat a huge dessert if I wanted but I was choosing not to.

I found that calorie logging, via the MFP app, really helped curb my sugar cravings...scanning something and seeing it take me over my goal was a real motivator to not eat it!

At the end of the day, it's about choice.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Last year we ended up with a lot of leftover cake after a graduation celebration. It was a full sheet cake, so it was huge and I couldn't resist it. I pleaded with my husband to throw it away while we were cleaning up after the party. He refused. I kept going back to that damn cake. By the next day I took it upon myself to toss it in the nearest dumpster.
    Only a real d!ck would light up in front of their friend despite their request not to.

So what you're saying about your husband is...........
  • trudijoy
    Options
    The only thing you can change is yourself - it sounds trite, but it's true!

My friends eat what they want when we go out, and it doesn't bother me now...but it takes time to form a habit. I used to get "dessert envy" but I just had to remind myself that I had a goal, that I could eat a huge dessert if I wanted but I was choosing not to.

I found that calorie logging, via the MFP app, really helped curb my sugar cravings...scanning something and seeing it take me over my goal was a real motivator to not eat it!

At the end of the day, it's about choice.

and self control. I don't believe that people have no self control. I believe that everyone has it but it's too hard for some to apply at first so they give up.