Any way to lose fat on legs but NOT gain muscle?

Options

Replies

• TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Question - Why can't you gain muscle while eating at a deficit??

Hmm I eat a deficiency and have gained muscle not like massive or even a lot, but have gained some.

1467383_536788206417297_1242508763_n.jpg
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options

Hmm I eat a deficiency and have gained muscle not like massive or even a lot, but have gained some.

You've lost a significant amount of weight. How do you know you haven't simply lost the fat covering that muscle?

It isn't a significant amount of change but was already close to my goal weight in the first photo. . I know I've gained some muscle.

2jciute.jpg
  • RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    Good job
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

It isn't a significant amount of change but was already close to my goal weight in the first photo. . I know I've gained some muscle.

2jciute.jpg

you look terrific and should definitely be very proud of your accomplishments......but these photos most decidedly do not show an increase in muscle. i'm not going to say 100% that there wasn't possibly a slight increase, but these photos certainly don't show that there was a gain.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

you maybe stronger- and leaner and more defined- but I'm not seeing a whole lot of what I could consider muscle growth.
    You might be a scientific and genetic freak then LOL

is this the first time you started weight training? newb gains account for a bit of what appears to be a growth pattern that defies science- but it's not.. it's newb gains.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    sacrifice a goat to "spoticus reductionitus" repeat daily until spot reduction succeeds.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

you maybe stronger- and leaner and more defined- but I'm not seeing a whole lot of what I could consider muscle growth.
    You might be a scientific and genetic freak then LOL

is this the first time you started weight training? newb gains account for a bit of what appears to be a growth pattern that defies science- but it's not.. it's newb gains.

you lost body fat and appear more lean which makes your existing muscles pop more..

You may have experienced some newbie gains but that would have been short lived..

unless you just defy the basic laws of math and science...
  • rosettafaery
    rosettafaery Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Muscle ftw :happy:
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    What? Why?
  • Humbugsftw
    Humbugsftw Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I walk at least an hour a day. My legs are now the size of Ronnie Coleman's.
    I also accidentally held some 2kg dumbbells and now my arms are 16''. :(
    #bulkwhilstwalking #womenwholiftarebulkyburlymonsterswhoshouldbelockedup #****squatsandbench
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

Muscle growth require protein synthesis in excess of protein breakdown.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11255140

That is referring to a protein deficiency not a calorie deficit. Not the same thing at all.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    #bulkwhilstwalking #womenwholiftarebulkyburlymonsterswhoshouldbelockedup #****squatsandbench

Can I have those DB's please?

Mine aren't doing it for me :( sad panda face
  • smc864
    smc864 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    First of all, some ppl gain muscle mass very easily, and not the trim and slim kind. I have struggled with that all my life. Body builders may like this but women in general do not. Cardio such as running or aerobics is the best way to trim down the fat on your legs while not bulking up. Add a little bit of toning exercises like leg lifts (no weight added) and this will tighten the already existing muscle making you smaller. Just don't overdo these types of exercises or ever add any weight as it will bulk you up almost immediately if you have this body type. Squats are NOT what you want to do. They will bulk you up if you already have a tendency toward large legs. Try not to eat too much protein either or this can add more muscle when mixed with exercise. Eat less fats, and try to stick with more veggies and lean proteins like chicken and fish, hummus dip, etc. Good luck!

Oh. My. God. Literally every misconception this half of the 21st century has been included in your post... well, you left out starvation mode, so maybe not all.

Women do not have the hormonal means to "bulk up". Period.
    Leg lifts are useless. Period.
    While eating on a caloric deficit you will not "bulk up". Period.
    Restricting protein is a horrendous idea. Low fat, low protein... the 90's are calling and they want their crash diet back.

OP, you most likely have much more fat on your legs than you realize. By losing muscle you may decrease the size, but definitely NOT improve the appearance. Lift weights. Do squats. Eat at a caloric deficit. Loss fat. Please for the love of God, do not attempt to lose muscle. While on a caloric deficit the best you can hope for is to maintain the muscle you have and that will NOT happen with walking alone.
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options
    Calorie Deficit
    Cardio
    Patience
    1710_01.gif
  • Humbugsftw
    Options

Can I have those DB's please?

Mine aren't doing it for me :( sad panda face

I would walk to the post office and deliver them, but if I walk any more I'll rip the last pair of trousers I have which I haven't ripped from my insane quads and hamstrings. I'll have to end up walking around like a naked bulky huge beast :( #swoleproblems
  • JoRocka
    Options

I would walk to the post office and deliver them, but if I walk any more I'll rip the last pair of trousers I have which I haven't ripped from my insane quads and hamstrings. I'll have to end up walking around like a naked bulky huge beast :( #swoleproblems

herm- maybe if you just walked really slowly?

or backwards!!! that should do it.

#can'tgainon5000caloriesuprlusproblems
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

That is referring to a protein deficiency not a calorie deficit. Not the same thing at all.

You're not going to have enough protein in a deficit.
  • Dmkolls
    Dmkolls Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Trust me, you are not gaining muscle on your legs from walking.
    This. If anything, you're losing it.
    This. If you want to lose the fat but not gain any muscle (and of course not lose much either) eat a small calorie deficit and lift heavy.

This. This. and This.
  • Humbugsftw
    Options
    herm- maybe if you just walked really slowly?

or backwards!!! that should do it.

#can'tgainon5000caloriesuprlusproblems

If I walk backwards I'll lose my gains. That's how it works, right?
    #builtlikeatank
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

You're not going to have enough protein in a deficit.
    Wut? Sweeping generalisation. A deficit doesn't mean a huge deficit.