5'7" goal weight?

Options

Replies

• DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    Like everyone else says, it depends on how you carry your weight. When I was 26, after my first child, I was at my lowest adult weight of 136. I carry my weight in my midsection and upper body, and have always been naturally more muscular than average, so I carry about 10 pounds more than I look. At 136 I had a 27 inch waist, and 32 inch hips, and a 36D bust.
    I doubt I could have gotten much slimmer. I had no areas of visible extra body fat. I got into weight lifting soon after my second child, and was about the same size in clothes at 150 with muscles as I was at 136.

Oh how I would love to be that weight again, but now, at 50, I will be thrilled to hit 155.
  • goodnamegone
    Options
    155 is a realistic and gorgeous weight for that height.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    Healthy BMI is 135-158 at 5'7" (roughly) so you would be at the low end of a healthy weight.

"Normal" BMI for 5'7", according to the NIH, is 118-159 lbs.

I am 5'7", 43 years old, and my goal weight is 128 lbs. I have a medium-to-large-boned (broad hips and shoulders, even when skinny) athletic build--I build muscle very easily. I was down to 134 in the spring (135 was my original goal), but we had a very chaotic house sale/relocation and I put 10 lbs back on due to lack of discipline. At 134 I still had some problems areas that were a bit flabbier than I would have liked. I've been as low as 118 (back in my 20's) and I know that this is too skinny for me because it was literally painful. Everyone tells me I look fine where I am now, but I'm not happy with me. I guess this is how body dysmorphic disorders are born, huh?

That being said, everyone is different. Take into account what everyone has said here, and set yourself a reasonable goal. As you get closer to attaining it, reevaluate.
  • goodnamegone
    Options
    5'7" & my goal weight is somewhere between 115-118. Right now I'm 124 with more muscle than I used to have when I ~was~ in the 118 range, so my size is okay. At 130, I definitely looked...uh....let's say NOT as good as I could, haha. So it's definitely your build, where you carry weight, etc.

That's about what I weighed when I had anorexia in my early 20's. 115 pounds is less than what catwalk models in Europe weigh.

People make comments about how we carry our weight but when I weighed 115 I got facial hair and stopped menstruating, I am 5 foot 7.

Also when we get older (a dietician told me this) we weigh more on the scales because of changes in our bodies, something to do with our tissues I don't remember her exact reason but she said that I ought not to try to weigh the same as when I was a younger woman. So to aim for a higher goal weight would look just as good as aiming to weigh what I did in my 20's.

No doubt this comment will annoy some people but oh well...
  • dinizgj
    dinizgj Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My doctor and trainer said it varies by frame and you should target 21%-24% body fat for fitness, 25%-31% for general health. If you're a petite frame, that could be 125 lbs. If you're a more athletic frame, that could be 155 lbs. They also said body fat is different from BMI, which is much more generic but also a good general guideline.

If you can get a scale that tests body fat (I have the FitBit scale and it does and is pretty accurate), it can help you target the right body fat percentage for your frame and you can set your goal based on that. For example, at 183 lbs at 5'6, I'm 45% body fat because I have a relatively petite frame. At about the same height and weight, my friend is nearer 35%.

In contrast to body fat percentage, according to the CDC my current BMI is 29.6, which is "overweight." http://www.cdc.gov/healthyweight/assessing/bmi/adult_BMI - sharing that to see how different the numbers are.

Caveat - I'm no expert. Learning while doing. But, hope that helps!
  • donthesitate
    donthesitate Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    It definitely depends on frame size/how u carry it etc, id love to be 135, but I dont think I could get there without looking scary and having my face sunkin in:ohwell: tentative goal is 145ish, we'll see when I get there
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    5'7" & my goal weight is somewhere between 115-118. Right now I'm 124 with more muscle than I used to have when I ~was~ in the 118 range, so my size is okay. At 130, I definitely looked...uh....let's say NOT as good as I could, haha. So it's definitely your build, where you carry weight, etc.

That's about what I weighed when I had anorexia in my early 20's. So your goal weight is to be skeletal thin?

That is a bit harsh and judgmental. My daughter was 106 at 5'4" when she graduated HS and was thin, but no where near anorexic. Some people carry lower weights than others do naturally, and are still quite healthy.
  • goodnamegone
    Options
    I don't have a goal weight any more.. I changed my thought process to body composition and started heavy lifting. I can be 160lbs for all I care but if I have a solid body then I am more than OK with that :)

YES!!!
  • goodnamegone
    Options

That's about what I weighed when I had anorexia in my early 20's. So your goal weight is to be skeletal thin?

That is a bit harsh and judgmental. My daughter was 106 at 5'4" when she graduated HS and was thin, but no where near anorexic. Some people carry lower weights than others do naturally, and are still quite healthy.

Some people are naturally thin yes but was she on a diet to reach that weight? Didn't think so.

Also please note that I edited my comment immediately because I thought as soon as I had written it that it was a bit harsh and judgmental. So we can both agree on that :-)
  • lauraspberry
    lauraspberry Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    It is true when they say it depends on how you carry the weight. I'm 5'7 at 129 lbs and all my fat is in the belly so I'm working towards 120 then do strength training to gain muscle
  • sarahsmith2589
    Options
    I'm 5'7" and my goal weight is 130-135, last time I lost weight thats how much I could sustain over a long period of time.
  • MissKitty9
    MissKitty9 Posts: 224 Member
    Options

That's about what I weighed when I had anorexia in my early 20's. 115 pounds is less than what catwalk models in Europe weigh.

People make comments about how we carry our weight but when I weighed 115 I got facial hair and stopped menstruating, I am 5 foot 7.

Also when we get older (a dietician told me this) we weigh more on the scales because of changes in our bodies, something to do with our tissues I don't remember her exact reason but she said that I ought not to try to weigh the same as when I was a younger woman. So to aim for a higher goal weight would look just as good as aiming to weigh what I did in my 20's.

No doubt this comment will annoy some people but oh well...

You had anorexia at 115, okay. That doesn't mean it's an "skeletal" weight for me. I've been losing weight in a healthy manner, & will continue to do so.

I've been building muscle, so I understand that the number itself could be elusive for me now, which is fine. The post was asking about "goal weight" though. If you're against the concept (which it seems you are, judging by your some of your other posts....& also no, 155 is not ALWAYS the perfect weight for women who are 5'7"---bodies are different!) ...then don't come onto a thread like this?

I mean, sorry to be harsh in response, but we all were being super civil & agreeing that people carry their weight differently, & then you had to come cause a stir...
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    I'm 43 and weigh 126. I am very happy here and am working on building muscle and dropping fat. In fact 124 felt amazing, but am bulking for a few weeks. Feel free to view my diary and see my horse like appetite. I'm 5'7" narrow framed, 30-25-36.5 with 20" thighs and triangular wobbly butt (which is going!).

I look athletic, and curvy. I would love to up my LBM and weight without getting higher measurements. It really is different strokes for different folks! I have tons of energy, steady moods and train 5-10 hours pw. I net at 1750 calories.
  • jo_from_MO
    jo_from_MO Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7" and I find that being below 133 makes me look too skinny with no chest.
    I don't have much muscle, and I think my optimal weight would be 135-140 with lots of muscle and definition. :)
  • bubbles1212
    bubbles1212 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I will be 30 in 2 weeks, I am 5'7" and my goal is about 165-170. I look sick and malnutritioned at 135. I have a very big body naturally(big bones and big muscles). Right now, I am 182 and I feel like 15 lbs would be a great goal for me to lose. Best of luck :flowerforyou:
  • brissell
    brissell Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    You should look go by your waist measurement. Different body types carry weight must differently but, if you are losing weight to be healthy - I think your waist measurement is good to monitor....as smaller waist measurements means less risk for heart disease, diabetes and a pile of other chronic serious diseases.
    http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/fitness_articles.asp?id=776
  • brit__2006
    brit__2006 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Hi!
    I've been approximately the size of Texas for about 5 years but recently lost a bunch of weight. I'm convinced that looking "average" is attainable now! So, I'm just wondering what weight looks good on a 5'7", 20-something female!?

SW: 215lbs
    CW: 172lbs
    GW: 135lbs???

I'm 26 and 173 lbs, and the doctor said I don't need to lose anymore, but everyone is built so different. Muscle vs. fat and body frames will make a difference for sure! I have a 32''.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,659 Member
    Options
    It will come down to how much lean muscle one's body weight has, and how one's frame may be. Personally I don't think people should rely on a number based on what others may look good at. Decide on what body fat % you want to be at and know what your lean body weight is and math will help you dictate what weight should be your target.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • lovekohl
    lovekohl Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I'm also 5'7" and am a naturally curvy girl. I looked great at 150 and would look sick if I got below 140. My current goal is 160, but I'm open to changing that as I lose more weight and get to know my post baby body a little better.
  • mejese313
    Options
    I'm 5' 7" and was 150 pre-pregnancy. I thought I was fat and now that I'm 173(I was around 205 at the end of my pregnancy) I realize that I was actually skinny. I'm goal is to get back to 150 and I'll be happy. Back to 140(what I weight when I got married) and I'll be estatic!!

ETA: I loved it when I was 135 but I was in my early 20's. Not married and child-less. Things change and it would be hard to get back to that weight without killing myself...