How Do You Define "Junk Food"?

Options

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I'm one of those folks who replied about salad oil. I guess I'm just not getting why salad oil is junk. I typically use extra virgin olive oil. Not junk imho. Especially in a nice oil and vinegar recipe.
    You responded, and said that you were careful with it. I think that means you wouldn't do what i put in the example. A lot of people are not careful with it, and the example i gave of putting 250 calories of oil on a 90 calorie plate of veg is something many people do.
    So quantity makes it junk?
    I'm not buying it. A lot of people aren't careful with nuts either. Are they junk? I ADORE avocados. I'm careful with them. Does that make them junk? Being high in calories and fat? I'm not buying it.

I'm careful with nuts, peanut butter, lots of things.
    It doesn't mean I think they are junk.
  • tottie06
    tottie06 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    On another thread, i called a meal with 64% of it's calories coming from refined fat: "junk food". The meal being named was a salad doused in oil. Some people are trying to claim that is not junk food, despite the high ratio of nutritionless fiberless refined fat, to actual food. Do you think drowning a 90 calorie salad in 250 calories of oil makes it junk food?

How do you define what is "junk food"?

I think the definition of junk food is something that adds calories to your diet with little, to no, nutrients, and i think the definition includes anything toxic (loaded with food chemicals, unwanted hormones, pesticides, etc).

Websters defines it as: "food that is not good for your health because it contains high amounts of fat or sugar"

Oxford Dictionary defines it as: "food that has low nutritional value, typically produced in the form of packaged snacks needing little or no preparation."

What's your definition?

You mean like dressing that contains olive oil over your salad? I have always been told that you actually need to add a healthy fat like this for the body to absorb or use the nutrition of the salad. If not the olive oil, then a slice or two of an avocado will do the same.
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTTW2nBC3hsbGBhMI_6KW5RKBpWfAzRUoDbRbeVHCNBx5gnCzBN4w
  • Mr_Starr
    Mr_Starr Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I would say anything with added trans fat would be a junk food. The FDA is looking to label these partially hydrogenated oils as being “not recognized as safe.”

I think that in itself would indicate that some foods are indeed "junk".
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I don't really think junk food exists. You can demonize fat or sugar all you want, but in my mind, all foods have a time and a place.

[img]http://ed_wp-content_v2.s3.amazonaws.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/tumblr_mc3e841q5t1ribnwko1_500.gif[/img]

This. Even Flamin' Hot Cheetos have a few grams of protein, and calories. We can't live on "nutrients" alone. We need calories too.
  • RivenV
    Options
    I'm one of those folks who replied about salad oil. I guess I'm just not getting why salad oil is junk. I typically use extra virgin olive oil. Not junk imho. Especially in a nice oil and vinegar recipe.
    You responded, and said that you were careful with it. I think that means you wouldn't do what i put in the example. A lot of people are not careful with it, and the example i gave of putting 250 calories of oil on a 90 calorie plate of veg is something many people do.

So you advocate having a 90 calorie plate of vegetables for lunch? ... Sounds delicious and filling!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTZ2ZTNs7YqcWoP1z3zZLyw6NlDFk-xryfDFP6GSBEMrlWQy70z
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    On another thread, i called a meal with 64% of it's calories coming from refined fat: "junk food". The meal being named was a salad doused in oil. Some people are trying to claim that is not junk food, despite the high ratio of nutritionless fiberless refined fat, to actual food. Do you think drowning a 90 calorie salad in 250 calories of oil makes it junk food?

I think the definition of junk food is something that adds calories to your diet with little, to no, nutrients, and i think the definition includes anything toxic (loaded with food chemicals, unwanted hormones, pesticides, etc).

Websters defines it as: "food that is not good for your health because it contains high amounts of fat or sugar"

Oxford Dictionary defines it as: "food that has low nutritional value, typically produced in the form of packaged snacks needing little or no preparation."

What's your definition?

You mean like dressing that contains olive oil over your salad? I have always been told that you actually need to add a healthy fat like this for the body to absorb or use the nutrition of the salad. If not the olive oil, then a slice or two of an avocado will do the same.
    http://www.thekitchn.com/scientists-say-salad-isnt-as-healthy-without-salad-dressing-173220
  • Synchronicity
    Synchronicity Posts: 82 Member
    Options

What's your definition?

Why do you think oil is "junk"? Because it has a high caloric value?

Oil has a number of benefits and can be part of a healthy diet, especially if that oil is rich in polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fats. Head over to the Mayo Clinic website or WebMD for some good, basic info on healthy fats.
  • teamAmelia
    teamAmelia Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Anything that's not part of an actual main course.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    My "salad" today was 90 calories of cheese, 120 calories of dressing, 90 calories of tuna, and only 9 calories of actual vegetables (spinach). It was pretty damn good. Then I ate chips and candy. :drinker:
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    To me, junk food is whatever I eat between/after meals that isn't produce. So chips, candy, pie, cake, etc.

But I don't think junk food is bad. It's just delicious stuff that doesn't significantly add to my daily nutrient needs except calories. I had over 400 extra calories today so I had a gingerbread cookie. That's junk food, but it's not bad.
  • KnM0107
    KnM0107 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    What do you think a nutrient is?

For me it's vitamins and minerals I guess. I just don't think your body gets much out of a candy bar other than a lot of non satisfying carbs. I still eat them though...

Carbs, fats and proteins are also nutrients...
  • RivenV
    Options
    My "salad" today was 90 calories of cheese, 120 calories of dressing, 90 calories of tuna, and only 9 calories of actual vegetables (spinach). It was pretty damn good. Then I ate chips and candy. :drinker:

As far as the ratio of delicious protein and fats to vegetables go, that's my kind of salad.

I would consider eating a fruit salad, if I could have it served to me like this:
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSGL1TzVoqXjcddNMMrdgqe5VSwJhANc-B8Bw7jeSgSp9mfk462Vw
  • RivenV
    Options

What's your definition?

On a (slightly) more serious note, it's interesting to me that most of your posts that I've read are in this vein. What are you trying to prove? ... And to whom?

Please-stahp-600x600.jpg
  • KnM0107
    KnM0107 Posts: 355 Member
    Options

What's your definition?

On a (slightly) more serious note, it's interesting to me that most of your posts that I've read are in this vein. What are you trying to prove? ... And to whom?

Please-stahp-600x600.jpg

His profile explains it all...
  • allisoncook87
    allisoncook87 Posts: 160 Member
    Options

What's your definition?

Please-stahp-600x600.jpg

His profile explains it all...

LOL Yeah....
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    For me, junk food is the food in the garbage and sometimes that's not safe (provided I can get to it fast enough). When talking to other people using the term, I understand they probably mean candy, cookies, chocolate, crisps, etc.. I certainly don't count a salad drenched in oil 'junk'; more like 'delicious'.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    There is no such thing as junk food, clean food, healthy food, bad food, or good food. Food is food.

Food can be healthful, but it is a neutral component providing calories, a mixture of macronutrients, micronutrients, and sometimes antioxidants and phytochemicals.

We are omnivores I dont care if the vegans say we are herbivores and the paleos say we are carnivores. We are physiologically omnivores an optimum human diet is one that encompasses variety.

I will repeat THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS BAD FOOD. The only food we should consider junk or bad would be that it somehow was pathogenic to us or covered in feces.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    I'm fine with the dictionary definitions.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Jumps up and down and raises hand...oh I know!!

Anything that PETA and the PCRM says it is!