Moving In Together..

What is your take in moving in with your partner.without marriage...Does it lead to a marriage.or there seem to be no need to marry if you're already living together? WHATS YOUR TAKE

Replies

• littlepinkhearts
    littlepinkhearts Posts: 1,055 Member
    it can go whichever way you both decide you want it to go. Some get married, some just stay living together and some separate. Not sure what else there is.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    I think it is entirely personal decision. It depends on you and your partner, your beliefs and expectations.

I am not against living together before marriage. I personally think it is a pretty important step to get to know the other person, not necessary, but I believe valuable. I moved in with two people, one (the last) very early on in the relationship, but my expectation was always marriage. They knew that. The first one didn't work out because I learned a lot about him after moving in. The second one I married.
    Not everyone wants to marry. That's fine. Its something you have to decide within your own relationship.

From a personal and professional experience - it does not lead to marriage. There are many other deciding factors. It can be a huge legal complicator and depends a lot local laws regarding living common law. I deal frequently with people who move in together, live together even for a short time and end up in property disputes.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    My husband and I lived together for 18 months before getting married, but the intention to marry was there pretty much the entire time. It doesn't always lead to marriage, you both need to have the same plan, or else it could lead to heartbreak for the one who was hoping it would lead to more.
  • sassypants0923
    sassypants0923 Posts: 7,188 Member
    Testing it out before you buy is not a bad thing
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Testing it out before you buy is not a bad thing

This. And keep separate bank accounts.
  • 2stepscloser
    2stepscloser Posts: 2,900 Member
    I think it's totally a personal decision. My husband and I lived together before marriage but only after we were engaged. It did not make sense to be paying for two separate places when we were with each other every night.
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    It won't necessarily lead to marriage and you should be clear when communicating about your relationship expectations. It is, however, a great way to find out if you want to spend the rest of your life living with your significant other.
  • Testing it out before you buy is not a bad thing

This. And keep separate bank accounts.
  • I also think its a great Idea.If people Moved In together before getting hitched there'd be Less Divorces.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    It depends on the couple and their shared goals.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    I also think its a great Idea.If people Moved In together before getting hitched there'd be Less Divorces.
    People have been living together for years. Divorce rates aren't going down. It's a great concept, just not born out by facts.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    I also think its a great Idea.If people Moved In together before getting hitched there'd be Less Divorces.

That's not entirely true.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    I don't have a traditional view on these things. If you're ready to move in with your partner, do it. I moved in with my husband prior to marriage. I think it's important to know whether you're compatible with someone and able to live with them before you do anything like marry them.
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    It's a personal decision really! Been living with my SO for over 4 years and we aren't married not even engaged. My parents lived together for 16 years before getting married.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member

I agree, because there would be fewer people getting married. But the breakup rate would increase.
  • MissFuchsia
    MissFuchsia Posts: 526 Member
    We lived together in a rented property before getting married. We had already discussed getting married 'one day'. He proposed after living had together a year. We bought our own house when we got back from our honeymoon.

I think it depends on the couple. One of my friends feels it's put her partner off marriage as they already live together as 'man and wife'. For us I think it sped things up.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Many couples today choose to live together before they're married, some because they want to spend more time together, and others because it just makes financial sense. But can this have negative consequences once the couple does get married? In some cases, it can. According to a recent University of Denver study, couples that had lived together before getting married contemplated divorce at higher rates than couples that either moved in after getting engaged or couples that began to live together only after getting married [source: Bryner]. The study also found that couples that had cohabitated before marriage were less satisfied with their marriages than the other two groups surveyed.

One estimate shows that as many as 60 to 70 percent of couples today will cohabit before they're married [source: McCarthy]. This number includes millions of couples, compared to only about 500,000 couples who lived together pre-marriage in the 1970s [source: Wartik]. There are several explanations for the fact that couples who have lived together before marriage are more likely to consider divorce -- a phenomenon that holds up in more than one study. One theory is that cohabitating couples tend to slide into marriage because it's the convenient thing to do [source: University of Denver]. (This is the slippery slope of relationships, keeping the status quo or just "doing the next right thing". Getting married is not a conscious and deliberate decision, but rather the convenient thing to do. - my opinion). On the other hand, couples that only move in together after either getting engaged or married have made a clear commitment about living together as a couple forever. Couples that live together before marrying can also use this cohabitation period to see if the relationship has a future; however, if someone feels a relationship has to pass a trial period, that could be a bad omen.

Another reason to tie the knot before moving in? Studies show that married couples are generally happier than cohabitating couples in some ways -- they enjoy better health, more money and even more satisfying sex [source: Steinhauer].

http://curiosity.discovery.com/question/living-before-marriage-increase-divorce
  • I think the research shows that couples who don't live together before marriage are hugely less likely to get divorced.
  • Some_Watery_Tart
    Some_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,250 Member
    After my divorce, I did a lot of research on this subject. Here are my thoughts on the subject from a blog I wrote awhile back:

I think the chance of divorce has little to do with whether you live together/have sex first and more to do with your views on love and marriage. Two people who take the "love is a feeling" approach to marriage have a much high probability of divorce than two people who take the "love is an action" approach.

The "love is a feeling" view would say the spouses in a failing marriage have "fallen out of love" or "grown apart", where the "love is an action" view would say that if the marriage is failing, the spouses are "failing to love". I can see where divorce would likely be less prevalent in the second case because a failed marriage indicates deliberate personal failure by the spouses.

For spouses who are in a "love is an action" marriage, sexual compatibility and the annoyances that come with living together are viewed as small issues that can be worked through with patience, communication, and mutual respect. Character, fiscal responsibility, religious views and, of course, philosophy of marriage are usually the larger issues at hand. /blog entry

This is just my non-professional opinion. I'm certainly not addressing marriages that fail due to addiction, abuse or adultery. Those are an entirely different story.
  • 33Freya
    33Freya Posts: 468 Member
    you don't really know somebody until you live with them for a while. I made the mistake of marrying a man and letting him move into my placebefore I discovered that he was a con man. One financial ruin and divorce later, I won't marry anybody unless I've lived with them for at least a year. I'm living with one right now and we may never get married I don't know. We don't plan to have children though so I think it goes either way.