Who'se looking forward to the January newbies???

Options

Replies

• MstngSammy
    MstngSammy Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I can't wait for them to line up at the treadmills, spend 15 minutes trying to figure out how to program it, then walk for 10 minutes....

Hey, I was that person once!

I still don't know how to program them lol
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options
    As long as they're friendly, I'm happy to meet them. I find them to be succulent and tasty!
  • elliexxgeorge
    Options
    In one short month, we are going to be inundated with new people. Do you think your friends list will grow?

Didn't you joined January 2013?? :tongue:

If you can do it - anyone can lol
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    In one short month, we are going to be inundated with new people. Do you think your friends list will grow?

I enjoy meeting new people so maybe just a bit.
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options

I can't wait for the plethora of threads on things people can readily look up, and then I especially look forward to the "You guys are mean" threads.
  • smaihlee
    smaihlee Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I think it's not only due to it being pounded in our heads for years, but also because there are a lot of new opportunities that come available in January--challenges, competitions, classes, etc.

I eased into my transformation over a period of a few months and joined MFP a little over a year ago. I didn't get serious about exercise and logging until January. Saw a "boot camp" class advertised at the gym and decided it was as good a time as any to get my *kitten* in gear.

Our first week of boot camp, there were enough people to stretch almost all the way around the gym. By the end of the 8-week class, we were down to half that number. I've signed up for every 4-6 week series since then and we've had as few as 3 people in a class.

I was a newbie once and I've posted some things in the past that probably got eye rolls. I truly appreciate all the things I've learned here since then. If everyone came into this knowing everything, we wouldn't need this site--would we?
  • Cskinner2
    Cskinner2 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Everyone starts somewhere, the key is if they actually stick to it
  • thekyleo
    thekyleo Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Probably not.

Only because it's not growing now since 99% of request's don't contain messages, as I would prefer, and I rarely accept requests that don't have them.

Yeah, I'm one of those people :smile:

BOOSH!!
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    inb4...

...two thousand more "what counts as water?" threads!
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    Being a newbie myself I can't say I have any feeling about it one way or the other; I'd love to have more friends, but if they are going to be active for a week and then disappear, no thanks. I'm in this for the long haul this time.
    This is how I feel. I did start in January 2011 (not as a resolution) , lost 50lbs, gained some back, and have been here ever since. Even if the gym, if people start and stick with it, that's awesome. But it's obnoxious when people crowd the gym for a week or two just to give up when they get bored... Or come on here and post thread that you can find in plenty by using the search function, and then give up when they don't lose 5 pounds a week.
  • rustyguy
    rustyguy Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Given how many people need to get fit and lose some weight, I hope this place and the gyms are jammed. Helping each other is a great way to succeed.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    Options
    so happy i sneaked in mid-year so i didn't get the January "initiations"
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    43462055.jpg

I'm waiting for all of MFP to get all smug about the "newbies". (like the next 10 posts)
    It's not like we aren't already neck deep in derp but many forget we were new once.

I'm glad people are getting into the idea of being in shape.

Yesterday in the park I saw a guy going balance beam work and two others working on handstands while my daughters and I worked out on parallel bars. When my gyms get crowded, I change my hours.

New blood is good. It's a shame they don't last that long.
  • smc864
    smc864 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I will probably avoid the forums for a month or two in fear that my head will explode with all the typical "do I really have to eat back my exercise calories", "I'll start lifting weights after I lose the fat", "a calorie is not a calorie", "starvation mode" derp has at least slowed down :explode:

But then again, MFP just wouldn't be MFP without the same redundant bs day after day :bigsmile:
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    My biggest issue with the resolutioners is the amount of butt-hurt and strikes that get handed out in January.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    I was a newbie once and I've posted some things in the past that probably got eye rolls. I truly appreciate all the things I've learned here since then. If everyone came into this knowing everything, we wouldn't need this site--would we?

Yes Ma'am. :smile:

I think the more important question is, "how will be respond to the newbies?"
    Will we be patient, helpful and supportive or not?
  • tonybalony01
    tonybalony01 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    It's like being back in college. You're excited to see the new freshman class coming in for whatever your reason may be, but then you get really tired of their shenanigans and ignore them after a while.
    We were all newbies once; here's to the ones that will keep with it and actually put in the work needed to accomplish their goals.
  • kristen2713
    kristen2713 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    It's funny you say this b/c I was just thinking about putting my beach body programs to the side and joining a gym for the winter months...but this thread made me rethink how frigging busy the gym will get in Jan/Feb...better wait until March :sad: My beef with newbies at any time, is that they can't seem to figure out how to use the search button before posting...
  • FatHuMan1
    FatHuMan1 Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options

Yes Ma'am. :smile:

I think the more important question is, "how will be respond to the newbies?"
    Will we be patient, helpful and supportive or not?

Will they be receptive, open minded, and willing to learn?