Who'se looking forward to the January newbies???

Options

Replies

• mister_universe
    mister_universe Posts: 6,664 Member
    Options
    I was a newbie once and I've posted some things in the past that probably got eye rolls. I truly appreciate all the things I've learned here since then. If everyone came into this knowing everything, we wouldn't need this site--would we?

Yes Ma'am. :smile:

I think the more important question is, "how will be respond to the newbies?"
    Will we be patient, helpful and supportive or not?

Will they be receptive, open minded, and willing to learn?

What could possibly go wrong? :bigsmile:
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    I was a newbie once and I've posted some things in the past that probably got eye rolls. I truly appreciate all the things I've learned here since then. If everyone came into this knowing everything, we wouldn't need this site--would we?

Maybe, maybe not, but I can choose to either reply nicely or not at all.
  • GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    Personally I think it's great. You need to start somewhere and it's just a simple fact that the good ol' NYR is usually it for most. Sure it's a real PITA dealing with the overcrowding but I just need to remember that I was there once too. I have some really nice and helpful people at my gym that really made me feel welcome in my first few weeks/months :bigsmile:
    This.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

Probably not... We are "too mean" for them. :laugh:
  • daniflems
    daniflems Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I don't mind them here...

But at the gym though... Grrrr !!!

^^^THIS^^^
    How sucky is it when you hit the gym all year long and when January rolls around you don't even get the chance to work out for all the people crammed in there....it's extremely frustrating because you know about %75 of them are not going to be there next month anyways....it wouldn't bother me as much if I thought they would all stick around and give it an honest go!!
  • FatHuMan1
    FatHuMan1 Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options

Good for you.My patience wears thin when people who ask for help refuse to take it because it's not what they want to hear. And if they get snippy with me I have no problem answering in kind.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    Yes, I am looking forward to the influx.

Nothing more amusing than watching all the self-righteous know-it-alls just completely blow a ****ing gasket at the noob questions.
  • obrientp
    obrientp Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    This will be my first January on MFP. It will be interesting to see what's it's like.
  • PapaverSomniferum
    PapaverSomniferum Posts: 2,677 Member
    Options
    I can't wait. There's always so much enthusiasm for fitness at the first of the year, then again in early spring when swim suits start showing up in stores.

I'm more excited for the people i know IRL to do their yearly 3 weeks of diet and exercise.

For 3 weeks, I'm no longer the lonely diet-obsessed friend, but instead, the nutrition expert!
  • darkon
    darkon Posts: 5,342 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I don't really wanna think about the post xmas weeks... My scale laugh at me already -_-
  • Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member
    Options
    -hugs darkon-
    It's okay, we'll be here for you hehe.
  • smaihlee
    smaihlee Posts: 171 Member
    Options

And that's what I love about you! Thanks for being my MFP friend and one of the most positive and encouraging people on my feed :bigsmile:

After suddenly finding motivation after 40+ years of being a slack *kitten*, I have really struggled with my attitude both on MFP and IRL over the past year. On one hand, I know just how hard it can be when you know you need to do something but don't have the wherewithal to follow through. Sometimes, though, I get really aggravated with people who can't seem to come to terms with the fact that it takes actual work to make change. It's always easiest to empathize with the person you are right now, no matter where you've come from--right?!

I have worked very hard to try to be more patient in my response, and remember that not everyone on here just "wakes up one day" with the gumption it takes to succeed.
  • _chiaroscuro
    _chiaroscuro Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I was a resolutioner this year. I plan to pay it forward because that's the standard of behavior I maintain for myself, but I'm neither anxiously awaiting nor dreading it.

So far I've been successful. I'm not done becoming fit yet, but taking responsibility for my health made me something of an accountability addict. I've spent months learning how to stop being a princess, stop fearing success, and start owning my life, mistakes and all. It's bled into my career, how I parent, what kind of wife, daughter, and friend I am. It's been risky, and terrifying, and amazing, and it's how I do things now.

But I'm not wiggling in my seat to help a ton of people do the same because they won't, for two main reasons:

1. Some people really just need to lose 15 pounds and move a little more. They don't need me and my revolution.
    2. Some people do need a revolution but aren't ready for the honesty and accountability that requires.

But I'll put what I can out there. You never know who it will ignite.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I was a resolutioner this year. I plan to pay it forward because that's the standard of behavior I maintain for myself, but I'm neither anxiously awaiting nor dreading it.

So far I've been successful. I'm not done becoming fit yet, but taking responsibility for my health made me something of an accountability addict. I've spent months learning how to stop being a princess, stop fearing success, and start owning my life, mistakes and all. It's bled into my career, how I parent, what kind of wife, daughter, and friend I am. It's been risky, and terrifying, and amazing, and it's how I do things now.

But I'm not wiggling in my seat to help a ton of people do the same because they won't, for two main reasons:

1. Some people really just need to lose 15 pounds and move a little more. They don't need me and my revolution.
    2. Some people do need a revolution but aren't ready for the honesty and accountability that requires.

You're one of the good ones. :heart: :heart: :heart:

I think you're the only friend I added during resolution season who's still around.
  • _chiaroscuro
    _chiaroscuro Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options

I think you're the only friend I added during resolution season who's still around.

Hey Lady, *SMOOCH*.:heart::heart:
    Other than really being ready, I'm also still around because I didn't dismiss you "mean people". When I look at my FL I often think of a quote from Gangs of New York:

"It's a funny feeling being taken under the wing of a dragon. It's warmer than you'd think."

Can't wait to see what we all do next year. :wink:
  • ihad
    ihad Posts: 7,463 Member
    Options

Hey Lady, *SMOOCH*.:heart::heart:
    Other than really being ready, I'm also still around because I didn't dismiss you "mean people". When I look at my FL I often think of a quote from Gangs of New York:

"It's a funny feeling being taken under the wing of a dragon. It's warmer than you'd think."

Can't wait to see what we all do next year. :wink:

:heart:
  • IwearBatmanUndies
    Options
    Brace yourself !!!
  • wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I don't mind newbies.

I've been a newbie once, no need to pretend otherwise.

I've never really understood the concept of hazing someone.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    The OP of this thread has a January 2013 join date. Just sayin
  • IwearBatmanUndies
    Options
    The OP of this thread has a January 2013 join date. Just sayin

//thread