Who'se looking forward to the January newbies???

Options

Replies

• TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options
    Why won't anyone support my gurney?

gurney.jpg

I'm not supporting it, I'm embracing it
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options
    Well said!! Funny how judgmental some people on here can be when it wasn't that long ago that they were new here, and asking questions about net calories etc...

I wasn't judgmental and will even do my best to help people (until it drives me crazy), but then again I've only posted a total of one topics to ask a question specific to my at home exercise routine. I used the search function for the rest of it. I don't blame people for being cranky about the influx of stupid questions. just sayin...
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I think there will be lots of threads on TOM, not eating back exercise calories, how lifting makes you bulky...

I might just have to take a hiatus from the forums for a few weeks until the resolutioners give up.

I love the TOM threads. How can someone be so clueless about an event that happens every month after about age 11ish?

Careful, that's a strike-able statement right there. :flowerforyou:
  • ekz13
    ekz13 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    we can always try the

"have you used the search function? I remember seeing something like your question already around here somewhere."

approach.. might work this year :drinker:
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    I don't judge people for being new. I don't think I saw anyone in this thread saying that being new was what they found annoying.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    we can always try the

"have you used the search function? I remember seeing something like your question already around here somewhere."

People have been given strikes for saying that.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    Depends on how much common sense they have and whether or not they are truly willing to do whatever it takes to achieve their goals. I will help anyone who genuinely wants to work hard. If there's one thing I cannot stand, it's hearing someone say "I want X. How do I get it?" and then claim that whatever you tell them to do is too much work.
  • ekz13
    ekz13 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    we can always try the

People have been given strikes for saying that.

srsly?? wow I thought that it was actually a decent response to help keep the forums clutter free.. (obviously, not "*^@!#$* newb use the search...but more care-beary or something.. ) oh well, back to lurking. (ty for the info btw )
  • janatarnhem
    janatarnhem Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Sigh.....I always feel like a newbie! Constant broken diet and fitness resolutions!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    OP, looks like you joined January of this year. You were a noob once, not too long ago. it would do many people well to remember that they all started at the bottom, just like anyone else, and to give noobs the benefit of the doubt.
  • KristinNicole82
    KristinNicole82 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I will support anyone who is willing to try. I dont mind newbies on the message boards but am not looking forward to my gym being packed for the next couple months. Purely selfish reasons.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Mmmm Fresh meat.

can-i-have-your-number-o.gif
  • ScottyNoHotty
    ScottyNoHotty Posts: 1,955 Member
    Options
    there's always a few I can talk into showing me their t.i.ts.
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    So no one else was new here once? or EVER faltered? WOW I am going to strive to be that Perfect, NOT!!! It is a journey, with hills and valleys, mistakes and progress. Embrace your journey and if you can't be nice, keep your mouth shut!

this is an example of the over-reacting butt-hurt that will be everywhere in January.

No, this is an example of people who were not raised correctly. I was taught, "if you cannot say something nice, say nothing at all!"
  • Casstevens133
    Casstevens133 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Well I was a January starter this year and I'm still here and nearly 42lb down :-) Yes I know a good percentage will give up fairly quickly but not all so I'll give the benefit of the doubt to this who have the courtesy to send a note along with their friend requests :-)
  • JustAboutDelicious_wechanged
    Options
    I'm just hoping one of these new people can FINALLY tell me how to get a thigh gap. I mean, I'm only partially a woman without a thigh gap, amiright?
  • metaphoria
    metaphoria Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    Mmmm Fresh meat.

can-i-have-your-number-o.gif

Its been done, son.
  • GothyFaery
    GothyFaery Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Everyone is new at some point. I still consider myself new as I have only actually been doing this for 3 months now. People will have questions that have been asked 100 time already but honestly, I HATE the search function on here. I never find exactly what I want and I end up with a million results from one thread. It's actually easier to go to Google, type My Fitness Pal and then the question you need answered. So you can't be too hard on people who are just trying to start out on the right foot.

That being said, if you have to wait to a specific date to start losing, you probably are going to give up after a month. I know people who are eating so much junk food right now because "as of January first, no more of this!" If you aren't motivated to start losing weight right now, you're most likely going to lose your "new year" motivation quick

The same thing can be said for dieters who start their diets on Monday. Don't tell me you're going to over eat Thursday - Sunday because you're going to start dieting on Monday. If you want to get healthy, do it now. Don't wait for the beginning of something to do it. There's no better time to start than right now!
  • BikerGirlElaine
    BikerGirlElaine Posts: 1,631 Member
    Options
    I started in January (although yeah, I joined a while back before that). My FL will probably grow, but not a bunch, just because I don't come to the forums all that often. But people helped me and added me even when they had no idea who I was or whether I would stick around, and I will try to do the same.
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    I was a newbie once,

I don't mind any new mfp members showing up any time of the year.
    They will be asking questions and I'm sure I will learn something new.

I'm sure many of this January newbies will be next January's success stories :smile:

QFT.......This for the win....