The Skinny Rules by Bob Harper

Options

Replies

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I just started reading The Skinny Rules by Bob Harper and I have to say some of his tips are pretty good. Some are common sense but some are things I didnt know. Here are some of his rules to being skinny

1. Drink a large glass of water before every meal- no excuses
    2. Don't drink your calories (as in only drink water, coffee, teas, etc. Avoid sodas, juices)
    3. Eat protein at every meal (to avoid getting hungry and grouchy)
    4. Cut your intake of refined flours and grains (pasta, bagels, even those that say "low in fat")
    5. Eat 30 to 50 grams of fiber a day
    6. Eat apples and berries every single day (as snacks)
    7. No carbs after lunch
    8. Learn to read food labels
    9. Stop guessing about portion size and get it right- for good
    10. no added sweeteners including artificial ones
    11. No white potatoes
    12. Don't eat meat once a week
    13. Get rid of fast foods and fried foods
    The list goes on and on. He has 20 rules that he mentions and explains. The 2nd part of the book offers explanations about what you should eat. Like I said, I only started reading the book so I don't know what it talks about but it's very interesting, and I feel like I can learn a couple of things by reading it. Any of you guys read the book? Did you guys like it?

I cannot recommend this book highly enough, my table was a bit unstable so i put it under one of the legs and hey presto fixed, i can now eat meat and potatoes and they don't roll around my plate

cheers bob
    tumblr_mx8c8kQYj71sj3oxho1_400.gif
  • ajaxe432
    ajaxe432 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    After reading this.....I come to conclusion that everyone (on MFP) knows what works for everyone (sarcasm intended).....just saying. If she likes the plan and it works for her, well then it is not necessarly wrong now is it? It probably would not work for me, but we are all different. The way I look at is Bob Harper has helped more people lose weight than I, you or anyone on this post ..... he must be doing something right?
  • maasha81
    maasha81 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    After reading this.....I come to conclusion that everyone (on MFP) knows what works for everyone (sarcasm intended).....just saying. If she likes the plan and it works for her, well then it is not necessarly wrong now is it? It probably would not work for me, but we are all different. The way I look at is Ben Harper has helped more people lose weight than I, you or anyone on this post ..... he must be doing something right?

I loved that you called him Ben Harper :flowerforyou:
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    1. Drink a large glass of water before every meal- no excuses: helps with eating less meaning less calories
    2. Don't drink your calories (as in only drink water, coffee, teas, etc. Avoid sodas, juices): less calories
    3. Eat protein at every meal (to avoid getting hungry and grouchy): helps with satiety meaning less calories
    4. Cut your intake of refined flours and grains (pasta, bagels, even those that say "low in fat"): less calories
    5. Eat 30 to 50 grams of fiber a day: helps with hunger meaning less calories
    6. Eat apples and berries every single day (as snacks): less calories
    7. No carbs after lunch: less calories
    8. Learn to read food labels: resulting in choosing less calorie dense food and thusless calories
    9. Stop guessing about portion size and get it right- for good: less calories
    10. no added sweeteners including artificial ones: moving away from calorific sweeteners means less calories
    11. No white potatoes: less calories
    12. Don't eat meat once a week: less calories
    13. Get rid of fast foods and fried foods: less calories

I'm noticing a pattern here....
  • hilts1969
    hilts1969 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    1. Drink a large glass of water before every meal- no excuses: helps with eating less meaning less calories
    2. Don't drink your calories (as in only drink water, coffee, teas, etc. Avoid sodas, juices): less calories
    3. Eat protein at every meal (to avoid getting hungry and grouchy): helps with satiety meaning less calories
    4. Cut your intake of refined flours and grains (pasta, bagels, even those that say "low in fat"): less calories
    5. Eat 30 to 50 grams of fiber a day: helps with hunger meaning less calories
    6. Eat apples and berries every single day (as snacks): less calories
    7. No carbs after lunch: less calories
    8. Learn to read food labels: resulting in choosing less calorie dense food and thusless calories
    9. Stop guessing about portion size and get it right- for good: less calories
    10. no added sweeteners including artificial ones: moving away from calorific sweeteners means less calories
    11. No white potatoes: less calories
    12. Don't eat meat once a week: less calories
    13. Get rid of fast foods and fried foods: less calories

I'm noticing a pattern here....

Mr Bob would struggle to make much money out of a book that had 1 page and on it and it said eat less calories, i would be a better book no doubt though

Nowadays it appears people need to be told how to suck eggs(egg white only of course)
  • ajaxe432
    Options
    After reading this.....I come to conclusion that everyone (on MFP) knows what works for everyone (sarcasm intended).....just saying. If she likes the plan and it works for her, well then it is not necessarly wrong now is it? It probably would not work for me, but we are all different. The way I look at is Ben Harper has helped more people lose weight than I, you or anyone on this post ..... he must be doing something right?

I loved that you called him Ben Harper :flowerforyou:
    Lol, its early here!!
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options

Meat (too much) could give you bowel cancer in the end, humans were not supposed to be meat eaters. Meat once a week is OK, and fish twice. Usually men like meat or quick protein for repairing ripped muscles, sorry body building.

Please explain where you get your opinion "humans were not supposed to be meat eaters." This blatantly incorrect; we are omnivores, not herbivores.

Also, where do you get meat causes bowel cancer? The only way meat could cause cancer would be if you never ate any fiber. If you eat plenty of fruits, vegetables and whole grains, "meat" will not cause cancer.

A well balanced diet is the best..
  • BeckyMBisMe
    BeckyMBisMe Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Money+Money+Money+O'Jays&Form=VQFRVP#view=detail&mid=C416AD5A71706F5495A9C416AD5A71706F5495A9

Ah ha! I think I found the answer to all the questions! LOL
    Hey, maybe if we all moved like these guys we could lose weight and skip shelling it out to make these weight loss gurus richer.
  • ajaxe432
    Options

Meat (too much) could give you bowel cancer in the end, humans were not supposed to be meat eaters. Meat once a week is OK, and fish twice. Usually men like meat or quick protein for repairing ripped muscles, sorry body building.

Please explain where you get your opinion "humans were not supposed to be meat eaters." This blatantly incorrect; we are omnivores, not herbivores.

Also, where do you get meat causes bowel cancer? The only way meat could cause cancer would be if you never ate any fiber. If you eat plenty of fruits, vegetables and whole grains, "meat" will not cause cancer.

A well balanced diet is the best..
    Like the first portion of the post- We as humans are omnivores. I do agree with that.

But can you clarify - maybe a source that shows your explanation on cancer. I am very curious.
  • tbresina
    tbresina Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    4. Cut your intake of refined flours and grains (pasta, bagels, even those that say "low in fat")
    6. Eat apples and berries every single day (as snacks)
    7. No carbs after lunch
    10. no added sweeteners including artificial ones
    11. No white potatoes
    12. Don't eat meat once a week
    4. Why?
    6. Why apples and berries specifically?
    7. Why?
    10. What's wrong with sweeteners?
    11. Why?
    12. How about twice?

Did Mr. Bob Harper give reasons for each of his rules? Did he back his reasoning, if any, with more than just his opinion?
    Wow, these are no brainers, do you even have to ask? Especially #10, cause they are toxic!
  • tbresina
    tbresina Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    1. Drink a large glass of water before every meal- no excuses NO! It interferes with digestion and maxing out my meal.
    2. Don't drink your calories (as in only drink water, coffee, teas, etc. Avoid sodas, juices)NO! I drink protein shakes and latte's
    3. Eat protein at every meal (to avoid getting hungry and grouchy) Yeah, I kinda like this one.
    4. Cut your intake of refined flours and grains (pasta, bagels, even those that say "low in fat") ONLY those "low in fat" ones.
    5. Eat 30 to 50 grams of fiber a day OR totally overdo it like I did the other day and have an explosive evening. Releive-ning.
    6. Eat apples and berries every single day (as snacks) What am I a bear?
    7. No carbs after lunch Carbs whenever you damn well please.
    8. Learn to read food labels LOLwut? If I can read this I can read a food label
    9. Stop guessing about portion size and get it right- for good there goes my crystal ball novelty food scale
    10. no added sweeteners including artificial ones except maple syrup, honey, agave, molasses, brown sugar, and sugar
    11. No white potatoes reverse racism is still racism
    12. Don't eat meat once a week that's right eat it all the days!!!!!
    13. Get rid of fast foods and fried foods Get rid of guys named Harper

Maybe that is why you are on this site and Harper is ripped !
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    1. Drink a large glass of water before every meal- no excuses NO! It interferes with digestion and maxing out my meal.
    2. Don't drink your calories (as in only drink water, coffee, teas, etc. Avoid sodas, juices)NO! I drink protein shakes and latte's
    3. Eat protein at every meal (to avoid getting hungry and grouchy) Yeah, I kinda like this one.
    4. Cut your intake of refined flours and grains (pasta, bagels, even those that say "low in fat") ONLY those "low in fat" ones.
    5. Eat 30 to 50 grams of fiber a day OR totally overdo it like I did the other day and have an explosive evening. Releive-ning.
    9. Stop guessing about portion size and get it right- for good there goes my crystal ball novelty food scale
    10. no added sweeteners including artificial ones except maple syrup, honey, agave, molasses, brown sugar, and sugar

1) Not all of us are on this site to lose weight.

2) Harper is an idiot. Anyone can be ripped. It's called a calorie deficit + time.
  • hilts1969
    Options

And how are you today Mrs Harper?
  • cubsgirlinny
    cubsgirlinny Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    OP: good luck, great health. I haven't read the book yet, but scouted a few interviews of Bob talking about it. It's not 1200 and stop. Owning it and actually reading it, you've probably noticed that yourself. Our bodies are unique machines and each responds differently to the fuel we put in them. For me, it's a book (with loads of recipes) called Practical Paleo. When I eat this way, I feel better. I get that that's not everyone's bag, nor are the Skinny Rules. I hope it works for you and you enjoy your weight-loss journey.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

You think Harper follows his "skinny rules"?

Absolutely not.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I refuse to do any of these. Bob Harper sucks.
  • hilts1969
    Options
    I refuse to do any of these. Bob Harper sucks.

I have never heard of the guy till this thread and now i can't stand the bloke

up yours Harper
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    i avoid anything that has "skinny" and "rules" in it...

and this is a re-bump from a while back ...

+1

I have ZERO desire to ever be "skinny." My goal is 30% BF and to be able to lift my own body weight. Strong is sexy.

ETA: And I've always hated rules. I govern myself!
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    crazy-cat-lady-or-makeup-celebrate-our-feline-friends-51030.jpg

This is good to know! Cat hair is all over my black pea coat, and I was afraid that I would have to do something rash to my daughter's cat!
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    Those that are overweight are generally in that situation because they either have no structure or have unhealthy structure with their nutrition. For them, buying a book about nutrition is an admission that winging it isn’t working. Following a list of guidelines can provide enough structure to possibly start getting different results. Just telling people “eat less” is not useful advice – yeah, I think we all get that, if it were that easy no one would be fat.

Going through these rules, I don’t see the harm in following them. Some are useful, others are less useful, but none are dangerous (unless you have medical issues). So you eat more apples and berries, drink water before a meal, and cut out down on refined flours, fast food, and artificial sweeteners – aggghhhhhhh, such a bizarre and radical bit of health charlatanism! Harper is most certainly engaged in an insidious conspiracy to make huge profits by manipulating the apples and berries commodities markets.