WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR NOVEMBER

Options

Replies

• Suzanita
    Suzanita Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    So great to wake up and read new posts and become inspired to exercise! I'm going to work and run errands and then another walk in the park.....taking the Halloween candy to work also....way too much temptation there!

Vicki the pancakes sound good as I am also trying not to eat white flour....where did you find the recipe?

Have a good day everyone!
  • jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    Vicki –Way to go on the 2 pounds loss! I know you will get back down to your goal. Hang in there.

MacMadame – I’m glad that you did well on your October goals. I hope you continue to heal and make your November goals.

Mimi- I, too, have planned treats. I think they keep me from pigging out. I know it helps me resist over eating at work pot lucks. I’d rather have my treat at home with the family anyway.

Birdie – Thank for such a heart warming closing paragraph on your post. It is so true. We can go on.

Smwert – 4 pounds loss in a month shows dedication. Good luck for November.

Faye – Please post a picture of your flower beds. I’d love to see them when they bloom.

Everyone in the USA – Yes, please go vote today. I am bringing my Mom in just a little while. Dad says he’s too old to really know who he is voting for any more, so he is staying home. I respect his decision.

To all not answered individually, no insult intended, I've just run out of coffee and know I will get interrupted before I sit down again. lol

I went to the gym yesterday and worked out for 20 minutes. That is all I have time for, so that is what I did.

My DS (who many of you know is adopted and was quite traumatized before we got him) got into a social skills group for teenage boys on Mondays. I have just enough time to run to the gym, workout for 20 minutes and run back to get him. The program is called Boyz2Men and is a federally/state funded program as group therapy is not covered by most health insurance programs. This is the first government "handout" we have every gotten and I am grateful for it and grateful to all of you as all of us paid into this program. I wish they had more money to expand it to more communities. It's only been a few weeks and we can already see what a big help it is. I think it could benefit any teenage boy struggling with life and school.

Have a great day!

Jeannie
  • vickim26
    vickim26 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Suzanita it is actually a mix by quaker not a recipe. really very tasty.
    Vicki M
  • vickim26
    Options
    I fogot to post my work situation. I am a retired pre school teacher. I taught for 18 years. I retired when the 3 4 yr old grandchildren were born so I could care for 2 of them. That is what I have been doing since. This year I have only rhea who is 4. Emma started pre school. even though they are only 2 months apart Rhea missed the cut off date for school. I will also start keeping byron when he is ready to leave his mama. He is 5 months old. I am very fortunate that I dont really have to work. My honey does that for both of us. LOL. I love being retired and being able to be there for kids and grandkids and being able to travel.
    Vicki M

PS. the pancakes are a not a recipe but a mix by quaker.
  • DayAtATime
    Options
    Good to connect with a group of ladies over 50 years old. I am now 55 and I continue to be amazed how life and my body changed after 50. I was always lean and then hit the brick wall at 50. I have been trying to lose weight for the last year with no real results. I joined MFP last month and have lost 4lbs....yeah!!! I didn't think it was possible and I love the site and the easy ability to log calories and actually see how much I eat. I always thought I was eating an amount to lose but it was not the case. Goals for November.....Keep the faith...Keep logging into MFP....Keep exercising.....Keep up with the daily food diary....Lose 4 lbs in November....Remember it is a lifestyle not a short term fix....Do better on eating over the weekends. Anyway, I look forward to a successful November.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,986 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: good morning, between "Dancing With the Stars" and the World Series (we taped both of them so we could watch every minute along with going out to a meeting at 7) we stayed up much too late and slept much too late.

:flowerforyou: I have been retired since 2004 after teaching grades one and two in public school in California for over 30 years....when I retired I thought I would knit and watch TV as my way to relax after all those years of hard work, but instead we moved to a new state, got two high maintenance dogs, traveled in an RV in the summer for five years, and I took up line dancing which is now a passion and a priority for me. We have an exercise bike in the living room, hand weights, WII Sports, and a bunch of exercise DVDs to allow exercise even when the weather is wet (and in NW Washington, it is wet a lot). I take my dogs to the off leash dog park every day and walk for the 20-40 minutes that they are playing. I have just enough yard to keep me busy without being overwhelming. I lost 70 pounds in about a year with the help of Isagenix and MFP and now I am in constant battle with the last 3 pounds and stay close to MFP to make sure it doesn't get out of control

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: Today I will be making more applesauce and baking and freezing one of the pumpkins I bought.....between the applesauce and the pumpkin I'll have the makings of soup in the middle of winter :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

:flowerforyou: I have reminded myself of my old rule of drinking 8 ounces of water before logging onto MFP
    :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • mcdebbie
    mcdebbie Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    Checking in to mark my spot for the month. Goals are to start using the food diary everyday and to excercise at least 3 times a week.
  • tiarapants
    tiarapants Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies

Good to see a few new faces (still loving the 'old faces' too!) Welcome to you all. This is THE best place for support and a chance to rant or wail. Not to mention show our gratitude and chat about our lives.

I went to the pool earlier on. Honestly, I'm not sure that I'm ever going to be able to swim a length of a pool! At present I can manage about half a length on my back, but on my front - not a chance! For some reason I just cannot get my head out of the water enough to take a breath! Not good. Still, I'm able to float and I can propel myself through the water a little bit - which is more than I could before I started these lessons. How I wish I had been able to learn to swim when I was a child instead of waiting until the age of 51.

DD#1 had her 36 week scan yesterday. The boy is now 5.9 pounds and the girl is 5.8 - maybe the tiny clothes I've bought will not be used! After all the worry over the past couple of weeks with her blood pressure, it is good to see that the cupcakes are baking nicely and are obviously good and comfy where they are. We will all be glad once the twins are here and Natasha is on the road to recovery from the birth. This has been much more traumatic than my own pregnancies!

I've noticed that I'm drinking more coffee than I should lately. I drink it black with no sugar, so it's not a problem with calories, just caffeine. I really don't see the point of decaf coffee. Anyway, I'm going to try to limit myself to two cups a day. Also, I want to try to increase my water levels. I drink about 3 litres a day (just over 100 fl oz), but will try to drink more as I've noticed my skin is not looking as good as it was.

Got myself some treats for losing over 100 pounds. I went into the beauty section of a department store and stocked up on some good exfoliating and moisturising creams, lotions and potions. My intention was to splurge up to £100 (GBP) but I went a little crazy and spent closer to £200! Admittedly, some of that was a little treat for my 2 DDs and future DDIL. Hmm, good job DH and I have separate bank accounts!

Can't remember who it was that asked about what we all do for a living. Well I have had several reincarnations, but my main job was a diamond tiara maker until about 2 years ago. I have mild glaucoma and my eyes are just not up to the close work these days (also, I have problems with my fingers which made it doubly difficult). Nowadays, I mostly do Latin translation, especially for my husband who writes books on antiquarian maps and prints.

Whoa - time to get off my bottom and start getting some more exercise. Catch up with you all later.

Amanda x
  • mimi7grands
    Options
    I'm still waiting for my folks to get here - my Mom's a slow starter just like I am. I couldn't resist the opportunity for one last check-in.

Birdie, our granddaughters look so much alike, they could be twins or at least sisters. Kate also dressed up as a pirate for Halloween. I made my pic with the two girls my profile picture (d'ya like my green face and dark eyes?), but the faces are hard to see. I posted another picture on my profile where you can see her better. The similarities are amazing. Is yours a pistol like mine is?

Have a good week everyone. If you get hungry, remember to eat your fruits and veggies first! (And, everybody said, "Yes Mom!":laugh: )
    :heart:
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,396 Member
    Options
    IrinaPA - Vince is retired. When we moved, I had to leave my job at the Y and then the economy went south so at the present I'm not working. Well, at least not for a paycheck....lol

I did 1 hr of spinning today. I'm undecided as to what to do tomorrow. I haven't worked on the stairclimber for a while, and the only gym that has one is busiest MWF so Thurs might be a good day. I originally was going to go into town to do a barbell workout on Friday, but that's at 9:30, I'll just get home when I have to turn around and go back into town for lunch with the ladies. So I just might do a weight DVD at home.

Kathy - how wonderful you may get to see your dd Thanksgiving. Jessica wants us to come up there and she'll fix Thanksgiving dinner. What that translates into is that she's never done something like this before so guess who'll be helping?????

I've decided that I'm going to do the water aerobics tomorrow and the stairmaster on Thurs, then Friday even tho we're going to go to the lunch in Hickory, I'll take the weight class at 9:30, then change clothes and go to lunch. Maybe I'll do some food shopping before lunch.

Going to try that Mexican Train Dominoes tonight. I'm not feeling real good about it. Don't know exactly why. At least I can say that I gave it a chance.

Everyone, have a great night.

Michele
  • BirdieM
    BirdieM Posts: 791 Member
    Options

Birdie, our granddaughters look so much alike, they could be twins or at least sisters. Kate also dressed up as a pirate for Halloween. I made my pic with the two girls my profile picture (d'ya like my green face and dark eyes?), but the faces are hard to see. I posted another picture on my profile where you can see her better. The similarities are amazing. Is yours a pistol like mine is?

:heart:

Mimi I love the new pic!!!!:love: The little cuties DO look a lot alike!! And YES...she is one feisty little girl!! :noway: I have to watch her every minute or she'll be climbing up on a table or jumping off something!!! :noway: :noway: Aren't they just so adorable????!!!!:love::love: On the other hand...I'm finding it hard to keep up with her!!!!:noway: :noway: :laugh:
    I also like the pictures of you! You are one beautiful lady!!!!
    Have a great week!!!!!:flowerforyou:
    BirdieM:heart:
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    My workout schedule continues to be messed up. They canceled the Core class I was going to do yesterday so I went to the gym to do water running. But there was an aerobics class in there so they wouldn't let me run. Said I would "interfere" with the class. Except more than half the class was just standing around talking!

Anyway, I joined in for the last 30 min. and then I got my belt and started jogging when everyone got out. It was fun, but doing 2 hours after 30 min. of water aerobics was TOUGH.
  • jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    Amanda - I forgot to congratulate you on your 100 pounds lost! I guess I missed that.

My Dad decided to go vote today after all. (see previous post) When he found out we were leaving, he said he couldn't go in his slippers and to help him with his shoes. We just went with it. lol

Jeannie
  • AliceLMS
    AliceLMS Posts: 2,428 Member
    Options
    Evening All,

Just returned from voting. I live in a rural area and for my township I was vote 305, sounds like a light turnout I am sorry to say.

I am having an awful food day today. Nothing really unhealthy, I just can't get filled up. Sorry to say my hotflashes are gone, and I feel really moody. I will not be happy, if I have to go back to square one, again!

It was a beautiful day here today, cool and crisp, plentiful sunshine and drifting clouds. A perfect fall day! Worked mainly in the office, but enjoyed some outside time as well. Most of the day was spent on an insurance audit for liability insurance. The insurance company had all the figures in a complete muddle, and wanted to charge us more premium. What a suprise!
    At the finish they owe us a refund. Yay for the home team!

On the question of work, yes I do. My DH and I operate a small business based on our farm. We do public displays, and corporate events, educational programs etc.. and also resort photos. We were operating a park that was open to the public, but have closed that for now. We do also operate our farm. We have run as many a four companies at the same time, which I am thankful to say we no longer do. I am hands on in all areas of the business, from farm work to photography and landscaping in the park, and lets not forget the nonstop accounting. My DH does balk at allowing me to run the backhoe and bulldozer. I suspect he thinks these toys are only for boys. Am I busy? Yes. Am I stressed sometimes? Yes. Have I ever been bored with my life? No. I am thankful for all the opportunities that have been given to us, and all of the blessings we have had, and continue to enjoy.

My Grandkids came Trick or Treating tonight, as we were all in Chicago for the weekend. Then we went to vote and the ladies at our little town hall greatly enjoyed 4 yr old Lane in his Chicken costume. Only in rural America!

Nite All, Alice
  • vikkij12
    Options
    Hi, just catching up quickly.
    I work full time in a local government department, here in New Zealand.

will try to catch up more later tonight
  • Suzanita
    Suzanita Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Tracked my food and did not do well at all but its quite an eye opener when you see the calorie count of what you've eaten in a day! My work.....event coordinator at the Hyatt....surrounded by food daily as I have mentioned before....always a challenge.

Beautiful fall day today and tommorrows another day to eat and excercise better and be grateful for all I have in my life.....Tight race in California for govenor....can't stay up to watch but its close. The Giants won though! Yeah Giants!

Goodnite all,
    Suzanne
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,986 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: we live in a county that votes entirely by mail......we got our ballots in the mail a few weeks ago, sat at the dining room table together and talked about our votes, then hand carried the ballots to the local "drop-off" spot and then waited for today to hear the results.......some are good so far :bigsmile: and others are disappointing :cry: :cry:

:flowerforyou: the great applesauce making adventure continues with many boxes of apples still waiting in the garage :bigsmile:
    :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • vickim26
    Options
    Good morning ladies,
    I was up early this morning, about 5:45 am. Decided to make a gumbo but had no chicken so went to wal mart early morn to get some. Also picked up 2 exercise dvd's Jillian Yoga Meltdown and Bob's inside out method. preparing for winter. Not going to let the cold dreary weather get me down this year. they were only 10 dollars each. Gumbo is cooking. going to have 3 grandchildren today. Rhea, Skyler (tonya is going to volunteer at Gracie's school) and Byron (heather was off mon adn tues so will be busy today so asked me to keep him. I will check back in later. Hope you all have a good day. I am pleased with most of elections. Hope you ladies are too.
    Vicki M
  • jteammom
    jteammom Posts: 173
    Options
    I'm a MFP newbie looking for friends and support. I am like so many others - gain then lose then gain then lose...then gain. :( It is so inspiring to see the fantastic weight losses so many of you have posted. I hope I can get on that train!

I moved (kicking and screaming) to this area 3 years ago and quickly gained 25 lbs. I took off 20 lbs in the past year, then in 4 months put 10 back on. This time should be easier, though, as my husband has also joined MFP. He has been thin most of his life, but age (plus beer) is catching up with him and for the first time in his life he is overweight, and not happy about it. I know the harder and longer he works at losing the easier it will be for me.

I enjoyed reading your posts; how wonderful that you are all there for each other. I hope you don't mind more company!

2671833.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • BirdieM
    BirdieM Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    I'm a MFP newbie looking for friends and support. I am like so many others - gain then lose then gain then lose...then gain. :( It is so inspiring to see the fantastic weight losses so many of you have posted. I hope I can get on that train!

I moved (kicking and screaming) to this area 3 years ago and quickly gained 25 lbs. I took off 20 lbs in the past year, then in 4 months put 10 back on. This time should be easier, though, as my husband has also joined MFP. He has been thin most of his life, but age (plus beer) is catching up with him and for the first time in his life he is overweight, and not happy about it. I know the harder and longer he works at losing the easier it will be for me.

I enjoyed reading your posts; how wonderful that you are all there for each other. I hope you don't mind more

company!

Jteam, welcome! :flowerforyou: There's always room for 1 more!:wink:
    I found through being bitterly honest :embarassed: and tracking every bite I took...that my calories were way over what I thought they would be:noway: So I started tweeking my choices and execising on the treadmill. It was a process that....doing it "One Day at a Time' brought me to today...and 53 pounds lighter.:bigsmile: I, also, always gained back my weight because I didn't change my lifestyle.:ohwell: I never exercised but today I do. I don't have any binge foods in my house so when I have a weak moment my choices are healthier than they were before.:flowerforyou: I DO NOT CONSIDER THIS A DIET! :noway: A diet is something you go on....and fall off of.:angry: I make lifestyle changes that I know I can do for today. Tomorrow???? That will end up being TODAY:laugh: :laugh: so I don't let it live rent free in my head. You can do something for 24 hours that you couldn't possibly do for a lifetime! Good luck!
    BirdieM:drinker: :flowerforyou: :drinker: