Do you know any food that burns body fat?

Options

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I need to know. I need to burn more fat (: Please, answer.

Food does not burn fat. If you want to burn fat, get up and move.
  • Justifier
    Justifier Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    do-you-even-science_o_893989.jpg

Putting energy into your body does not burn energy. (Except for the miniscule amount used for digestion which is inconsequential.)
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    If there was such a thing, I'm sure no one would have to ask that question. Everyone would know about it and be eating it!
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    tape worms
  • HikerRR50
    HikerRR50 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I think pizza does.. Someone told me that so I eat it all the time now.. morning noon and night.. ;) I keep waiting for it to work..

^this works for me
  • monjacq1964
    monjacq1964 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I need to know. I need to burn more fat (: Please, answer.

is this a serious question?
  • GadgetGuy2
    GadgetGuy2 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Cardboard. It takes more calories to eat it than it contains (BUT remove any glue for this to be true).

My credentials on this topic are non-existent (like the food you seek), and I confess total ignorance of the caloric content of cardboard (corrugated? flat? shredded? mmmmmm so many flavors too choose from).

No....McDonald's does not count as cardboard.....no matter how many minutes it has sat in the cold air.
  • Rainyday816
    Rainyday816 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    At first I was just going to roll my eyes, but I did remember reading this:

http://www.webmd.com/diet/news/20050126/green-tea-fights-fat

This study suggests that green tea, or green tea extract, in high amounts will help you burn more fat. However, please note that in three months, the group that drank a crap ton of green tea lost 2.4 more pounds than the group that didn't. So, you could drink four cups of green tea every day for three months... and you'd probably lose about as much as if you stuck to your MFP diet for only week.

**As far as I know, this study has not been replicated and therefore in no way can be regarded as scientific fact - just something to think about**

Conclusion: Green tea is really good for you, but there are no miracle foods. Exercise is the fastest way to burn fat, and getting a gym membership will pay off a lot more in the long run that spending hundreds of dollars on supplements (that might not even work).
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Cold water... Does require caloric burn to bring it to body temp and will assist in weight loss... There is some evidence that green tea and coffee do raise the speed of your metabolism slightly. The real answer is Eat Less Move More.
    Sorry no magic pills
  • Justifier
    Justifier Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    At first I was just going to roll my eyes, but I did remember reading this:

http://www.webmd.com/diet/news/20050126/green-tea-fights-fat

This study suggests that green tea, or green tea extract, in high amounts will help you burn more fat. However, please note that in three months, the group that drank a crap ton of green tea lost 2.4 more pounds than the group that didn't. So, you could drink four cups of green tea every day for three months... and you'd probably lose about as much as if you stuck to your MFP diet for only week.

**As far as I know, this study has not been replicated and therefore in no way can be regarded as scientific fact - just something to think about**

Conclusion: Green tea is really good for you, but there are no miracle foods. Exercise is the fastest way to burn fat, and getting a gym membership will pay off a lot more in the long run that spending hundreds of dollars on supplements (that might not even work).

As much as I love the symptom checker, I don't really trust WebMD as a source of medical information.

I'm going to guess (didn't read the study) that the group that drank green tea was less hungry because they were full of green tea and ate less calories.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    or, you can head to the nearest rainbow, make a left, follow said rainbow to the end, and you will find a leprechaun who will have a bowl full of foods that burn body fat...

Lucky Charms FTW
  • Jane2285
    Jane2285 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    The Top 5 Fat-Burning Fruits

a Care2 favorite by Michelle Schoffro Cook
    375 comments

The Top 5 Fat-Burning Fruits

get healthy living updates

Are you trying to lose weight? Now you can have your fruit and your weight loss too. Most fruit contains excessive amount of natural sugars that quickly converts into fat when eaten in excess. There are some fruits that actually work to help burn fat. Adding more of these fruits to your diet can help with fat loss. While fruit has many natural healing compounds, sometimes its sugar content can be a problem for people interested in losing weight. However, some fruits actually help you to burn fat. Here are my picks for the Top 5 Fat-Burning Fruits:

Avocado: Loaded with healthy Omega 9 fatty acids (the same fats found in olive oil, olives, and macadamia nuts), avocados speed the conversion of fat into energy and boost the rate of metabolism.

Coconut: Coconut is rich with medium chain triglycerides (MCFAs) which increase the liver’s rate of metabolism by up to 30 percent, according to some experts. They also help keep you full so you’re less likely to snack on junk food. Coconut oil frequently aids the functioning of the thyroid gland. Coconut oil, coconut milk (not the low fat variety), coconut flour, and shredded (unsweetened) coconut all contain MCFAs.

Lemons: Excellent liver detoxifiers, lemons also alkalize our body. They may seem acidic based on taste but in the process of being metabolized by the body, they actually alkalize our bodily fluids and tissues. Maintaining the health of the liver is also imperative to the body’s ability to digest and burn fat, since the liver is one of the organs responsible for these functions.

Grapefruit: Many studies confirm that grapefruit is an excellent weight loss food. In one study at Johns Hopkins University, women who eat grapefruit daily shed almost 20 pounds on average in only 13 weeks, without changing anything else in their diet or lifestyle.

Tomatoes: Packed with vitamin C and the phytochemical lycopene, tomatoes stimulate the production of the amino acid known as carnitine. Research has shown carnitine helps speed the body’s fat-burning capacity by one third.

Read more: http://www.care2.com/greenliving/the-top-5-fat-burning-fruits.html#ixzz2mRqKmtW1

I don't know...honestly, but found this?? Something to ponder??

Greek Yogurt

What makes Greek yogurt a delicious tool for weight loss is its protein content. It has twice as much as other yogurts. "Protein takes longer to leave the stomach," says sports nutritionist Leslie Bonci, MPH, RD. "That keeps you satisfied longer." As a bonus, Bonci tells WebMD, the body burns more calories digesting protein than carbs. Non-fat, low-fat, and low-sugar types keep a slim profile.

Quinoa

Quinoa (pronounced keen-wa) is a nutritional all-star that belongs in your weight loss plan. This whole grain has 8 grams of hunger-busting protein and 5 grams of fiber in one cup, plus it's as easy to cook as rice. It's also packed with nutrients such as iron, zinc, selenium, and vitamin E. For a quick and interesting dinner, mix in some vegetables, nuts, or lean protein.

Cinnamon

Studies suggest cinnamon may have a stabilizing effect on blood sugar levels. This could curtail appetite, particularly in people with type 2 diabetes, Bonci says. Nearly everyone can benefit from cinnamon in its traditional role. Stir some into your coffee, tea, or yogurt to add sweetness without adding calories.

Hot Peppers

Hot peppers contain a flavorless compound called capsaicin. It's more plentiful in spicy habaneros, but also occurs in jalapeños. This compound appears to curb appetite and speed up the metabolism slightly, but only for a short time. Bonci doubts that this has a significant impact on weight loss. But, she says, people tend to eat less when their food is spicy.

Green Tea

Several studies suggest green tea may promote weight loss by stimulating the body to burn abdominal fat. Green tea contains catechins, a type of phytochemical that may briefly affect the metabolism. To get the most benefit, you may need to drink green tea several times a day. Bonci recommends taking your tea hot, because it takes longer to drink, slowing your calorie intake and providing a soothing, mindful experience.

Grapefruit

While grapefruit doesn't have any magical fat-burning properties, it can help dieters feel full with fewer calories. Bonci attributes this to the plentiful amounts of soluble fiber, which take longer to digest. Having half a grapefruit or a glass of grapefruit juice before a meal may help fill you up, so you eat fewer calories during the meal.

Slices Of Watermelon
    Apples And Pears
    Grapes And Raisins
    Assortment Of Berries
    Variety Of Raw Vegetables
    Baked Sweet Potato With Salad
    Poached Egg On Toast
    Cup Of Hot Coffee
    Oatmeal With Fruit
    Crispbread Crackers
    Fresh Tabouli Salad
    Bowl Of Vegetable Soup
    Bowl Of Healthy Salad
    Spoonful Of Vinegar
    Shelled Pistachio Nuts
    Man Holding Bowl Of Popcorn
    Glass Of Skim Milk
    Grilled Chicken With Salad
    Salmon Steak With Asparagus
    Assortment Of Beans

Heart Foods
    Bad Hair?
    Understanding Depression
    Pet Inspiration
    Sleep Disorders
    Slideshows A-Z

Watermelon

Foods that are high in water content take up more room in the gut, Bonci says. This signals the body that you've had enough to eat and leaves less room for other foods. Many raw fruits and vegetables are chock-full of water and nutrients, but low in calories. Watermelon is a great example. It's a rich source of the antioxidant lycopene and adds some vitamins A and C to your day, too.

Apples And Pears
    Grapes And Raisins
    Assortment Of Berries
    Variety Of Raw Vegetables
    Baked Sweet Potato With Salad
    Poached Egg On Toast
    Cup Of Hot Coffee
    Oatmeal With Fruit
    Crispbread Crackers
    Fresh Tabouli Salad
    Bowl Of Vegetable Soup
    Bowl Of Healthy Salad
    Spoonful Of Vinegar
    Shelled Pistachio Nuts
    Man Holding Bowl Of Popcorn
    Glass Of Skim Milk
    Grilled Chicken With Salad
    Salmon Steak With Asparagus
    Assortment Of Beans

Heart Foods
    Bad Hair?
    Understanding Depression
    Pet Inspiration
    Sleep Disorders
    Slideshows A-Z

Pears and Apples

Pears and apples are also high in water content. Eat them with the peels for extra fiber, which will keep you full longer. Bonci recommends whole fruits rather than fruit juice. Not only do you get more fiber, you have to chew the fruits. This takes longer and requires some exertion. You actually burn a few calories chewing, as opposed to gulping down a smoothie.

Raw Vegetables

Raw vegetables make an outstanding snack. They satisfy the desire to crunch, they're full of water to help you feel full, and they're low in calories. Half a cup of diced celery has just eight calories. Bonci suggests coating celery with a little peanut butter or dunking carrots in salsa. When you're in the mood for chips and dip, try replacing the chips with raw veggies.

Just some...check out http://www.webmd.com/diet/ss/slideshow-fat-fighting-foods lol...:)
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    That's broscience
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    The op only has 4 pounds to lose.

Eat + Exercise = Lose Fat :bigsmile:
  • TommyJensen1987
    Options
    Not really. Anything cold with zero calories (ie water) will theoretically burn liter * heat change in degrees calories, which is to say if you drink a liter of 5 degree water heating it up should burn 37 - 5 = 32k (translate into freedom units as appropriate) but that is honestly not much - and if you drink that much water, that cold, you are going to feel like crap.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Cold water... Does require caloric burn to bring it to body temp and will assist in weight loss... There is some evidence that green tea and coffee do raise the speed of your metabolism slightly. The real answer is Eat Less Move More.
    Sorry no magic pills

It is true that cold water burns calories. If you switched all your water from tepid to iced you can burn enough calories in a year to lose a whole pound.
  • arc8706
    Options
    Apparently according to this youtube video I watched (lol) if you eat foods high in calcium (they suggest low-fat dairy) the calcium binds to fat and causes it to be excreted without being stored in the body.

You can watch it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HA00ZctGz50 it's an "ASAP Science" video.

But you should not be afraid of fat, especially healthy fats (and most of them are healthy, just not trans fats or excessive saturated fat). Eat a variety of foods at a deficit and you will lose weight. Don't worry about diet as it pertains to weight loss (It doesn't, you could eat fat all day and lose weight if you are eating at a calorie deficit) but instead think about what you eat as it will affect your long-term health.
  • KateK8LoseW8
    KateK8LoseW8 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Lack of food burns body fat. Eat 500 calories less than you need to maintain your weight, and your body will burn fat.
  • rosemary98
    Options
    I admit to not reading all of the posts. however, if you eat something zero calorie or exceptionally low calorie (such as cucumbers or celery) the energy expenditure of eating that food may be greater than the calorie content of the food itself...leading to a net loss?
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    I admit to not reading all of the posts. however, if you eat something zero calorie or exceptionally low calorie (such as cucumbers or celery) the energy expenditure of eating that food may be greater than the calorie content of the food itself...leading to a net loss?

2066659_o.gif