Clean Eating

Options
Hello friends! I hope you all are having a wonderful day.

Anyway, I want to start eating clean but I have no idea what that entails. So, for those of you who are eating clean, do you mind giving me some tips please?

Thanks!

Replies

• bryntevans01
    bryntevans01 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Theses are good:

Chicken Breast, Lean steak, pork, turkey
    Salmon, cod, haddock, tuna, trout, scallops, prawns

Lots of green vegetables (keep coloured veg and fruit to minimum; they have a high sugar content)

Sweet potato, wholemeal bread, brown rice, lentils, chickpeas, mixed beans, quinoa

mustards, spices, chillis, herbs, olives

Olive oils, nut oils, fruit oil

These are Bad:
    No sugar, chocolate (dark is ok if a little), cream, No low fat/fat free/healthy/ products
    No ketchup, mayo, dressing or oil/sugar based sauces (packet sauces)
    No Ice Cream or full fat milk.

Easier said than done, takes alot of imagination, but thats a clean diet right there!
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    In our house.... we try VERY hard to cut out most foods with artificial ingredients. No pre-packaged/frozen meals. No store bought juice, soda, etc. Very limited processed snacks, chips, etc.

When shopping.... stay out of the aisles. Fresh meat, veggies, fruits, whole grains. Most of which, are on the outside perimeter of the store.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    There are a hundred different definitions of clean eating. It seems to vary from person to person where they draw the lines. The good news is that means you can do your own research and decide for yourself how you want to define clean eating.
  • AmandaLou4319
    AmandaLou4319 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Avoid everything in a box :) Anything with an ingredient that you have no clue what it is.

Quaility meats, fruits and veggies :)
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    Just make a list of foods that you declare to be bad (you don't even need a reason why), and don't eat them.

Boom. You're eating clean.
  • numejak
    numejak Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Google: "5 ingredient rule"

Wash your veggies and fruits before eating - and tend to eat them raw.

Avoid sugars! Avoid "white" starches such as breads, rice, pastas and potatoes. Understand "glycemic index."

Chew your food thoroughly before swallowing! Not enough can be said about this. Mastication and salivary digestion are extremely important.

Eat when you are hungry. Don't eat just because it is time to eat, nor snack to prevent or soothe cravings. Snacking when you are not hungry will cause your insulin to spike. Along these same lines, tend to eat foods with a high glycemic index only after working out.

Get to know the "Michi's Ladder" which is easily found in a Google search. Stay on tiers 1 and 2 and occasionally 3. Avoid tiers 4 and 5 unless you do "cheat days." Remember, Tiers 1 and 2 are foods that make you healthier, Tier 3 is neutral, and Tiers 4 and 5 make you unhealthier.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Just make a list of foods that you declare to be bad (you don't even need a reason why), and don't eat them.

Yep.

I follow the five-second rule, which is my personal definition of clean eating.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Use some good soap and bleach and that will get your food very clean. :wink:

I eat all foods in moderation. See ticker below. Good luck. :flowerforyou:
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options

Yep.

I follow the five-second rule, which is my personal definition of clean eating.
    My definition of clean eating is having no cauliflower substitutes and enjoying ice cream everyday.
  • howardheilweil
    howardheilweil Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Hello friends! I hope you all are having a wonderful day.

Anyway, I want to start eating clean but I have no idea what that entails. So, for those of you who are eating clean, do you mind giving me some tips please?

Thanks!
    I am not being judgmental, just wondering... If you don't even know what "eating clean" means, why are you doing it? What do you hope to gain? Good luck!
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Theses are good:

Lots of green vegetables (keep coloured veg and fruit to minimum; they have a high sugar content)

Sweet potato, wholemeal bread, brown rice, lentils, chickpeas, mixed beans, quinoa

These are Bad:
    No sugar, chocolate (dark is ok if a little), cream, No low fat/fat free/healthy/ products

Easier said than done, takes alot of imagination, but thats a clean diet right there!

ugh... and what makes this "bad" or "unclean"?

Edit* Yea nevermind... just read some of your other posts...
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Avoid sugars! Avoid "white" starches such as breads, rice, pastas and potatoes. Understand "glycemic index."

Chew your food thoroughly before swallowing! Not enough can be said about this. Mastication and salivary digestion are extremely important.

Eat when you are hungry. Don't eat just because it is time to eat, nor snack to prevent or soothe cravings. Snacking when you are not hungry will cause your insulin to spike. Along these same lines, tend to eat foods with a high glycemic index only after working out.

Get to know the "Michi's Ladder" which is easily found in a Google search. Stay on tiers 1 and 2 and occasionally 3. Avoid tiers 4 and 5 unless you do "cheat days." Remember, Tiers 1 and 2 are foods that make you healthier, Tier 3 is neutral, and Tiers 4 and 5 make you unhealthier.

How can you avoid sugars but also recommend fruits and veggies? Hello cognitive dissonance
  • pineapple_jojo
    pineapple_jojo Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I think there might be some clean eating groups on the forums that may be able to help you.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    OP.. you're going to start a clean versus not clean war...

but the *basics* of clean eating is:
    eat things from nature not things created in a lab, in other words, no processed foods.

You'd also want to watch the meats and eggs you buy. Avoiding as much chemical laced meats and eggs as you can. Its' about not believing in "better living through chemicals". Lots of people also say avoid dairy, white foods and non-organic foods. that's an extension of it. You do want to watch out for the GMO foods, as they are chemically enhanced. A potato is not bad for you, but enriched white rice is. White bread is not good for you, but certain whole grain breads are. You have to start looking at labels, and cooking at home, There's no magic number of ingredients that makes something clean or not clean. It's about what those ingredients are. I make clean home-cooked recipes that have a ton of ingredients. That does not make them bad. It's when those ingredients consist of monoglucosimatiadditive (I made that name up fyi) that makes it not clean.

If you want to eat clean that is great. Do it for yourself because you want to embrace it, not because you think it's a magical weight loss diet. You can over eat eating clean just as easily. It's still all about portion control and making the right choices.

example: if you want peanut butter you'd get the one that is peanuts only.. no added sugar or salt.. just peanut.. or you'd buy peanuts and make it yourself.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    Theses are good:

These are Bad:

Wait Wait Wait Wait ...

Mayonnaise = Eggs and Oil (which are clean). Please explain how Mayo is unclean, then?

So like if I drizzle olive oil on some greens, now all that's unclean too?

And chocolate. Clean. And Vegan. so like Super clean.

Your list is arbitrary.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options

LOLing at all of this...now we're demonizing certain nutrient dense whole foods like colored veggies and potatoes? Sounds legit.

OP...just eat a balanced diet that is rich in nutrient dense foods...get your veg and a couple servings of fruit per day...eat some lean proteins and healthy fats and whole grains...balance all of that out and you'll have a nice nutritious diet...have some ice cream for desert if you please and it fits into your calorie goals...you'll be ok and you don't get extra credit for exceeding your nutrient requirements.
  • jenifr818
    jenifr818 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    In, because I need something more entertaining than work to keep me busy for the next couple of hours

OP: Just make sure you wash your fruits and veggies. Abide by the 5 second rule (1 second if outdoors or a city sidewalk). Wash your hands after using the restroom. That's clean enough.

In all seriousness, from what I understand, "clean eating" is sticking to the perimeter of the organic grocery store (because CHEMICALS!) and not buying anything packaged in a box. I try to eat that way most of the time (well, except for the organic stuff, because my cheap butt ain't paying that price), the rest of the time though (one meal a day on average), it's anything goes. Ice cream, chocolate, and processed crap included.
  • paleojoe
    paleojoe Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    What? Another thread about clean eating? NO WAY!
  • BenjaminMFP88
    BenjaminMFP88 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    I love reading through the advice everyone gives.

"clean eating" is difined differently by every person. We will need more specifics as to your approach before we could give meaningful advice. I will say that for me, I eat and assortment of fruits and vegetables every day, get my protein intake however I can, and enjoy whatever else I find that fits within my calories. And I have been steadily getting closer to my goals. Most recently, I reached a personal best both Deadlifts, DB Bench and lowered by BF% by another 2%.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

I find the bolded part hilarious. The recommendations here are to avoid starches such as rice and potatoes and to understand the glycemic index. Well... if someone were to actually understand the glycemic index, that person wouldn't give a blanket recommendation (especially on a "clean eating" thread) to avoid rice and potatoes.