Fast Food Workers Striking?!?!?

Options

Replies

• ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    Every job worked at full time hours should pay a living wage.

Please define "living wage"

Also, are government subsidies factored into that living wage.

Does living wage assume that you own a cell phone with a data plan and Internet access?

I'm just curious if living wage is what someone actually needs to live or more or less what they want but doesn't actually need in order to live?
  • Chain_Ring
    Chain_Ring Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    Anyone who thinks minimum wage is not MORE than a fair wage for making a big mac is a few fries short of a happy meal themselves.

BINGO
  • EMTFreakGirl
    EMTFreakGirl Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Anyone who thinks minimum wage is not MORE than a fair wage for making a big mac is a few fries short of a happy meal themselves.

A fair living wage is important to everyone, however, I find this offensive! I find it offensive that the fast food workers could potentially make more than me, a degreed paramedic (Paramedicine, BS Bio-Chem, BA Military Studies (history/poli-sci hybrid), BA English Lit and a smattering of AS/AA degrees (just for fun)) still paying off student loans and trying to live on $13/hour, at my HIGHEST paying job, out of the 4 jobs that I have. Or, more than teachers in most systems. Get an education and educate our children. Get an education and work to hold the Grim Reaper to a 'zero day.' Worth LESS than a Big Mac and fries? I just want to scream, "PRIORITIES PEOPLE!" to those threatening to strike. (getting off my soapbox now.) :blushing:
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options

Please define "living wage"

Also, are government subsidies factored into that living wage.

Does living wage assume that you own a cell phone with a data plan and Internet access?

I'm just curious if living wage is what someone actually needs to live or more or less what they want but doesn't actually need in order to live?
    I did a few posts up, and no, I don't count luxuries as being necessity to living. It means roof and food, basically. And I have no idea how American subsidies work, so, can't comment.
  • shining_light
    shining_light Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, when you agree to take a job, you also agree to take the wage. You don't accept the job at the set wage and then throw a fit about what you're getting paid. You knew that going into this.

That said, though, the companies can't accept any reduction in their already obscene profits, and so they'd raise the price of the food, which (assuming staff utilize their employee discounts and buy the food from their restaurants regularly) leaves no one better off, really.
  • djeffreys10
    djeffreys10 Posts: 2,312 Member
    Options

THIS!!!!

Yeah, who cares that a trained monkey can do the job and you have NO marketable skills whatsoever. You should make more money because you breath, damnit! [/sarcasm]

God, the entitlement some people feel is sickening. If you want to make more money, make yourself more valuable. If you are stuck earning minimum wage, news flash: YOU ARE CONTRIBUTING NOTHING WORTH MORE THAN THAT!
    I would agree, if the cost of living wasn't in such a discrepancy with the minimum wage.

When I say a living wage, I mean a wage that puts a roof over your head and food in your belly. I'm not talking about phone and tv subscriptions, internet access, iphones, cars etc.

It's not an employeers job to put a roof over your head or food in your stomach. It is an employeers job to pay their employeers at market value. And guess what...market value for a non skilled job will not put a roof over your head or food in your stomach. It is a persons job to earn that. Nobody deserves anything just because the have a talent of consuming oxygen. If you can't make enough money at McDonald's to do that, then maybe you should re-examine your life. A fast food job is not worth minimum wage. They are already over paid. If they can't support themselves on that, it's their problem. Make yourself more valuable if you want to earn more.
  • AlyssaJoJo
    AlyssaJoJo Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Pretty sure once they start making 14-15 bucks they would be making more than me, who works with medical claims. I worked fast food all through out high school, and while NO it's not as easy job as some make it seem like, I don't feel as if it's harder/more important that a lot of jobs out there who are in the 10-13 buck area. Like me, who processes medical claims. Or my bf who makes less than 14 dollars and hour painting a bunch of military parts. But hell, if they do get that raise to the full 15 bucks an hour guess I'll be quitting my job and going back into fast food! ;) The ones who can stay open that is. And the ones that don't end up shutting down due having to raise the price of everything else to make up for this.
  • FireflyJay
    Options
    This is a true thing going on today. Local and national media are touting this as a nationwide event.

Im just sad to say that we live in such an entitlement nation.

As long as Subway doesnt go on strike....the rest can suffer!

-CK

What about the companies feeling entitled not to pay a fair wage and placing the tax burden on the public to feed their workers. If a company doesn't pay a living wage its exploitation.
  • asimmons221
    asimmons221 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    It's not really so black and white, while it's just fast food , and not a trained labor I don't think 15 dollars an hour is very appropriate for their skill. Though for the people who work their 40 hours a week or more and have been delt some bad cards in their life I feel like they should be getting more. Your company should be doing their part too, and these people shouldn't have to seek government aide while working their full time. If anything they should be making 10 an hour if working full time.
  • 17ChargerGirl17
    Options

This. Cooking a Big Mac is not worth $10-15 an hour.

Fast food jobs are ment to be a first job or a stepping stone in life not a career.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    Working fast food should be a stepping stone to getting a better job... not a career position. :bigsmile:

Yeah, because everyone has that choice in life. Not.

Everybody DOES have a choice. If you are working at McDonald's when you are 40, you made that choice. We all have similar opportunities in life. If a person decides to settle on a fast food service job, but can't seem to get ahead financially, should we just give them more without earning it?

I'm personally tired of putting in 50 to 60 hours a week to support my family and then be expected to pay out more for those that refuse to work or do the bare minimum. If you can't afford the latest and greatest gadgets on your current job, move on.
  • sarahfullagrace
    sarahfullagrace Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    If these giant Fortune 500 Companies don't pay their employees a minimum living wage for full time work then we as Americans will end up picking up the bill from our taxes ie. food stamps and welfare etc.. I personally would rather have these giant companies just pay their employees a living wage so I don't have to pay them with my tax money. Maybe that's just me.
  • missability
    Options

^^^^^ This^^^^^!

There is a reason it's called an "ENTRY LEVEL" job! If you want to make more, then go to MAC U, and become a manager, asst manager, supervisor!
    People who want to do nothing, but always get more more more...is one of the BIG reasons this world is in the shape it's in!!!
    So foe everyone who is in agreement with this, no complaining when a "value meal" is $12.00 and a "Happy Meal" ain't makin you so "HAPPY" at $8 a pop!
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options

I agree.

On the other hand - if they pull it off - America will be on a diet! Good season for that. :)
  • djeffreys10
    Options
    This is a true thing going on today. Local and national media are touting this as a nationwide event.

Im just sad to say that we live in such an entitlement nation.

As long as Subway doesnt go on strike....the rest can suffer!

-CK

What about the companies feeling entitled not to pay a fair wage and placing the tax burden on the public to feed their workers. If a company doesn't pay a living wage its exploitation.

You want to open that can of worms? What about the government actually follow the constitution and not steal from me to feed someone else. I have my own family to feed. The company is entitled to pay as much or as little as they want. That's their right. The employeers are entitled to not work for said company if they feel they won't make enough. That is their right. Your argument is not a problem with the company, but rather a problem with the government.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    So people that do not require a 'living wage' should not be allowed the opportunity to work for a wage they feel fair? Say students working during the summer, teenagers still living with parents or even a currently-house wife/house husband looking for a bit of petty cash.
    Often this removes the chance to get real world experience so they can never get their feet on to the bottom of the ladder because it's already been lifted too high.

Would you be happy to pay more for your stuff to support this?
    If so; do you already offer extra cash (tips) to all such workers who serve you?
  • ObstacleRacer
    Options
    -If you work a full time job you deserve enough money to be able to live. Any business should be able to pay it's workers a salary where they aren't still considered poor. Especially when the business in question earns billions of dollars in profits.

-Workers who aren't paid enough go on public assistance. So regular tax payers have to make up their difference in salary. And businesses are fine with that. They have no problem with you paying their employees instead of them.

-Someone has to work at these jobs. Yes it would be nice if everyone could find more lucrative employment. But then who's going to serve the food?

-Fast food employees specifically are essential to the operation of the business. Not one dollar gets made without them. So why is it that they aren't deserving of a wage they can live on?
  • djeffreys10
    Options
    It's not really so black and white, while it's just fast food , and not a trained labor I don't think 15 dollars an hour is very appropriate for their skill. Though for the people who work their 40 hours a week or more and have been delt some bad cards in their life I feel like they should be getting more. Your company should be doing their part too, and these people shouldn't have to seek government aide while working their full time. If anything they should be making 10 an hour if working full time.

If anything, they should be making LESS than $7.75 an hour, because the job isn't worth that. Their outside cirmumstances is not the fault of the employeer, and it is not the employeers responsibility to remedy it. If they want to make more, make themselves worth more.
  • djeffreys10
    Options
    If these giant Fortune 500 Companies don't pay their employees a minimum living wage for full time work then we as Americans will end up picking up the bill from our taxes ie. food stamps and welfare etc.. I personally would rather have these giant companies just pay their employees a living wage so I don't have to pay them with my tax money. Maybe that's just me.

Then address the actual problem there. The government. Not the company.
  • sarahfullagrace
    sarahfullagrace Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    So the gov't should just let people starve? No way jose.