Fast Food Workers Striking?!?!?

Options

Replies

• asianmonkie
    Options
    Hmm... flipping pre-made burgers all day and pre-cut fries all day doesn't call for $15. You're right, there are not a lot of options out there but it's because of the economy. Thanks Obama =/ (That's a joke by the way for all the easily offended people). We are all struggling and it's not fair to give one group of people the upper hand just because "life is hard."
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options
    Every job worked at full time hours should pay a living wage.

This. A lot of CEO's learned how to be hard workers by working at fast food places. Anyone who does their work as the job demands deserves to be paid fairly.

Anyone can take a picture, so does that mean that the professionals who took time and money to study the art of photography and get their diploma in it shouldn't be paid more than someone with a point and shoot camera? They deserve to charge more for their services. Just because you personally have the ability to put fries in a box, doesn't mean that you would do it well or be able to handle the stress. (YES stress.. many friends worked at McDonald's and got yelled at and pushed around by managers and customers alike for things that were not their fault.)

Not only at fast food joints, but the retail industry can be extremely stressful.

Oh I know. I work retail right now. Christmas time is the absolute WORST. People become such *kitten*.

As someone who works replenishment at a craft store, I agree. I worked Black Friday and it was a chaotic and now me and the rest of the replenishment team are struggling to undo the damage that sh*thead customers did and keep doing. Is it THAT hard to put things back where you found them if you decide not to buy them? Seriously looks like a hurricane blew through the store!

What gets me are the people who put their items on candy/gum shelves that they don't want while I am ringing their other stuff out.
  • EMTFreakGirl
    EMTFreakGirl Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    This just in: https://www.facebook.com/Fightfor15
    While http://www.indeed.com/salary/q-EMT-l-Pittsburgh,-PA.html

So EMS workers in Pittsburg PA make on average $11.53/hour, but they DD workers want $15? What's wrong with this picture?

City of Pittsburgh Paramedics have a starting salary of $14.26/hour their first year on the job. After 5 years they earn $25.07/hour. The starting salary is much higher than what you claim to be the average. Some employees earn 6 figures a year after factoring in overtime.

Also Pittsburgh is spelled with an "h" at the end.

What's wrong with this picture is some people misrepresent facts.
    Really? I have been a medic for over 20 years and where I live, $13/hour is about tops, unless you are a firefighter, too! Thankfully, I care about my community and do it because it's what I've been called to do. Also, those 6 figure medics you mention...how many hours per week at how many jobs to make that? Talk about misrepresentation.
    Forgive the spelling mistake, I was typing on my way to a call on my vollie department, where I use my hundred thousand dollar education for NO pay. In what world should saving lives be valued at less than a Whopper with Cheese?
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Working fast food should be a stepping stone to getting a better job... not a career position. :bigsmile:

Yeah, because everyone has that choice in life. Not.

Everybody DOES have a choice. If you are working at McDonald's when you are 40, you made that choice. We all have similar opportunities in life. If a person decides to settle on a fast food service job, but can't seem to get ahead financially, should we just give them more without earning it?

I'm personally tired of putting in 50 to 60 hours a week to support my family and then be expected to pay out more for those that refuse to work or do the bare minimum. If you can't afford the latest and greatest gadgets on your current job, move on.
    You do realize that increasing minimum wages means that other wages increase because of it? You also realize that the REASON YOU HAVE TO PAY FOR OTHER PEOPLE is because the minimum wage isn't close to a fair living wage, and the government steps in to make up the difference? Higher minimum wage = less government assistance = YOU PAYING LESS MONEY.

Indeed. As a person with an education in Accounting with some consideration toward Economics, Finance, and general logic I don't understand how this is such a conclusional leap for people. Everyone's position is tied in with everyone elses, we are in a living economic community regardless of what your stance. I've seen people who are solely on GA and using every bit of assistance available to them, who make it their job to know the ins and outs of the system, live a better lifestyle than someone who is attempting independence from social services. Why is it such a stretch to realize that it benefits everyone to raise minimum wage so that those people making minimum wage, and working full time, are living above the poverty line. I also don't understand how it's illogical to make it a requirement that companies actually have a percentage of full time employees or full time equivalents with job sharing possible adding on benefit stypens instead of the majority of positions being full time equivalents with benefit avoidance.

Increased minimum wage in this number of jobs will also drive inflation and the cost of everything will go up, meaning if the wages for the Non-min wage earners don't do up as fast they will actually lose purchasing power. Also with higher minimum wages these companies would have to either increase prices, or layoff workers and try to do the same amount of work with less people.

However, minimum wage has not been adjusted at the same rate as the rest of the earning structure, so it's really more of an economic correction than an imbalance.
  • djeffreys10
    djeffreys10 Posts: 2,312 Member
    Options
    Something I'm amused about in this thread. The lack of logic. People working in fast food at minimum wage can't afford to even support themselves and their family. So what's the solution being suggested? Get an education. Yes, because people who can't afford to pay rent can certainly afford the thousands of dollars it takes to go to college.

tigerpalm.jpg

You are obviously unaware of how much assistance is available, and how easy it is to get, for education. Student loans are no problem if you don't qualify for anything else.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Working fast food should be a stepping stone to getting a better job... not a career position. :bigsmile:

Everybody DOES have a choice. If you are working at McDonald's when you are 40, you made that choice. We all have similar opportunities in life. If a person decides to settle on a fast food service job, but can't seem to get ahead financially, should we just give them more without earning it?

I'm personally tired of putting in 50 to 60 hours a week to support my family and then be expected to pay out more for those that refuse to work or do the bare minimum. If you can't afford the latest and greatest gadgets on your current job, move on.
    You do realize that increasing minimum wages means that other wages increase because of it? You also realize that the REASON YOU HAVE TO PAY FOR OTHER PEOPLE is because the minimum wage isn't close to a fair living wage, and the government steps in to make up the difference? Higher minimum wage = less government assistance = YOU PAYING LESS MONEY.

Indeed. As a person with an education in Accounting with some consideration toward Economics, Finance, and general logic I don't understand how this is such a conclusional leap for people. Everyone's position is tied in with everyone elses, we are in a living economic community regardless of what your stance. I've seen people who are solely on GA and using every bit of assistance available to them, who make it their job to know the ins and outs of the system, live a better lifestyle than someone who is attempting independence from social services. Why is it such a stretch to realize that it benefits everyone to raise minimum wage so that those people making minimum wage, and working full time, are living above the poverty line. I also don't understand how it's illogical to make it a requirement that companies actually have a percentage of full time employees or full time equivalents with job sharing possible adding on benefit stypens instead of the majority of positions being full time equivalents with benefit avoidance.

Increased minimum wage in this number of jobs will also drive inflation and the cost of everything will go up, meaning if the wages for the Non-min wage earners don't do up as fast they will actually lose purchasing power. Also with higher minimum wages these companies would have to either increase prices, or layoff workers and try to do the same amount of work with less people.

However, minimum wage has not been adjusted at the same rate as the rest of the earning structure, so it's really more of an economic correction than an imbalance.

Maybe so, but the consequences will be the same unless it is done over a 5-10 year period (that would mute it somewhat), instead of 1-2 large increases
  • Beastmaster50
    Beastmaster50 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    About 20 years ago, CEO's made about 10 times the salary of an average worker. Now they make close to 400 times the salary of the average worker. Something is wrong with this picture.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    I have not heard of this. I would doubt it to last long. They are unskilled labor positions, there is no union, and there are plenty of high school kids waiting to step up and replace them.

The most effective way for these people to make more money would be to take a course on anything else and find a new industry.
  • ObstacleRacer
    Options
    This just in: https://www.facebook.com/Fightfor15
    While http://www.indeed.com/salary/q-EMT-l-Pittsburgh,-PA.html

So EMS workers in Pittsburg PA make on average $11.53/hour, but they DD workers want $15? What's wrong with this picture?

City of Pittsburgh Paramedics have a starting salary of $14.26/hour their first year on the job. After 5 years they earn $25.07/hour. The starting salary is much higher than what you claim to be the average. Some employees earn 6 figures a year after factoring in overtime.

Also Pittsburgh is spelled with an "h" at the end.

What's wrong with this picture is some people misrepresent facts.
    Really? I have been a medic for over 20 years and where I live, $13/hour is about tops, unless you are a firefighter, too! Thankfully, I care about my community and do it because it's what I've been called to do. Also, those 6 figure medics you mention...how many hours per week at how many jobs to make that? Talk about misrepresentation.
    Forgive the spelling mistake, I was typing on my way to a call on my vollie department, where I use my hundred thousand dollar education for NO pay. In what world should saving lives be valued at less than a Whopper with Cheese?

Too bad about where you live. City of Pittsburgh EMS workers make much more than what you claimed.

City of Pittsburgh EMS workers earn good compensation through overtime pay. And other First Responders as well.

So you work as a volunteer, and then complain that others are paid more than you at their jobs? Everyone would have to make $0 dollars in your scenario. Good on you for volunteering, it's a noble thing. But that doesn't mean that no one else should make any money. You should probably try to work for a township that puts value on it's emergency services personnel.
  • ModernNerd
    ModernNerd Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Oh the entitlement *facepalm*

I started working when I was 13. Hit 16 and picked up a second job. I'm now 21 and working a full-time job, a part-time job and pick up as many promotional gigs as I can find in order to pay for college and work my way into a better job. No one handed me these jobs. No one had to sit me down and explain that I'm ultimately responsible for where I go in life. Luck has nothing to do with it, you MAKE your own opportunities. Derp.

Oh and ima just leave this here: http://www.forbes.com/sites/kylesmith/2013/02/21/detroit-gave-unions-keys-to-the-city-and-now-nothing-is-left/ I'm originally from Detroit and absolutely love that city. This rustles mah jimmies like you can't imagine.
  • shazzannon
    shazzannon Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Something I'm amused about in this thread. The lack of logic. People working in fast food at minimum wage can't afford to even support themselves and their family. So what's the solution being suggested? Get an education. Yes, because people who can't afford to pay rent can certainly afford the thousands of dollars it takes to go to college.

tigerpalm.jpg

You are obviously unaware of how much assistance is available, and how easy it is to get, for education. Student loans are no problem if you don't qualify for anything else.

And you are obviously unaware of how common it is to rack up thousands in student loan debt and STILL be unable to find a job that pays well. And I'm not just talking about the degrees that are essentially useless, either.
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
    ~Chinese Proverb

I'm pretty sure they taught them how to flip burgers and make fries and it's not feeding them. :laugh:
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options

Maybe so, but the consequences will be the same unless it is done over a 5-10 year period, instead of 1-2 large increases

Timing is a different discussion that requires quantitative forcasting. I agree that a sudden hike of wages for this magnitude of workers would be detrimental to an already fragile economy, however if you're going to plan an increase over a long period of time you have to forcast for the expected movement of the economy over that period of time too. Otherwise you'll still be in the same position at the end of that 5 - 10 year period where the situation is still not fully corrected.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I gotta love when a person who works a desk job gets all bent out of shape when minimum-wage part-time employees consider a strike.
  • djeffreys10
    Options

tigerpalm.jpg

And you are obviously unaware of how common it is to rack up thousands in student loan debt and STILL be unable to find a job that pays well. And I'm not just talking about the degrees that are essentially useless, either.

There is a lot to be said about being diligent with your choices, researching market demand, and picking a degree with high demand and forecasted growth.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Costco pays it's employees livable wages, their doing just fine, I'm sure a lot of bigger companies could do the same with their full time workers.

This.
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options

tigerpalm.jpg

Suggesting for anyone to go willingly into the financial shackles of Student loans is not good advice at all.

Join one of the branches of the armed forces would be better.

Getting an education is possible if you don't have a family but if you do, it is a very hard sell.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    About 20 years ago, CEO's made about 10 times the salary of an average worker. Now they make close to 400 times the salary of the average worker. Something is wrong with this picture.

No there isn't.
  • PennyM140
    PennyM140 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I gotta love when a person who works a desk job gets all bent out of shape when minimum-wage part-time employees consider a strike.

What incentive would we have to work hard to improve our lives and get better jobs if all we have to do is beg for more money to get it?
    My job is more skilled that a fast food job. I worked harder to get it and I work hard to maintain it. In my opinion, I deserve more compensation than someone who flips burgers.
    I don't have anything against anyone in a minimum wage paying job. But those jobs will always exist and someone will always need to do them. In general minimum wage jobs are for younger people as a stepping stone or older people as a supplemental income. I don't consider them a permanent career.
  • djeffreys10
    Options

tigerpalm.jpg

Suggesting for anyone to go willingly into the financial shackles of Student loans is not good advice at all.

Join one of the branches of the armed forces would be better.

Getting an education is possible if you don't have a family but if you do, it is a very hard sell.

1: Good degree without student loans > good degree with student loans > no degree without student loans.

2: I agree. And then use your g.i. bill to pay for college. Like I said, a lot of assistance available.

3: While it may be hard, it is not impossible. Things worthwhile in life are seldom easy. My first boss out of college decided he was tired of supporting his wife and kids on whatever work he could find with his high school diploma. So he went to school and went all the way through his masters in computer engineering. With a family. While it may have been hard, it was definitely worth it to improve his situation. I have another very close friend who is in his mid forties. Just finished his engineering degree this past May. Took him nine years going to school part time and working full time. But him, his wife, and his four kids (including triplets born while he was in school) will now have a much better life.

You want a better life, earn it.