Fast Food Workers Striking?!?!?

Options

Replies

• wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    So the gov't should just let people starve? No way jose.

So you view the government as your nanny. Pathetic.

i make well over minimum wage. I do not view the government as a nanny. However there are thousands of starving children and families that are already suffering with government aide. If that were taken away many would die. who do you think you are?

Well, why is any of that -my- problem?
  • PennyM140
    PennyM140 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I gotta love when a person who works a desk job gets all bent out of shape when minimum-wage part-time employees consider a strike.

What incentive would we have to work hard to improve our lives and get better jobs if all we have to do is beg for more money to get it?
    My job is more skilled that a fast food job. I worked harder to get it and I work hard to maintain it. In my opinion, I deserve more money compensation than someone who flips burgers.
    I don't have anything against anyone in a minimum wage paying job. But those jobs will always exist and someone will always need to do them. In general minimum wage jobs are for younger people as a stepping stone or older people as a supplemental income. I don't consider them a permanent career.

This is more or less the same logic that anti-vaccine people use. It's the very perks and comfort we as workers enjoy today that allow us to dismiss the hard work and tactics that got you those very perks.

No. The perks that we enjoy are because of the hard work it took to get us here. Who would endure the stress and responsibility of an advanced career if they could make the same wage at a fast food restaurant?
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I gotta love when a person who works a desk job gets all bent out of shape when minimum-wage part-time employees consider a strike.

What incentive would we have to work hard to improve our lives and get better jobs if all we have to do is beg for more money to get it?
    My job is more skilled that a fast food job. I worked harder to get it and I work hard to maintain it. In my opinion, I deserve more money compensation than someone who flips burgers.
    I don't have anything against anyone in a minimum wage paying job. But those jobs will always exist and someone will always need to do them. In general minimum wage jobs are for younger people as a stepping stone or older people as a supplemental income. I don't consider them a permanent career.

This is more or less the same logic that anti-vaccine people use. It's the very perks and comfort we as workers enjoy today that allow us to dismiss the hard work and tactics that got you those very perks.

No. The perks that we enjoy are because of the hard work it took to get us here. Who would endure the stress and responsibility of an advanced career if they could make the same wage at a fast food restaurant?

You completely missed the point. You worked hard, yes. But there are a lot of people in minimum wage jobs that have worked much harder than you.

The perks you enjoy aren't due just to your hard work. They are in large part due to the hard work of the people that came before you and set up the system in a way beneficial to you and provided you with significant developmental advantages.
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    There in entitlement at play here. It's just the opposite of what everyone is claiming.

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/business/jan-june13/makingsense_06-21.html

It's a very good study. Especially the tests done with a Monopoly board game. Two players, one given a bunch of advantages and the other not. (One player gets to roll 2 dice, the other just one; The player rolling 2 dice starts with $2,000, the other $1,000; the advantaged player made more money for passing go, etc.)

In the study it showed that players with all the advantages, that were given to them randomly and not in any way earned, felt they deserved to win. Even though the game was completely rigged in their favor they felt they won through their own hard work.

People here are no different, raised with every advantage they still want to look down on others for not being as well off as they are. Completely disregarding that the biggest advantage they've received is the pure luck of where they were born and to how well off a family they were born into.

Everyone knows experimental economics as a field is a bunch of Hokus Pokus! It was created to help pot heads who like to say "what if" a lot remain in academia.
  • wiscck
    wiscck Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Fast food and other minimum wage jobs are meant for high school and college students to earn a bit of spending money while their parents pay for all of their big expenses, which is why fast food restaurants and retail stores are only open after school, on weekends, and during school holidays.

I'm trying to tell if you're joking...not easy online. I really hope you are.
    Yes, I am.
  • djeffreys10
    djeffreys10 Posts: 2,312 Member
    Options

i make well over minimum wage. I do not view the government as a nanny. However there are thousands of starving children and families that are already suffering with government aide. If that were taken away many would die. who do you think you are?

"I don't view the government as a nanny, but here is why I think the government should be a nanny."

I don't have to think who I am, I know excatly who I am. Someone who has my own family to support, and is tired of having the money I earn stolen and redistributed. And before you start with the bleeding heart "what if you lost your job and needed it" bs, I would gladly sign away any right to ever get any government wellfare in exchange for not having my salary stolen to fund it. It is amazing how many of lifes storms I could much more easily weather with that money, MY MONEY, in my savings account as a hedge against hard times.
  • ObstacleRacer
    Options

Because you are not an island. You are a member of society.

You have enjoyed the perks provided to you by others and should do your part to help others as you've been helped.

Because people tend to not starve quietly.

This "Let them eat cake" argument that some of you are making has been tried before. The poor and elderly were left to die in the streets. Thankfully society has advanced since then. Shame on you for wanting to go backwards.
  • EMTFreakGirl
    EMTFreakGirl Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    This just in: https://www.facebook.com/Fightfor15
    While http://www.indeed.com/salary/q-EMT-l-Pittsburgh,-PA.html

So EMS workers in Pittsburg PA make on average $11.53/hour, but they DD workers want $15? What's wrong with this picture?

City of Pittsburgh Paramedics have a starting salary of $14.26/hour their first year on the job. After 5 years they earn $25.07/hour. The starting salary is much higher than what you claim to be the average. Some employees earn 6 figures a year after factoring in overtime.

Also Pittsburgh is spelled with an "h" at the end.

What's wrong with this picture is some people misrepresent facts.
    Really? I have been a medic for over 20 years and where I live, $13/hour is about tops, unless you are a firefighter, too! Thankfully, I care about my community and do it because it's what I've been called to do. Also, those 6 figure medics you mention...how many hours per week at how many jobs to make that? Talk about misrepresentation.
    Forgive the spelling mistake, I was typing on my way to a call on my vollie department, where I use my hundred thousand dollar education for NO pay. In what world should saving lives be valued at less than a Whopper with Cheese?

Too bad about where you live. City of Pittsburgh EMS workers make much more than what you claimed.

City of Pittsburgh EMS workers earn good compensation through overtime pay. And other First Responders as well.

So you work as a volunteer, and then complain that others are paid more than you at their jobs? Everyone would have to make $0 dollars in your scenario. Good on you for volunteering, it's a noble thing. But that doesn't mean that no one else should make any money. You should probably try to work for a township that puts value on it's emergency services personnel.

I actually work FOUR jobs to make rent. I'm not arguing that the minimum wage doesn't need to be raised, my argument is in the thought that fast food workers should make more money than a teacher or an EMT. And forgive me for asking, but where did you get your data? I just pulled up a salary study. No, I don't trust everything I read on the internet, but it was a simple salary study on the average pay of people performing an essential function in the same geographical area of the striking fast food workers. Average means that there will be people making more and people making less. (I learned that in my statistics class in college.) You should do a little research and see just how much "value" any community puts on emergency services personnel. Unless you are attached to a paid fire department, NO government in the United States considers EMS an essential function. Not a misrepresentation. JEMS and the NAEMT are pushing this issue right now. Let's see now, which is MORE essential; an ambulance with trained personnel rushing to your home when your child stops breathing, or that Big Mac and Fries you are craving for lunch?
    Have a nice day.
  • wheird
    Options

You completely missed the point. You worked hard, yes. But there are a lot of people in minimum wage jobs that have worked much harder than you.

The perks you enjoy aren't due just to your hard work. They are in large part due to the hard work of the people that came before you and set up the system in a way beneficial to you and provided you with significant developmental advantages.

Yeah, in terms of working hard, I worked much harder at Subway than I do at my current company. It isn't a good metric to use.
  • wiscck
    wiscck Posts: 185 Member
    Options

Because not caring about other people is a sign of a sociopath.
  • kgbenny
    kgbenny Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have nice things because I worked for them.

The flip side of this is that you probably had to work considerably less for those things than many other people would have to. In other words, it discounts the enormous advantage things like skin color, socioeconomic status as a child, and early childhood education probably gave you. Some 20 year old minority whose mother was a crack addict and got basically no education in elementary school or high school has a much, much, much tougher road than some suburban middle class white girl who went to a decent school.

While that may be true for an average middle-class white woman, this comment is off-base. The color of my skin does not tell you much about my past and my upbringing. I'd advise you to pause before making your generalizations and think through your statements carefully. Financial struggles can apply to all races, genders, and backgrounds.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

The flip side of this is that you probably had to work considerably less for those things than many other people would have to. In other words, it discounts the enormous advantage things like skin color, socioeconomic status as a child, and early childhood education probably gave you. Some 20 year old minority whose mother was a crack addict and got basically no education in elementary school or high school has a much, much, much tougher road than some suburban middle class white girl who went to a decent school.

While that may be true for an average middle-class white woman, this comment is off-base. The color of my skin does not tell you much about my past and my upbringing. I'd advise you to pause before making your generalizations and think through your statements carefully. Financial struggles can apply to all races, genders, and backgrounds.

I didn't mean to imply you were the middle class girl who went to a decent school. I was using that as an example.

That being said, the color of your skin does confer an economic advantage, whether you want to admit it or not.
  • ModernNerd
    ModernNerd Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Something I'm amused about in this thread. The lack of logic. People working in fast food at minimum wage can't afford to even support themselves and their family. So what's the solution being suggested? Get an education. Yes, because people who can't afford to pay rent can certainly afford the thousands of dollars it takes to go to college.

tigerpalm.jpg

You are obviously unaware of how much assistance is available, and how easy it is to get, for education. Student loans are no problem if you don't qualify for anything else.

And you are obviously unaware of how common it is to rack up thousands in student loan debt and STILL be unable to find a job that pays well. And I'm not just talking about the degrees that are essentially useless, either.

There is a lot to be said about being diligent with your choices, researching market demand, and picking a degree with high demand and forecasted growth.

And I agree wholeheartedly with that. But not every person is suited for the jobs that are in demand. I hate math, for example, so engineering and finance (two jobs that are conceivably always in demand) are not something I could/would pursue. Does that mean I should be regulated to fast food/hospitality? Of course not. I researched my degree and the required further education (MS,PhD etc) needed to get the job I want. I'm not in it for the money, necessarily. I just want a job that I actually enjoy and feel useful in doing. Both parents work at jobs they despise so that their kids wouldn't have to. Spoiler alert: they both currently do. My brother recently graduated from his sheet metal apprenticeship and makes as much as my husband, who is a pharmacist. The only difference is that one of them is 150 grand in debt and the other isn't.

So the implication is that your husband shouldn't have pursued pharmacy, a field that is absolutely critical, because it took hard work and money?

I hate math too, shucks not many people love it. But I'm decently good at it and understand that working in the engineering industry puts my talents in the best possible arena to help people. If I could make as much flipping burgers as I could as an engineer, would I bail on engineering because it was easier? Absolutely not.

Just mah $0.02 :flowerforyou:
  • ObstacleRacer
    Options
    There in entitlement at play here. It's just the opposite of what everyone is claiming.

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/business/jan-june13/makingsense_06-21.html

It's a very good study. Especially the tests done with a Monopoly board game. Two players, one given a bunch of advantages and the other not. (One player gets to roll 2 dice, the other just one; The player rolling 2 dice starts with $2,000, the other $1,000; the advantaged player made more money for passing go, etc.)

In the study it showed that players with all the advantages, that were given to them randomly and not in any way earned, felt they deserved to win. Even though the game was completely rigged in their favor they felt they won through their own hard work.

People here are no different, raised with every advantage they still want to look down on others for not being as well off as they are. Completely disregarding that the biggest advantage they've received is the pure luck of where they were born and to how well off a family they were born into.

Everyone knows experimental economics as a field is a bunch of Hokus Pokus! It was created to help pot heads who like to say "what if" a lot remain in academia.

Sometimes I forget that the "I worked hard all on my own to get where I am!" crowd often overlaps with the "I don't need no fancy book learnin'!" crowd.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    This just in: https://www.facebook.com/Fightfor15
    While http://www.indeed.com/salary/q-EMT-l-Pittsburgh,-PA.html

So EMS workers in Pittsburg PA make on average $11.53/hour, but they DD workers want $15? What's wrong with this picture?

City of Pittsburgh Paramedics have a starting salary of $14.26/hour their first year on the job. After 5 years they earn $25.07/hour. The starting salary is much higher than what you claim to be the average. Some employees earn 6 figures a year after factoring in overtime.

Also Pittsburgh is spelled with an "h" at the end.

What's wrong with this picture is some people misrepresent facts.
    Really? I have been a medic for over 20 years and where I live, $13/hour is about tops, unless you are a firefighter, too! Thankfully, I care about my community and do it because it's what I've been called to do. Also, those 6 figure medics you mention...how many hours per week at how many jobs to make that? Talk about misrepresentation.
    Forgive the spelling mistake, I was typing on my way to a call on my vollie department, where I use my hundred thousand dollar education for NO pay. In what world should saving lives be valued at less than a Whopper with Cheese?
    The average wage for an EMT increased by over $6,000/year between 2001 and 2008, meanwhile yearly minimum wage workers saw in increase of $1,000 per year. I'm not saying people should be getting paid ridiculous amounts of money, but wage increases should be comparable and tied to the cost of living, not just left to stagnate while the cost of living increases.
  • PSULions2008
    Options
    They are just mad that self serving kiosks will be doing their jobs pretty soon. And at least they won't mess up your order.
  • kreene1987
    kreene1987 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    In the free market, people generally are paid what they're worth, based on the value they add to the business.
  • wheird
    Options

Because you are not an island. You are a member of society.

You have enjoyed the perks provided to you by others and should do your part to help others as you've been helped.

Because people tend to not starve quietly.

This "Let them eat cake" argument that some of you are making has been tried before. The poor and elderly were left to die in the streets. Thankfully society has advanced since then. Shame on you for wanting to go backwards.

Yes, I enjoy the same perks of society that most others do. That does not impart any responsibility on me for my neighbor against my will. It should not be forced upon me to care for anyone that is not my own responsibility. Which means I am against government redistribution of wealth, not charity on the individual level.
  • wheird
    Options

Because not caring about other people is a sign of a sociopath.

Are you insinuating that I am a sociopath?
  • kgbenny
    kgbenny Posts: 15 Member
    Options

I didn't mean to imply you were the middle class girl who went to a decent school. I was using that as an example.

That being said, the color of your skin does confer an economic advantage, whether you want to admit it or not.

They're correlated. I will agree with that. It's unfortunate.