Clean Eating

Options

Replies

• redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    From my understanding clean eating means eating nothing processed or any animal products as they aren't clean at all. But everyone here interprets it differently.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    Clean defined: Just picked up 4 duck legs and thighs vacuumed packed and after taking them out, they were beautifully packaged and no further processing of the surfaces were needed. Then I used an ounce of salt, some whole pepper and thyme rubbed throughout, stuck in the fridge for 24 hours then rinsed. Submerged in duck fat at 250 degree's for 4 hours. That's clean. Now if I didn't rinse them.........then all bets are off and I would have considered that, dirty bird.
  • laurelobrien
    laurelobrien Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    "clean" is incredibly subjective. do you mean home-cooked? organic-only? LOCAL-only? If you say "oh, I don't eat processed food" - just about everything is 'processed'. Blending your food is processing, and so is cooking it. I think you just need to do your own research on different foods, additives, processing methods, etc and decide how 'clean' you want to eat. Personally, I try to cook my food at home using whole foods where possible, but will slip in something premade or that has some dubious ingredients for the sake of a tasty dinner. I also still eat out.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    And wow. Why all the hostility?

I just wanted to gain a general idea of where to begin and see how you guys do it. There's really no need for smart *kitten* answers.

Because as soon as someone mentions clean eating the IIFYM crowd comes out in full force to defend their diet.. it's silly really. No one has to agree with your choices. Just do what is right for you, what helps you reach your goals, in a healthy way and ignore the haters. :~)

Do you know what IIFYM is? Because it sounds like you really don't.

sigh. i do. but i'm not getting into this again.
    And for those who are for it, many (many, many) definitions of it.

I think we should start naming the variations of it like vegetarians do. Like one name for clean eaters, another for clean sans dairy another for organic clean eater.. etc.. lol it's just the label they object to and the lack of a "proper" definition really. since most of those who speak out against it really eat clean and then throw in doritos or snickers occasionally. Supposed to support each other, not shame each other for choosing to eat a certain way. Esp when that chosen path is a healthy one.
    even nutrient dense whole foods like colored veggies.
    I believe the whole "avoid white food" thing came about long before clean eating was anything. I remember in highschool girls telling me that potatoes are unhealthy and to avoid them. I don't eat white rice because it's bleached, stripped of it's nutrients and then the nutrients are added back in, has nothing to do with color. I'll eat a potato sometimes because they are from nature. Nothing wrong with them, except they are a starch and sometimes you need to cut back on how many starchy veggies you eat.

It was right here in this thread though...some clean eater actually demonizing veggies that have color like red bell peppers and such because of sugar. Demonizing food in general is ridiculous...but demonizing nutrient dense whole foods is like epic ridiculousness.

Also, if you understood IIFYM you would understand that you don't just eat all the potatoes...they wouldn't fit into your macros...so yes...you would have to cut back on starchy veggies to fit your macro requirements...but not because potatoes are the devil.

Yes, these are the so-called "clean" eaters that get "eaten up" by IIFYMers. Demonizing whole foods that are unprocessed, no "chemicals" added, etc. is called orthorexia.

I don't know where I demonized food or said that iifym means only eating potatoes, or that you even eat or do not eat potatoes? They were just an example. But irregardless of that.. There are people in every diet that are extreme, that doesn't make the diet bad, just the one personal interpretation of it. (ya know, like when someone thinks iifym means you eat junk food all day long and i'm sure there are some out there who do). And saying one or two food items are bad, for whatever reason you have to label them that way, is quite a jump to suggest orthorexia. I don't understand why the question can't just be answered. Here is what clean eating is, so what if she gets 25 different answers. I have yet to meet 2 vegetarians who eat exactly the same diet? What I really don't understand is clean eating, however it is defined, is a healthy good way to eat. But it's not for everyone. So if it's not for you, then great, don't follow it. but why discourage others who want to eat that way, and are able to, from it? I'm happy for the whole lot of you who eat whatever you feel like. that's all a sustainable diet is right? Eating what you like, what you feel like and what works for your health goals?
  • mungowungo
    mungowungo Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I once met a woman that actually did wash meat before she cooked it. At the time I thought to myself how very strange but I would have never said anything to her about it because that would have been very, very rude of me.

Poor OP asked a simple question - the thing is everyone has a different take on what clean eating is. Basically it seems to boil down to what you personally want to make it - some prefer to go the organic/free range/grass fed way (but not everybody can afford to do this - such products are generally pricey) - others cut out dairy- others only have raw milk - others cut sugar - others cut out canned foods - others anything GMO, etc etc

I think clean eating can be as simple as home cooking - just making a meal from scratch with whatever meat, vegetables you like / have. I think it is more about being more conscious about what you are choosing to fuel your body with and making a personal decision to avoid overly processed foods - the way you decide to apply this is up to you.

I eat meat, fish, chicken, vegetables, fruit, nuts, real butter, eggs, cheese, yoghurt, have coffee with milk and sugar, have chocolate every so often and I just ate an icecream. I just spent a month not eating wheat because I wanted to see if that made a difference to my health and decided that I can take or leave bread.

Last week I went shopping and took my daughter to McDonalds - I had a burger and swapped the fries for a garden salad and had a bottle of water instead of coke because that's what I felt like eating and I felt better about making that choice - a choice which also allowed me to eat dinner that night and still stay within my calorie budget. Did I feel deprived because I didn't eat deep fried potato sticks with a heap of salt on it - no. I prefer my potatoes roasted in their skins with a dollop of sour cream or natural yoghurt with some chives and freshly ground black pepper and too much salt makes me retain fluid anyway.

I don't think that clean eating has to be about deprivation - and it could even include pizza - home made freshly baked pizza with mushroom, tomato, onion, capsicum, bacon,prawns, olives, anchovies and mozzarella cheese is to die for - whereas, for me at least with the frozen pre-packaged ones I might as well eat the cardboard box.

Well that's my take on clean eating. OP I hope this helps you.
  • KiaraStill
    Options
    each person has their own perception about eating clean, you probably also know what to avoid (bad for health) and what do you get for your body. in terms of goodness, fruits and vegetables are very important
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    Options
    How are you able to include ice cream every day!!?? I definitely need that secret in my life! lol Is there something else that you have to completely cut out? Please let me know!

I maintain an reasonable calorie goal, meet my nutrition and macronutrient needs during the day, and then sometimes have ice cream at night with my leftover calories. other times it's bourbon. I know, how unclean of me. I actually do eat about 80% "clean" (dependent entirely on your personal definition of "clean") but the majority of people who follow IIFYM do as well.

^This. And why is ice cream so "unclean"? I mean really. Here's the list of ingredients from one of my favorites - Haagen-Dazs Cappucino Gelato -

skim milk, cream, corn syrup, sugar, egg yolks, coffee, pectin. contains: milk and egg ingredients

Or Talenti Gelato Double Dark Chocolate

milk, sugar, chocolate, cream, eggs, dextrose, cocoa, vermouth, carob gum, soy lecithin, vanilla

Are all of those ingredients in their natural state?

Cooking eggs takes them from their natural state so those aren't clean...which means OMG, RUNNNNN!!!! Right?

Edited to correct typo

No, but you already knew that. Cooking is not an igredient.

If that were true (cooking = not clean) how would running help? Exercise off the bad stuff?

Huh? What are you even talking about now?

You said cooked eggs weren't clean, which means run. I can't figure out how running fits in.

as in run away, don't go near it, not actually go out running
  • Arbeidslyst
    Options
    Theses are good:

Chicken Breast, Lean steak, pork, turkey
    Salmon, cod, haddock, tuna, trout, scallops, prawns

Lots of green vegetables (keep coloured veg and fruit to minimum; they have a high sugar content)

Sweet potato, wholemeal bread, brown rice, lentils, chickpeas, mixed beans, quinoa

mustards, spices, chillis, herbs, olives

Olive oils, nut oils, fruit oil

These are Bad:
    No sugar, chocolate (dark is ok if a little), cream, No low fat/fat free/healthy/ products
    No ketchup, mayo, dressing or oil/sugar based sauces (packet sauces)
    No Ice Cream or full fat milk.

Easier said than done, takes alot of imagination, but thats a clean diet right there!

Wait Wait Wait Wait ...

Mayonnaise = Eggs and Oil (which are clean). Please explain how Mayo is unclean, then?

So like if I drizzle olive oil on some greens, now all that's unclean too?

And chocolate. Clean. And Vegan. so like Super clean.

Your list is arbitrary.

Thank you for pointing this out, my rage would have made it much less polite and involved me suggesting intercourse between poster and a close family member.
  • Arbeidslyst
    Options
    I don't have ice cream every day, mostly because it's really cold right now, but the way to fit it in is to use a scale and practice portion control.
  • Arbeidslyst
    Options
    -if it has more than five ingredients, you should probably avoid it. also, if the ingredients are too long or hard for you to pronounce, get rid of that

-avoid processed foods

-just because something is "low-fat" does not mean it is healthy. it could have a high sugar content. just make sure you do the math when reading labels

-READ LABELS

-eat as many fresh fruits and veggies as you want!

So people with speech impediments don't get to eat anything? How about chemists, do they get to eat everything?
  • calliekitten9
    calliekitten9 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Wow...I bet the OP had no idea the discussion she just stepped into. Sometimes I think these questions are best addressed sending the person to one of the groups that support whatever type of eating she/he wants to follow. Posting on these forums will always lead to pages and pages of debate/discussion...but carry on. :)
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Wow...I bet the OP had no idea the discussion she just stepped into. Sometimes I think these questions are best addressed sending the person to one of the groups that support whatever type of eating she/he wants to follow. Posting on these forums will always lead to pages and pages of debate/discussion...but carry on. :)

You say that like it's a bad thing.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    And wow. Why all the hostility?

I just wanted to gain a general idea of where to begin and see how you guys do it. There's really no need for smart *kitten* answers.

Because as soon as someone mentions clean eating the IIFYM crowd comes out in full force to defend their diet.. it's silly really. No one has to agree with your choices. Just do what is right for you, what helps you reach your goals, in a healthy way and ignore the haters. :~)

Do you know what IIFYM is? Because it sounds like you really don't.

sigh. i do. but i'm not getting into this again.
    And for those who are for it, many (many, many) definitions of it.

I think we should start naming the variations of it like vegetarians do. Like one name for clean eaters, another for clean sans dairy another for organic clean eater.. etc.. lol it's just the label they object to and the lack of a "proper" definition really. since most of those who speak out against it really eat clean and then throw in doritos or snickers occasionally. Supposed to support each other, not shame each other for choosing to eat a certain way. Esp when that chosen path is a healthy one.
    even nutrient dense whole foods like colored veggies.
    I believe the whole "avoid white food" thing came about long before clean eating was anything. I remember in highschool girls telling me that potatoes are unhealthy and to avoid them. I don't eat white rice because it's bleached, stripped of it's nutrients and then the nutrients are added back in, has nothing to do with color. I'll eat a potato sometimes because they are from nature. Nothing wrong with them, except they are a starch and sometimes you need to cut back on how many starchy veggies you eat.

It was right here in this thread though...some clean eater actually demonizing veggies that have color like red bell peppers and such because of sugar. Demonizing food in general is ridiculous...but demonizing nutrient dense whole foods is like epic ridiculousness.

Also, if you understood IIFYM you would understand that you don't just eat all the potatoes...they wouldn't fit into your macros...so yes...you would have to cut back on starchy veggies to fit your macro requirements...but not because potatoes are the devil.

Yes, these are the so-called "clean" eaters that get "eaten up" by IIFYMers. Demonizing whole foods that are unprocessed, no "chemicals" added, etc. is called orthorexia.

I don't know where I demonized food or said that iifym means only eating potatoes, or that you even eat or do not eat potatoes? They were just an example. But irregardless of that.. There are people in every diet that are extreme, that doesn't make the diet bad, just the one personal interpretation of it. (ya know, like when someone thinks iifym means you eat junk food all day long and i'm sure there are some out there who do). And saying one or two food items are bad, for whatever reason you have to label them that way, is quite a jump to suggest orthorexia. I don't understand why the question can't just be answered. Here is what clean eating is, so what if she gets 25 different answers. I have yet to meet 2 vegetarians who eat exactly the same diet? What I really don't understand is clean eating, however it is defined, is a healthy good way to eat. But it's not for everyone. So if it's not for you, then great, don't follow it. but why discourage others who want to eat that way, and are able to, from it? I'm happy for the whole lot of you who eat whatever you feel like. that's all a sustainable diet is right? Eating what you like, what you feel like and what works for your health goals?

What's the point of answering a question if there is no right answer?
  • calliekitten9
    calliekitten9 Posts: 148 Member
    Options

You say that like it's a bad thing.
    I don't think it is bad at all...just probably going in a direction that the OP wasn't expecting. Truthfully, i enjoy the Clean Eating discussions because I always learn things. I have a friend who swears by Whole 30. Not my thing, but I can respect if it works for him.
  • KnM0107
    KnM0107 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    All I have gotten from this thread is that "clean eating" means whatever someone wants it to mean and there are still people out there who can't understand what IIFYM is about. People can eat what they please. I will continue to be myself without categorizing foods as "clean" and "dirty". Good luck to the rest. I think the forums are more for entertaintainment than anything else.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    **snipped***

What's the point of answering a question if there is no right answer?

ha.. well then half the questions posed would never get answered. Especially when it comes to health and nutrition. Whats right for you is not necessarily right for me. The basic of it are pretty much universally accepted. It's when you get into the details that the differences arise. Pretty much anyone who tries to explain clean eating is says, no processed foods, no pre-made foods, no food with lots of additives and chemicals. The rest is all personal preference. Just like i'm sure there is one food that you do not eat intentionally, because you do not like it, for whatever reason you want to give.
  • numejak
    numejak Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    In...

...for processed sugar = bad, except fruit sugar = good.

(Later - request chemical composition of each.)

FIFM.

So, how does "processed sugar" differ from "fruit sugar" to your body? I mean, at a molecular level, what are the substantial differences?

Your opinion on these questions is fine, but it would be awesome if you could provide some science with it.

Thanks in advance.

Ok, no problem. But if you disagree further, please provide "science" to back up your opinion as well.

REFINED (PROCESSED) SUGARS:
    The problem with refined sugar -- and the reason it contributes to obesity and chronic diseases -- is its fast rate of metabolism, lack of healthy nutrients and inability to make you feel full. Sugar comes from sugar cane, yet extreme refinement has eliminated all of the fiber and plant nutrients. Refined sugar is quickly broken down into glucose and fructose. The increase in glucose spikes insulin and blood sugar levels, giving you a quick surge of energy. If you do not use this energy immediately, your body may turn it into fat. Fructose is metabolized in your liver and is absorbed at once, increasing fat cell production and workload on your liver. The quick digestion of refined sugar prevents fullness even after you eat a calorie-rich chocolate bar, leaving you hungry.

FRUIT:
    Fruit contains many benefits compared to refined sugar. Besides being rich in antioxidants, phytonutrients, vitamins and minerals, fruit is an excellent source of fiber. The presence of fiber in fruit determines what happens to fruit sugars in your body and how quickly they are broken down in your gastrointestinal tract. Unlike refined sugar, fiber in fruit expands in your gut, making you feel full. Fiber is the biggest secret as to why fruit sugars are not as dangerous as refined sugar, preventing the sugars from being rapidly broken down and stored.

I see your sfgate.com article (http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/body-process-fruit-sugars-same-way-refined-sugar-8174.html) and raise you an MFP thread that addressed this very article: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/572481-natural-sugar-vs-refined-sugar

To quote MFP user yarwell (because I like to give proper attribution in my quotes):
    the link makes assertions without backing them up, the glucose and fructose from a sucrose molecule grown in sugar cane or sugar beet is the same as that from the sucrose in an orange or other fruit, or the glucose and fructose in fruits.

So if you have an issue with say fructose and its mechanics in the body, then that applies to fructose whatever the vehicle, to quote Lustig. We seldom encounter fructose on its own, or indeed sugar, so one should look at meals rather than molecules.

Fruit comes with some fibre and a few vitamins but broccoli etc have a lot more.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1017237-so-what-s-with-this-sugar-then-faq

That second thread is full of all kinds of sciency stuff too.

So, OP, regarding sugars, make your own call. It is a touchy and controversial subject as you can clearly see by all the differing views. I am not a nutritionist, nor a healthcare provider. If you asked 3 different such experts, you would likely get 3 differing opinions as well. For me, I know I feel much better eating complex carbs in lower proportions to my proteins and fats. I think more clearly and am more alert, motivated and emotionally balanced. When I eat simple carbs, refined sugars and processed crap foods I feel like crap both physically, mentally, and emotionally. Do I live by this 100%? No. I don't live and die by avoiding "bad" sugars and carbs. But, this is "clean eating" to me, though obviously not the case for everyone. In the end you must find what works well for you.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    All I have gotten from this thread is that "clean eating" means whatever someone wants it to mean and there are still people out there who can't understand what IIFYM is about. People can eat what they please. I will continue to be myself without categorizing foods as "clean" and "dirty". Good luck to the rest. I think the forums are more for entertaintainment than anything else.

And with this, you have achieved enlightenment grasshopper! :wink:
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    nutrient dense whole foods

Probably the simplest, most generalized definition you'll find. People who try to "eat clean" strive to make each food choice as nutritious as possible. To the average person trying to eat clean, "clean eating" is more of a guideline than a set of rules. Most people who idealize this concept will still include foods that they don't consider optimal from a nutrient perspective because of other factors (cravings, enjoyment, you're going to die someday no matter what, social events, willpower break down.) I don't spend a lot of time thinking about it. I don't consider myself a clean eater, I consider myself someone who does better when eating clean. (If the Supreme Court can know obscenity when they see it, I can know what works for me and not worry about it since I'm not telling anyone else what to do.) For me, besides "nutrient dense whole foods," clean would most simply mean foods that I select for a primary reason other than taste. If I eat some soy ice cream or tater tots, it's for the pleasure, no other reason. If I eat some broccoli, it's primarily for the nutrition and taste is secondary. If I hate something, I don't care how nutritious it is, I won't eat it (artichokes, I'm looking at you.)

People who are die hard eat clean won't include most foods that aren't the "nutrient dense whole foods." They are likely to care about organic etc.

It's very individual. The "cleaner" I eat, the better I adhere to my macros. It's easier from a nutrition and satiety point of view and I seem to do better psychologically. I don't feel guilty when I eat some ice cream, but I find my overall cravings increase. If I'm not eating foods that are commonly accepted as dessert items (we are picky on this site with terminology) , I tend to crave fruit for my sweet fix.

For many other people, it works the opposite. Their cravings are better managed by having moderate amounts of desserts or whatever more often. It depends on your macro needs too. A body builder guy is going to have a need for more of everything than I do. If I could fit a pint of ice cream into my macros every day without my overall nutrition suffering, I would, clean or not, because I'd be adequately nourished. In reality, for me, if I eat a pint of ice cream, one of my macros is going to suffer. It doesn't mean I don't do it sometimes. But clean eating definitely helps me hit my macros best.

So you have to figure out which one you are. But whatever you do, eat ALL the colors of the fruits and vegetables. Including white. I cannot disagree more strenuously with the advice to avoid them.