How come models never lift heavy ?

Options

Replies

• douceurdevivre
    Options
    "Perfect" is a super-subjective term.

There's a whole magazine industry of air-brushed pictures out there giving both men and women unhealthy and fictional paradigms. There are plenty of split pictures available online to show how photoshopped these pictures are.

I guess the magazines aren't peddling fit/healthy/strong yet. So the majority of joe/jane public doesn't identify with it as an ideal. Times and tastes change, so maybe this will too, who knows?

OP: you need to come to terms with how this has all been skewed and presented to you. There are no objectively "perfect" people. Only people who you may happen to find "perfect" given your personal taste and cultural environment.

I'm mostly talking about how the media portrays them. I don't think such models are perfect, my preferences are different and I wouldn't want to be that thin. I do admire how lean they are, though.

Also, not every single image of them is photoshopped. There are videos, candids, and such. Can't photoshop everything.

And for the record, I already have a thigh gap and I couldn't care less about it. I'm not aspiring to look like a model. I just want thinner legs because now, my upper body is disproportionately thin compared to my lower body. That's all.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    As far as your legs being thinner, lower your bodyfat, but some people just happen to hold more muscle/fat in their legs, and a "thigh gap" is genetic. I am generally bigger on the bottom, so instead of being upset that I don't have thin legs, I've worked my *kitten* off (or on) in the gym to shape them and turn my legs and butt into the thing that most of my friends envy and comment on. If you want to "slim down" change your diet and lower your body fat, that simple. Lifting heavy and eating a calorie surplus everyday is going to lead to a weight gain, in addition not getting enough protein in your diet isn't ideal for muscle growth and repair. I haven't looked at your diary so I have no clue what your diet looks like, but really, hit your calorie goals and macros and give it 8-12 weeks, take pictures and measurements and watch your body change.

I've been lifting for far more than 8 weeks, I am eating at a deficit, watching my macros and aiming for a protein-based diet. As a result, I've lost body fat (I'm at 17%) and I am now the proud owner of a skeletal upper body, ribs instead of boobs and abs (despite never having done an abs exercise in my life, lol), while my legs are confortably covered in a layer of fat and saddlebags. It's frustrating as hell and it's making me wonder if I should continue weightlifting at all. That's why I'm wondering if perhaps that high rep, low weight workout would leave me better off and slim down my legs or not.

Right,

I've just checked out your photos. You do not have "saddlebags" if those pics are representative of your current bf%. I would suggest becoming more comfortable with your body and stop trying to compare it to a fiction from a magazine.

You do realise that high rep/low rep is mostly meaningless in the context of a calorie deficit - you're just retaining lbm and losing fat (assuming your diet's in check, of course). You may as well stick with low rep and get stronger in a deficit, because you sure as hell won't be building muscle.
  • callie006
    callie006 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    As others have said, it's pretty much diet and not exercise for these models, and they are very, very light, like 110 lbs and very tall. Also, most of them, whatever their shape, have relatively long legs vs being long waisted. That makes a big difference. Even when I had "model measurements" (34-23-24) my legs did not look very skinny like that because they are relatively short.
  • SapiensPisces
    SapiensPisces Posts: 992 Member
    Options
    This would be worth watching just to see exactly what these girls do to look like they do: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hW_AVPy_VeA

While I think the VS angels are beautiful, they do not look like that all year round.
  • clareyoung80
    clareyoung80 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    As far as your legs being thinner, lower your bodyfat, but some people just happen to hold more muscle/fat in their legs, and a "thigh gap" is genetic. I am generally bigger on the bottom, so instead of being upset that I don't have thin legs, I've worked my *kitten* off (or on) in the gym to shape them and turn my legs and butt into the thing that most of my friends envy and comment on. If you want to "slim down" change your diet and lower your body fat, that simple. Lifting heavy and eating a calorie surplus everyday is going to lead to a weight gain, in addition not getting enough protein in your diet isn't ideal for muscle growth and repair. I haven't looked at your diary so I have no clue what your diet looks like, but really, hit your calorie goals and macros and give it 8-12 weeks, take pictures and measurements and watch your body change.

I've been lifting for far more than 8 weeks, I am eating at a deficit, watching my macros and aiming for a protein-based diet. As a result, I've lost body fat (I'm at 17%) and I am now the proud owner of a skeletal upper body, ribs instead of boobs and abs (despite never having done an abs exercise in my life, lol), while my legs are confortably covered in a layer of fat and saddlebags. It's frustrating as hell and it's making me wonder if I should continue weightlifting at all. That's why I'm wondering if perhaps that high rep, low weight workout would leave me better off and slim down my legs or not.

And that's totally my body too. I've had collar bones and a visible rib cage for ages, despite having plenty of chub on my belly, butt and thighs... But it's just how my body stores fat, and if I want slimmer thighs then I'm just gonna have to take the fact that my rib cage will show.

However, building muscle can help with those 'skeletal' areas and balance things out.
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    A large portion of it is genetics and body type. I have skinny legs. I've always had skinny legs. I have the thigh gap the teens are dreaming of. I don't do anything to have that, it's just there, always has been, my family says I have chicken legs.

My daughter is 6' but she has large hips and thighs. Always has had. She's athletic, fit and low BF% but she's never going to have skinny legs. Her cousin is the same height and has the build of the VS models. You stand them side by side and you have two totally different people just based on genetics. Neither of them work at having their "look", it just happened.

You make the best of what you have. Dress to accentuate your positives and be your best you. Don't waste your youth trying to look like someone else.

This, absolutely.
  • Rosannajo88
    Rosannajo88 Posts: 212 Member
    Options

Im just a little worried about you being "a proud owner of a skeletal upper body and ribs instead of boobs"? You really shouldnt be aiming for body fat any lower than 17%, you currently have the same body fat as most athletes. Are you wanting to be healthier or skinnier?
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    You have absolutely nothing posted in your diary - food or exercise. At least not for the past few weeks. After a few weeks, I didn't bother looking anymore.

My guess? And it's only a guess, since there's no evidence, you're doing something completely wrong with regards to your food, exercise, or both.

As such, what does your lifting routine look like? How much (and what, I suppose) are you eating?
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

And that's totally my body too. I've had collar bones and a visible rib cage for ages, despite having plenty of chub on my belly, butt and thighs... But it's just how my body stores fat, and if I want slimmer thighs then I'm just gonna have to take the fact that my rib cage will show.

However, building muscle can help with those 'skeletal' areas and balance things out.

I feel like several rounds of cutting and bulking will help push the general body fat down- and evens people out a little more. But I could just be musing random useless thoughts.

(I am bottom heavy as well- and I'm assuming that after 2 rounds of actual forced cut/bulk- my legs WILL get more definition... but it's a fight- no question about it)
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Lol @ the idea that the workouts listed in Shape magazine actually represent what the models actually do or eat. Almost every word in those mags is a fiction created by a PR person to portray a certain image.

Anyhoo, you're comparing people that are genetically gifted to look a certain way to people that aren't. Models are born, not created in a gym. They may eat and train in a way that maximizes their genetics but it wasn't exercise that made them 6 feet tall with short muscle bellys.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I've just checked out your photos. You do not have "saddlebags" if those pics are representative of your current bf%. I would suggest becoming more comfortable with your body and stop trying to compare it to a fiction from a magazine.
    I agree. You look pretty much like you've got 99% of this 'ideal body' you aspire to, and the other 1% is genetics. And that's what you see is the 1%.
  • Barbellgirl
    Barbellgirl Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    To the OP. It's part body type, part genetics, and the rest is diet and exercising to meet your goals. The VS models have what some describe as an ectomorph body type, which is naturally taller and slender. You have that body type and so do I. You look beautiful right now. If your goal is to look more like a VS model then you probably don't need to focus on lifting heavy. Our muscles respond to resistance, even walking, running,yoga and Pilates provides resistance. Body weight exercises are amazing for providing an amazing sculpted strong body.

I personally prefer looking more like a fitness model so I'm eating at a surplus and lifting heavy four days a week. The drawback to the ectomorph body type is that we can actually have a hard time putting on muscle, which is what I'm dealing with right now.

Like others have said, you are beautiful right now, you actually already look like a VS model. Just exercise in the way that provides the results you want. But in your desire to become better, never stop loving and appreciating who you are right now.
  • clareyoung80
    clareyoung80 Posts: 177 Member
    Options

I feel like several rounds of cutting and bulking will help push the general body fat down- and evens people out a little more. But I could just be musing random useless thoughts.

(I am bottom heavy as well- and I'm assuming that after 2 rounds of actual forced cut/bulk- my legs WILL get more definition... but it's a fight- no question about it)

I agree! I'm on a general first 'cut' right now. Then after that, some gentle bulking and cutting next year and we'll see where I stand.

Though...will building up my chest muscles take the edge off my ribcage? (That's a weird sentence...)

I've found it more preferable to find inspirational pictures on Tumblr and Pinterest of people who are cut but also have generally bigger thighs.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I want to have thin legs; which kind of exercises should I do ? And how come those women look so perfect despite never lifting heavy (which supposedly is the one and only way to get lean according to all the fitness enthusiasts on the internet) ?
    You have two options, be re-born in a VS model's body.

Get a REAL idea of body image and stop expecting to look like an airbrushed model. This my issue with most fashion models, people want to look like them and destroy their OWN beauty trying to achieve the look of something that is just not genetically possible, unless you are a cartoon.
  • MissKitty9
    MissKitty9 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Honestly? All the photoshop you guys are talking about is just used to make VS models appear softer, with more even skin, sometimes a fake-looking background. Sometimes they change the colors of the *kitten* they're wearing. The retouching DOESN'T alter their bodies that much. Sorry if that makes everyone feel bad, but that's what it is: http://jezebel.com/5951863/when-perfect-isnt-enough-the-unretouched-images-victorias-secret-doesnt-want-you-to-see/

It IS genetics. These women are built tall, much taller than the average woman, & they are thin. They'd be "skinny fat" I guess, if they didn't eat right & work out, but the reality is that it's MOSTLY genetics.

And OP, if you're "skeletal" up top, & still thicker on the bottom, that's just how your body works. You carry more fat on your bottom & legs. If you want to try the more reps, lower weight thing, by all means go for it, but don't fool yourself into thinking your legs will get super lean like VS models.

I'm sure you are beautiful as you are; just focus on being healthy & working with your body :smile:
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    apparently, VS models, which are hailed as being the most perfect bodies on Earth and the absolute ideal, never ever touch any weights.

I disagree with this statement. I do NOT think they are the perfect bodies. Skinny legs and arms are not "perfect" to me. I want to see muscle definition, and size. There isn't just one definition of "perfect". Everyone has their own opinion.

Also they probably do touch weights.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Your legs aren't fat, and your upper body isn't "skeletal." You may need to see a therapist, because you have obvious body dysmorphia issues.
  • Marcia315
    Marcia315 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Meh. I see a Victoria's secret model and I want to feed her a cheeseburger. I don't think it looks healthy.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Thanks, dear <3 I don't wanna look like a VS model, I just want slightly thinner legs and I don't know how to achieve that.

Calorie deficit.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Hello, everyone. I have a dilemma: apparently, VS models, which are hailed as being the most perfect bodies on Earth and the absolute ideal, never ever touch any weights.

*Your* ideal maybe. VS models are not my absolute ideal. Everyone has different preferences for their bodies.

Some things to consider:

1. VS models (and all models really) probably do have some genetic component that helps them stay so lean.
    2. They have very low body fat percentages. This can be achieved through strict dieting. I guess if my livelihood depended on it, I might want to keep a very low body fat percentage too.
    3. They still get airbrushed and photo shopped - even VS models don't look like VS models.
    4. They lower their body fat before runway shows and photo shoots - most of them don't stay that way year round.

Instead of trying to be a VS model, why not try to be the best version of *you* that you can be? If you want to have slimmer legs, you need to lose fat. Eat at a moderate deficit, do some exercise you enjoy, and be patient.