How come models never lift heavy ?

Options

Replies

• SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Who says they don't lift? I'm honestly curious, since it's not that frequent that I see a workout routine of theirs listed.

I would think it's very possible they lift, even if it's not super heavy. Most of them have cute little booties.
  • S3r3knitty
    S3r3knitty Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I agree with all the others. It's mainly genetics. If I gain weight it's first in my thighs so that's were I carry any excess fat too and I tend to get quickly cellulities when I am at the end of my bmi even in my early twenties. Additionaly I have muscular legs. I learned to accept that I will never have skinny legs instead my goal is to get them shapely :)

My mom on the other hand is 55 and has amazing legs. Never had cellulities and they were thiner than mine even when she was overweight. I would love to have her legs. For that she carries any excess weight in her stomach while I have a comparably tiny waist.

ETA to add: Just checked out your pictures and one word: Beautiful. If I had met you no way in hell would I have thought you have big legs probably more the opposite, they look amazing.

More ETA. I also read you are 20. Ten years ago I was also unhappy with a lot of things of my body and omg I was so unsecure because you can see all this perfect pictures in the magazines and although I knew that this look is not possible for everyone it still affected me. I don't know when it happened but I learned to love the good things about my body and not to hate the others. I also learned that most men to not see VS models as "perfect" and actually are much more attracted to "normal" women and there is a wide varitation of attributes they are attracted too. I have mostly male friends and probably know more than I want to in this regard :laugh:. Btw I'm 31.
  • MissKitty9
    MissKitty9 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Honestly? All the photoshop you guys are talking about is just used to make VS models appear softer, with more even skin, sometimes a fake-looking background. Sometimes they change the colors of the *kitten* they're wearing. The retouching DOESN'T alter their bodies that much. Sorry if that makes everyone feel bad, but that's what it is: http://jezebel.com/5951863/when-perfect-isnt-enough-the-unretouched-images-victorias-secret-doesnt-want-you-to-see/

It IS genetics. These women are built tall, much taller than the average woman, & they are thin. They'd be "skinny fat" I guess, if they didn't eat right & work out, but the reality is that it's MOSTLY genetics.

And OP, if you're "skeletal" up top, & still thicker on the bottom, that's just how your body works. You carry more fat on your bottom & legs. If you want to try the more reps, lower weight thing, by all means go for it, but don't fool yourself into thinking your legs will get super lean like VS models.

I'm sure you are beautiful as you are; just focus on being healthy & working with your body :smile:

Quoting myself for a second to change my last sentence, having JUST looked at your pictures--- you ARE beautiful as you are; gorgeous, actually. I don't see the "bottom heavy" thing you're talking about at all. Relax, relax, relax!!
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Your legs aren't fat, and your upper body isn't "skeletal." You may need to see a therapist, because you have obvious body dysmorphia issues.

A slightly less gentle version of what I was peddling.... but essentially on the money. If the OP's photos are current and what she's talking about, then there's something going on upstairs rather than downstairs....
  • husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    When you're young I absolutely believe you can get away with light weights and cardio only to achieve a toned look. But anyone who has let their fitness lag after 30 probably needs to lift heavier in order to regain/retain muscle mass.

I would never have a VS body type, or a ballet body type. My torso is too long and my legs too short. I'm also short waisted with very broad shoulders. While I have small bones if you look at my wrists, my rib-cage is huge. At any rate, I might be able to starve myself somewhat slimmer, but honestly, I'd probably look ridiculous and definitely nothing like a VS model.

We must work with what we have and accept and cherish it. I don't think you can fool genetics much. I do the exact same workout as my aerial peers. The girls from ballet backgrounds, the long lean ones with beautiful lines, may be just as strong as I am, do just as many pull-ups, but we're built completely different.

I do see the OP is 20. At nearly twice her age, I'm much more accepting of what I was born with, and working toward the best possible version of me. I wish I'd had this type of acceptance when I was younger. I would have been much happier.
  • afat12
    afat12 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Models are of a certain body type. They eat and train to maintain a certain look. Most can only do it for a few years, then they "retire."

If you're not that body type, nothing you do will make you look like that. So, the best alternatve for the rest of us is to build lean muscle mass that gives us functional strength so we can live healthy lives.

You're also touching on another point: Perfect vs Progress. Are you going to quit because you can't obtain perfection? Or are you going to strive for progress and see that as your definition of success?

Very insightful. I agree. It is very, very hard to maintain that model body too but that is what they are paid to do.
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    Honestly? All the photoshop you guys are talking about is just used to make VS models appear softer, with more even skin, sometimes a fake-looking background. Sometimes they change the colors of the *kitten* they're wearing. The retouching DOESN'T alter their bodies that much. Sorry if that makes everyone feel bad, but that's what it is: http://jezebel.com/5951863/when-perfect-isnt-enough-the-unretouched-images-victorias-secret-doesnt-want-you-to-see/

The retouching doesn't alter their bodies that much . . . . no, it doesn't. But it does conceal the real appearance of low body fat; eliminating wrinkles that wouldn't be there with more subcutaneous fat, for example. No one is arguing that VS models are actually quite ugly and then 'shopped to be pretty.

"I'm sorry if that makes you feel bad."
  • TriShamelessly
    TriShamelessly Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    We all have that one friend who eats whatever her or she wants as well as double the calories of everyone else but somehow manages to stay thin even with minimal, half-assed exercise. Genetics. :mad:

There are very few special flowers in this world (absent a medical condition). There are plenty of threads on here discussing the laws of thermodynamics and how they apply to all of us, even VS models. Thus, I will agree to respectfully disagreee.
  • BattleTaxi
    BattleTaxi Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Stop being a victim to marketing and you won't have this internal dilemma of what's right and wrong for your body. Those models portray 'what men want' in commercials that are intended to sell their product.

Men (and women) don't have a specific preference to a body type that requires you to be borderline anorexic. The only thing those commercials show that is realistic is the confidence the women have. Confidence = Awesome
  • douceurdevivre
    Options
    Im just a little worried about you being "a proud owner of a skeletal upper body and ribs instead of boobs"? You really shouldnt be aiming for body fat any lower than 17%, you currently have the same body fat as most athletes. Are you wanting to be healthier or skinnier?

That was sarcasm, being skeletal is the last thing I want to be. I just want to be proportional. Not skinnier, I just want to gain some in my upper body and lose the fat in my lower body, lol.

Right,

I've just checked out your photos. You do not have "saddlebags" if those pics are representative of your current bf%. I would suggest becoming more comfortable with your body and stop trying to compare it to a fiction from a magazine.

I beg to differ. If these are not saddlebags, then what are they ? Inesthetic deposits of fat.

https://31.media.tumblr.com/6ae8d9275506e2aa82a5c74512856856/tumblr_mxe2fhopLk1qzd8cbo2_r1_500.jpg
    Instead of trying to be a VS model, why not try to be the best version of *you* that you can be? If you want to have slimmer legs, you need to lose fat. Eat at a moderate deficit, do some exercise you enjoy, and be patient.

For the last time, I don't want to look like a VS model. And I am at 17% body fat and already eating at a deficit (1500-1700 cals per day). A body fat% lower than that is unsustainable in the long term, I'm not aspiring to reach 10% or anything and neither do I want to be super skinny.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I agree! I'm on a general first 'cut' right now. Then after that, some gentle bulking and cutting next year and we'll see where I stand.

Though...will building up my chest muscles take the edge off my ribcage? (That's a weird sentence...)

I've found it more preferable to find inspirational pictures on Tumblr and Pinterest of people who are cut but also have generally bigger thighs.

yes- it should definitely help- the thing about cutting and bulking is it creates a trend line- toward a goal- and the law of averages win- so right now you have low body fat- lower muscles- and thicker presumably fattier thighs- as you go through some cycles- you'll fight for low body fat MORE muscle- and more muscular thighs.

And YES- people who are cut SHOULD have thicker bigger legs!! We've all seen chicken legged dudes walking around. the only reason VS models don't look ridiculous with those tiny chicken legs is because they have tiny chicken arms. (that's not body shaming- it's reality) if they had normal female upper bodies- can you imagine how ridiculous their legs would look.

We as society has a completely unreasonable expectation of what proportions are ment to be- anyone ever hear of the Golden Mean? It's the ratio the Greeks applied to the human body- our lower bodies make up 70% of our structure- it's half and half split is NOT normal. which cracks me up that people only want to do legs ONCE A WEEK.

Are you serious?

YES you should have strong solid legs- NO they are not going to be twigs. Take a look at pro's or physic/figure girls (or men) and professional armature or big time atheletes they have SOLID legs- and I bet you very few of them have 'thigh gap"

Our legs are our foundation. They help us hunt- stalk and and flee. There is no evolutionary reason to have thin tiny legs.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    For the last time, I don't want to look like a VS model. And I am at 17% body fat and already eating at a deficit (1500-1700 cals per day). A body fat% lower than that is unsustainable in the long term, I'm not aspiring to reach 10% or anything and neither do I want to be super skinny.

so question... what exactly IS your goal- since you put this big premise about what looks "perfect up" then spend the next 2 pages telling us that's not what you want.

I'm not trying to be mean- I swear- but let's get REALLY specific here.
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    What kind of models are you reffering to there are plenty of Models that lift heavy pick up any fitness magazine you will see plenty. Some are bulked up and some have very nice toned body.
  • feltlikesound
    feltlikesound Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I could likely look substantially more like a VS model (....but shorter) if I had the money and privilege to have meals designed or even made for me, access to ANY fitness facility or trainer I desired, and if my entire livelihood revolved around it. I mean, if you are a professional athlete you dedicate your day to fitness and that sport -- you don't have to work 9-5 then cram the gym in before or after, the gym IS the 9-5. I assume as a model your lifestyle is defined by caring for your body every day.

I have a similar reaction when people wonder why they can't lose weight like competitors on shows like the Biggest Loser -- the short answer is you probably have a life, and obligations. You aren't taking months off of work, away from family, etc. for your time to be solely dedicated to weight loss (or fitness). We all wish there was more time in the day to work towards those goals, but really you need to find a balance you can live with, realistically. Maybe the results won't be spot-on perfect, or your preconceived idea of perfect, but c'mon...life's too short to lose sleep because your bone structure doesn't allow for thigh gaps.
  • SkinnyFatAlbert
    SkinnyFatAlbert Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    apparently, VS models, which are hailed as being the most perfect bodies on Earth and the absolute ideal

Hailed by VS through years of marketing across all types of media with the one specific goal of getting women to spend more money on a product which they could probably by for less other places. You don't make money off people by telling them they're perfect like they are. You do it by giving them a hole in their lives and telling them to fill it with products.
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    Hello, everyone. I have a dilemma: apparently, VS models, which are hailed as being the most perfect bodies on Earth and the absolute ideal, never ever touch any weights. Their workouts seem to consist of cardio, stretches, pilates and endless leg raises, lunges, and what have you, all performed at most with very light ankle weights. Meanwhile, the internet claims that weightlifting and squatting heavy are THE way for women to achieve that beautiful toned look. I'm on the lifting heavy side, but so far, while my strength is increasing, I still have saddlebags and my legs are chunkier than ever. I want to have thin legs; which kind of exercises should I do ? And how come those women look so perfect despite never lifting heavy (which supposedly is the one and only way to get lean according to all the fitness enthusiasts on the internet) ?

because genetics!
  • Barbellgirl
    Barbellgirl Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I looked at your pictures again and had another thought I wanted to share. You could always do some shoulder and lat exercises to make your shoulders and back wider which will balance your lower body. If you'd like to talk more just PM me. I can show you what I'm doing and my progress so far in that same area.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options

And that's totally my body too. I've had collar bones and a visible rib cage for ages, despite having plenty of chub on my belly, butt and thighs... But it's just how my body stores fat, and if I want slimmer thighs then I'm just gonna have to take the fact that my rib cage will show.

However, building muscle can help with those 'skeletal' areas and balance things out.

I feel like several rounds of cutting and bulking will help push the general body fat down- and evens people out a little more. But I could just be musing random useless thoughts.

(I am bottom heavy as well- and I'm assuming that after 2 rounds of actual forced cut/bulk- my legs WILL get more definition... but it's a fight- no question about it)

This is why I bulked as well. And for me instead of having a skeletal upper body in order to get thin thighs, I'd rather have thick thighs and a normal upper body. Which do people see more of, more often?
  • douceurdevivre
    Options
    I'm sorry if I made it sound like VS models are perfect or an ideal worth aspiring to (my comment in the beginning about being hailed as perfect was referring to the media hype surrounding them, not to my personal preferences). The purpose of this thread was to discuss which method is best for slimming down, not to talk about models. I'm sorry for my poor choice of vocabulary ~