How come models never lift heavy ?

Options

Replies

• geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    Your legs are already very thin in this photo. In fact, the likely reason they aren't "lean" despite being about 17% body fat is because you don't have much muscle mass to provide that lean appearance. To appear lean, you need to have adequate muscle volume occupying space under the skin in combination with low body fat.
    I beg to differ. If these are not saddlebags, then what are they ? Inesthetic deposits of fat.

https://31.media.tumblr.com/6ae8d9275506e2aa82a5c74512856856/tumblr_mxe2fhopLk1qzd8cbo2_r1_500.jpg
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Your legs are already very thin in this photo. In fact, the likely reason they aren't "lean" despite being about 17% body fat is because you don't have much muscle mass to provide that lean appearance. To appear lean, you need to have adequate muscle volume occupying space under the skin in combination with low body fat.
    I beg to differ. If these are not saddlebags, then what are they ? Inesthetic deposits of fat.

https://31.media.tumblr.com/6ae8d9275506e2aa82a5c74512856856/tumblr_mxe2fhopLk1qzd8cbo2_r1_500.jpg

Good advice!
  • fitfreakymom
    fitfreakymom Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    They're not of a different body type than the rest of the world. Some are pear shaped, like me, some have other shapes, and so on. But all of them are very lean (and many have been so for decades, not just for a few years). My point is, why does the internet place so much importance on lifting heavy when apparently you can get super lean by just doing lunges and leg raises and lots of cardio with high reps and very low weights ? Women are told that lifting heavy with low reps is the best thing ever, but apparently it's possible to do the exact opposite and be lean too. I'm really confused and I don't know who to believe.

This kind of workouts are the exact opposites of my squats and deadlift sessions, yet she is a lot leaner than I've ever been lifting weights. So why bother with weights when apparently the secret to success are some ankle weights ? She and I have the same body shape, yet she seems to be getting better results by NOT lifting heavy.

http://www.shape.com/fitness/workouts/victorias-secret-butt-workout

http://www.express.co.uk/life-style/health/443073/Train-like-an-angel-Victoria-s-Secret-beauty-Candice-Swanepoel-shares-her-workout-routine

That is their bodies and this is yours, totally different people they have dietitians and trainers and people telling them they need to look a certain way or not work. Not to mention the lighting, oils , lotions and spray on tans and makeup play a part in what you see on the stage and confidence that they appear to have. If you want to do just cardio and lunges etc then do it and see where it gets you if you want to lift heavy weights then go for it and see where that gets you. It is your body and you can play around with your workouts and find out what gets you the results you want and if you don't like those results then change it up.
  • Cheri_Moves
    Cheri_Moves Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    C479BC61-A3FD-47EB-A5A6-91C8BBB13A88.jpg

Celebrities that DO lift. And look hot. (And IMO, vs models are all thin and wafiesh because, well, genetics. That's why they can stay thin and look like that all the time.)
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    OP: All I know is that wanting to look like someone else is not healthy. It takes you off your path and devalues the hard work you've done so far. I want to look like the best me and that's what I work toward.

I completely disagree with this. Physical appearance is one of many human attributes. If it is ok to emulate other people's ambition or drive or altruism or education, it is also perfectly ok to emulate their physical fitness and/or physical appearance.
    I completely disagree with this. Be the best YOU possible and compete with yourself... take measurements, set goals, whether it is going farther or increasing weight or reps...reach your potential by challenging yourself

you will never be someone else, so stop trying....you can admire them, but do not compare yourself to them.
  • douceurdevivre
    Options

Her goal is to get someone to agree that a barbie workout is what she needs. She's close, but I don't think anyone has yet.

What's up with the *kitten* response ? Like I need to prove to you that I lift heavy enough or some ****. The point of this topic was to discuss if high reps with little weights can be as effective as weightlifting in terms of fat loss. Unfortunately, due to my poor choice of language, people understood that I wanna look like a VS model/that I think they're perfect and now you're throwing in this nonsense that I'm secretly craving a barbie workout. To be honest, I absolutely hate cardio and lifting makes me feel really, really happy, so why would I be seeking someone's approval that I need a barbie workout ?
  • Vincentsz
    Vincentsz Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Because they are starving to DEATH!
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I'm kind of like you.. When I lose weight it tends to come off the top end first.. But the bottom catches up eventually until it's all proportional. Give it some time.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    Because they are starving to DEATH!

VS lingerie models are starving to death? No, they are not. This way of thinking is actually pretty ignorant. The VS models are very healthy and not too thin. They are lingerie models (not high fashion models). Yes, in some of the photoshopped photos they can look too thin. On the runway they are not "starving to death". They may be more slender than what you find appealing, but that's not the same as starving to death. They have a job that requires a specific lifestyle and aesthetic. And they go on a competition style diet and workout routine some months before the Christmas runway show. They are also tall, which makes them appear even more slender in the legs.
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Hey, seriously, you're a beautiful girl, and you figure suits you really well. I wouldn't sweat the "saddle bags"... I see what you're talking about but I don't see why they are a concern... it looks like woman to me.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options

Her goal is to get someone to agree that a barbie workout is what she needs. She's close, but I don't think anyone has yet.

What's up with the *kitten* response ? Like I need to prove to you that I lift heavy enough or some ****. The point of this topic was to discuss if high reps with little weights can be as effective as weightlifting in terms of fat loss. Unfortunately, due to my poor choice of language, people understood that I wanna look like a VS model/that I think they're perfect and now you're throwing in this nonsense that I'm secretly craving a barbie workout. To be honest, I absolutely hate cardio and lifting makes me feel really, really happy, so why would I be seeking someone's approval that I need a barbie workout ?

Dunno. But the sticky point here is thin legs. The VS models (pretty much all runway models) want thin legs - well, their employers want them to have thin legs. As in, no quad/hamstring development. Once you make that choice, you're kinda stuck with barbie workouts, since the alternative is a bro workout, which is completely inappropriate for their objectives.
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options
    I don't know if anyone posted this OP, and I wish I had gotten here sooner with this link, but check this out:

http://bretcontreras.com/how-to-attain-a-slender-look-like-jessica-alba-zoe-saldana/

I think that may have more of the info you are looking for. good luck!
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Miranda Kerr apparently did weight training. I don't know how heavy those weights are in the pic, but they don't appear to be Barbie weights..

http://www.handbag.com/life/news/a429124/miranda-kerr-pushes-her-weight-training-before-victorias-secret-show.html
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options

Some people are talking about heavy weights, low reps or light weights, high reps.

You can also lift moderate weight, moderate reps.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    I don't know if anyone posted this OP, and I wish I had gotten here sooner with this link, but check this out:

http://bretcontreras.com/how-to-attain-a-slender-look-like-jessica-alba-zoe-saldana/

Yeah, I shared that also.
  • douceurdevivre
    Options

Yeah, I shared that also.

A very interesting link, thank you !
  • juliewatkin
    juliewatkin Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I sympathize with the saddlebag issue. I'm quite slim and small boned but I retain fat in the saddlebaggery region. In my case, it is highlighted by cellulite. I just got over it. I've been (probably am) sub 20% bf, I lift competitively and they're still there. Unless I have photoshop or a surgeon, they are here to stay.

Like another poster suggested, if you are after proportion, work on your back. I have broader shoulders and wider lats and they contribute to the appearance of an hourglass figure and a small waist which is good since I have zero boobs to assist with that illusion.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Maybe Miss America winner might help - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfnyBOpCZOU

And yes, she plugs a different logging site at the end. Sorry MFP.
  • progressnotperfection84
    Options
    And now I'm off to have a sammich in honor of all those starving VS models.