Juice Cleanse?

Options

Replies

• Kadoober
    Kadoober Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    " While you can't sit down and eat a bunch of kale. You can juice a bunch and reap all the nutrition from it."

I sit down and eat a bunch of kale about once a week. Sauteed, with garlic, shallots and olive oil. It's delightful.

Should I be standing when I eat the kale?
  • adamalle
    adamalle Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Man I love these threads.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    OK. I am going to do it even though it won't render the results I'm hoping for, then I can post a thread about how to do damage control. I didnt bother to read anything but the couple posts agreeing with me. I will let you all know that you were right when i figure it out on my own.

I'm not listening LA-LA-LA-LA-LA-LA-LA-LA-LA.

FTFY
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    I think a juice cleanse is a great idea. If you own a juicer, it will not be costly at all. You can get great benefit from juicing. While you can't sit down and eat a bunch of kale. You can juice a bunch and reap all the nutrition from it. I juice on occasion (never tried a total juice cleanse, not disciplined enough) and notice my skin is much healthier looking. I older, so anything that helps get the nutrition to the system, I'm willing to try. Another thing, juicing will provide a break to the digestive system to help rid your system of toxic waste. Digestion uses a lot of energy which is why many feel sluggish after a large meal. My suggestion would be to use mainly vegetables because they don't have the carb spike that fruits have, nor the sugar content. Try reading books by Joel Fuhrman. He's great! And maybe watch "Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead", a testimony to a juice fast. All the best to you!

*headdesk* *headdesk* *headdesk* *headdesk* *headdesk* *headdesk* *headdesk* *headdesk* *headdesk*

What toxin are you ridding your system of??? WHICH ONE??? WHAT IS ITS NAME?!!??/?doubleslash??/

And why do you think your digestive system needs a break? We don't take breathing breaks...or heart pumping breaks. Well, I mean, sometimes we do...but those are Bad Things. Very Bad Things.

Testimony to a juice fast? You mean, infomercial, right?

*ragequits*

I'm not surprised by your negativity. I see from your profile - you don't like people.... As americans, we consume a lot of food, more than average. And, a lot of foods with chemical additives, artificial flavoring, and crap no one can pronouce, let alone spell. I could go on but I'm not here to write a book. All of which must go through your digestive tract. Some of it never leaves the body, instead lining the walls of the intestines with putrid waste. Then there is that old saying "You are what you eat." There are several signs of people with bad diets (overweight, acne, pertruding bellies, redness in the eyes, smell, etc.). So why wouldn't a good diet, including juicing do a body well?

So name one. Any one. And how exactly does a "cleanse" eliminate them? And what scientific study has confirmed this?

I've done my homework and I'm satisfied. Now do yours....
    So, you got nothin'.
    Oh, and I've done my homework. Lol
  • SashaFarrelly
    Options
    You won't get many "real life experiences" from people on here concerning a juice fast because most of us have done the research and come to the conclusion that juice fasting is a dumb idea.

This^^
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    I think a juice cleanse is a great idea. If you own a juicer, it will not be costly at all. You can get great benefit from juicing. While you can't sit down and eat a bunch of kale. You can juice a bunch and reap all the nutrition from it. I juice on occasion (never tried a total juice cleanse, not disciplined enough) and notice my skin is much healthier looking. I older, so anything that helps get the nutrition to the system, I'm willing to try. Another thing, juicing will provide a break to the digestive system to help rid your system of toxic waste. Digestion uses a lot of energy which is why many feel sluggish after a large meal. My suggestion would be to use mainly vegetables because they don't have the carb spike that fruits have, nor the sugar content. Try reading books by Joel Fuhrman. He's great! And maybe watch "Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead", a testimony to a juice fast. All the best to you!

*headdesk* *headdesk* *headdesk* *headdesk* *headdesk* *headdesk* *headdesk* *headdesk* *headdesk*

What toxin are you ridding your system of??? WHICH ONE??? WHAT IS ITS NAME?!!??/?doubleslash??/

And why do you think your digestive system needs a break? We don't take breathing breaks...or heart pumping breaks. Well, I mean, sometimes we do...but those are Bad Things. Very Bad Things.

*ragequits*

I'm not surprised by your negativity. I see from your profile - you don't like people.... As americans, we consume a lot of food, more than average. And, a lot of foods with chemical additives, artificial flavoring, and crap no one can pronouce, let alone spell. I could go on but I'm not here to write a book. All of which must go through your digestive tract. Some of it never leaves the body, instead lining the walls of the intestines with putrid waste. Then there is that old saying "You are what you eat." There are several signs of people with bad diets (overweight, acne, pertruding bellies, redness in the eyes, smell, etc.). So why wouldn't a good diet, including juicing do a body well?

*sigh*

I...

I just...

*sigh*

I can pronounce all of the words in the food I eat. I can spell most of them too. As far as I can tell, there is no correlation between the dangers of a substance and the ease with which it is pronounced or spelled. (Arsenic is a fairly simple word. So is mercury.)

Have you ever seen a video of a colonoscopy? I have. There is nothing permanently lining the walls of your intestines. If there is, you have a medical issue that needs to be addressed urgently and will not be remedied by the food and drink you consume. Yes, "you are what you eat" because the bulk of what you consume fit nicely into categories called macronutrients that serve as the building blocks for your body.

I don't dispute that we consume things that are potentially toxic (if in a sufficient dose). I dispute that juicing does anything to eliminate them any more than our bodies will do without the juice. And I contend that being at a healthy weight is infinitely more important to health than the supposed benefits of juicing.

Best of luck to you with all your fitness and health goals. :flowerforyou:

ETA: I'm done. Hey, mmapags, you want to take it from here?
    Gotcha covered pal. The bro/no science s strong with this one!
  • dirty_dirty_eater
    dirty_dirty_eater Posts: 574 Member
    Options

Another graduate of the Monty Python School of Logic and Funny Walking. I believe it's drawn from the lesson taught below:

BEDEVERE: Quiet! Quiet! Quiet! Quiet! There are ways of telling whether she is a witch.
    VILLAGER #1: Are there?
    VILLAGER #2: Ah?
    VILLAGER #1: What are they?
    CROWD: Tell us! Tell us!…
    BEDEVERE: Tell me, what do you do with witches?
    VILLAGER #2: Burn!
    VILLAGER #1: Burn!
    CROWD: Burn! Burn them up! Burn!…
    BEDEVERE: And what do you burn apart from witches?
    VILLAGER #1: More witches!
    VILLAGER #3: Shh!
    VILLAGER #2: Wood!
    BEDEVERE: So, why do witches burn? [pause]
    VILLAGER #3: B–… ’cause they’re made of… wood?
    BEDEVERE: Good! Heh heh.
    CROWD: Oh yeah. Oh.
    BEDEVERE: So, how do we tell whether she is made of wood?
    VILLAGER #1: Build a bridge out of her.
    BEDEVERE: Ah, but can you not also make bridges out of stone?
    VILLAGER #1: Oh, yeah.
    RANDOM: Oh, yeah. True. Uhh…
    BEDEVERE: Does wood sink in water?
    VILLAGER #1: No. No.
    VILLAGER #2: No, it floats! It floats!
    VILLAGER #1: Throw her into the pond!
    CROWD: The pond! Throw her into the pond!
    BEDEVERE: What also floats in water?
    VILLAGER #1: Bread!
    VILLAGER #2: Apples!
    VILLAGER #3: Uh, very small rocks!
    VILLAGER #1: Cider!
    VILLAGER #2: Uh, gra– gravy!
    VILLAGER #1: Cherries!
    VILLAGER #2: Mud!
    VILLAGER #3: Churches! Churches!
    VILLAGER #2: Lead! Lead!
    ARTHUR: A duck!
    CROWD: Oooh.
    BEDEVERE: Exactly. So, logically…
    VILLAGER #1: If… she… weighs… the same as a duck,… she’s made of wood.
    BEDEVERE: And therefore?
    VILLAGER #2: A witch!
    VILLAGER #1: A witch!
    CROWD: A witch! A witch!…
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    If you have been sprayed by a skunk I hear tomato juice will cleanse the smell fairly well..

otherwise drink water and eat fiber (greens).. viola cleansed the right way.

ETA: I LOVE MONTY PYTHON!!! LOL!!
  • Kadoober
    Kadoober Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Off topic, kinda.

On Saturday I saw two little boys walking down the street together, dressed as King Arthur and his beloved Patsy. They were about 9, 10 years old. It made my whole day.

The end.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options

*ragequits*

So name one. Any one. And how exactly does a "cleanse" eliminate them? And what scientific study has confirmed this?

I've done my homework and I'm satisfied. Now do yours....

So you have no idea and are going to just not back up YOUR argument. I mean, your post is the original quote in this line so it is your job to back what you say. Unless you know you can't so you "refuse" to.

Yea, the science is not on your side.
  • kigankei
    Options
    Hey, I'm sorry you haven't been getting any information, try http://www.reddit.com/r/Juicing/ they are a dedicated forum to juicing so hopefully it'll be more helpful :-)
  • filatina85
    filatina85 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I've done two five-day cleanses. I considered it less of a "cleanse" and more of a reset button. It definitely put the following things into perspective: portion sizes, how much salt and hot sauce I was consuming (not that there's anything wrong with hot sauce) and how much sugar I craved.

The first cleanse went really well - by day three, I was walking on air. I had tremendous energy. I lost five pounds and kept three of them off.

The second cleanse didn't go well - I was on an exercise program that I couldn't stop because I had already paid for it, and I just couldn't recover from the workouts. It was terrible and I was miserable.

I think juice fasts are a great way to "reset" - and three days is completely doable. I wouldn't expect tremendous weight loss, but definitely expect to shrink your actual "stomach" - as in, the sack inside your belly that holds food. :-)

Good luck!

Great Advice! Gives me Hope!:smile:
  • Mdin1029
    Mdin1029 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    The best thing I think you can do is try to eat healthy nutritious foods and drink enough water. Maybe try something like this:

Breakfast:
    lemon water
    green smoothie (Mine is 1 cup water, 2 cups baby spinach and baby kale or other greens, 1/2 banana, 1/3 cup blueberries, I also add 1/3 cup greek yogurt or 1 tbl peanutbutter for protein-I don't like protein powders, a few mint leaves, cilantro leaves, a tiny bit of ginger)
    2 boiled eggs with salt, pepper, paprika, and a little extra virgin olive oil

Snack:
    1/4 cup raw unsalted almonds or other nuts

Lunch:
    lean chicken or fish
    lots of veggies (especially green)

Snack
    1 gala apple or other fruits/veggies

Dinner
    lean chicken of fish
    sweet potato

LOTS of water, add lemon, cucumber, mint if you want

After dinner "tea":
    1/4 lemon juice
    few mint leaves
    few cilantro leaves
    tiny bit of fresh ginger
    add boiling hot water, drink after a few minutes

Some form of activity as often as possible every day. (cardio 3x, strength 3x, walking whenever possible)

Medjool dates for any sweet cravings. A high quality multi-vitamin might be worth adding as well. The idea here is to work towards a healthier lifestyle that involves foods that nourish the body with vitamins and minerals, not just empty calories.

You might want to add in rice (brown or basmati), regular potatoes.

Don't worry, it is not boring at all. Chicken and fish can both be cooked in thousands of different ways. There is a huge variety of fish to choose from, a huge variety of fruit and veggies to choose from. Eating processed foods or fast food at a calorie deficit may get you the weight you want but perhaps with clogged arteries, high BP, and low energy. For me the goal is always optimal health, energy, and body composition, not just the number on the scale. Eating healthy natural foods also improves my mood and skin, but that's just me. I don't believe in "a calorie is a calorie" and nor does my doctor. (I have been at a healthy weight for 2 years). The idea here is to work towards a healthier lifestyle that can be sustained. I really hope this helps.
  • filatina85
    filatina85 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    The best thing I think you can do is try to eat healthy nutritious foods and drink enough water. Maybe try something like this:

Breakfast:
    lemon water
    green smoothie (Mine is 1 cup water, 2 cups baby spinach and baby kale or other greens, 1/2 banana, 1/3 cup blueberries, I also add 1/3 cup greek yogurt or 1 tbl peanutbutter for protein-I don't like protein powders, a few mint leaves, cilantro leaves, a tiny bit of ginger)
    2 boiled eggs with salt, pepper, paprika, and a little extra virgin olive oil

Snack:
    1/4 cup raw unsalted almonds or other nuts

Lunch:
    lean chicken or fish

Snack
    1 gala apple or other fruits/veggies

Dinner
    lean chicken of fish
    sweet potato

LOTS of water, add lemon, cucumber, mint if you want

After dinner "tea":
    1/4 lemon juice
    few mint leaves
    few cilantro leaves
    tiny bit of fresh ginger
    add boiling hot water, drink after a few minutes

Some form of activity as often as possible every day. (cardio 3x, strength 3x, walking whenever possible)

Medjool dates for any sweet cravings. A high quality multi-vitamin might be worth adding as well. The idea here is to work towards a healthier lifestyle that involves foods that nourish the body with vitamins and minerals, not just empty calories.

You might want to add in rice (brown or basmati), regular potatoes.

Don't worry, it is not boring at all. Chicken and fish can both be cooked in thousands of different ways. There is a huge variety of fish to choose from, a huge variety of fruit and veggies to choose from. Eating processed foods or fast food at a calorie deficit may get you the weight you want but perhaps with clogged arteries, high BP, and low energy. For me the goal is always optimal health, energy, and body composition, not just the number on the scale. Eating healthy natural foods also improves my mood and skin, but that's just me. I don't believe in "a calorie is a calorie" and nor does my doctor. (I have been at a healthy weight for 2 years). The idea here is to work towards a healthier lifestyle that can be sustained. I really hope this helps.

Now this is what I am talking about!!!

I did a 10 day juice cleanse and it did help with weight loss and shift my mentality on food overall, but it also came with some adverse effects and I would not be keen to jump into one again right away. BUT, becoming empowered over food was a huge benefit to the cleanse... It helped me to choose healthier foods and now I try to incorporate at least one fresh pressed fruit/veggie juice everyday...

But yes, I believe this is the key... Thanks for covering all of the bases, Mdin1029...

The Juice Cleanse/Detox/Reboot is intense and not recommended for all, but I did it and survived. If you want to read about my whole experience please check out my blog.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    The only way the world can make sense is if you are actually selling this completely debunked and pointless program.

I can't think of another reason why you would be promoting it.
  • jeremywm1977
    jeremywm1977 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Just noticed that after the OP got the response she was waiting for, she hasn't posted on this topic since October..........so either her cleanse was successful and she doesn't want to gloat, or it was a failure and she doesn't want to admit it.

Nice to see that this thread is still being kept alive.
  • Ophidion
    Ophidion Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    OP if it makes you happy and you feel positive go for it, who is to stop you as it is your life, but here is some science behind the myths of juice cleanses...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/821828-detoxes-and-cleanses

My opinion, unnecessary unless you are doing it for enjoyment.

ETA: Dammit did not look at date, freak'n'necro threads maybe the link will help others.
  • ginadnorris
    ginadnorris Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I think its sad that certain threads on this website are bombarded with self righteous people who are self proclaimed know it alls. Why do you get angry if someone asks about something that you personally do not agree with? Why do you become patronizing and insulting? We are all here for the same reason. Are you maybe jealous that your weight hasnt come off yet? Or maybe have you tried this thing and you werent strong enough to do it? Idk, I rarely come to the boards but there were two topics I wanted to get some more info on today and both topics are just full of mean people. Its ok to have an opinion, but no need to attack people and insult people over it. You look silly and pathetic. As, the OP is a stranger and what this person does has NO effect on your life. So no need to get all upset about it.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    I think its sad that certain threads on this website are bombarded with self righteous people who are self proclaimed know it alls. Why do you get angry if someone asks about something that you personally do not agree with? Why do you become patronizing and insulting? We are all here for the same reason. Are you maybe jealous that your weight hasnt come off yet? Or maybe have you tried this thing and you werent strong enough to do it? Idk, I rarely come to the boards but there were two topics I wanted to get some more info on today and both topics are just full of mean people. Its ok to have an opinion, but no need to attack people and insult people over it. You look silly and pathetic. As, the OP is a stranger and what this person does has NO effect on your life. So no need to get all upset about it.

Post about mean people and how they attack others is attacking people and calling them names. Not an effective tactic in my opinion. Pot meet kettle perhaps?

As for "being mean"... when people post about doing stupid and potentially dangerous things, they need to be called on it. This site is not just about losing weight. It is about being healthier and doing things that are GOOD for you physically, mentally, and emotionally. When people post about juice cleanses, detoxes, pills, and VLCD then they are not following what the site is about. They also can never support their reasoning and flat out ignore science.

Mostly, I call them on it because I don't want other people to think these things are safe or smart to do. I could honestly care less about the OP since 99% of the time they don't listen to the advice anyway. But maybe I can keep one other person from doing an unneeded, unscientific, and stupid detox... then I have done what I set out to do.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

So many misunderstanding and untruths in this post.

If you want cheerleader-like support for every idea no matter how ill-advised it is, there are plenty of other websites available. For whatever reason, people on MFP won't let a Very Bad Idea™ go uncontested. We are *not* all here for the same reason. No, I am not jealous. No, I have not tried this idea that has no basis medically or scientifically. I do not believe it is a lack of strength. In fact, I believe it takes more strength to do it the right way without looking for shortcuts. People countering bad ideas with actual science are not necessarily mean. What looks "silly and pathetic" are people who continually insist on shortcuts that are invalidated by the truth. True, whether or not the OP does this thing is no concern of mine...but I believe it is wrong to let it go unchallenged for the thousands of others who may read it and be misled. I'm willing to risk the label of "mean person" for that greater good. And I am not at all upset. It would seem like you, however, are...so to you I say, there's no need to get all upset about it.

ETA: LOL...I posted this before I read Athijade's reply. Eerie, the similarities.