Why diet cola could be making you FATTER and WRINKLIER

Diet colas have long been regarded as the dieter's friend - but one-calorie fizzy drinks may actually be the reason you can't shift that stubborn spare tyre.
Some health experts now believe the chemicals in the drink could actually be causing your body to lay down fat deposits around your middle - dubbed 'diet cola belly' - reports Get The Gloss.
And that's not all: some experts also believe diet cola’s mix of carbonated water, colourings and sweeteners such as aspartame and acesulfame K could also speed up the ageing process, and have disastrous health consequences.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2520746/Why-diet-cola-making-FATTER-WRINKLIER-Low-calorie-drink-blame-spare-tyre-withered-skin.html#ixzz2n4PNxPAy
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    daily mail? enough said!
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,872 Member
    Proof that people will believe just about anything and that the diet industry is like a carnival show ready to take your hard earned money with any sentence that is strung together if it has a few of the usual suspects........sorry I find this hilarious.
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    bth_roflmao.gif

The Daily Mail

bellylaugh.gif
  • JcMey3r
    JcMey3r Posts: 431 Member
    Just explain how you see diet coke as healthy?

I dont agree with everything in this article but do believe diet colas can't be too good for you.
  • neanderthin
    How many do you drink in a day and how does something with 0 calories lay down fat deposits on your body.
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Body fat is stored where body fat is stored and artificial sugar is not a determinant.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Just explain how you see diet coke as healthy?

I dont agree with everything in this article but do believe diet colas can't be too good for you.

i never said diet coke was or wasnt healthy... but the daily mail is hardly the most reputable source of information...

everyone is entitled to their own opinion... you dont think its good for you, you dont have to drink it.
  • JcMey3r
    How many do you drink in a day and how does something with 0 calories lay down fat deposits on your body.

Calories aren't needed to be detrimental to your health
  • neanderthin

That wasn't the question I asked. Here we go, out.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member

But for every ounce of "This is bad for you, this causes cancer, this will kill whale babies" there are 100 other studies to prove the opposite. Plus, fear mongering isn't the way to go about it (that is what your title does).
  • daily mail? enough said!

QFT

But seriously, how can people not know that the daily mail is a joke?
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,804 Member
    tumblr_lyabh0GQpK1r3z453o1_500.gif
    tumblr_lqjzifdg0Y1r28lafo1_500.gif
    tumblr_mkk6gnO2Ow1rze1vao1_500_zpsd8306cef.gif
  • stackhead
    stackhead Posts: 121 Member
    bth_roflmao.gif

The Daily Mail

bellylaugh.gif

This. Because i'm bored at work: TLDR: It's a load of BS with no backing, to be expected from the wonders of DM.

The article states that diet drinks make you hungry because they interfere with brain signals blah blah. They don't make me hungry, they fill me up. If they make you hungry, don't drink them.

It then quotes the phosperic acid causes 'a whole host of problems' and that 'excessive phosperate levels in soda caused lab rats to die a full five weeks earlier than the rats whose diets had more normal phosphate levels'.
    It then states below that you get more phosperic acid from meat and diary products than diet drinks.

Then it states shizzle about it wrecking your teeth - drink it through a straw.

Then it states that it can raise the risk of type 2 diabetes and blood pressure. It provides a 10 year study saying that those than drink "cola" (note not diet cola) were 43% more likely to have a stroke or heart attack then those that didn't drink it.

Then woman who drink 4 cans or more a day of cola were found to have 4% less bone density in their hips than woman who don't drink the stuff. This is because phosperic acid 'leaches' calcium from bones or something. Note above; there's more phosperic acid in meat and diary then in diet drinks.
  • hmaddpear
    hmaddpear Posts: 610 Member
    bth_roflmao.gif

The Daily Mail

bellylaugh.gif

*like*

(In because the thread looks like it might get interesting!)
  • ajaxe432
    ajaxe432 Posts: 608 Member
    I lost my hair drinking diet soda:(
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member

But for every ounce of "This is bad for you, this causes cancer, this will kill whale babies" there are 100 other studies to prove the opposite. Plus, fear mongering isn't the way to go about it (that is what your title does).

This....... OP instead of the Daily Mail can you provide some peer reviewed studies backing your claims because I have yet to see any in my quest and I am going to have to put my 312 lbs. lost drinking 2 to 3 diet pepsi's a day against the Daily Mail's stance on Diet Soda's interfere with weight loss.........
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member

This....... OP instead of the Daily Mail can you provide some peer reviewed studies backing your claims because I have yet to see any in my quest and I am going to have to put my 312 lbs. lost drinking 2 to 3 diet pepsi's a day against the Daily Mail's stance on Diet Soda's interfere with weight loss.........
    standing-ovation.gif
    For your 312lbs
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member

So, in what way are diet sodas detrimental to your health? They don't have a negative impact on calories or hydration. The article's claims about "excessive phosphoric acid levels" are interesting, except it doesn't indicate what the baseline for "excessive is anywhere I could see. What is that baseline, and how was it determined scientifically? Is it the caffeine? There's less caffeine than in a cup of coffee, and black coffee doesn't have deleterious effects on weight loss in any studies I've seen (in fact, the caffeine can work positively, as a natural mood elevator).
  • vampirequeen1959
    vampirequeen1959 Posts: 196 Member
    I love diet coke. It quenches my thirst, makes me feel full if i'm peckish and generally lifts my spirits. It's also perfect for cleaning the toilet bowl and taking tarnish off coins so the tooth fairy can leave a shiny 'new' coin. IMHO it's a perfect all rounder :laugh:
  • JcMey3r
    I just gave this article for people to read. Do with the information what you want. I'm not really phased.