Why diet cola could be making you FATTER and WRINKLIER

Options

Replies

• RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Tinfoil hats, anyone?
    No thanks. I've heard from some sources that the government wants people to wear the tinfoil hats so that they can more easily send radio signals into our brains.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Tinfoil hats, anyone?
    No thanks. I've heard from some sources that the government wants people to wear the tinfoil hats so that they can more easily send radio signals into our brains.

So should we be switching to saran wrap then?
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    tumblr_lytyr3nj6o1qkikgro1_250.gif
  • RllyGudTweetr
    Options
    Tinfoil hats, anyone?

Saran? As in saran gas? Um, you go ahead. I'll pass.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    Just explain how you see diet coke as healthy?

I dont agree with everything in this article but do believe diet colas can't be too good for you.

Although I totally despise the mail because it is generally just a right wing brain wash paper and don't want to in any way support it I do think we have a case of an infinite group of monkeys and a Shakespeare sonnet lol I have seen peer reviewed research that shows that drinking diet coke can in fact increase weight indirectly. Psychologically the brain experiences the sweetener as sugar and the brain readies itself for the sugar rush (I am guessing by damping down some neurotransmitters which are just about to spike such as endorphin). Because the brain doesn't receive a sugar hit to compensate for its already slightly wound down preemptive state it can cause sugar cravings which can lead to people consuming unhealthy foods... that the hypothesis anyway. I would guess that there are many correlative as well as causal relationships going on though. It may be worth doing a trawl on scholar to see if any other research has been carried out
    Link the peer review study for this. I for one would like to read it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Tinfoil hats, anyone?

No. Saran as in SARAN wrap...not SARIN gas.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    Tinfoil hats, anyone?

I had a friend Seren in high school, but I don't think he's particularly gassy, nor do I think anyone would appreciate it if I wrapped him around my head...:indifferent:
  • RllyGudTweetr
    Options
    Tinfoil hats, anyone?

They just changed one letter to throw you off-track, naturally.
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options
    house.gif
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I am trying to break the "loaded" pop habit because it has too much sugar and have never drank diet pop. You asked about my thoughts so I will tell you both types of pop are not good for the body because they have no nutritional value. Too many foods out there in this category!!!
    Soda has as much nutritional value as water. They both provide hydration, and nothing else. Well, soda provides flavor, which can give a psychological boost.
  • fatfudgery
    fatfudgery Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I just gave this article for people to read. Do with the information what you want. I'm not really phased.

She's just fighting illiteracy, people! Why you so mean?!
  • Slrajr
    Slrajr Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    This story hit our local news media also, but the story was more about how soda companies are going to survive with all the bad press.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    It doesn't make calories appear out of nowhere or something farfetched like that, it just confuses your body. When we taste something sweet, whether it's sugar or artificial, the body switches from operating off its own reserves to operating off the fresh intake. It expects to get energy. If you're drinking diet soda and not eating with it, then of course your body will eventually realize that it needs to go back to stored fuel. But if you're drinking it with a meal, then it can play havoc on how much of that meal is stored as fat.
    This would make perfect sense, except for the fact that the human body is burning stored fat and glucose ALL THE TIME. There's no "switch over" from one energy system to the other.

Please explain in terms of the actual biology why drinking a diet soda "can play havoc" on how food is burned or stored as fat, keeping in mind that food will not be stored as fat when eating in a deficit, because it's a biological impossibility.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,916 Member
    Options
    It doesn't make calories appear out of nowhere or something farfetched like that, it just confuses your body. When we taste something sweet, whether it's sugar or artificial, the body switches from operating off its own reserves to operating off the fresh intake. It expects to get energy. If you're drinking diet soda and not eating with it, then of course your body will eventually realize that it needs to go back to stored fuel. But if you're drinking it with a meal, then it can play havoc on how much of that meal is stored as fat.
    This would make perfect sense, except for the fact that the human body is burning stored fat and glucose ALL THE TIME. There's no "switch over" from one energy system to the other.

Please explain in terms of the actual biology why drinking a diet soda "can play havoc" on how food is burned or stored as fat, keeping in mind that food will not be stored as fat when eating in a deficit, because it's a biological impossibility.
    Why you talk nonsense.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    I would LOVE to see the peer-reviewed research which bears out this hypothesis.

Let's assume that since one is drinking diet soda, there may be some weight loss effort involved. Hypothetically, said effort would most likely also entail operating at a caloric deficit. I'm interested to hear how diet soda negates the laws of thermodynamics and causes fat storage while in a caloric deficit.

*takes a sip of diet soda and waits patiently*
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Tinfoil hats, anyone?

I had a friend Seren in high school, but I don't think he's particularly gassy, nor do I think anyone would appreciate it if I wrapped him around my head...:indifferent:
    What about Sarris?
    reptilian-aliens-galaxy-quest-sarris-3.jpg
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options
    tumblr_mbxj1pGhC61ra2zr0o1_1280.jpg
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    It doesn't make calories appear out of nowhere or something farfetched like that, it just confuses your body. When we taste something sweet, whether it's sugar or artificial, the body switches from operating off its own reserves to operating off the fresh intake. It expects to get energy.

When eating at a caloric deficit, it doesn't matter that the body switches to using the just-ingested food because it will go right back to the reserves once those are used up. And we know that they will be used up because...you got it...the body is operating in a caloric deficit. In the end, the amount of the deficit is what comes out of reserves, regardless of macro content or ingestion timing.

When eating at a caloric surplus, none of this matters because you're gaining weight no matter what your macros are. Whether the new fat being packed on is coming from a protein calorie or a fat calorie or a carb calorie is, fundamentally, irrelevant.
  • gallowglasslass
    gallowglasslass Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I love diet coke. It quenches my thirst, makes me feel full if i'm peckish and generally lifts my spirits. It's also perfect for cleaning the toilet bowl and taking tarnish off coins so the tooth fairy can leave a shiny 'new' coin. IMHO it's a perfect all rounder :laugh:

I use it to clean my license plate before putting on the new tab sticker. Also works great on grimy keyboard keys.
  • rie_q
    rie_q Posts: 73
    Options
    Tinfoil hats, anyone?

What about Sarris?
    reptilian-aliens-galaxy-quest-sarris-3.jpg

sars2.jpg