Babies in the Work Place

Options
JoRocka
JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
Can someone explain to me why they feel it's acceptable to bring these nasty germ machines to the work place?

I can't bring my dog or cat in to work... why are they allowed to bring their crumb snatchers?

I've never understood- even from a parents perspective why you would want to explose your child to so many strangers... and why you would want to expose complete random strangers to the potentially highly disruptive behavior of said child.

To be honest- seen and not heard- well actually not seen and not heard for me is perfect- but if I can't hear it- whatever fine- but 9/10 that's just not the case.

Annoying- and wildly inappropriate to me- Grateful I don't have to deal with it that often- but still WHY.

EXPLAIN THIS INSANITY TO ME!!!

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I love it when people bring their babies!
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    For like the entire day, or just to show/introduce it to people?
  • PennyM140
    PennyM140 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I love babies! And as a parent, I understand why people love showing them off. I don't see the problem with someone stopping by to introduce their baby.
    Now at my husband's work people have been known to bring their sick child to work with them so they don't have to take time off. That is unacceptable. Exposes coworkers to sickness and it doesn't allow the child a comfortable place to rest and get well.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    I can't. Because it's inexplicable insanity. We used to have a front desk in my office, and one of my best friends worked at it, and she would send me email alerts so that if somebody brought in their little *#@$ trophies I could shut my door and work in peace. Sadly, no more front desk, so now I get *SURPRISE* baby annoyance.

I used to share an office with another co-worker, and sometimes her daughter would have to come in with her due to school holidays and such, but she was always good as gold and her mom made sure of that! She was the most thoughtful office-mate I've ever had. Luckily she's still my "next-door neighbor" and very good friend.
  • Broderick50
    Broderick50 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    I love kids and would like to have a lot more, but I agree keep them at home. Especially if there little heithans or a crying baby.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    I barely like my own kids (sarcasm, not entirely serious), I definately don't like OPC (other people's children). Hence my chosen career field, as we work with ages 16 and up only (and 16 is too young still). I never did this, so I don't understand it. Not so much because the kids are germ carriers, but the adults. I don't want your grody hands on my new kid, because I don't know if you wash after you pee TVYM. Eww.
  • Sovictorrious
    Sovictorrious Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    My kids are awesome, OPK suck *kitten*. I would never bring my kids to work because I don't have time for that ****. I rather not have people judge me when I yell at those demons,
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    ugh yeah I could never work in a place that allowed babies for more than a short (10 min) visit. Just NO.

Same with older kids, do NOT bring your child to work when you can't find daycare.

I work with a close knit family and I am SOOOO happy they have common sense. There's a 4 yr old boy in the family and in 4 months working there I've seen him once for less than 5 min. That's appropriate :-)
  • just_Jennie1
    Options
    I am not a fan of babies/children any where.

When I used to work in an office people would have their babies then bring them in to "show them off". I think I was the only one in my department who didn't get up to rush over and oooh and ahhhhh over the thing.

Now if someone had brought in their dog it'd be a different story.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    Funny you post this, because I saw this on facebook this morning and thought it was so sweet.

Not posting image because it's huge.. http://themetapicture.com/motherhood-at-its-best/

I thought about it as I can't bring mine all the time but I would imagine it would be a pain if the child was not well behaved (supervised). We had a woman bring a newborn to a 2 day orientation. No one knew what to say but the baby was silent the entire time...
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i thought this was going to be a thread about those hot 20 something interns..

anyway, yeah every now and then someone will bring a rugrat in to the officeand my cube mates and i will turn and give each other a "dafuq?!?" look when we hear crying or screaming or see some child run by with one of the many nerf guns we keep around the office.

oh and for the record, i work from home on bring your child to work day
  • just_Jennie1
    Options
    oh and for the record, i work from home on bring your child to work day

Our office used to have that until one of the little darlings pulled the fire alarm.

Thankfully I was on vacation when that happened.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,780 Member
    Options
    you don't seem disproportionately angry about this at all.
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    I don't think they should be permitted to leave the house without a muzzle, I also feel that people should get a sort of licence from the government before they are allowed to make them. That's the world I one day want to live in!
  • soehlerking
    soehlerking Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    meh, I think it depends on the office space. if you have an office w/ a door and you're bringing your kid b/c the caretaker is sick/you have no choice or what have you, I don't really have a problem with it. But if you're in a cubicle environment and/or it's a regular occurence...probably not so much.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    People let their toddlers run around chemistry labs here. It baffles my mind.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options

Not posting image because it's huge.. http://themetapicture.com/motherhood-at-its-best/

I don't like kids much but that was one pretty baby that grew into one pretty toddler. Wow.
  • MrsK20141004
    MrsK20141004 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Don't get it, don't like it. Never will. I'm not a kid or baby person... They stress me out, even the kids of family. However, I LOVE when people bring their dogs in, it only happens once a year but its my favourite day!
  • DRJ311
    DRJ311 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Wow.
    Apparently not a lot of loving parents on this forum, huh? (LOL)
    I love my kids and they are so well behaved, but I must admit other peoples kids do get on my nerves..
    Not all kids are germ infested booger nosed little brats. But you wouldn't know until you become a parent. I, myself have never brought my kids to work, but you never know the circumstances, like maybe school is delayed or cancelled and no babysitter, etc. Now bringing in SICK kids is just WRONG. If kids must come to work, try to make it a once in a while thing andmake sure they aren't sick!
  • Elliehmltn
    Elliehmltn Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Many employers permit women to bring their babies to work to enable breast feeding.