Babies in the Work Place

Options

Replies

• IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    Options
    because it makes the other strippers happy when I bring baby Luda to work with me. Plus, free babysitting!!!
  • BaoCat
    BaoCat Posts: 42
    Options
    Eh, it's ok if folks don't abuse it. I'm not so excited about kids in general (except my nieces and nephews ARE the cutest kids ever). I'm ok - and LOVE - when a co-worker swings by with a new kitten or puppy (not allowed, but folks do it anyway.) So how can I begrudge those who ooh and ahh over a new baby? To each their own and it can be a positive bonding experience. God knows we need more of that where I work...

What I seriously dislike are those that abuse it. Someone who brings a kid in, but rather than 'set them in a room with a dvd', spends paid work time either amusing the child OR the child wandering other cubbies, thinking you really can't wait to talk with them.

I've seen that at work. Pretty much a 'I don't want to take the whole day off, so I'm bringing the kid to work, even though I won't actually be able to DO any work (due to the behavior of said kid), but hey I'll be on the clock...'
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    I don't take my kids to work, because I can't do my job properly and mind my kids at the same time. It's that simple. I have three part-time jobs and none of them are even vaguely compatible with looking after my kids while working. If there are issues with childcare then I have to call them and say I can't work, then do what I can to fix the childcare situation ASAP as I don't get paid if i don't work.

I would expect that most people who bring their kids into work it's because of difficulties with childcare and the boss not letting them take the day off. I don't get how someone would bring their child in for the whole day out of choice, unless the child is mature enough to sit there doing homework or other quiet activities the whole time, and even in fhat situation, I don't know why they'd *want* to do that, because even the most mature, sensible, well behaved kids would get bored doing that for the whole entire day. Kids need attention and interaction. Again that strikes me more as a no choice situation than something you'd do out of choice.

OP to answer your question - probably because their boss won't let them take the day off to look after their kid if the kid's sick or the childcare person/centre lets them down. If not then really I don't get it, and I don't get how they can manage to do the job they're paid to do while their kids are in the office.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

HAHA!! Your posts sound exactly like me! Kids annoy me and pregnant women make me ill. I do everything possible to avoid the pregos in my office. Also when people bring their baby around I walk away or make myself look very busy! I hate that everyone tells me I will change my mind and want kids one day. My obgyn wouldn't even discuss getting my tubes tied!

OH See I wasn't even going to approach the pregnant women. Yeah they make me sick too- I have a REALLY REALLY hard time looking at them. It freaks me out.

I asked my doctor if she would take my uterus out... she glared at me and said NO.
    OP to answer your question - probably because their boss won't let them take the day off to look after their kid if the kid's sick or the childcare person/centre lets them down. If not then really I don't get it, and I don't get how they can manage to do the job they're paid to do while their kids are in the office.
    I think it's weird too- I don't work private- I work for the gubment. so it seems even weirder to me to have random people coming in with children- just seems odd- especially to have them show up and then leave (typically the case).

I dunno- it's weird.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options

HAHA!! Your posts sound exactly like me! Kids annoy me and pregnant women make me ill. I do everything possible to avoid the pregos in my office. Also when people bring their baby around I walk away or make myself look very busy! I hate that everyone tells me I will change my mind and want kids one day. My obgyn wouldn't even discuss getting my tubes tied!

OH See I wasn't even going to approach the pregnant women. Yeah they make me sick too- I have a REALLY REALLY hard time looking at them. It freaks me out.

I asked my doctor if she would take my uterus out... she glared at me and said NO.
    I think it's weird too- I don't work private- I work for the gubment. so it seems even weirder to me to have random people coming in with children- just seems odd- especially to have them show up and then leave (typically the case).

I dunno- it's weird.
    Just lift heavy, it's supposed to make it fall out. I keep waitin'... Maybe I need to add another deadlift day...
  • latewinter
    Options
    Can someone explain to me why they feel it's acceptable to bring these nasty germ machines to the work place?

I can't bring my dog or cat in to work... why are they allowed to bring their crumb snatchers?

I've never understood- even from a parents perspective why you would want to explose your child to so many strangers... and why you would want to expose complete random strangers to the potentially highly disruptive behavior of said child.

To be honest- seen and not heard- well actually not seen and not heard for me is perfect- but if I can't hear it- whatever fine- but 9/10 that's just not the case.

Annoying- and wildly inappropriate to me- Grateful I don't have to deal with it that often- but still WHY.

EXPLAIN THIS INSANITY TO ME!!!

I HATE kids aswell my bf's sister is preggers again and in no way in hell am i going to be looking after the snotty thing i just avoid them at all costs and if she texts me i ignore it because i know it will just be 'can u look after the kid, can u pick her up from school, can you take her to school etc etc. She is my issue. if YOU cant look after your kid then YOU shouldn't be having another lol
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options

You can get a tubal ligation, but doctors won't do major elective removal of organs unless there is a medical reason or for gender reassignment surgery (with the proper counseling before hand).
  • pawnstarNate
    pawnstarNate Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    I've been bringing my lil one (now 7) to my work since she was a baby...off and on. But, I own the place. when she was a baby, I had a small room built just for her a crib and as she grew older...a play room. It has dark tinted windows so she could see me....It's worked for me and she really loves coming to work with me now when she is out of school.
  • molonlabe762
    molonlabe762 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Wow.
    Apparently not a lot of loving parents on this forum, huh? (LOL)
    I love my kids and they are so well behaved, but I must admit other peoples kids do get on my nerves..
    Not all kids are germ infested booger nosed little brats. But you wouldn't know until you become a parent. I, myself have never brought my kids to work, but you never know the circumstances, like maybe school is delayed or cancelled and no babysitter, etc. Now bringing in SICK kids is just WRONG. If kids must come to work, try to make it a once in a while thing andmake sure they aren't sick!

This ^
  • ModernNerd
    ModernNerd Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    i thought this was going to be a thread about those hot 20 something interns..

anyway, yeah every now and then someone will bring a rugrat in to the officeand my cube mates and i will turn and give each other a "dafuq?!?" look when we hear crying or screaming or see some child run by with one of the many nerf guns we keep around the office.

oh and for the record, i work from home on bring your child to work day

20-something intern here! Oh wait, wrong thread... *wanders out*
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    I love babies! I don't mind if people bring them to work, and I also don't mind if they want me to babysit for a little bit if they need a break. That's just me though. Not everyone is accustomed to being around children.

I don't think it has anything to do with being accustomed to being around children and everything to do with having a work ethic and manners. I am at work to work. I am getting paid to work not babysit.
  • Monkey_Business
    Monkey_Business Posts: 1,800 Member
    Options
    I love children, have two of my own that grew up to be great people and are now some of my best friends. I go visit other families who have small children/older children. It's GREAT fun!

But, children in the work place are a deal breaker for me. Too many liabilities to the organization. Too many disruptions.

Little story; a couple of years ago, I had a new employee bring his child into work. I immediately asked him if he had read my policy on children in the work area (employee work area are off limits to non-staff members). He said yes, but the child was too sick to be in daycare (our daycare will not accept children if they have a fever). I then asked if he had made arrangements yet for the child's care outside of the work environment. He said no, that he was saving his leave for emergencies/vacation.

I suspended him on the spot for 3 days without pay. I cannot have employees placing the organization at risk for lawsuits or sick children who might be contagious, making other employees sick or our patients.

Problem was solved.

Now to be clear, we do allow families to visit and we have nice areas in our environment for that, we are a Medical Centers support staff.

But this just is too much of a risk for that.

Just one old man's opinion.....
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I'm all for a brief "hey here's my new kid"-type visit, especially if it's a co-worker I'm close with. Newborns are pretty squidgy and cute and quiet. I can even handle having a child hanging out in with his/her parent at the office, as long as that child has been taught how to entertain themselves quietly.

What I don't have any patience for is a noisy, disruptive child whose parents won't remove the child from the situation. Kids make noise and often have no attention spans, I get that. That's not their fault. But in an adult-centric or work environment, it's not ok, and it's the parent's job to fix it.

Examples: 1. I was at a workshop a month ago, and a woman was there with her 8-ish year old son. I actually didn't even notice he was there at all for the first half hour as he was happily occupied with a video game on a laptop computer. Not a peep out of him all day. Totally ok. 2. I was at a conference this fall and a young toddler was banging a wall with his foot and babbling/squawking loudly during the person's presentation, and the mother did nothing to stop him. Totally not ok. 3. At a meeting, my colleague brought her two kids (ok, she's a broke student, I get that), and they chattered the whole time, and she chattered back at them - not to shush them but just to talk back. It was very distracting. Not ok.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Just lift heavy, it's supposed to make it fall out. I keep waitin'... Maybe I need to add another deadlift day...
    OH yeah that's right!!! I forgot!!!

MORE SQATZ
    I suspended him on the spot for 3 days without pay. I cannot have employees placing the organization at risk for lawsuits or sick children who might be contagious, making other employees sick or our patients.
    GOOD FOR YOU- too sick to take to day care but some how it's okay to expose the rest of everyone else to that rubbish? God what a selfish d*ck.
    You can get a tubal ligation, but doctors won't do major elective removal of organs unless there is a medical reason or for gender reassignment surgery (with the proper counseling before hand).
    Yes- I know... it's just WAY more expensive than a vasectomy.. I also know they won't do major organ removal just because I don't want it... but that doesn't stop me from asking!!!
  • dirty_dirty_eater
    dirty_dirty_eater Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I quit my job to stay home with my first son for two years. I did some freelance work though and I used to take him with me to client meetings.
    Yes, bearded, gruffy looking guy with a baby carrier having meetings at various major corporations. It was completely accepted and in one case, I'm pretty sure he got me the gig.
    The only disruption was from the crowd of womens the cute little bugger attracted.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    When my daughter was born I was threatened with physical harm if I didn't bring her into the office. I took her in at about two weeks, and she was quiet the whole time. Had she become a disruption, I would have simply left the office until she calmed down, or taken her home.

A few years later I took her in again, and she was a quiet, well behaved respectful little girl. Those who wanted to see her could, and those that did not didn't need to even know she was there - anymore than they would any other visitor.

As to why I'd want her to meet so many strangers - they weren't strangers. They were my work colleagues, whom I get along very well with. And it's good for her to meet a variety of people, of a variety of ages, and to see her parents interacting in a variety of environments. It aids social development.
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    I've been bringing my lil one (now 7) to my work since she was a baby...off and on. But, I own the place. when she was a baby, I had a small room built just for her a crib and as she grew older...a play room. It has dark tinted windows so she could see me....It's worked for me and she really loves coming to work with me now when she is out of school.

This.

I am a farmer and when she isn't at school, my daughter is technically at work with me. I bring my dogs, too - but then, the office that my wife works in lets you bring your dog.

Are children the last section of society that it is acceptable to say that you hate? You couldn't say "I hate ALL old people, they are stinking germ factories" or "I hate all people of x or y descent/hair coulor/religion" etc...
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Bringing a baby or child to introduce them to colleagues is fine. Just don't keep them there most of the day. I've seen a few parents bring their children to work and keep them there the whole day. Maybe daycare or the babysitter wasn't available that day. I'm not sure, but it's unprofessional in my line of work to have little kids in the workplace. No, don't ask where I work, but it's not a place where children are expected. I like children. I'm a mom too, but I wouldn't dream of using my cubicle or office as daycare for my child.
  • hstoblish
    hstoblish Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    My husband works with a Ministry whose focus is children and families and I brought her in to visit back when I was on maternity leave. People went nuts. They loved it so much. Hell, they threw us a baby shower! If she cried, I was out the door in a second.

I didn't bring her into my work very often, though I did pop by a couple of times during that year I was off, because I work on environmental issues and my office is full of men, I didn't do it often.

For the record, people requested it. Um, rather strongly. My husband just moved to a new part of the ministry and his old office was very sad that they won't get to see her anymore.

Some people like kids and some offices are made up of people who like kids. It can be very appropriate to bring your kid in for a visit if your office has the right atmosphere. I'd hate to work where you do because it really doesn't sound like a great place to work if you have a family.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: