What's wrong with Planet Fitness?

Options

Replies

• PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    i squat (this morning in fact) and deadlift up in there - the staff has yet to ask me to leave nor have i seen any posted signs stating to not do them .....

Many PFs will not allow it. There are also PFs that discriminate based on looks. There are reasons people are "judgmental" about it.
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Nothing. I've visited both Planet Fitness and Blink Fitness, another no-frills chain, owned by Equinox. PF has much better hours, but its decor seems a little cheesy compared to Blink's. Both have good rates (I think PF is a little cheaper) and reasonable amounts of equipment.
  • ILoveBreakfast671
    ILoveBreakfast671 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    It sucks when you're dumbbell benching 75 lbs for 6 months and can't make anymore gains. Smith machine sucks because your supporting muscles that help you balance aren't being worked entirely due to the fixed plane of motion.
  • teaparty75
    Options
    [[/quote]

Smith machine was going to kill you? Whhaattt? I use it all the time!
    [/quote]
    LOL ... there is alot of HATING on the smith machine - don't get me wrong , i truly believe that if i got off it and tried to squat the same 90lbs on a power rack that i'd more than likely struggle and have to take it down a few notches ....but i see much more advanced people using it - so i figure i have a while to go before i'm too good for it
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Smith machine was going to kill you? Whhaattt? I use it all the time!
    LOL ... there is alot of HATING on the smith machine - don't get me wrong , i truly believe that if i got off it and tried to squat the same 90lbs on a power rack that i'd more than likely struggle and have to take it down a few notches ....but i see much more advanced people using it - so i figure i have a while to go before i'm too good for it

Of course you would have to. Many people who have switched from the Smith Machine to free weights have said they pretty much have to relearn how to squat. One of the reasons for "the hate" is (in comparison with free weights) the lack of being able to utilize stabilizing muscles and machines tend to provide a degree of support (meaning you aren't really lifting the full weight). Also, machines tend to limit ROM (range of motion) for the exercise.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I just don't feel right when I try to squat in a smith machine…

if I go into a guest gym and the only thing I see is a smith machine and no power rack i am like FML>...
  • BonnieandClyde29
    BonnieandClyde29 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I LOVE PF!!! Have been going there off and on for a long time, stopped there only because I had gotten a free gym membership through work, and still went back to PF!!!
  • StaceyJ2008
    StaceyJ2008 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I used to work there, I have a membership there, you can do deadlifts and squats. You just can't throw your weights on the ground or they will ask you not to do it.

Honestly, it's a pretty great place. If you are a hardcore weight lifter it isn't the best fit because they have smith machines and don't have an Olympic bar, otherwise it is just fine.

All a matter of preference really.
  • JJordon
    JJordon Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    for a gym that claims to be nonjudgemental they sure do judge a lot of folks.

at first i was excited one was opening near me. then i started looking into it. the lunk alarm is true. they do not want serious people there who are in shape and wanting to get bigger. I went to the sign up just to see what it was like and actually heard the guy tell and older couple we do want people who take this too seriously. my guess is they are looking for stay at home types who instead of using the mall as their track can feel like they are doing something.

Apparently, only PF (and its employees) can judge you, you cannot judge them or anyone else.

Hypocritical.

Oh yeah, that's me...

At the YMCA.

Yeah baby. Grunting and Olympic lifts are in full effect.
  • MisterDerpington
    MisterDerpington Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    i squat (this morning in fact) and deadlift up in there - the staff has yet to ask me to leave nor have i seen any posted signs stating to not do them .....
    smith machine

I don't think those get to be called squats.
  • MisterDerpington
    MisterDerpington Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I used to work there, I have a membership there, you can do deadlifts and squats. You just can't throw your weights on the ground or they will ask you not to do it.

Honestly, it's a pretty great place. If you are a hardcore weight lifter it isn't the best fit because they have smith machines and don't have an Olympic bar, otherwise it is just fine.

"hardcore weight lifters" aren't the only people who should be using barbells. That's exactly the kind of crap PF pushes.
  • Dawmer299
    Options
    Works for me. Mine does have some free weights, barbells and just about everything else a regular gym has. Not rows of them but enough you can do whaty ever you want to do. Never had a problem here except when the lunk alarm goes off. I could do with out that but thats minor for the price and convience it gives me. .
  • Kimbermcle9
    Kimbermcle9 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    hahaha - Mold's Tim - funny . :)
  • ndj1979
    Options

how do you deadlift without an olympic bar..????
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Works for me. Mine does have some free weights, barbells and just about everything else a regular gym has. Not rows of them but enough you can do whaty ever you want to do. Never had a problem here except when the lunk alarm goes off. I could do with out that but thats minor for the price and convience it gives me. .

so you do not plan on progressing to anything heavier or more compound type movements? Just curious….
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    From reading about this gym on these boards, my impression is the quality of the gym depends on which location you go to. Some are perfectly fine and some are downright awful.

I'm pretty sure that's the case with all gym franchises/chains. Some will be great and some will suck. And some have equipment others don't.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    i'm sensing that the "judgement" is all up and thru HERE !! LOL....i think its cool that there is an affordable place for people of ALL levels to commune and get / stay in shape .....obviously no one situation works for EVERYBODY - just the way life works

I think this thread has proven it's not for people of all levels though.....
  • teaparty75
    Options
    smith machine

I don't think those get to be called squats.

lets call them "the stuff that's getting my waistline together" !
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

thought that was your diet?
  • teaparty75
    Options

thought that was your diet?
    well i didn't start being able to see noticable (to me) changes to my body (specifically my waist) UNTIL i started a lifting program at planet fitness , using the purple smith machine ...despite my diet - eating a christmas cookie right now !