Anybody Else Taking the Xmas Break?

Options

Replies

• karlospiklington
    karlospiklington Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I'm going to eat pretty much whatever I want over Christmas but try to keep it in moderation. Expecting to go over my calorie limits for the week of Christmas day and New Year's but not too worried. A bit of indulgence for a week won't undo all the work I've put in up to now. Infact, denying myself at Christmas would probably lead to a bigger binge as I would feel deprived and miserable.
  • VenharBaby
    Options
    I haven't even put hard enough work into this to undo all of it so what the heck. AND im not over weight either BUT I do really wanna lose body fat and fit my smaller jeans......bring on the new year!
  • albionjen
    albionjen Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I'm planning to have a break too. I'm going to be away in France skiing, so it'll be pretty much impossible to stick to my usual routine. At least I'll be getting loads of exercise, though I have no idea really how many calories a days skiing burns so it will be complete guess work and fingers crossed when I get on the scale back home :laugh:

I've already hit my original goal for the year, so no big worries if I stay more or less the same weight this month :drinker:

Merry Christmas!
  • JustMeee333
    Options
    Been debating over this a bit lately.

At the minute, I'd say I'll have Christmas day off, at the very least. Eve might be a little destructive, but that'll be it. Planning on saving any leftover sweets/treats etc, and working them into my allowance in the following week/s. I don't think I'll go crazy, but I don't want to be worrying over every mouthful either.
  • feadzy
    feadzy Posts: 22
    Options
    Taking a break from the evening of 24th until the 26th. I'll still try to log everything I can, just to get an overview on how much I ate.
  • gmthisfeller
    gmthisfeller Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    I'm actually going the other way and ramping up my running and tightening up on my calories until new year...

+1

Runs will get longer, and I hope faster. Will stay with the food diary.
  • amrichards0711
    amrichards0711 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I just switched over to maintenance yesterday, and I plan to stay there for the next three weeks. I am on vacation from December 21-January 5, and I want to have the freedom to enjoy the holidays. I won't eat more just for the sake of eating, and I'm sure there will be days that I will eat at my usual goal of 1600, but I'm not going to stress over a few Christmas cookies, if I want them. I will still log my food, and I might try to fit in some extra workouts since I won't be working and will be less active than usual. I don't really want to gain, but I'm okay with not losing over the next few weeks.
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    My weight's gone up, as it usually does at this time of year. I'm not overweight either, but I always worry -- Will this be the year I can't get down again? I attended an annual event that always has huge amounts of great food and I ... indulged. I'm not going to drive myself crazy between now and the New Year, but I will weigh myself every few days and try not to stuff myself with too many sweets, nuts, and cheese -- my weaknesses. After the New Year, I will go on a strict diet for 10 days if I can stand it.
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    It's just another day. Each day I don't work towards my goal, adds DAYS to when I reach my goal even when I was on vacation in the domincan, I wasn't on a true break.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    No way. Seems like a recipe for disaster.
  • aarar
    aarar Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    Good luck! :flowerforyou:

For me personally, I have no 'off switch' in my brain when it comes to food. The day I ran a marathon I had ZERO problem eating the nearly 5000 calories I was allotted that day (2200 regular allowance + 2600-ish calories burned from the race); I could have easily kept eating well beyond that.

I'll definitely continue logging through the holidays (doesn't mean I'll necessarily stay in my calorie allowance).
  • Saramelie
    Saramelie Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Nope. I know if I take a break that long I won't want to get back on track. I'm not counting calories for Christmas dinner and will probably not eat much before that meal, but I couldn't take a whole break. I'm in this for a lifestyle change. I didn't count Thanksgiving and I won't count Christmas because once I reach my goal weight I won't be doing that. I also don't deprive myself of sweets entirely. I think I had a lot of sugar this week actually... so a break for me would really just be me stuffing my face with all kinds of sweets and gaining back the 16bs I lost already.
    \

Don't think you would ever gain 16lbs in 3weeks!

I`ve done it before.... :-(
  • rocky503
    rocky503 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Due to weather, family illness and holidays I have jumped on the Maintain train, meaning I'm happy if I get thru the holidays not gaining any new weight. Although I will probably loose a little fitness. I will try to log most days which helps me keep in line. But no pressure to loose right now.
  • gabrielleelliott90
    gabrielleelliott90 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Well I'm going to be bad on Christmas day and Boxing day, because come on I'm not going to track calories on those days I want to enjoy Christmas without worrying about calories. After that I'm back on plan. Not sure about new years though I could be off track then.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    There are 3 days out of the year I don't log: my birthday, Thanksgiving, and Christmas. Other than that, I log it, good or bad.
  • lawlorka
    lawlorka Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Leaving the country on Friday for 8 days so between the 20th and 28th I won't be logging. I'm going to take a break and hopefully I'll maintain but if I gain a bit I won't mind too much. I'll just get back on track when I get home.

I've never been one to stuff myself at Christmas anyway and we'll be busy visiting family and friends we haven't seen in years. Its probably going to be booze that is the downfall this year.

Still, 8 days off isn't going to destroy all my good work so I'm not afraid to take it off.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    So im taking a xmas break from measuring and weighing and eating strictly healthy. Im treating myself pretty much everyday to sweets and whatever I want acutally. Im not over weight by any means. I just want to lose fat % and I plan to do that in the New Year. For now, I wanna eat and have fun! I have just completed StrongLifts for 12 weeks - Im taking a little break from that too. Starting a whole new plan up for Janurary. Im still not going to log though, I am safe eyeballing food - done it before and it worked. Healthy in moderation works. As for exercise, I will get it when i feel like it over these holidays. Prob in the form of shovelling snow, sledding and cc skiing. Might get a bit of lifting in there too. Never know. Anyways, this is about a 3.5 week break for me and im gonna enjoy it. Anybody else doing this sort of thing? Thanks for sharing in advance.
    I have whatever I want every day. I don't consider it "a break," I just call it living.
  • Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Christmas Eve and Day I won't be logging and will be eating and drinking what I want. However, I don't intend eating until I can't move this year! In addition, I have a hike planed for Chrismas Eve and a 5k run for Christmas morning. Boxing Day I'll aim for maintenance as will be spending much of the day driving so will be very sedentary. After that i'm back on track and in fact probably will up the exercise as have time off work so will have more free time. New Years Eve I have a 5k race so will be looking for a new PB which will stop me going too mad over the break :)
  • princess_tallulah
    Options
    I've put on 4lbs over the course of one Indian meal. My, that was a good meal...

So I'm expecting to put some weight on this Christmas - although I'm hoping that by exercising as much as I can, I'll reduce the damage a little.

Here's to hitting the gym hard in January!
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    We're traveling out of state to visit family and staying in their house, so I don't know how I'm going to incorporate exercise. I'd feel kinda stupid working out to a DVD or On Demand video in the middle of their living room. I still plan to track most days so I can make sure I don't go over maintenance, but I do want to indulge in our family's traditional treats...not to mention the Junior's cheesecake I'm having shipped out to them, because they loved the one we sent last year when we couldn't make the trip!