Whats the meanest thing someone said about your weight?

Options

Replies

• KevinPsalm23v4
    KevinPsalm23v4 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I was told I am a fat disgusting slob - too lazy to change, too dumb to loose weight and regardless of how much weight I loose - I will never be worth looking at. Why can't you look as good as you did in May 1994 - FYI in May of 94 (When I was 21) I just completed a four-month training regiment for US Air Force Security Police for the Peacekeeper Challenge. I was buff/cut back then

In August 2012 I was around 305
    in October 2013 I was down to 255

Y'all decide if I am still too ugly regardless of much weight I loose.
  • HealthyBodySickMind
    HealthyBodySickMind Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I'm not one to let something strangers say phase me. I've had the "eat a cheeseburger" and asked if they were buying. I've been called anorexic, and just shook my head, assuming they don't know what a healthy person looks like anymore. I was dancing my heart out at a ska show where the singer made a point of expressing a preference for bigger girls (he included an eat a cheeseburger comment in there), and I told him then he shouldn't play music to make people dance since it's counterproductive.

Since being preggers, I've been told, "dang you're big for 6 months!" But I know I'm right where I should be.

The only thing that's gotten to me a bit body-wise has been since I started lifting, and a lot closer to home. As soon as I started, my husband started telling me how he didn't like "muscly" women. He started showing me pictures of fitness models pointing to their abs or arms to say, "that's too much". I told him I don't think I'll have to worry about looking like that for awhile. When I did start to get definition in certain places, he'd point it out to me. I started telling him that as long as we're being brutally honest about preferences, he could stand to pick up some weights. I kept lifting then until I conceived, and will continue postpartum, but it's a little off-putting that I know that work isn't appreciated by anyone but myself.
  • kikionna4
    Options
    @KiraBaby20: That's crrrrazy! My son is not fat at all but very tall and stocky so people think he's older than what he is by a year or two. I can't imagine him coming home with the kids making fun of him for being big/tall. That's sucky!
  • Erin_goBrahScience
    Erin_goBrahScience Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    the truth
  • KevinPsalm23v4
    Options
    ?? MFP is acting up on my end.......
  • mrskatbevins
    Options
    When I was in high school, I wore a size 26/28. So did my stepmother, but she made sure everyday she called me some type of fat person complex name, "fat, slob, pig... ect, ect" How can you call someone who you supposedly love names like that, and make them feel so badly about themselevs. The only way I knew how to deal with my bad feelings was more food. The other one that pisses me off beyond all belief is the "You have such a pretty face" statement.
  • FitBlackChick
    FitBlackChick Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    It was pretty unoriginal but once some shop assistant straight out said: "You're fat." And there were people around so that made it worse
  • KevinPsalm23v4
    Options
    I was told I am a fat disgusting slob - too lazy to change, too dumb to loose weight and regardless of how much weight I loose - I will never be worth looking at. Why can't you look as good as you did in May 1994 - FYI in May of 94 (When I was 21) I just completed a four-month training regiment for US Air Force Security Police for the Peacekeeper Challenge. I was buff/cut back then

In August 2012 I was around 305
    in October 2013 I was down to 255

Y'all decide if I am still too ugly regardless of much weight I loose.

Anyone want to guess who said this to me??
  • KevinPsalm23v4
    Options
    ??
  • KevinPsalm23v4
    Options
    I decided to cut all my hair off in to a pixie cut while I was in junior high and my papa said, "that looks so nice! You have such a pretty face! Now if only you could get your body to match."

I've had all the usual mean comments and was bullied growing up but that comment constantly stays with me. Then I have the opposite side of the spectrum: as I've lost weight the story going around my family is that I either starve myself or I'm on drugs. I've never done drugs in my life and I love food way to much to starve myself!

Sorry - I too know from experience that Family is cruel - VERY CRUEL!!!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    When I was in high school, I wore a size 26/28. So did my stepmother, but she made sure everyday she called me some type of fat person complex name, "fat, slob, pig... ect, ect" How can you call someone who you supposedly love names like that, and make them feel so badly about themselevs. The only way I knew how to deal with my bad feelings was more food. The other one that pisses me off beyond all belief is the "You have such a pretty face" statement.

this makes me so sad. I am sorry it happened to you.

Sometimes our fellow fat women can be the WORST. My former mother-in-law was around 5'0" and 350-450 lb during the time I was married to her son. I'm 5'8" and weighed between 250-300 and she would always express "concern" about my weight and once said I shouldn't be walking 2-3 miles at my size, I could have a heart attack. She also expressed shock about my height and would say she'd never known a woman so tall....5'8"...what!? LOL I was about 1.5 inches shorter than her son and that bugged her, she couldn't believe he went for someone almost as tall as he is.

Now my ex has a girlfriend who is well over 6' tall and I wonder what his mom said about that LOL
  • kdsp2911
    kdsp2911 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I will probably get witched like I'm the red headed step child, but I'm a little confused. There are some very mean and ugly comments that have been made to some of the people posting on here. However, some posts just seem to be family members letting you know the truth. Then there was the one post where the chick's sister in law always told her she looked fine then told her she looked better after she lost the weight. This girl was angry that the sister in law DIDN'T say anything before. While society and those around us do a fine job of fat shaming, I believe sometimes we wear our feelings on our sleeves. Sometimes people that know and care about us make comments (like grandma saying you need to lose a few pounds) because YOU NEED TO LOSE A FEW POUNDS! I mean, I know I'm heavy and I have a very long way to go to reach my goal, but I also own a mirror. When my aunts/uncles/grandparents/family/friends expressed concern I understood why. I didn't get butt hurt about it, but I didn't necessarily receive it either. I have sense started a lifestyle overhaul and am making changes. Don't be so sensitive folks, some people really do care.
  • impemberstar
    impemberstar Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    back in 2009 I was working as a "scare actor" in a haunted house at a halloween event at a theme park. I was supposed to be an evil, sadistic sorority girl from "Delta Epsilon Delta" ("because no one does it like a DED girl"...). The costumes were really skimpy and consisted of plaid lycra skirts that we were instructed to roll up so they were really short, fishnet stockings, pigtails, ribbons, and a tight knit, low-cut jersey top to show off a huge fake tattoo they put on our chests that literally looked like an arrow pointing to our clevage.

I was about 30 lbs lighter then than I am now (it was back in the day before I went on the birth controll shot), but I was still pushing 180lbs, so I wasnt thin (never have been). I HATED the role, was SUPER not confortable being so sexual, and it was DEFINATELY not worth the $10.50/hr they were paying me. Anyway, one night in the middle of one of my shifts a bunch of college guys came through the house.

They yelled at us and banged on the walls and when they came through my room one of them got in my face -

"How'd a fat chick like you get in to a sorority?"

I still remember exactly what he looked like. Buzzed haircut, backwards navy and white baseball cap with the tag and stickers still on, long white shirt, distressed jeans, white nikes. 5'7", about 180lbs. He probably weighed more than I did.
  • Docmahi
    Docmahi Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    I will probably get witched like I'm the red headed step child, but I'm a little confused. There are some very mean and ugly comments that have been made to some of the people posting on here. However, some posts just seem to be family members letting you know the truth. Then there was the one post where the chick's sister in law always told her she looked fine then told her she looked better after she lost the weight. This girl was angry that the sister in law DIDN'T say anything before. While society and those around us do a fine job of fat shaming, I believe sometimes we wear our feelings on our sleeves. Sometimes people that know and care about us make comments (like grandma saying you need to lose a few pounds) because YOU NEED TO LOSE A FEW POUNDS! I mean, I know I'm heavy and I have a very long way to go to reach my goal, but I also own a mirror. When my aunts/uncles/grandparents/family/friends expressed concern I understood why. I didn't get butt hurt about it, but I didn't necessarily receive it either. I have sense started a lifestyle overhaul and am making changes. Don't be so sensitive folks, some people really do care.

haha yeah i noted that post earlier - seemed like the sister in law was in a lose-lose
  • tlcarolinagirl
    tlcarolinagirl Posts: 1,700 Member
    Options
    Yeah, sometimes the truth hurts and I guess we all need to face it. For me, my brother telling me I was fat wasn't unusual. Just a little hurtful. But, it's nice I can count on him to not have a filter and call me out. On the other end, it will be a while before I see him again, but when I do, he will definitely tell me I've lost weight in some idiotic way. :) Ahh, the joy of being the only girl.

By the way, those "you have such a pretty face" comments suck donkey balls. Don't even tell someone that. We get what you are implying when you say that, so just keep that compliment(?) to yourself. Just wait until we lose weight and then tell us we are *kitten* hot!
  • AddieOverhaul
    AddieOverhaul Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    My ex would insult me when he got angry. He told me my legs were like tree trunks, and he would call me fat and tell me I looked pregnant. Of course when he wasn't angry he couldn't keep his hands off me...anyways...I dumped his anger-management-issues *kitten* and at the time he said "I'm going to hate it if I run into you one day and you'll have lost a bunch of weight and look really good."

That just motivated me more and I've lost 40 pounds since then. I know for a fact he has seen pictures of me how I look now, and it makes me smile :)
  • janessanessa
    janessanessa Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I've been told, fondly by my own mother, that she does not see what all the hype is about diet and exercise, I'm just going to get fat again anyhow, and I can't beat my genetics. I also loved the part about how she said exercise is a type of "eating disorder"
  • walleyclan1
    walleyclan1 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    My friend said "I can forgive you for still having the baby weight, but not for still wearing maternity clothes"
  • AlwaysInMotion
    AlwaysInMotion Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I wish I could remember the compliments as easily as I do the insults. Funny how our brain works like that.

I had a coworker dump 2 trashbags full of her old, discarded "fat" clothes on my desk at work. That crushed me. My self-esteem was already so low, I didn't say anything. I took the bags unopened to Goodwill. The woman later implied that I had insulted her by not wearing her hand-me-down clothes. (I didn't ask for them or want them, but I made sure they went to good use.)

Oddly enough, some of the meanest comments came after I lost weight. People would openly joke about how fat I used to be. (just wow!) Even worse, they would make fat jokes about other people in front of me. That was the most offensive. I couldn't believe that my "friends" would say stuff like that about other people, and I could only imagine what they used to say behind my back. Around then I finally mustered the courage to speak up. I've been told I have a "fat girl" chip on my shoulder, and maybe I do. But I won't tolerate fat (or thin) bashing.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options

haha yeah i noted that post earlier - seemed like the sister in law was in a lose-lose

If we're all talking about the same comment...I thought it was really really rude and inappropriate for the sister-in-law to specifically mention a bulge or fat roll around the poster's middle had vanished. If she had even said something like, "WOW I can't believe how different you look/how much weight you have lost" I don't think it would be the same thing at all. But the comment almost makes it sound like the SIL was disgusted by that one physical feature. Not cool.