Whats the meanest thing someone said about your weight?

Options

Replies

• jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    A few years ago I was really sick with a digestive disorder that caused me to lose more weight than I would have liked. People kept asking me if I had cancer because I was "wasting away to nothing." :sick:

MFP helps me make sure I get enough calories so I can maintain my weight when my digestive issues flare up. And when I'm feeling well and eating more, it helps me make sure I don't get too many calories. I love it! :heart:
  • bbg_daryl
    bbg_daryl Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    My eight year old niece once told me, "You'll never do anything with your life and you'll never have kids and you'll never wear a bikini." She's now mature enough to not only know that I flunked out of college, don't have a job, physically can't have kids, and I'm fat.... but to also understand what it all means and what it says about me as a person. It would've hurt me no matter who said it, but because it was her it felt a million times worse. I've heard crueler words from strangers in the past, but none of them compared to this.
  • JNettie73
    JNettie73 Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    My MIL said this to me a few years ago - she is a nasty beast.

She looked at a picture of herself and said "UGH. I look like I am 300 lbs. So disgusting." Then looked up and down at me with disgust and said "So fat, so fat, so fat."

She makes holiday gatherings a lot of "fun". :noway:
  • SweetLilyR
    SweetLilyR Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I've gotten comments on my body since middle school - it's tough being nearly 6 feet tall when you're 11 years old and already going through puberty. I had a perfect hourglass figure in high school, and could even hold water on my stomach when I laid flat on my back - and yet I was always told that I was fat and huge by my peers.

After I injured my knee (nearly a total reconstruction) playing varsity tennis, I started putting on weight...I started getting rejected by guys because I wasn't skinny enough - the worst was when an ex boyfriend from high school said that my weight gain was okay because there'd be "more cushion for the pushin' " in an effort to get back in my pants. /EPICfail on his part...I'd get a comment now and then from various people but nothing really too bad that I remember. But the comments I've gotten as an adult from other adults...those are the mean, spiteful ones that stick in my head.

Comments from my evil mother-in-law, disguised as concern for my health but said in such a tone..."I didn't know women your size could do yoga/pilates/karate/walk so far". This summer I completed a 2 mile swim each day while at their summer camp - her response, "I didn't know you could actually swim. I thought you were just relying on your weight to float around." I nearly slapped her for that, considering her three uber-fit sons couldn't even do it. When I was 3 days from my daughter's due date, I was taking a walk and had three young guys trail behind me, oinking and mooing, calling me a fat c*** and telling me I was jiggly and needed to lose weight. I managed to turn around and tell them to bugger off, that I was pregnant...which only spurred them on more, telling me that I'd be a s***** mother because I was so fat. I cried the rest of the walk home and for two days after.

Even now, when my confidence is higher than it's ever been, I'll often get the "such a pretty face" comment often. My favorite comment lately has been, "Are you sure you're a BBW? Your face is too thin for you to be so big!" Yesterday I had a guy online who I like a lot tell me that he thought I was absolutely beautiful...and then tell me that he doesn't find obese women attractive at all. Ummm, do you not notice the double chin and lack of collarbones in my pictures?? I've noticed lately that my confidence is starting to shine through more and more, and I've been getting more compliments and fewer rude comments. It might also be that I'm no longer afraid to be rude right back...
  • bmqbonnie
    bmqbonnie Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    My grandpa used to always comment on my weight when I saw him. I didn't even want to see him anymore. I was in middle/high school and it's just not something you deal well with at that age.

My mom seems to have inherited this now that she's older. She does the same thing. First thing she asks the 1 or 2 times a year I make it home is how much I weigh. I just made a post on facebook about how excited I was that my wedding dress arrived at the shop and her comment was "I hope you did not out grow it." WTH??? I don't get it.

Plus, I've pretty much been the same weight +/- 5 lbs since losing 40 yet she feels the need to be up to date on this factor of my life more than anything else. Plus at one point she was convinced I was anorexic so you'd think she wouldn't be just waiting to pounce on me for any gained weight.
  • arcana7609
    arcana7609 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    They were mean things to say, but at the time I don't remember being particularly hurt by it.

In junior high this boy walked up to me and said "I didn't vote for you because no one wants a fat cheerleader"

I got on the squad anyway. I weighed 218lbs. My floor cheer I did a front walkover into Chinese splits. The other contenders did cartwheels.

I'm awesome. :laugh:

In the line for lunch one day this boy started making fun of me for being fat. I told him to shut up or I would kick him in the face. He said "you're so fat you couldn't lift your leg high enough to kick me in the ankle." I kicked him in the face. His cheek was red and he turned around and kept his mouth shut after that. I meant to just swoosh my foot by his face, but I didn't gage the distance very well. I felt kind of bad about connecting.
  • arcana7609
    Options
    A kid at the park poked me in the stomach one time and said "Who's in there?' with this sly little grin because he knew I was fat and not pregnant. I told him "The last kid that asked me that" :tongue:
  • WhisperAnne
    Options
    At my heaviest I was called "Fat *kitten*, wide load, Toad" list goes on..and all this was from my family. -_-
  • invisibubble
    invisibubble Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    It'd have to be between the years I was called "Kim-belly" when I was a child (my name is Kimberley) by a group of my family and incessantly mocked, or my dad saying "at least I don't look like I have another person wrapped around my waist" when i was a teenager. These things stick, as a kid.
  • WhisperAnne
    Options
    Not to mention in school where I was picked on everyday. One time a group of guys threw Subway coupons at me and told me to start eating there. Then my cousin's friend one time picked up a pair of my shorts and said "you could fit three people in here" and laughed like a hyena. Needless to say I hated people then.
  • WhisperAnne
    Options
    My grandpa used to always comment on my weight when I saw him. I didn't even want to see him anymore. I was in middle/high school and it's just not something you deal well with at that age.

My mom seems to have inherited this now that she's older. She does the same thing. First thing she asks the 1 or 2 times a year I make it home is how much I weigh. I just made a post on facebook about how excited I was that my wedding dress arrived at the shop and her comment was "I hope you did not out grow it." WTH??? I don't get it.

Plus, I've pretty much been the same weight +/- 5 lbs since losing 40 yet she feels the need to be up to date on this factor of my life more than anything else. Plus at one point she was convinced I was anorexic so you'd think she wouldn't be just waiting to pounce on me for any gained weight.

My Grandfather always picked on my weight too. He made me feel horrible. Out of my whole family he was the worst about it.
  • SilviCor
    SilviCor Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    When I was pregnant and had put on more than just baby weight, my now ex-husband told me that I looked like the "before" picture in a weight loss ad.
  • arcana7609
    Options
    Not to mention in school where I was picked on everyday. One time a group of guys threw Subway coupons at me and told me to start eating there. Then my cousin's friend one time picked up a pair of my shorts and said "you could fit three people in here" and laughed like a hyena. Needless to say I hated people then.

I feel you on that one. My cousin took my bra one time and hung it on a nail outside our room at camp and all the guys were shining flashlights on it and laughing about how big it was.

Kids are brutal.
  • WhisperAnne
    Options

I feel you on that one. My cousin took my bra one time and hung it on a nail outside our room at camp and all the guys were shining flashlights on it and laughing about how big it was.

Kids are brutal.

Kids are awful, I honestly have never wanted children because I know how cruel they are.
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I think one of the worst things I heard (which I heard often) was...."You'd be so pretty if only you lost weight".....wow..what a backhanded compliment! lol! I always thought "Ohh so I guess I'm a menace to society now???"
  • arcana7609
    Options
    At my heaviest I was called "Fat *kitten*, wide load, Toad" list goes on..and all this was from my family. -_-

Strangers making fun of you is hard enough, but there is such betrayal when it's from a loved one who is supposed to love you unconditionally and have your back.

I would be made fun of on the way to school, at school, on the ride home from school and then by my father when I got home. No sanctuary. My confidence as a young fat girl slowly turned into bitterness and anger and self-loathing as a teenager and young adult. I look back and I feel such pity for that girl.
  • rachjenn
    Options
    My mum says unintentional things. A guy at work asked if I'd lost weight, so I told my Mum only for her reply to be "it must have been the top you were wearing- was it black?" as black is slimming. She felt instantly awful after she said it but that doesn't help me forget!

My best mate has always had an issue with food and I try to help when I can. One of our other mates said to her "God you've gone so skinny, I'm so jealous" so I replied with "calling someone skinny isn't a compliment, it's like calling someone fat" She soon shut up. I hate it when people say "you're so skinny".

My boyfriend's sister is another who has a food problem- she's about 5"2 and 8 stone. I'm 5"8 and a lot heavier - when I told her my weight, she said "Oh well you don't look fat" Charming! I'd rather be heavy but toned, than light and flabby thank you v much.
  • arcana7609
    Options

Strangers making fun of you is hard enough, but there is such betrayal when it's from a loved one who is supposed to love you unconditionally and have your back.

I would be made fun of on the way to school, at school, on the ride home from school and then by my father when I got home. No sanctuary. My confidence as a young fat girl slowly turned into bitterness and anger and self-loathing as a teenager and young adult. I look back and I feel such pity for that girl.
    Honestly, I think one of the worst things I heard (which I heard often) was...."You'd be so pretty if only you lost weight".....wow..what a backhanded compliment! lol! I always thought "Ohh so I guess I'm a menace to society now???"

I've had that one my whole life. I was going to write you should tell them "I'm pretty now B****" When I was typing it I heard the phrase narrated in my head by Jesse Pinkman's voice from Breaking Bad.
  • Tinatot125
    Tinatot125 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I noticed some clothes were missing from my wardrobe. I asked my mother had she seen them and she told me she put them in the chairty bag because I had gotten too big to wear them. I flipped out at her and took them back out of the charity bag and now love wearing all of them in front of her even though they are all too big now.
  • patrickfish7
    patrickfish7 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Being told by my mother-in-law that I was fat. THAT was the moment...